Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 9:00pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? 2024 edition (Read 3209 times)
Bud_Bent

Did you ride today? 2024 edition
Jan 4th, 2024, 6:15pm

The forum has only crashed a couple of times in all these years, but both times, it's been the big Did you ride thread that's taken the worst of the crash. It makes me wonder if such a giant thread file has caused the forum software problems. So, let's start a new Did you ride thread every year. Whoever posts the first ride report in 2025, start a new Did you ride post instead of using this one.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today? 2024 edition
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2024, 9:05pm

Yay! The Forum is back up. Thanks Bud.

Thursday 1/4/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Lynn M, Butch Y, and me.

Larry, E Bob, and Kenny each rode solo. Ride leader, Bob M, is out with the flu, so I led Lynn and Butch on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Lynn, Butch, and I rode to the Green Spot to join Kenny, E Bob, Johnnybent, and Craig B for lunch and to celebrate Craig's birthday. Johnnybent, an accomplished artist, presented Craig with a framed watercolor rendering of a Dodge automobile. Craig used to own a hemi-powered Dodge Challenger drag racing car. Following lunch, Lynn rode the short route back to Sunset Bay, while Butch and I completed a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 51.9 miles at a 17.3 mph average. Max speed was 27.3 mph, sprinting with a south wind at our backs in the SoPac bottoms. Average heart rate was 92 bpm, which means I got a good workout for someone who takes a heart rate lowering beta blocker.

The trails were sparsely populated which led to us achieving a decent average.  

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2024, 9:02pm

My 2023 mileage and other stuff recap!
3,725 miles road bikes (Neuvation, Specialized Roubaix)  
75 miles road tandem (Santana)  
2,380 miles recumbent trikes (Catrike 700, Bacchetta Carbon Trike)  
4,139 miles velomobile (DFXL)  
10,319 miles 2023 total  
268,169 feet total climbing, 2023 (or put another way, equivalent to 50.8 miles)  
8,381,464 feet total climbing, 1996 thru 2023  
 (or put another way, equivalent to 1587.4 miles)  
600 hours moving time, 2023  
297,303 miles 1996 thru 2023 Texas miles, actual  
182,000 miles 1970 thru 1995, estimate, California  
479,000 lifetime miles, estimate (excluding pre-1970 mileage)

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2024, 6:15pm

Saturday 1/6/23 WRL Ride:

Just Lynn M and I showed up for today's ride. I was on my Catrike Speed, and she was on her Catrike 700. I led her clockwise out of Sunset Bay around 10:00 am under cloudy skies with the temperature at 42 degrees and wind blowing from the north. We rode to the north end of the SoPac Trail where we did a 180 and headed back down the trail to the Ridgewood Trail entrance, which we took and did a round trip to Glencoe Park. The Ridgewood Trail is supposed to be closed to traffic at the Matilda bridge from Jan 4 to the 19, but the construction company has created a pathway for cycle and pedestrian traffic through the construction area. The only work taking place right now is removal of the fencing between the trail and the Dart train tracks. When we re-entered the SoPac, we rode to the north end again, did a 180, rode back to the lake, then to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail. After riding both branches of the Spine Trail, we rode counterclockwise back to Sunset Bay. After a break, we did a lake lap, then rode to the Green Spot for lunch. Following lunch, we completed a counterclockwise lake lap. My aged Garmin shut off twice during our ride, so I don't have any accurate ride data, but I know from previous rides that we got in a little over 53 miles,

Not a lot of cycle and pedestrian traffic on the trails, due to the chilly weather. The north wind made the temperature feel lower.

Before lunch, my legs were operating at 50 to 75 % usual power output. After lunch, they were around 90%.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2024, 9:46pm

2-Jan-24      TUE      Solo Velomobile South Loop

Today, as it was to be in the 40s for my ride and cloudy, I put on the race cap. That results in about 5 times as many motorists slowing down next to me trying to figure out what I am. The first one, on Rowlett Rd, no more than 3 miles from the house, sat in the left lane matching my speed, which was about 28 mph for a quarter mile, backing up a mass of vehicles behind me. When cars match my speed, I don't look at them, lest they try to have a conversation with me. It's been known to happen. Finally, they moved on. I was concerned angry motorists would take it out on me. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Motorists slowing down next to me happened a couple dozen more times. Nonetheless, I'm glad I put the cap on. It was cold and using it helped keep me warm.
 bike: DFXL; start time: 11:35; end: 14:26; avg:20.2; max: 42.6; climb: 1417; miles:51.29  
CLOUDY; wind: ESE 5; start temp: 43; avg: 45; end: 47

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2024, 9:48pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2024, 9:46pm

6-Jan-24      SAT      North Loop Velomobile ride with Doug

With a start from the shop, we did our usual ride over to Richardson, north through Plano and Frisco, east on Virginia Pkwy to Lake Forest, south through part of McKinney to Stacy and then east to our lunch stop at Rosa's Cafe. After lunch, we continued east on Stacy to Angel Pkwy, south to Parker, east to Murphy Rd and south to Betsy. On Betsy we headed west to the shop. It was cold. I put the race cap on my velo and that protected me from the cold wind making it a very pleasant ride overall. The avg temperature shown, 55°, is the temperature inside the velo in the warmer air. Outside the velo was about 10 degrees cooler with a wind chill.
 BIKE: DFXL; start time: 12:29; end: 16:20; avg: 21.8; max: 38.9; climb: 1188; miles: 51.14  
CLOUDY; wind: WNW 4; start temp: 46; avg: 47; end: 49

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2024, 12:42pm

SOLO mostly at the LAKE

I got started right around noon and brought the trike because in the wind we had today, I didn't want to be on a road bike. Velo Vets was supposed to be today at 10 and I didn't want to start with them in the low 40s when it would be much warmer a couple hours later. I came across Kenny, at the portapotty at Jackson Point and chatted with him for a while. Otherwise, I would have done this entire ride non-stop other than nature breaks. I was down to the last lap when a road bike rider I'd passed earlier caught up to me.  I hadn't recognized him. He was an old friend from the PBA and I rode the entire final lap with him.  But he actually slowed me down. I preferred to ride faster but I didn't want to be rude, so I rode his pace for the final 10+ miles. and, of course, we were catching up on things. I normally see him at the lake but last time was sometime last year. Anyway, good day to get out despite the ridiculous wind. However, the wind eased up quite a bit by the time we were on that last lap. There were barely any white caps on the lake by then.  It was sustained at 16, gusting to 26 by the time I finished, vs the 17, gusting to 34 when I started. That was truly a tough wind!    

bike: CATRIKE 700; start time: 11:58; end: 14:55; avg:16.9; max: 28.7; climb: 1316; miles:43.02; mtd miles:182.27; ytd miles:182.27
SUNNY; wind: SW 17-34; start temp: 50; avg: 54; end: 64

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2024, 12:43pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2024, 7:05pm

Thursday 1/11/23 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Larry and Kenny rode solo. Bob M, back from a battle with a virus, led Lynn, Butch, Don, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. After 41 miles, Bob called it quits. The rest of us rode to the Green Spot for lunch. Johnnybent was cruising around in his Toyota sports car and happened to stop at the Spot. He joined us as we ate and conversed on a wide range of subjects. Following lunch, Lynn and Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while I led Butch and Don on a fast (19.1 mph ave.) counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 52.2 miles at a 15.2 mph average.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2024, 6:17pm

11-Jan-24      THU      Poteet Night Ride

The 3 of us (Ed, Eva, me) took advantage of an abnormaly warm winter evening. The warmth was supported, in part, by very strong south and SE wind gusting up to 38 and sustained at 16. There was, in fact, a wind advisory during our ride. The ride south was challenging to say the least. Of course, that meant the ride north would be the opposite - much faster and more pleasant. This was our first evening ride since Dec 14th - very close to a month ago! It eas good to finally get together for the evening ride and just before the weather goes south for the next several days.  

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:54; end: 20:21; avg:15.3; max: 27.6; climb: 965; miles: 32.55; mtd miles:214.82; ytd miles:214.82  
CLEAR with WIND ADVISORY; wind: SSE 16-38; start temp: 67; avg: 61; end: 59

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2024, 6:26pm

13-Jan-24      SAT      North Loop Velomobile ride with Doug

Today I wanted to make the best of a decent day. Combining the North Loop with a ride from the house guarantees me an 80-mile day. Started off using the Race Cap which ensures warm conditions inside the velo as the opening for the rider is closed off. I started with a LS jersey over a SS jersey and wicking t-shirt. I used my camp pants because even though I had closed off the outside air circulation from the boom, I didn't know if I'd be warm enough. Turns out I didn't need the camp pants - it was plenty warm. That was certainly helped by a sunny day. On a cold day with cloud cover, the pants might still be necessary. The temperature had warmed up to 38° by the time I got started and I arrived at the shop about 10:40, later than desired. Sometimes the traffic lights don't cooperate.  

It had warmed to the mid-40s, and I was overheated. Off came the LS jersey for the rest of the ride after only 15 miles. As it continued to get warmer, I left the wind screen open more and more. That is like opening the vent in the car - cool air comes in and it helps me regulate the inside temperature. By the time we left the shop, the SW wind had picked up considerably. We had partial headwind heading west, mainly tailwind heading north and east and partial headwind heading south. But after we finished lunch at Rosa's Mexican in Allen, there seemed to be practically no wind. That meant to me that the cold front was nearly on top of us.  

We took off heading east on Stacy, over to Angel Pkwy. We had a very strong west wind at that point. We took Angel south to the Malone split and took that all the way south to Chaparral Rd, hung a right and later a left and worked our way through the new development south of Chaparral, to Parker. Then it was east on Parker and south on Murphy. Doug turned off at Betsy and I continued south. By this time, the wind screen was open 100% of the time. It felt pretty warm. Inside the velo, it was 66°. Usually that means it is about 10° cooler outside. I went a different way home than the way I started, to avoid traffic near the Bush Tollway and ended up on Rowlett Rd, still heading south. Finally, I neared Chaha Rd traffic light and there was a nice break in traffic. I got over to the left lane and made the left turn lane just as I got a green arrow - win-win! I took my left on Chaha, another left on Liberty Grove, and reached the Bush Tollway right of way. This part has much lighter traffic and I got onto the Service Road, which is one way south, U-turns at Lake Ray Hubbard and becomes one way north. I turned off of that into my neighborhood and went straight home. Back at home, the day was lovely and warm, and the wind was dead calm! I got the velo unloaded, parked it in the garage and went out to get my mail half an hour later. What a change! The wind was now strong from the north and noticeably chilly.  Wow - lucky to get home before the front arrived! Good ride, no issues, and a nice ride before this winter blast set in, in earnest!

BIKE: DFXL; START TIME: 9:38; END TIME: 15:32; AVG SPEED: 21.5; MAX SPEED: 39.9; CLIM: 1926; MILES: 80.55; MTD MILES: 295.37  
SUNNY; WIND: S 5; SW 16-25; W 9-13; START TEMP: 38; AVG: 49; END TEMP: 61

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2024, 9:34am

There was no one at the East Side ride start Saturday morning, so I drove back down to the lake and parked on West Lawther just south of the Mockingbird overpass.  In mid-January the sun always feels like it's early morning or late afternoon.  Though it was mostly clear at the start,, there were high clouds that eventually interfered with the sun and the southwest wind was cold and persistent.  I trundled off and did two lake laps with SPT up-and-backs, with pauses at the turn-around.  I only stopped once to use the potty at Sunset bay where I noticed some of the Clown crew's cars.  Traffic was light getting denser after noon.  I saw three trikers and a hand-cycle but only saw the Clowns when they whizzed past me as I was loading the trike back into the car.  40 miles at 15.9 mph.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2024, 12:44pm

Saturday 1/13/24 WRL Ride:

Lynn M, Don C, and I waited in the Sunset Bay parking lot until 10:00 AM for other riders to show up, but none did, so I led Lynn and Don out counterclockwise on the lake trail, headed for the north end of the SoPac Trail. Once there we did a 180 and headed south for the Ridgewood Trail exit. Lynn and I stopped at Ridgewood Park to wait for Don. While we were waiting, Lynn took a call from Don who informed her he was still at the north end of the SoPac with a dead motor on his Sprint e-trike. I installed the Bafang drive on his trike but couldn't offer any suggestions as to what could be wrong. He said he would limp back to Sunset Bay in a 58T/36T gear combination, and for Lynn and I to continue on on our usual route. Subsequently, we did a round trip to Glenco Park through the construction area at the Matilda bridge, again rode to the north end of the SoPac, and did a 180, and headed south for the lake. When we reached the Mockingbird Lane overpass, we ran across Don, who was headed north. He turned around and joined us. He informed us that the reason his trike's motor was not operating was because a motor kill switch had been activated by a partially locked brake handle (each of the two brake handles have kill switches mounted on them). We continued south to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail, rode both branches, then rode counterclockwise back to Sunset Bay. After a break, we did a clockwise lake lap, then rode to the Green Spot where we met Craig B for a birthday lunch for Don, whose birthday is today. Following lunch, we noticed the wind had shifted to the north, and it was cooler, as we prepared to ride back to Sunset Bay. Lynn took the short route back, while Don and I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. When we reached Big Thicket, we ran across Butch Y, who had gotten a late start. He rode back to Sunset with Don and I where we all called it quits with the temperature significantly lower than when we entered the Green Spot. Got in 52.8 miles at a 16.6 mph average. My legs were burning. The cold weather and headwinds probably contributed to that. I can't wait for summer to return.

We encountered several road bike pelotons on the trails, but not a whole lot of bike riders overall. Don ran across Clown Ride leader, Bob M, when he was riding on the SoPac by himself, but Lynn and I never saw him.

We ran across some big groups of pedestrians partially blocking the trails and a lot of walkers with dogs on long leashes.

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2024, 12:52pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2024, 6:01pm

Thursday 1/18/23 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Bob M, Kenny J, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

When I arrived at Sunset Bay, the only Clown in the parking lot was Kenny. Looked like it was going to be just him and me riding today, but later Butch, Bob, and Don arrived. Kenny rode solo. Bob led the rest of us on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Bob called it quits at 41 miles. The rest of us rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. We ran across Dainiel S at the Spot. He was riding with the Velo Vets today who stopped at the Spot for a break while we were eating lunch. Following lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while I led Butch and Don on the completion of a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 52.1 miles at a 16.5 mph average.

It was in the low 40s when I arrived at Sunset Bay and the mid 50s when I left. A cold wind was blowing off the lake and wind-blown water in the form of ice lined the southeast shore of the lake.

No incidents or mechanicals today and just a few cyclists and pedestrians on the trails.

Current extended weather forecast indicates it's going to be too cold to ride this weekend and too wet to ride until next weekend.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2024, 10:45pm

18-Jan-24      THU      Velo Vets special day

I had to run an errand over off of 75, after 9AM, and by coincidence Herb had a special Velo Vets ride scheduled for noon. Since I couldn't start at the same time as the Clowns, I opted to bring my road bike and join the Velo Vets. I arrived a bit early and rode a little more than 8 miles before the ride start. At first I rode with Lynn and Di. They lagged the main group though and I had planned to ride with Cindy. So when we approached the Flagpole Trail I let Lynn know that I needed to catch up with Cindy as we had planned to ride together. I sped up to catch the group which I found on West Lawther a little south of Mockingbird and Cindy was there. We rode 2 laps, chatting and chatted some with Debra, also. The others were up ahead a little and we made it over to the Green Spot. Four of the five who showed up for the Clown Ride were inside. Jay knocked on the window to get my attention. I went inside and visited with the 4 of them for a few minutes. The only one missing was Bob. I was pretty sure he had led the group as I thought I saw him the one time our little road bike group passed the trike group going opposite directions. Then I went back outside to visit with the rest of the Velo Vets who were there. It seemed we were at the Green Spot much longer than usual. Turns out it was 51 min, nearly double the time we usually spend there. We left but it was already 2:30 PM and I was still in hopes I’d make the evening ride, but it would be tight. I told Cindy I had decided not to do another lap as I needed to get home. I’d parked at the Big Thicket today as that location made the most sense. That was my first time to park where the Velo Vets park. All in all, it was a pleasant ride. The temperature had gotten relatively nice and it was good to visit with Cindy and some others at the Green Spot. Unfortunately, it turned out to be too late to make the evening ride.

NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; START TIME: 11:14; END TIME: 14:45; AVG SPEED: 13.4; MAX SPEED: 22.8; CLIMB: 728 FT; MILES: 32.26; MTD MILES: 327.63  
SUNNY; WIND: NW 9-15; START TEMP: 51; AVG: 54; END TEMP: 57

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2024, 6:55pm

20-Jan-24      SAT      North Loop Velomobile Ride with Doug

I had originally planned to drive to Plano as I figured it would be too cold to start from my house. Then I got to thinking, 'what about when I get to Plano? I'll have to stand out in the cold getting my velo ready to ride, a process that takes about 10 minutes. If I get it ready inside my garage, which is usually about 15° warmer inside than outside and no windchill, that would be better, right?' It was a no-brainer. Of course, that was the best option. I already know that riding with the hood on over the manhole keeps the rider very warm - at least 15° warmer inside the velo than the ambient temperature outside, and no wind chill!  

So, at 10:15 AM I rolled out of my driveway and set out toward Plano. Just as I imagined, it was comfy inside the velo, and I did use the hood. I usually go north on the Bush Tollway Service Road but owing to the lateness of the morning, I chose not to go that way. There can be more traffic on that than I care for. This time I road west on Miller Rd to Dexham, north on that to Hickox, and north on that to Merritt. That's a couple miles longer than my usual, but I liked it better. Took me about 50 min to reach, Plano, corner of Los Rios and Park.  

Doug had just arrived at the shop, and we set off a few minutes later. We did our usual, which took us all the way up to Virginia Pkwy, taking us through Frisco, McKinney, and then back south on Lake Forest/Watters to Stacy. Rosa's Cafe is on Stacy, east of Watters. After a leisurely lunch there, where the temperature had reached a nearly balmy 34°, we set out heading east and south - Doug toward Murphy, and me, toward Rowlett. It was a slightly longer distance than last week because I had used an alternate route to reach Merritt, but the rest of the ride was identical to last week's ride, albeit colder!

bike: DFXL; start time: 10:15; end: 16:07; avg:21.0; max: 38.2; climb: 2100; miles: 82.42; mtd miles:410.05
SUNNY; wind: NE 9-6; start temp: 24; avg: 30; end: 35

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #15 - Jan 22nd, 2024, 7:54am

21-Jan-24      SUN      South Loop Velomobile Solo

Now that I know I can do a ride on a cold day without too much discomfort in the velomobile, with the hood on, that opens up days I wouldn’t ordinarily ride. Today, being dry for most of the day, it was an opportunity to get a decent ride and I was hoping the route I had planned would end up being 50+. That worked great.  

I rode across the Rowlett Road causeway across Lake Ray Hubbard to reach a low traffic southbound route which took me through Garland, Sunnyvale, and Mesquite. I didn’t go south of Cartwright in Mesquite but rode east and west on that. Then I tried a new route by turning north off of Cartwright onto Mesquite Valley but continuing north rather than veering off to the NE. I knew I could get to Pioneer that way but was uncertain of the route. I used the map on the Garmin to help with that navigation.  With uncertainty about construction the usual way I would go, I planned on Pioneer because that would take me straight north back to US80 and continuing on Collins. Then at the roundabout, I took a right on Tripp and turned north up the school access road. That was so I could cross Collins at the light and ride through the adjacent neighborhood. That gets me to Stoney Creek and then west over to Jobson. Then I went south on Jobson, looped through the neighborhood just north of 80 and back north on Jobson to Hidden Lake. That was strictly a run for extra mileage. I do it sometimes because it’s easy. Then I took Hidden Lake over to New Hope and north to Town East. I stayed westbound on Town East to the 2nd light, hung a right and rode north to Barnes Bridge. After a turn west on BB I turned right on Palos Verdes and rode north to Northwest Drive and then east to Belt Line. I prefer that indirect route to riding straight north on Belt Line. There is more traffic on Belt Line which I don't care for. I turned right off of Belt Line at the last light before I-30. From there, I take my usual route home, which adds the last 10 miles to my ride.  

Despite the temperature being in the low 30s for the entire ride, I still managed to get too hot. To get relief, I partially unzipped the 3 LS jerseys I was wearing and opened the windscreen more to let some refreshing cool air in. The inside temperature of the velo at the end was 55° - outside, it was 33°. Part of that is me breathing on the Garmin. It probably wasn’t that warm inside the velo. It felt like upper 40s, but again no windchill – that really helps. I did see 2 road bike riders coming north on Rebecca as I was heading south on my outbound. We all waved!

bike: DFXL; start time: 11:57; end: 14:53; avg:18.9; max: 36.4; climb: 1450; miles: 51.56; mtd miles:461.61
CLOUDY; wind: SE 8; start temp: 32; end: 33

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2024, 6:52pm

Thursday 1/25/23 WRL Clown Ride.

Participants: Larry K, Kenny J, Bob M, Don C, Butch Y, and me.  

Larry, Kenny, and Butch all rode solo. Butch didn't arrive at Sunset Bay until the rest of us had gotten in 41 to 47 miles. Bob led Don and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up and backs. On our second trip down the SoPac from its north end, Bob and I lost sight of Don, who was bringing up the rear. We had ridden 2.5 miles when we decided to turn around and look for him. We found him about a half mile from the north end with Larry. One of the Velcro straps on his right pedal had come loose and wedged itself between the chain and chain ring, forcing the chain off to the left where it wrapped itself around the e-drive. Larry and Don had to remove the rear wheel to get enough slack to get the chain unwrapped. Back at Sunset Bay, having ridden 47 miles, Bob called it quits. Don, Kenny, and I planned to ride to the Green Spot. I mounted my trike and started to strap into my right pedal when I noticed one of the Velco straps was about to rip off the pedal. Don and Kenny went ahead and rode their trikes to the Spot while I loaded up my trike in my van and drove there. After lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay and Don completed a counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 47.1 miles at a 15.1 mph average.

Pleasant weather today. Temps were in the 50s and there was hardly any wind.

We all got splattered with dirty water from the many pools of water on the SoPac Trail.  Trail drainage leaves something to be desired. Many low spots in the trail pavement surface. The poor surface quality of the pavement makes for a rough ride. If you ride with your head on a head rest, your head is going to get pounded.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2024, 11:20am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2024, 11:07pm

25-Jan-24      THU      Poteet Night Ride

It was just Eva and I tonight. We had considered riding with Melinda, but Eva was ready to go at 5:40. So I texted Melinda to let her know and we rolled at 5:42. Skies were light for about the first half hour of the ride. That allowed us to get onto the quieter roads by the time it got dark. There was practically no wind, and I expected the temperature to stay around 50. But I guess the clouds broke enough and the temperature dropped as low as 42.8 along Rebecca. My plan was to stay north of 80 and I planned a route that would give us 32.5 miles. That involved doing the eastern part of the route twice. That area was generally bounded by Jobson, Collins, East Fork, Polly, Barnes Bridge, and the 80 Service-road, north side.  I didn’t want to go south of 80 because a key road, Long Creek, was under construction, southbound, and the south side service road was likely to be heavy with overflow traffic from 80. That appeared to be the case. The first time on the 80-service road westbound, eastbound 80 was a parking lot. The second time around it was still heavy, although improved a little. But it was too late then. One area that I wished we had skipped was the access road through the high school. There was a lot of school related traffic and parked cars along that. I’m not sure I would do that again, at least not in the dark. We finished up back at Poteet, not having stopped anywhere. That is not unusual for me when I ride out there solo, but I was wondering how Eva would do without a stop. She seemed unfazed and that’s good. We were surprised that there was no sign of the ‘Eagles’ group – it was just our 2 cars at the finish just as it had been when we left.

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:42; end: 19:51; avg:15.6; max: 28.8; climb: 1020; miles: 32.86; mtd miles:494.47
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: WSW 2-8; start temp: 55; avg: 45; end: 45; min: 42.8

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2024, 6:38pm

No East Side ride this morning, but I just had to get a few miles, so I went to the lake.  There was a running event still going on which seemed to be winding down.  I started at the dam parking lot and took a trip down the Santa Fe trail to the high school, then back to the SPT.  Then down and onto W. Lawther and around the lake.  The clouds and the chilly and persistent wind made for an uncomfortable ride, so I did the Santa Fe and rail trail and back for 32 miles at 15.4 mph., then home for a hot shower.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Jan 28th, 2024, 5:05pm

28-Jan-24      SUN      Rockwall-Forney Ride

It was pretty darned chilly at our start time of 9 AM. It was 34° when I arrived at Eva’s, but that was 20 min before 9 AM. Strava shows it was 37° at our start. In any case, we were blessed with sunshine, a NW wind (tailwind on first half), and expectation that it would warm up quickly. I think it did – by the time we reached Forney, it was 45° and when we left, my Garmin was showing a shade temp of 50°. But the return trip felt shockingly cold – that headwind was frigid. I had taken my ski gloves off and my windbreaker and I intensely regretted that during the start back to Rockwall. It was quite uncomfortable on the way back although it became less so as we neared Rockwall. I would say, in the last 5 miles, I was reasonably comfortable. I pulled part of the time; Eva did at other times. It was a balanced ride, I thought. It was nice to get this ride and I felt good for all of it. Not riding on Saturday helped, I would say!

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 9:01; end: 12:49; avg:14.6; max: 28.8; climb: 1732; miles:43.23; mtd miles:537.7
SUNNY; wind: NW 6; start temp: 37; avg: 45; end: 55

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Jan 29th, 2024, 3:53pm

29-Jan-24      MON      Short South Loop

I stepped out early afternoon to move my trash barrel back in and couldn't believe how fantastic it had become. Just couldn't pass up a ride. Rode down to Sunnyvale, did a couple loops, and headed home. 2 of those loops took me along westbound 80. Eastbound 80 was a total parking lot!! That was at 1:30. At 2:15, same thing. But it was just east of Collins. West of Collins those poor folks rolling east probably had no clue about what lay in wait for them. In any case, I had better luck on my ride than folks on 80. Nice to be able to get a good ride from the house!

bike: DFXL; start time: 12:54; end: 15:06; avg:22.2; max: 38.1; climb: 1407; miles: 47.49; mtd miles:585.19
SUNNY; wind: WSW 7; start temp: 62; avg: 66; end: 70

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2024, 8:24pm

I found Butch, Jay, and Kenny at Sunset Bay when I pulled in this morning.  Larry arrived after me and E-Bob and John and Heidi were there when we finished the first lap.  Kenny started before us, and Jay found he couldn't et his battery to work, and went home to deal with that.  Butch and I did a SPT up and back and lake lap, with Larry near us most of the way until he pulled away on the last five miles.  Jay was back when we rolled in.  He had had to fix a cable from his battery, but made a mistake and lit it up trying to connect it up there in the parking lot.  He didn't ride with us.  Butch, Larry, and I took another long lap.  Handcycle Bob joined us coming back down the SPT.  I kept up a pretty good pace on both laps to average 16.2 mph for 41 miles.  Larry's average was a bit higher.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Jan 30th, 2024, 8:46pm

Tuesday 1/30/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Bob M, Butch Y, and me.

Larry, E Bob, and Kenny rode solo. Bob M led Butch on two lake laps and SoPac up-and-backs.

I didn't get to ride with Bob and Butch. I've been waiting for dry weather so I could ride my Greenspeed Aero trike. Today was going to be the day. I showed up early at Sunset Bay, unloaded the Aero from my van and started prepping it. After everyone else had arrived, discovered that one of the Aero's battery connectors was missing. I loaded up the trike and left for home as Bob and Butch were doing their initial rollout. Fabricated a connector in my garage, then drove back to Sunset Bay and unloaded the Aero. Prepped the trike, got on it and tried to turn on the display. Uh oh, no power. Got off the trike, separated the connector, checked the voltage, then re-engaged the connector. POW! 58.8-volt arc. I had mistakenly installed the new connector backwards, so there was a big reverse polarity arc that blackened the male and female connector components. So, it was back to my garage for the second time to correct the problem. By the time I got back to Sunset Bay, Bob M, Butch, and Kenny had completed 41 miles, and it was time for lunch. I unloaded the Aero, prepped it, powered up the display, and we were off to the Green Spot with me in the lead. About 1/3 mile east of Sunset, I lost power. Fiddled with the connector and the power came back on. After we started the long climb up Tiffany Hill, behind Dallas Academy, the Aero lost power. Butch informed me that a wire had come loose from the connector (poor soldering job). I turned around and rode back to Sunset Bay under muscle power. I came off the hill by the Stone Tables at 24.5 mph and sustained over 22 mph for about 1/4 mile on the flats (the old guy has still got a little muscle left  Smiley). Back at Sunset Bay, I loaded up the trike then drove to the Green Spot to join Butch and Kenny for lunch and conversation. Got in only 1.94 miles. A great riding day wasted. I should fire my mechanic, but that's not going to happen because he's me.

Found the lost power connector when I got back home, so the Aero's going to be fully operational for Thursday's Clown Ride.

My Greenspeed Aero e-trike. Battery is located in the pod at the rear. 750-watt Tongsheng mid drive at the front.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2024, 8:15pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Jan 31st, 2024, 11:49pm

31-Jan-24      WED      Velo Vets Cut Short

I have no public comments.

BIKE: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; START TIME 8: 54; END TIME 10:24; AVG: 15.3; MAX 26.1; CLIMB: 404; MILES: 18.29; MTD MILES: 603.48
SUNNY; WIND: CALM; START TEMP: 45; AVG TEMP: 49; MAX TEMP: 54

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Feb 1st, 2024, 9:22pm

Thursday 2/1/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, Kenny J, Bob M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Larry and Kenny both rode solo. Don arrived late and did 30+ miles solo. I reported on Thursday that my Aero trike would be fully operational today. Well, that didn't happen. Bob M led Butch and I out on an initial lake lap and SoPac Trail up-and-back. Initially, I thought the trike's drive was functioning, but when we started riding into the headwind, I couldn't keep up with the pace Bob was setting. I tried increasing the assist level to no avail. Finally, came to the conclusion that the drive was providing no assist. When I was halfway to the dam I turned around and rode back to Sunset Bay where I loaded the Aero in my van and drove home. Unloaded the Aero, loaded my Catrike Speed, and drove back to the lake. Just as I finished prepping the Speed, Bob and Butch returned to Sunset Bay, after getting in 20+ miles. Rode with Bob and Butch on their second lake lap and SoPac up-and-back. Back at Sunset Bay it was time for lunch, so Butch, Kenny, and I rode to the Green Spot. Don's SUV was in the parking lot, but he was out riding the trails. He eventually joined us at the Spot. Following lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay. I led Don and Butch on the completion of a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Back at Sunset Bay, Don decided he wanted to ride another lake lap. Since I was short on miles for going home to exchange trikes, I joined him. Total mileage for the day was 42. Mileage for the last lake lap was 11.2 at a 19-mph average. Got good workouts on the last two lake laps.

Good riding weather today. Would have been perfect if not for the southerly head winds.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Feb 2nd, 2024, 7:36am

1-Feb-24      THU      POTEET RIDE

Ed was not enthralled with his experience on Tuesday. He'd had to walk his bike a significant distance on the south side frontage road along Hwy 80 due to bumper-to-bumper traffic. He wanted to do what Eva and I had done last Thursday. So, we started out doing that, but I knew I would have to add miles to make up for not going through the high school area off of Tripp. The adjustments I made to the route ended up adding a couple miles to what Eva and I got last Thursday. The east loop including the side trip to Barnes Bridge was done twice. Ed was fine with the mileage. His words, "it was a good workout!"

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:24; end time: 19:47; avg speed: 16.4; max speed: 28.1; climb: 1047; miles: 35.23; ytd miles: 638.71
CLEAR; wind: S 12-26; start temp: 68; avg: 61; end temp: 59

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #26 - Feb 3rd, 2024, 5:41pm

With the cloudy, cool weather this morning, I decided to drive to the lake to ride. As I respected, the traffic was fairly light there.  There was a bit of a southwest wind, and I turned into it to do the Santa Fe trail to the school and back, then headed up the SPT.  All the puddles were full on the trail, and the mud was reactivated.  Thence back down to the W. Lawther access and around the lake.  I spotted Jay's minivan at sunset, and weaved through the foot traffic on the trail by the arboretum.  As I approached the dam, I encountered Jay coming the other way, and I pulled into the lower overlook and waited.  He came up in a minute, and I waited for him to use the little plastic room.  We did another Santa Fe tour, and came back to get onto W. Lawther and do another lake lap, as Jay was averse to splashing through the SPT.  I finished my ride with 41 miles and came home, while Jay continued on to get some more miles (and, no doubt, to improve his average speed).

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - Feb 3rd, 2024, 6:53pm

Short South Loop

Had planned to get out and ride much earlier, but despite the rainless forecast, it looked like it would rain. I didn't get to ride with Doug, either. He had gotten out early and encountered sporadic rain in his area. 2 hours after I decided not to ride because it looked like it would rain, the sun was out, and I decided then and there I would ride. I didn't plan on anything long. My recent habit of staying north of Hwy 80 was working out well and that is what I decided to do. I did ride south through the high school along the access road and there was a boat show going on there - all the parking areas were filled with outboard motorboats on trailers hooked up to pickup trucks. I can't say I've ever seen anything like that before. The temperature was pleasant and there was wind although it wasn't strong enough to feel on the velomobile.  

bike: DFXL; start time: 14:51; end: 17:11; avg: 20.7; max: 38.1; climb: 1299; miles:46.8; mtd miles: 82.0; ytd miles: 685.5
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: S 10; start temp: 63; avg: 65; end: 64

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Feb 3rd, 2024, 7:00pm

Saturday 2/3/23 WRL Ride:

Was supposed to ride with Don C and Butch Y today, but they opted out, due to the sloppy trails. I rolled out of Sunset Bay at 8:00 AM and did a clockwise lake lap. After a break, I rolled out intending to do another lake lap. When I reached the parking lot below the dam, decided to see if Bob M's van was in the lot. It was, so I took the Santa Fe Trail in search of him. Rode to Glasgow Dr. No Bob. Then rode to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail and searched both branches. No Bob. On my way back to Sunset Bay, ran across Bob on the trail bridge below the WRL dam. Turned around and joined him on an up and back on the Santa Fe Trail. Back at the lake we did a lake lap. I decided to do another lake lap and left Bob at the lot where his van was parked. Back at Sunset Bay, I rolled out counterclockwise on the lake trail and rode to the Green Spot for lunch. Johnnybent happened to be there, so we ate lunch together (he munched on cookies while I downed a chicken fajita plate). Following lunch, I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 56.7 miles at a 15.5 mph average.

Cloudy and cool when I started riding and sunshine and moderate temp when I finished. A few sprinkles on East Lawther when I was on my third lake lap.

Splish splash. Wet and muddy. I ran off the trail, west of the Stone Tables, dodging a large puddle, and ran into another puddle. My left side got soaked and I got a face full of muddy water.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2024, 6:27pm

4-Feb-24      SUN      Rockwall /Forney /rtn

Cold ride to Forney; windy cold ride back. Saw some sun near the end.

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 9:08; end: 12:43; avg: 15.0; max: 30.3; climb: 1670; miles: 43.71 mtd miles: 125.74; ytd miles: 729.22
CLOUDY, becoming PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: NNE 11; NW 14; start temp: 50 min: 46 avg: 48; max: 55; end: 55

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2024, 6:28pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #30 - Feb 6th, 2024, 6:40pm

6-Feb-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Beautiful day, if a little cool at the start. Gradually warmed up, the sun made an appearance, and the wind was light to calm - thoroughly enjoyable ride with Larry.

bike: CATRIKE 700; start time: 9:39; end time: 12:47; avg: 15.7; max:24.1; climb: 902; miles: 40.45; mtd miles: 166.19; ytd miles: 769.67
SUNNY; wind: Light & variable; start temp: 45; avg: 59; end: 62

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Feb 6th, 2024, 6:40pm

Tuesday 2/6/23 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, Kenny J, Butch Y, Bob M, Lynn M, Don C, and me.

Daniel and Larry rode together. Kenny and Butch rode solo. Butch didn't arrive at Sunset Bay until the rest of us had already gotten in 41 miles. He rode solo after returning to Sunset Bay, after lunch. Bob led Lynn, Don, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Lynn, Kenny, Butch, Don, and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Lynn has just returned from a three-week trip to Argentina and a cruise to Antartica. She regaled us with photos and stories of her adventures. Following lunch, Lynn, Butch, and Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while Don and I completed a 19-mph average counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 52 miles at a 16.6 mph average.

Great riding weather today. Not many pedestrians and cyclists.

Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #32 - Feb 6th, 2024, 7:34pm

bwand Tues 2/6

I got to the lake at 11:15 without my shoes. I'll try again Thursday. The drive was uneventful.

NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #33 - Feb 7th, 2024, 9:44am

Golden years are wonderful  Smiley

IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #34 - Feb 7th, 2024, 11:29pm

7-Feb-24      WED      VELO VETS

Arrived at the lake having realized, while driving over, that I left my potassium citrate bottle home. Could have made up another bottle from the car supply but I didn't have another bottle in the van. Having made the effort to drive over, I wasn't going to leave until i did something. But the only way to control my heart rate without the electrolyte solution I drink to control it, was to ride slowly and try to keep my heart rate below 120. I mostly succeeded in doing that but couldn't keep it under that on the few climbs that exist at the lake. Max HR a low 127; avg a very low 96. No HR spikes. Rode solo before the stop at the Green Spot. Rode with Rocky for 13 more miles after the Green Spot. Also, briefly joining Rocky and I was Mark Shodeen, whom I know from Plano Bicycle Association and rides at the lake whenever he is in town. He saw me and slowed down and chatted for a few miles as he always does when he sees me there. I usually have a low average when I ride with velo vets. Today i didn't ride with Velo Vets and had an especially low average. Despite that, I'm glad I got a decent ride and spent some quality ride time with Rocky.

NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 9:07; end time: 12:57; avg: 12.3; max: 23.8; climb: 787; miles: 37.17; mtd miles: 203.36; ytd miles: 806.84
HIGH CLOUDS; wind: SSE 8-21; start temp: 51; avg: 61; end: 64

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Feb 8th, 2024, 6:28pm

Thursday 2/8/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Larry, E Bob, and Kenny each rode solo today. Bob M led Lynn, Butch, Don, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Larry got in a little over 20 miles before calling it quits, due to a failing front tire on his Velokraft VK2 low racer. He installed a new tire, but still decided to call it quits. Don raced ahead of us several times to get some cardio work in per doctor's orders. He also decided to keep riding after the rest of us called it quits in an attempt to get in 100 miles on his ICE Sprint X Tour trike. After Butch, Kenny, Don, and I got in 41 miles, we rode counterclockwise to the Green Spot for lunch. Following lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay and Butch, Don, and I completed a 10-mile counterclockwise lake lap at a fast 20.2 mph average. Today I got in a total of 52.3 miles at a 16.7 mph average.

Another nice riding day. Few cyclists and pedestrians on the trails.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #36 - Feb 9th, 2024, 5:28pm

8-Feb-24      THU      POTEET NIGHT RIDE

Very enjoyable ride with Ed and Eva. Mild temperature and light wind also helped.

NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:48; end time: 20:29; avg: 16.2; max: 29.7; climb: 889; miles: 32.82; mtd miles: 236.18; ytd miles: 839.66
CLOUDY; wind: SW 6; start temp: 67; end temp: 57

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Feb 9th, 2024, 5:29pm

9-Feb-24      FRI      VELO VETS

Herb had a special ride planned and it sounded interesting, so I made a point of being at the ride start before 9 AM. Trouble is, I had a flat tire within a couple miles of starting out. The group waited just out of sight and Herb and Sandra came back as did Donna and John. They helped and I'm grateful but once the new tube was in and tire pushed on and pumped up, everyone left. I still needed to remount the wheel on the rear. Then the chain fell off and it took me some time to get the chain back on. John came back and I explained what the delay was. Meanwhile, the group moved on and John and I double-timed it around 3 quarters of the lake to make sure we caught up in time to see the next part of the route Herb planned. Good thing we caught up. I felt completely lost for much of the route. But I enjoyed it. After the Dallas Coffee Shop we headed back to Big Thicket. I had just shy of 20 miles and I wanted to do another lap. Donna went with me, and we had some pleasant conversation. We got back to Big Thicket where I was parked, earlier than she thought we would. That was good. She needed to be back in McKinney by a certain time and she had plenty of time to get there.  This was one time I really enjoyed the outing!

NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 8:58; end: 12:33; avg:13.0; max: 23.3; climb: 686; miles: 30.43; mtd miles: 266.61; ytd miles: 870.09
CLOUDY; wind: SSE 4-13; start temp: 53; avg: 61; end: 63

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #38 - Feb 13th, 2024, 5:09pm

Tuesday 2/13/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, and me.

Daniel and Larry rode together. E Bob and Kenny rode solo. Bob M led Lynn, Butch, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. After getting in 42 miles, Lynn, Butch, Kenny, and I rode counterclockwise to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. After we had finished lunch, Johnnybent joined us, and more conversation ensued. After we left the Spot, Kenny and Lynn took the short route back to Sunset Bay and Butch and I completed a fast counterclockwise lake lap. I got in 52.3 miles at a 16.1 mph average.

Weather was great and trails were for the most part clear. Not many cyclists and pedestrians.

When we returned to our trikes, parked on the north side of the Green Spot, I found a sticky note on my trike that read: "You have no flag, so I almost hit you! We cannot see you!" Haven't experienced a comment like that since I quit riding recumbent bikes. Somebody gaslighting me, because I didn't have any close calls with motor vehicles on my way to the Spot. I think what triggered the person was the fact that the three trikes parked adjacent to my trike all had flags on them. I run bright flashing lights on the front and back of my trike. It's my belief that they are more visible than flags.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Feb 13th, 2024, 7:33pm

Jay, I agree with you. I have never used a flag because they are generally invisible to motorists. If the person had any sense, he would have gone in and told you in person and then you could have told him your philosophy in person. My lights are far more visible than any flag would ever be.

13-Feb-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Was running late, so texted Larry not to wait. Arrived at Sunset Bay at 10:05. Larry said he waited until 10:04! Oh well. Got started after about 20 min and decided I could possibly get 2 regular lake laps and then join Larry for his last 20. That was the plan. Rode clockwise around the lake to the north end and then, change of plans, decided to do the Ferndale Loop. That adds about 10 miles. Was finishing that up and heading toward the Big Thicket for a whiz stop when I saw Larry climbing the access trail to avoid hamburger hill. I waved but didn't join Larry. If I had, I would have been 5 miles short on miles at the end. I wanted at least 40 by the end. So, I carried on. i figured I could ride counterclockwise around the lake and get back to Sunset Bay and then I'd have the extra miles I needed. I hoped Larry would still be at Sunset Bay by then. Unfortunately, he wouldn't have been.  

First, I saw the group going the other way. Then I saw Larry going the other way. I needed to U-turn. I was riding along Garland Rd and decided to U-Turn just before the trail goes left across the bridge. Then I high tailed it back the way I'd come and up the SoPac Trail. That's where I caught up with Larry. I rode with Larry after that and finished the ride with about half a mile more than normal. Good enough!

BIKE: CATRIKE   START TIME: 10:24  END TIME: 12:58   AVG SPEED: 17.6   MAX SPEED: 28.7   CLIMBING: 1296   MILES: 40.95   MTD MILES: 307.56   YTD MILES: 911.04    
SKY: SUNNY   WIND: SW 6-10   START TEMP: 46   END TEMP: 62

Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #40 - Feb 14th, 2024, 6:40pm

[quote  I agree with you. I have never used a flag because they are generally invisible to motorists. If the person had any sense, he would have gone in and told you in person and then you could have told him your philosophy in person. My lights are far more visible than any flag would ever be.
[/quote]

Flags are only good in parking lots or when you run into the lake

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Feb 14th, 2024, 8:12pm

Quote from NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob on Feb 14th, 2024, 6:40pm:
[quote  I agree with you. I have never used a flag because they are generally invisible to motorists. If the person had any sense, he would have gone in and told you in person and then you could have told him your philosophy in person. My lights are far more visible than any flag would ever be.

Flags are only good in parking lots or when you run into the lake [/quote]

Words of wisdom from our eldest member.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2024, 8:13pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #42 - Feb 15th, 2024, 9:32pm

Thursday 2/15/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Don C, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, and me.

Daneil and Larry rode together. E Bob and Kenny rode solo. Bob M led Lynn, Butch, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs for a total of 41 miles. Lynn, Butch, Kenny, and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Johnnybent drove to the Spot and joined us for lunch. After lunch, I led Lynn and Butch on the completion of a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay. I got in 52.2 miles at a 16.1 mph average.

Another great riding day, weather wise.

Incident in the in the SoPac Trail bottoms: Bob M, Lynn, Butch, and I were riding north when up ahead a Vickery Meadow denizen, pushing a purloined Tom Thumb grocery cart full of stuff south in the middle of our lane, started loudly yelling some unintelligible garbage at us. Who knows what goes through these people's minds (What's left of them). We just rode around her.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #43 - Feb 16th, 2024, 4:51pm

15-Feb-24      THU      CLOWN RIDE

Figured I could do this ride and the Poteet Ride without too much trouble as long as I skipped the boat club after the ride and went home for a proper lunch. I did that, had a 1½ hour nap and felt great on the 2nd ride of the day. Not planning to make this a habit, though.

BIKE: Catrike 700  /START TIME:  9:40  /END TIME: 12:48   /AVG SPEED: 15.6   /MAX SPEED: 25.4   /CLIMBING: 889   /MILES: 40.23   /MTD MILES: 347.79   /YTD MILES: 951.27  
SKY: high clouds   /WIND: SW 6   /START TEMP: 55   /END TEMP: 66

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #44 - Feb 16th, 2024, 4:52pm

15-Mar-24      THU      POTEET RIDE

This ride was with Ed and Eva. We had a good ride, enjoying mild temperature and light wind. It's been quite a while since I've done 2 rides in one day. Today was special, though, as Larry made a banana nut bread loaf for me, for my birthday, and I agreed to ride in the morning to pick it up while it was fresh. It was 72 miles for the day, but I felt great - no tiredness at all.

BIKE: Neuvation   /START TIME: 17:50   /END TIME: 20:11   /AVG SPEED: 16.7   /MAX SPEED: 29.1   /CLIMBING: 958   /MILES: 32.56   /MTD MILES: 380.4   /YTD MILES:  983.8  
SKY: high clouds  /WIND: SSE 4 /START TEMP: 68   /END TEMP: 59

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #45 - Feb 16th, 2024, 4:53pm

16-Feb-24      FRI      Velo Vets Ride plus Ferndale Loop

I was thinking this morning, do I want to ride with friends on a nice ride or do i want to feel like I'm at the north pole tomorrow with no one I know? No brainer on that question!

BIKE: Neuvation   /START TIME: 8:38   /END TIME: 12:17   /AVG SPEED: 13.9   /MAX SPEED: 34.2   /CLIMBING: 1014   /MILES: 40.81   /MTD MILES: 421.16   /YTD MILES: 1024.64    
SKY: High Clouds   /WIND: SSW 9   /START TEMP: 60   /END TEMP: 72

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #46 - Feb 20th, 2024, 4:18pm

Tuesday 2/20/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Don C, and me.

Daniel and Larry rode together. Kenny and Don both rode solo. Bob led Lynn and me on 2 lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Lynn, Kenny, and I all drove to the Green Spot for lunch, rather than riding. Johnnybent rode his newly acquired 500cc moped to the Spot and joined us for lunch. I got in 41 miles at a 15.5 mph average.

Perfect riding weather today.  

We encountered broken bottle glass at the grade crossing on the SoPac Trail on our first up-and-back. On our second up-and-back I didn't see it because I was right behind Lynn's trike and ran over it. Noticed my left front tire was losing air so stopped and changed out the tube. At the time, Bob and Lynn didn't notice I had stopped, so they kept riding. Arrived back at Sunset Bay about 30 minutes late. The $55, brand-new Scorcher 120 tire is ruined, due to a cut in the sidewall caused by the maliciousness of one of Vickery Meadow's fine citizens.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #47 - Feb 21st, 2024, 8:25pm

18-Feb-24      SUN      Rode My Age in Miles +

Rode my age in miles, but the only problem is, I overshot. The good news is, I know exactly what to do when I turn 79!

BIKE: DFXL   /START TIME: 10:50   /END TIME: 15:14   /AVG SPEED: 20.2   /MAX SPEED: 39.1   /CLIMBING: 2149   /MILES: 79.59   /MTD MILES: 500.75   /YTD MILES: 1104.23    
SKY: SUNNY   /WIND: W 3   /START TEMP: 40   /END TEMP: 53

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #48 - Feb 21st, 2024, 8:26pm

20-Feb-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Chilly start; warm finish; light wind. What could be better? Larry was kind of slow but I didn't care. I thought about that yesterday as I was riding, realizing I was in no big hurry. So while I have e-assist on the trike, I rode it on the lowest setting - assist level 1, which wasn't enough to keep up with Larry. But when i wanted to catch up, I'd just shift to the highest gear - problem solved. It actually got over 80 yesterday but we were done riding by then, at the boat club having a beer and cheetos. Of course, my beer was non-alcoholic. My only regret was that i didn't bring 2 of those. That one beer I had really hit the spot!

BIKE:  Catrike 700  /START TIME: 9:29   /END TIME 12:47:   /AVG SPEED: 15.8   /MAX SPEED: 23.6   /CLIMBING:  892 /MILES: 40.25   /MTD MILES: 941.00   /YTD MILES:  1144.48  
SKY: Sunny  /WIND: SSE 4-6   /START TEMP: 49   /END TEMP: 72

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #49 - Feb 24th, 2024, 6:59pm

Saturday 2/24/24 WRL ride:

Participants: Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

We got a late start, because Don was delayed by accidents on I-75 on his trip down to the lake from Allen. I led our small group out of Sunset Bay clockwise on the lake trail a 10:10 AM. We rode to the north end of the SoPac Trail, did a 180, rode to the Ridgewood Trail exit, then did a round trip to Glencoe Park. Back on the SoPac, we rode to the north end again, did a 180, then rode back to the lake and on to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail. We rode both branches of the Spine Trail, then rode counterclockwise back to Sunset Bay. After a break, we did a clockwise lake lap. Back at Sunset, Lynn loaded her trike in her SUV and left for home. Butch, Don, and I rode counterclockwise to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Following lunch, we completed a counterclockwise lake lap. I loaded up my trike and left for home. Don and Butch continued riding. Don wanted to get in 70+ miles. I got in 53.5 miles at a 17.3 mph average.

We did some fast riding and would have had a higher average if not for the heavy pedestrian, cycle, and motor vehicle traffic on the trails and roads. The first really nice weather for the year brought a lot of people to the lake.

The trails are finally free of standing water, so I rode my Greenspeed Aero trike for the first time since I replaced a failed power connector. I've been experiencing pain in my left knee since installing 150 mm unicyle straight crank arms and moving the booms in on my Catrike Speed and Aero trikes. Replaced the 150 mm arms on the Aero with curved 152 mm arms. No knee pain today. Yea!

Conducted a max speed test on the smooth asphalt of West Lawther today. Got the Aero up to 33.8 mph before spinning out in a 60T/9T gear combo (The Aero has a 28T/9T cassette installed on a Shimano Capreo-style rear hub to compensate for the small 406 mm rear wheel). I'm currently having a 451 mm rear wheel with a Capreo hub built up by John's Trikes and Bikes in Lancaster, TX. I'm going to install it on my Speed trike to improve its top speed.

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2024, 8:01pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #50 - Feb 25th, 2024, 7:37pm

22-Feb-24      THU      CLOWN RIDE

It was a really mild start even though as early as Tuesday's ride. I had a lunch date at 12:30 and wanted to make sure I finished 40 miles in time to change clothes and drive over to the Italian restaurant on Garland Rd. The wind wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Larry joined as well and we were considerably earlier to start than Bob, Lynn, Kenny, and E Bob. Those are the only other riders and vehicles I saw. Finished in plenty of time to get ready for my lunch date. Another reason I'm glad I did this morning ride is that one of the riders who does the evening ride dropped out. I didn't feel like doing it, either, as I was awakened at 3 AM and was noticeably tired while driving home after lunch. So, I lay down on the bed and set my phone timer to wake me up after an hour. Didn't work. I never heard it and in fact slept soundly for 3 hours. Guess I needed that.

BIKE: Catrike 700  /START TIME: 8:47  /END TIME: 11:50  /AVG SPEED: 15.5  /MAX SPEED: 27.8   /CLIMBING:   /MILES:   /MTD MILES:   /YTD MILES:    
SKY: Sunny  /WIND: SW→NW 10-13   /START TEMP: 63   /END TEMP: 76

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #51 - Feb 25th, 2024, 7:39pm

24-Feb-24      SAT      South Loop Velomobile Solo

Was planning on doing the Toler Ride today but Michael and C decided to opt for a 10:30 start, Lyle planned on 8:30, and there was one other person who replied to Pam's email. With a potentially very small turnout and Lyle too fast for me, I decided I would just do a solo run on the velomobile. I enjoy that much more than a road bike ride when i prefer to get extra miles. I also decided there was no reason to start at 8:30 if I was going to do my own thing, so I opted for a slightly later start. My ride went well. While I was shooting for 50 miles it somehow turned into 60 - a mystery. Then I remembered that the round trip from my house is an extra 10 miles.

BIKE DFXL:   /START TIME: 9:24  /END TIME: 12:38   /AVG SPEED: 20.2   /MAX SPEED: 37.2  /CLIMBING: 1601   /MILES: 60.82   /MTD MILES: 641.96   /YTD MILES: 1245.44    
SKY: Sunny   /WIND:  WNW 5  /START TEMP: 55   /END TEMP: 72

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #52 - Feb 25th, 2024, 7:41pm

25-Feb-24      SUN      ROCKWALL - FORNEY RIDE

Rode down to Forney - wasn't easy! We had a mild start, which quickly rose to a very warm temperature, thanks to strong SW wind. Going toward Forney, we had a mix of strong headwind and crosswind. Returning to Rockwall, we had a mix of strong crosswind and tailwind. The avg speed going south was 13.0 mph. Going back it was 16.4 mph. There is a lot of climbing on this ride, too, so no matter which way we were going, the climbs affected the avg, making even the strong tailwind sections, where we were climbing, pretty slow. The company - Eva and Ed - was good, making this ride well worth it despite the difficulty!

BIKE: Neuvstion Road Bike  /START TIME:  9:05 /END TIME: 12:48   /AVG SPEED:  14.7 /MAX SPEED:  31.3 /CLIMBING:  1759 /MILES:  43.24 /MTD MILES:  685.2 /YTD MILES:   1288.68
SKY:  Sunny /WIND:  SW 15-25 /START TEMP:  56 /END TEMP: 79

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #53 - Feb 27th, 2024, 6:23pm

Tuesday 2/27/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Daniel and Larry rolled out of Sunset Bay early and rode two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs together. Bob, Lynn, Butch, and I arrived early, but we didn't roll out until 10:10 AM because Don was running a little late (He drives down 75 from Allen). Bob led us on an initial lake lap and SoPac Trail up-and-back. After a break at Sunset Bay, Bob led us out on a second lake lap and SoPac up-and-back, minus Don who rode solo in an attempt to locate a lost ICE flag. Back at Sunset Bay, after we had gotten in 41 miles, Bob and Lynn loaded up their trikes and left the parking lot. Don located his lost flag near the dam and rolled into the parking lot in time to join Butch and me on our counterclockwise ride to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Following lunch, we completed a very fast counterclockwise lake lap with me in the lead. My max speed, heading south into the wind on the West Lawther flats was 29.1 mph. Back at Sunset Bay, Don and Butch rolled out on a final lake lap, while I loaded up my Aero trike and headed for home. I got in 51.8 miles at a 16.3 mph average. My max speed for the day was 34.1 mph, playing catch up, heading north with the wind on the smooth asphalt of West Lawther.

Perfect riding weather today. I was wearing my summer riding clothes. The trails were not as populated as one would expect on a warm day like today.

Good ride. No incidents or mechanicals.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #54 - Mar 1st, 2024, 11:24pm

26-Feb-24      MON      VELO VETS

Nice morning at the start but boy did it warm up quickly! Rode solo, and then with Cindy, Bill, Rocky, Don, and Lynn before the Green Spot. After the Green Spot, rode with Cindy, Rocky, and solo. Did SoPac, Spine, and a couple laps altogether. Nice to get a decent distance and almost decent avg!

BIKE:  Neuvation Road Bike /START TIME: 9:15  /END TIME:  12:48 /AVG SPEED:  15.0 /MAX SPEED: 24.2  /CLIMBING: 807  /MILES: 43.67  /MTD MILES: 728.87  /YTD MILES:  1332.35  
SKY: Sunny  /WIND:  SW  6-12/START TEMP: 65  /END TEMP: 87

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #55 - Mar 1st, 2024, 11:25pm

27-Feb-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

This was the last of a string of nice days for a while. It is still February after all and still winter. So, while I was tired from yesterday, seemed a shame to waste a nice day by not riding. However, with my back having gone out Sunday, I was concerned about lifting the trike into the back of the van. As it turned out, nothing to worry about. Had no problem doing that. My back is actually much better which is a good thing. Rode with Larry and thought the wind would be much stronger than lately but while tough, it wasn't nearly as tough as Sunday's wind! Overall, got a good ride today. Glad I made the effort to head over to the lake again, this week.

BIKE:   /START TIME: 9:35   /END TIME 12:37   /AVG SPEED: 15.2   /MAX SPEED: 24.5   /CLIMBING: 1024  /MILES: 41.00   /MTD MILES: 769.87  /YTD MILES: 1373.35  
SKY: Cloudy, then Hazy Sun   /WIND: S 12-14  /START TEMP: 69   /END TEMP: 75

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #56 - Mar 1st, 2024, 11:28pm

1-Mar-24      FRI      VELO VETS

Rocky asked me if I had overslept again as the ride was scheduled for a 9 AM start. I hadn't, I just don't like leaving early enough for a 9 AM start because of normal workday traffic. As it turns out, I started my ride at the right time, just the wrong location. Sunset Bay, at that time of morning, is the easiest part of the lake to get to from the direction I'm coming. I know I can ride around the lake the opposite direction of the group and find them. There was no fast group today, so I enjoyed a very relaxed pace. The avg reflects that! Ended up with about 22 miles at the Green Spot, which is equivalent to 2 laps, just like starting at the right location would have been. Had a longer than usual visit at the Green Spot and then decided to head back to the car - I would have 25 miles. It was chilly, I had taken my jacket off, and I didn't want to ride more. Then, less than a mile from the car, I came across Cindy and Bill. Suddenly my interest in riding farther improved. I stopped, put my jacket back on, and away we went to do the Ferndale Loop the reverse direction. That was nice - easy to do and good conversation. It was nice to finish with a worthwhile distance after all.

BIKE: Neuvation Road Bike  /START TIME: 8:59  /END TIME: 13:12   /AVG SPEED: 13.7  /MAX SPEED:  27.2  /CLIMBING: 1122  /MILES: 40.37  /MTD MILES:  40.37  /YTD MILES:  1413.72  
SKY:  Partly Cloudy /WIND:  SSE 5 /START TEMP: 44  /END TEMP: 60

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #57 - Mar 2nd, 2024, 8:56pm

Saturday 3/2/24 WRL Ride:

Participants: Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

We were shooting for a 10:00 AM rollout, but that didn't happen because the chain on Don's Sprint trike came off and wedged itself between the drive housing and the chainring. We rolled out of Sunset Bay with me in the lead at 10:20. The trail was heavily populated with pedestrians and cyclists. We made our way through them and once on the SoPac Trail put the pedal to the metal. We did a 180 at the north end of the SoPac and rode to the entrance to the Ridgewood Trail, which we took, and did a round trip to Glencoe Park. Back on the SoPac, we rode to the north end again, then back to the lake and on to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail. We rode both branches of the trail, then rode counterclockwise back to Sunset Bay. After a break, we rode a lake lap. Back at Sunset Bay, Lynn called it quits, loaded up her 700 trike, and left for home. Butch, Don, and I rode counterclockwise to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Following lunch, we put the pedal to the metal, intending to complete a fast counterclockwise lake lap with me in the lead. Somewhere between the Mockingbird underpass and the entrance to the Buckner underpass disaster struck. The chain on my Aero trike popped and the chain started rubbing on the frame. Inspection of the drivetrain showed that the power idler was missing. We turned around and rode clockwise in attempt to locate the idler and its axle bolt. No luck locating them. I was doing 24 mph when they came off, so they are probably somewhere off East Lawther in a grassy ditch. Good buddies Butch and Don followed me as I limped back to Sunset Bay with the Aero's chain chewing away at the trike's aluminum seat framing. Back at Sunset, I loaded up the Aero and drove home. Butch and Don rolled out, intending to do a fast lake lap. If not for the idler disaster, I was probably going to wind up with an average near 18 mph for 52 miles. Instead, my average was 16.7 mph for 49.3 miles.

Back home, I located a spare idler, some washers, and a spacer. All I need to install the replacement idler is an 8mm bolt and locknut from ACE Hardware.  

« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2024, 8:56pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #58 - Mar 3rd, 2024, 8:50pm

Eastside ride, Sat. Mar. 02, 2024

Heidi and John, and Jim joined Ferd and me for the Eastside ride Saturday morning.  After a late start we headed down Los Rios on the South loop.  John was having a little trouble keeping up--he has not been riding much, so we had a lot of regroups.  Jim left us shortly after the first pit stop.  John developed a troublesome noise and decided to head back on Los Rios and take it easy on the bike.  We finished to find him chatting with Jim in the parking lot.  We three got 30 miles.  I picked up two new front tires for the 700.  The old left tire had an 8 inch streak of cord showing.  The pre-belted Kojaks wouldn't have survived that.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #59 - Mar 4th, 2024, 4:17pm

2-Mar-24      SAT      South Loop Velomobile Solo

Almost didn't do this ride. It was nearly noon when I decided to go through the motions of getting the velomobile ready. I still wasn't committed to riding. I checked the front tires and decided they needed to be topped off. I removed the left front wheel and got to looking closely at the tire tread. There was no tread but there were numerous places where the cord was showing. I decided i needed to replace the tire. Usually replacing a front tire is a huge ordeal and I figured it would completely derail my plan to ride. I decided to start the process anyway as I had a new tire in the garage. Amazingly, it was not an ordeal this time. Removing the old tire and putting the new one on and pumping it up took about 10 minutes! I guess I was still in business for a ride. I checked the right-hand tire, topped it off, and I was ready. The rear tire was fine. Looked like I would get my ride after all. It was a little past noon when I got underway. I was regretting starting out as late as i was because the air felt hot! There was a pretty stout south wind and once I started heading into it, it didn't feel as hot. That was good.  The wind felt great. At the same time, I was glad I wasn't on my road bike. As usual I took no rest stops. Time stopped of 7½ minutes was mainly from traffic lights and waiting on cross traffic at stop signs. I'm glad I got out for a ride as it felt good (once I got used to the heat).

BIKE: DFXL  /START TIME: 12:19  /END TIME: 15:05  /AVG SPEED: 21.2  /MAX SPEED: 40.5  /CLIMBING: 1519  /MILES: 56.06  /MTD MILES:  96.43 /YTD MILES:   1469.78
SKY:  Sunny /WIND: S 12-20  /START TEMP: 73  /END TEMP: 81

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #60 - Mar 4th, 2024, 4:18pm

3-Mar-24      SUN      Rockwall-Forney Ride

I've done this ride many times in strong headwind. Today's may have been the toughest south wind we have endured. I don't know if it was, but I do know I feel wiped out. On the other hand, the return trip was great. It just wasn't great enough to offset the fatigue I felt from going south.  

BIKE:  Neuvation Road Bike  /START TIME:  9:06 /END TIME:  12:43 /AVG SPEED:  14.6  /MAX SPEED:  31.2 /CLIMBING:  1719 /MILES:  43.25 /MTD MILES:  139.68 /YTD MILES:  1513.09  
SKY: Sunny  /WIND:  SSW 16-22 /START TEMP: 63  /END TEMP: 74

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #61 - Mar 4th, 2024, 4:19pm

4-Mar-24      MON      VELO VETS

Started off relatively warm and got warmer. There was some wind which felt strong but was below white cap level. So my impression that it was too strong was probably related to being tired from yesterday's ride. Fortunately, I had good friends nearby and that helped the enjoyment of the ride.  

BIKE: Neuvation Road Bike  /START TIME: 8:51  /END TIME: 12:08  /AVG SPEED: 14.9  /MAX SPEED: 24.1  /CLIMBING: 853  /MILES: 40.08 /MTD MILES: 179.76  /YTD MILES:   1553.11
SKY: partly cloudy  /WIND: S 12  /START TEMP: 66  /END TEMP: 78

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #62 - Mar 5th, 2024, 6:05pm

Tuesday 3/5/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, E Bob, Mark Mc D, Ken 3, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me

Daniel and Larry rode together as did Mark and Ken 3. E Bob rode solo. We had a mix up waiting for Don to get ready to ride (he arrived at the lake later than the rest of us). Butch and I thought Bob M and Lynn had rolled out, and were headed for the SoPac Trail, while we were talking to Don. We told Don we were going to try to catch them, so we rolled out and put the pedal to the metal. When we reached the north end of the SoPac, no Bob and Lynn. We headed back down the trail and ran across Don and finally Bob and Lynn. We did a 180 and joined them as they rode to the north end. We then all rode back to the lake and Sunset Bay. Following a break, Bob led us on a second lake lap and SoPac up-and-back. Back at Sunset Bay, Bob and Lynn packed it in and left the Bay. Butch drove to the Green Spot, while Don and I rode there on our trikes. Following lunch at the Spot, Don and I completed a fast (20.3 mph average) counterclockwise lake lap back to Sunset Bay. I got in 54.9 miles at a 17-mph average moving speed. Max speed was 30.5 mph on the smooth asphalt flats of West Lawther.

No mechanicals today. The new stock power double idler I installed on my Aero trike, yesterday, while noisier than the old single idler I had adapted to the trike, got the job done.

One incident: We had to slow down for two small dogs running free on the SoPac (they should have been on leashes for their safety). As we passed, I think Lynn said something to the dogs' owner, because she responded with: "Mind your own business" as I passed her.  

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2024, 6:08pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #63 - Mar 9th, 2024, 6:24pm

No Eastside ride, so I went to the lake and parked in the Arboretum trail lot.  It was still overcast when I arrived, with the temperature in the 40s, and a stiff North wind, so trail traffic was not so heavy.  I went down to the Santa Fe trail and took it down to the park past Glasgow St., where I turned around and headed back to the SPT.  By then the sky was clearing from the North, and it stayed sunny from then on.  There I encountered Don and Lynn riding together.  The SPT still had puddles, but not so much as I had expected after two days of rain.   I did the up-and-back and went around the lake, stopping at Sunset Bay, where Lynn and Don had parked.  From there I `went on to repeat my first lap, again seeing Don and Lynn on the SPT.  The last half of my ride was more pleasant with the sunshine, though the crowds had started to arrive.  I wound up with 50 miles.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #64 - Mar 10th, 2024, 5:22pm

5-Mar-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Finally, a practically windless day along with very mild temperatures, under partly cloudy skies.

BIKE: Catrike 700  START TIME: 9:34  END TIME: 12:47  AVG SPEED: 16.1  MAX SPEED: 26.1  CLIMBING: 1007  MILES: 41.3 MTD MILES: 221.06  YTD MILES:   1594.41
SKY: partly cloudy  WIND: SSE 6  START TEMP: 66  END TEMP: 81

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #65 - Mar 10th, 2024, 5:22pm

6-Mar-24      WED      VELO VETS - partly solo

This was another ideal day with practically no wind although remaining overcast and little sign of the predicted warmth, at least during the morning hours. But I needed to cut it short, and I skipped the stop at the Green Spot so I could wrap up what more of the ride i wanted to do and head out. That was a good decision in terms of having motivation to get my afternoon errands done.  Traffic heading toward home was lighter and that was a big part of wanting to leave the lake earlier. (Rode with Bill, Cindy, Rocky, Randel, Solo)

BIKE: Neuvation Road Bike  START TIME: 9:09  END TIME: 11:35  AVG SPEED: 14.7  MAX SPEED: 26.1  CLIMBING: 807  MILES: 34.55 MTD MILES: 255.61  YTD MILES: 1628.96
SKY: Cloudy  WIND: NE 6  START TEMP: 60  END TEMP: 64

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #66 - Mar 10th, 2024, 5:23pm

10-Mar-24      SUN      Rockwall-Forney Ride

Today might have been the best Sunday for a ride, this year. There was no wind to speak of and the morning temperature was a bit chilly, but ok. It stayed relatively chilly for the entire ride but that wasn't bad. Riding today was me, Eva, Ed, Paul, and Carlos. We all stayed together pretty well - about 90% of the time so we were a good group!

BIKE: Neuvation Road Bike  START TIME: 9:02  END TIME: 12:47  AVG SPEED: 15.3  MAX SPEED: 31.6  CLIMBING: 1650  MILES: 43.46 MTD MILES: 299.07  YTD MILES: 1672.42
SKY: Sunny  WIND: NNW 2  START TEMP: 44  END TEMP: 57

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #67 - Mar 12th, 2024, 7:03pm

Tuesday 3/12/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, Mark McD, Ken 3, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Daniel and Larry rode together as did Mark and Ken 3. Kenny rode 40+ miles solo. Bob led Lynn, Butch, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Don arrived at the lake late and rode mostly solo. Bob and Lynn packed it in after riding 41) miles. Kenny, Butch, and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. We were joined by Johnnybent who rode to the Spot on his 599cc moped. Following lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while Butch and I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. We were joined by Don on West Lawther. I got in about 52 miles. No data recorded because I forgot my Garmin computer.

Good weather, except for the southerly 12 mph+ headwinds after lunch.

One mechanical: I heard a mechanical noise as we were riding south on the SoPac. I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw Butch's trike slowing down. I turned around and rode back to where Butch was stopped. Seems his upper chain tube had loosened from its mooring and jammed itself between the chain and chainring, resulting in the chain being thrown off the chainring. Butch moored the chain tube with a zip tie, put the chain back on, and zoomed off to catch up with Bob and Lynn.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #68 - Mar 14th, 2024, 7:40pm

Thursday, March 14, 2024: Clown ride

I awoke early, and it was dry outside, so, after breakfast I headed to the lake.  I was about to start when Daniel arrived.  After I started Larry, Kenny, and Lynn came.  Daniel and Larry rode together, and Lynn and Kenny rode solo.  Although it was humid, with a few sprinkles, it was a decent day for a ride.  I did two long laps, as usual, with an extra mile at the end, for Saturday.  Total equaled 42 miles.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #69 - Mar 16th, 2024, 12:13am

Wednesday Mar 13
Non-Motorize Group of One

As I reported earlier, I couldn’t wait another day to ride since the doctor gave me the green light to ride. So I started up the White Rock Trail when I saw the North Haven sign I took it. I rode to the end and back. I continued around the lake to the van. I was a little disappointed in the North Haven Trail, basically flat and to many stop signs.

I was approaching Tee Pee Hill when I heard what though was streetcar coming. This dude was coming down the hill picking up speed and fighting to stay on his Walmart Special. I was ready to hit the grass when I saw his problem. He was riding on the rims, no tires. I bet he rode all the down the Santa Fe from home.

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #70 - Mar 16th, 2024, 10:12am

Quote from NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob on Mar 16th, 2024, 12:13am:
Wednesday Mar 13

As I reported earlier, I couldn’t wait another day to ride since the doctor gave me the green light to ride. So I started up the White Rock Trail when I saw the North Haven sign I took it. I rode to the end and back. I continued around the lake to the van. I was a little disappointed in the North Haven Trail, basically flat and to many stop signs.

I was approaching Tee Pee Hill when I heard what though was streetcar coming. This dude was coming down the hill picking up speed and fighting to stay on his Walmart Special. I was ready to hit the grass when I saw his problem. He was riding on the rims, no tires. I bet he rode all the down the Santa Fe from home.

Are there any port-a-potties on the North Haven Trail? Somebody told me there used to be one, but it had been removed.

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #71 - Mar 16th, 2024, 12:38pm

I better let someone else reply, Been long time since ridden  Smiley it and I forgot!!

IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #72 - Mar 16th, 2024, 7:44pm

12-Mar-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Rode my recumbent trike on this ride along with Larry, although not the entire ride. When I wasn't riding with Larry, I had an opportunity to pick up the pace, especially into the wind. There was a south wind, but it wasn't strong enough to cause white caps on the lake while we were riding.  I felt good, the temperature was pleasant, and the sky ranged from partly cloudy to mostly cloudy.  After the ride, we retired to the boat club where we enjoyed Cheetos and conversation. Bob Millay joined us. While the other 2 drink regular beer, I stick with my non-alcoholic beer choice. Has the same great flavor, but no impact while driving home.

BIKE: Catrike 700  START TIME: 9:37  END TIME: 12:41  AVG SPEED: 15.9  MAX SPEED: 25.5  CLIMBING: 1020  MILES: 40.85 MTD MILES: 339.92  YTD MILES: 1672.42
SKY: Partly Cloudy  WIND: S 9  START TEMP: 55  END TEMP: 68

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #73 - Mar 16th, 2024, 7:45pm

14-Mar-23      THU      CLOWN RIDE

Had a window of opportunity to ride before any storms materialized. We had a little drizzle at times but nothing serious. Got the usual miles and I'm happy I went for it!

bike: Catrike 700; start time: 9:12; end: 12:16; avg:15.1; max: 25.9; climb: 755; miles: 40.44; mtd miles:380.36; ytd miles:1753.71
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: ENE 5; start temp: 60; avg: 64; end: 62

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #74 - Mar 16th, 2024, 7:46pm

16-Mar-24      SAT      South Loop Velomobile Solo

Didn’t get a ride yesterday although I could have. Just wasn’t motivated. This morning, I checked the weather news, and they were saying only low chance of rain before noon. That was close to 9 AM. I decided if I got on the ball I could get out the door by 9:30 (riding from the house) and still get a decent ride during the 2½ hours that would be safe (dry) to be out riding. I finished at 12:15 with elapsed time 29 minutes longer than ride time. Since my remote garage door opener/closer is not working (again) I had to start from my garage area, ride around the block to the front of my house, go in and through the house and hit the closer and back out to the velo to start. Had to do the reverse of that at the end. Also had a few long red lights to wait on and one whiz stop. That added up to 29 minutes. I checked the time of day at mile 29 and saw I had an hour until noon at that point and decided to cut the ride shorter than I had planned, as I still had 20 miles left to get home. I’d say it worked out pretty well. By half an hour later, lightning was occurring, and the rain was pouring. It was still dry when I finished. So glad I didn’t drive somewhere to ride as that would have shortened my available “dry time” for riding!

bike: DFXL; start time: 9:29; end: 12:15; avg:20.4; max: 39.3; climb: 1381; miles: 49.23; mtd miles:429.59; ytd miles:1802.94
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: NE 9; start temp: 59; end: 63

Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #75 - Mar 17th, 2024, 3:32pm

Quote from jayg on Mar 16th, 2024, 10:12am:
Quote from NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob on Mar 16th, 2024, 12:13am:
Wednesday Mar 13

Are there any port-a-potties on the North Haven Trail? Somebody told me there used to be one, but it had been removed.

I didn’t see any, all residential not even a bush to kill.

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2024, 3:43pm by NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob »  
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #76 - Mar 18th, 2024, 6:05am

17-Mar-24      SUN      Rockwall-Forney Ride

Had a good ride with my 2 ride mates, Eva and Carlos. The north wind (headwind on return) seemed like it would be pretty tough as we first left Forney but then it didn't turn out to be that bad. Thankful for that!

bike: Neuvation Road Bike; start time: 9:11; end: 12:46; avg: 14.6; max: 30.1; climb: 1617; miles: 43.74; mtd miles:473.33; ytd miles:1846.68
CLOUDY; wind: N 9; start temp: 56; end: 59

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #77 - Mar 19th, 2024, 6:20pm

19-Mar-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Have been noticing unusual noises coming from the rear derailleur. There was a discussion at the lake about it. Ideas put forth: remove links from the chain; need new jockey wheel, bent chain hanger. After the ride, took the trike up to the shop. Conclusion: chain completely worn out: replace it; needs a jockey wheel but better yet, replace the rear derailleur - agreed about the jockey wheel, thinking about the rear derailleur; probably need a new cassette - agreed about that. Guess I need to find something new to ride for the next few weeks.

bike: Catrike 700; start time: 9:44; end: 13:20; avg: 15.2; max: 24.3; climb: 719; miles: 41.55; mtd miles:514.88; ytd miles:1888.23
SUNNY; wind: S 5; start temp: 42; end: 62

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #78 - Mar 19th, 2024, 8:19pm

Tuesday 3/19/24 Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, Bob M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Daniel and Larry rode together. Don rode extra fast, solo, to get in some cardio. Bob led Butch and I on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs for a total of 41+ miles. Butch, Don, and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Following lunch, Butch and I completed a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Don's motor was inoperable, so he took the short route back to Sunset Bay. My Garmin's battery failed and didn't record any info, so all I know is that I rode the usual 52 miles total.

During the 20-mile break at Sunset Bay, Daniel complained about excessive slack in his 700's chain and noise. A group gathered at his trike and a number of off the cuff opinions were given. Larry finally discovered why there was slack in the chain - the teeth on the derailleur cage pulley were worn down. As concluded in the above ride report, a worn-out chain ultimately caused the cage pulley to wear out.

After our ride, Don brought his ICE Sprint X Tour e-trike to the Mosquito Works so I could get the motor to operate. Both brake handles have magnetic switches on them that cut power to the motor when either brake is applied. The reason the motor was not operating is the magnet on one of the brake handles was missing. I used double-backed mounting tape to apply a double stack of ceramic magnets to the brake handle. The motor now operates when both brake handles are in the "not applied" position.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #79 - Mar 22nd, 2024, 5:14pm

Clown ride, 03/21/24  

It wasn't raining Thursday morning--in fact, the sun came out for a while-- s a few of us showed up.  The sun went away, but Kenny and Larry rode solo, and I led Lynn and Butch on two SPT and lake laps without more than a few sprinkles to bother us.  Afterwards, Butch decided to get another reverse lap in to be more in line with his usual effort.  Larry and I retired to the boathouse for a bachelor lunch, just beating the rain there.  Didn't look good for Butch's bonus lap!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #80 - Mar 23rd, 2024, 5:21pm

Eastside ride, Saturday, 03;23/24:

Heidi, John, and I joined Ferd this morning and did the North loop, as we were starting against a chilly wind.  The sun was out and roads were drying off, so we had a pleasant ride.  John and Heidi turned back from the water tower in Lucas, and Ferd and I tried to overtake them before they got back to the shop, but somehow failed to do that.  They might have altered their route back.  We got 32 miles for the day.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #81 - Mar 23rd, 2024, 6:45pm

Saturday 3/23/24 WRL Ride:

I led Lynn M, Butch Y, and Don C out of Sunset Bay at 10:00 am and we headed for the north end of the SoPac Trail. Once there, we did a 180 and headed back down the trail to the Ridgewood Trail exit, which we took and did a round trip to Glencoe Park. Back on the SoPac, we rode to the north end again, then rode back to the lake and on to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail. We rode both branches of the Spine Trail, then returned to Sunset Bay. After a break, we did a lake lap. Back at Sunset Bay, Lynn packed it in, Butch and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch, and Don skipped lunch and rode some more lake laps. Following lunch, Butch and I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. I got in 53 miles at a 16.3 mph average.

The trails were heavily crowded with pedestrians and cyclists today. Lots of road bike riders.

Johnnybent rolled up on his 500cc motorcycle-like moped while we were in the Sunset Bay parking lot packing it in, after having completed our riding. Talked to him for a while.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #82 - Mar 29th, 2024, 5:26pm

Thursday morning I came to the lake with a sore back.  Moving a bit slowly, I was late.  Kenny had started, and both Don and Lynn had afternoon appointments, so they took off together as I crept around getting ready.  Butch stayed and rode with me at a moderate pace.  Larry rode at the same time, but at  his own pace.  E Bob showed up later, as did John and Heidi.  The sun kept some of the chill off early on, and we completed 41 miles.  Jay showed up in time for a trip to the Spot.  He's been getting his house ready for visiting family

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #83 - Mar 31st, 2024, 8:04pm

Eastside ride, Saturday, 03/30/24

Just Ferd, and Jim showed Saturday morning, so the three of us headed South against the wind. Jim left us at Spring Valley.  We continued on, Ferd taking a bit of extra time at the stops.  That was fine with me, as I was hobbled by my back.  We got 30 miles done at a modest pace.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #84 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 7:07pm

Lynn and Kenny were at the lake when I arrived, and soon Larry joined us.  Kenny started early, and Don came as we were about to start.  Don rode solo, and the rest of us rode together sometimes and untogether the rest of the time.  On the second lap Lynn and Larry ran off and left me, and I had an unusual moment.  Coming off the SPT alone as the clouds broke up, I pulled onto West Lawther in full sunshine with not a soul in sight.  No cars, cyclists, or pedestrians.  I was alone in Dallas in the middle of a sunny day!  I struggled on W. Lawther against the stiff wind so I switched to level three boost with immediate effect.  I got around to go with the wind and enjoyed 20 to 25 mph touring for a couple of miles before switching back to level two.  I collected 41 miles.  Jay showed up to go to the Spot with Kenny for lunch.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #85 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:35pm

I'm a little behind on posts, but not by many as I've been sick for the better part of a week. Starting with the first ride i didn't post yet

20-Mar-24      WED      VELO VETS + the FERNDALE LOOP

Did a nice lap following Herb and Sandra and then the Ferndale Loop before the Green Spot. After the Green Spot, did another lap and a little extra for 40 miles. It was warmer than yesterday morning but felt cooler because of the cloud cover and wind. Eventually it got better.

bike: NEUVATION; start time: 8:58; end: 12:26; avg:13.9; max: 29.8; climb: 883; miles: 41.6; mtd miles:556.48; ytd miles:1929.83
Mostly Cloudy; wind: SSW 5; start temp: 50; end: 65

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #86 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:39pm

23-Mar-24      SAT      South Loop Velomobile Solo

Ride start in Rowlett and most southerly point reached was near Cartwright & Lawson in Mesquite. I wasn't feeling it on this ride. I was riding because it would have been a shame to blow off this beautiful day.

bike: DFXL; start time: 11:52; end: 15:35; avg:29.3; max: 39.2; climb: 1696; miles: 65.38; mtd miles:621.86; ytd miles:1995.21
SUNNY; wind: NNE 7; start temp: 54; end: 65

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #87 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:41pm

24-Mar-24      SUN      ROCKWALL-FORNEY RIDE

12.0 avg Rockwall to Forney, in that combination crosswind and headwind.
17.2 avg Forney to Rockwall, in that combination crosswind and tailwind.
The last 5 miles felt really good at 19.1 avg even though we had to stop at 1 stop sign and 3 traffic lights.  
The good news is that I was riding with Eva and she was keeping up just fine so i didn't have to hold back at all on the return trip.

bike: Neuvation; start time: 9:12; end: 12:56; avg:14.8; max: 32.8; climb: 1713; miles: 43.4; mtd miles:665.26; ytd miles:2038.61
CLOUDY; wind: SSE 17-28; start temp: 56; end: 59

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #88 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:43pm

26-Mar-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

The ride was really hard. I don't know if that is because it was so cold; so windy; not much sleep last night; or not much to eat yesterday or today. I'm exhausted and sleepy. Rode with Larry. I also rode a different trike - my Bacchetta Carbon Trike. There's a bit of a learning curve riding that. Hadn't ridden it in months.  This is making me wonder if I should do the Velo Vets Ride tomorrow?

bike: BACCHETTA TRIKE; start time: 10:23; end: 13:36; avg:14.9; max: 24.6; climb: 650; miles: 40.2; mtd miles:705.46; ytd miles:2078.81
SUNNY; wind: NW 11; start temp: 45; end: 51

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #89 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:44pm

28-Mar-24      THU      POTEET RIDE

Pleasant temperature without strong S wind but I just wasn't feeling it this evening. Kept up ok but I was often feeling like I had to work hard. That isn't normal. Rode with Ed and Eva. That evening after the ride I began to come down with strong symptoms of a cold.

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:55; end: 20:12; avg:17.0; max: 28.5; climb: 787; miles: 30.79; mtd miles:736.25; ytd miles:2109.6
SUNNY; wind: S 9; start temp: 74; min: 57; end: 64

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #90 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:45pm

1-Apr-24      MON      NEIGHBORHOOD RIDE

I have been sick for a few days but feeling better today so I did a neighborhood ride to see if I would tolerate any riding at the moment. My neighborhood is relatively hilly, and the pace was low as a result, but I wasn't tired doing this and I might get away with riding longer, such as at the lake, without impeding my recovery. So, I would call this a successful test ride. It remains to be seen, though, whether I will take this show on the road (at the lake) this week.

bike: Catrike 700; start time: 12:25; end: 13:20; avg:11.4; max: 25.1; climb: 486; miles:10.2;  ytd miles:2119.79
CLOUDY; wind: S 16; start temp: 75; end: 77

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #91 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:48pm

2-Apr-24      TUE      NEIGHBORHOOD RIDE

Despite it being a very windy day, the sun was shining, and I decided it would still be a good day to do a neighborhood ride. Unlike yesterday, I systematically did every street in the Harborside development where I live plus all the streets in the new development to the south. I also did all the steep alleyways and streets in the NE quadrant of Harborside, twice. Parts of those have gradients as much as 10%. The long hook-shaped part of the route to the south (only understood if the map of the route is in view), is the walking/cycling path along Lake Ray Hubbard, that wraps around the apartment complex at the south end. I did that twice, as well. I'm feeling much better after doing this ride and I think I will do Velo Vets in the morning.

bike: CATRIKE 700; start time: 13:41; end: 15:17; avg:12.3; max: 25.9; climb: 886; miles:17.5; mtd miles:27.69; ytd miles:2137.29
SUNNY; wind: NW 18-24; start temp: 60; end: 65

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #92 - Apr 4th, 2024, 7:04pm

3-Apr-24      WED      VELO VETS RIDE

Felt good to join this ride although morning traffic issues made it take me more than double the usual time to arrive. I was late, but had a plan, and fortunately I'd brought my e-assist trike today. That meant i could ramp up the speed without ramping up my breathing. That's just what I needed to catch up with the fast group before they deviated from the lake to add the Ferndale Loop. It was great to reunite with Cindy and Bill. The Ferndale Loop went well. At the mid ride break, at the Green Spot I was able to reunite with Diana for a warm, but too short, visit.  After the Green Spot, our smaller group rode another lap, RandEL peeled off early, Cindy and Bill peeled off later, and Donna and Debra were last to drop off. I accompanied Rocky to his exit point, and I rode to my van.  I was pleased with how the ride went.  

bike: CATRIKE 700; start time: 9:15; end: 12:52; avg:13.9; max: 25.8; climb: 827; miles:40.27; mtd miles:67.96; ytd miles:2177.56
SUNNY; wind: NW 10; start temp: 54; end: 65

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #93 - Apr 4th, 2024, 7:05pm

4-Apr-24      THU      CLOWN RIDE

I felt excellent on today's Clown Ride. I think easing back into riding as my cold relaxed its grip on me has paid off. I felt strong. Of course, it helped that the temperature was agreeable and there was barely any wind. I ran my assist on the trike on Level 1 (lowest) for about 60% of the ride and Level zero (motor off) for the other 40%. Having had my chain and cog set replaced seemed to improve performance, also. I was able to use my highest gear when needed. For a very long time, using my highest gear before I had the trike repaired resulted in chain skip, so I seldom used it. This ability to use the biggest gear allowed me to easily keep up with Larry without jacking up the assist level. Now looking forward to riding the road bike on tomorrow's Velo Vets ride.

bike: Catrike 700; start time: 9:25; end: 12:50; avg: 16.1; max: 23.8; climb: 650; miles: 43.11; mtd miles:111.07; ytd miles:2220.67
SUNNY; wind: W 3; start temp: 54; end: 77

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2024, 7:23pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #94 - Apr 7th, 2024, 7:06pm

Ferd cancelled his ride, so I made my way to the lake to ride Saturday morning.  When I got there I discovered I hadn't brought my battery.  Fortunately, I had remembered my trike!  I decided to ride unassisted, and try for thirty miles--what I'd get in Plano.  I started down the Santa Fe Trail and labored up the hill at the overpass at about 6 mph.  Coming down the hills though I felt like my old self.  I saw Don leading Lynn and Butch down the SPT as I was going up.  I came back and got on W. Lawther.  T&P Hill was another slow slog, and I went around PeePee hill to stop for a drink.  The headwind was tough coming back to the start.  I figured doing the Santa Fe again would get me my 30 miles, but that meant going up the @#&%!! hill again.  I was really glad to finish that.  I wound up with 31 miles, at a pace only a little off an Eastside pace.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #95 - Apr 9th, 2024, 6:36pm

6-Apr-24      SAT      TOLER RIDE

Not knowing how difficult doing tomorrow's Rockwall Ride might be after having a cold for a week and knowing how strong Eva has become I decided to bring the e-assist trike on this ride. Yet, I didn't really do myself any favors because I ended up riding on level zero (motor off) for about half the ride. I only turned it on for the climbs. I knew that was a risk because I could tire my legs out too much and defeat the purpose of riding the assisted trike. Well, will see tomorrow how things turn out.  

bike: CATRIKE 700; start time: 8:26; end: 11:49; avg:15.1; max: 29.5; climb: 1093; miles:42.48; mtd miles:153.55; ytd miles:2263.15
SUNNY; wind: SSE 8-16; start temp: 61; end: 73

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #96 - Apr 9th, 2024, 6:37pm

7-Apr-24      SUN      ROCKWALL-FORNEY RIDE

Started off thinking we had a wind at our back (north wind) but later thinking we had a west wind. Either way, did not bode well for a pleasant ride back north after our Panera stop in Forney. But either the wind was in the process of shifting or we were mistaken. Turned out riding directly north was not an issue but riding west was. There is a fair amount of westward riding on the way back but it didn't really affect our ride that much. So, it turned out to be a pretty good ride overall. Despite what the temperature range looks like, it was chilly feeling - the 3 of us, Eva, Ed, and I kept our extra layers on for the entire ride. But once we finished, it definitely seemed too warm. The 3 of us matched the pace quite well this ride. Eva has made strong gains this year.

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 9:07; end: 12:21; avg:16.1; max: 31.2; climb: 1562; miles:43.26; mtd miles:196.81; ytd miles:2306.41
PTLY CLOUDY; wind: WSW 6 - 13; start temp: 64; end: 75

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #97 - Apr 11th, 2024, 5:52pm

Thursday 4/11/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Kenny arrived early and rode solo. Don arrived after 3:00 PM and rode solo. Bob led Lynn, Butch, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Bob and Lynn left the lake after getting in 41+ miles. Butch and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Following lunch we completed a counterclockwise lake lap. Butch and I got in 52 miles. I was tired after not having ridden for about two weeks, preparing my house for visiting relatives, then visiting with them. Was glad to be back riding with the Clowns.

The weather was pleasant, except for 12 mph+ northerly headwinds we had to fight.

No incidents or mechanicals today. There were a number of friendly, waving riders on the trails.

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2024, 5:55pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #98 - Apr 14th, 2024, 5:48pm

Sunday 4/14/34 WRL Solo Ride:

I usually ride with Lynn M, Butch Y, and Don C on Saturdays, but yesterday they did the Ferris bluebonnet ride, while I decided to cut my yard then ride today. I left Sunset Bay about 9:30 AM and headed for the north end of the SoPac Trail. Did a 180 at the north end, headed back down the trail to the Ridgewood Trail entrance, and did a round trip to Glencoe Park. Back on the SoPac, I rode to the north end again, did a 180 and rode back to the lake and on to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail. Rode both branches of the trail, then rode back to Sunset Bay. After a break, did a lake lap, then rode to the Green Spot for lunch (Delicious chicken fajita plate and chocolate soft serve ice cream for desert). After lunch, I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 52.8 miles at an 18-mph average. Max speed was 32.6 mph. Average heart rate was 101 bpm with a 134-bpm max at 32.6 mph.

The trails have dried out, so I decided to ride my GS Aero trike today. Haven't ridden it since March 5. As soon as I rolled out of Sunset Bay, I could tell the Aero is much faster than the Catrike Speed I've been riding, and I was going to have fun. I raced a young roadie on the Ridgewood Trail, reaching a max speed of 32.6 mph. I was pacing him, headed east on the trail, until we reached a 90-degree curve. He laid his bike over to take the curve, while I had to brake to keep from sliding into a concrete wall. He then entered 90-degree blind curve at speed and left me behind. I'm glad he didn't encounter another rider headed west, or there could have been a serious accident.

Lot's of riders and pedestrians on the trails today. Not many riders on West Lawther. Was fun riding with a southerly tailwind on West Lawther.

2007 Catrike Speed                                                                                                                                                 2017 Greenspeed Aero

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2024, 6:15pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #99 - Apr 17th, 2024, 7:56pm

I met with Larry and Daniel at Sunset Bay this morning to do a ride to make up for yesterday's rainout.  We did two of the usual laps.  Though it was mostly cloudy it still warmed into the eighties, and was somewhat muggy.  That did start to affect me toward the end of the ride.  We got 41 or so miles at 16 mph. Near the end of the ride Larry chased down a wedgie at 23 mph until the guy gave up.  E Bob made an appearance, and we saw two other trikes, and also Hand-cycle Bob.  We should be riding again Thursday.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #100 - Apr 18th, 2024, 6:13pm

Thursday 4/18/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, and me.

Daniel and Larry rolled out of Sunset Bay early and rode 41+ miles together.  Kenny rode solo. Bob led Lynn and me on 2 lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs for a total of 41+ miles. Expecting rain, Lynn and Kenny drove to the Green Spot. I rode to the Spot on my Catrike Speed and met them for lunch. Following lunch, I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 52 miles at a 16.2 mph average.  

Prior to today, I've only ridden once in the past several weeks, so was feeling out of shape on the first 20+ miles. I felt somewhat better on the second 20+ miles.

Nice riding weather today, but not many riders taking advantage of it.

No incidents or mechanicals to report.

A number of weeks ago, Terry C had his Catrike 700 and his Catrike 559 e-trike stolen out of his garage. He's coming to the Mosquito Works tomorrow to get fitted to a very low mileage 2015 Catrike 700 I located for him. I'm going to install a 750w Tongsheng TSDZ2B w/open-source firmware (OSF) e-drive on the trike.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #101 - Apr 23rd, 2024, 7:02pm

Tuesday 4/23/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, E Bob, Bob M, Lynn M, and me.

E Bob rode solo. Lynn was running a little late this morning, so Bob M decided to tag along with Daniel and Larry as they rolled out of Sunset Bay and headed for the north end of the SoPac Trail. After Lynn arrived and was ready to ride, she and I rolled out and headed for the north end of the SoPac at a high pace. We ran across Daniel, Larry, and Bob M as they were heading south, about a mile from the SoPac's north end. We continued on to the trail's north end, did a 180, and headed back to the lake and on to Sunset Bay, maintaining a high pace. We caught up with Daniel as we neared Sunset Bay. Lynn and my average for those 20 miles was 18.5 mph. After a break, Bob M led Lynn and me on a second lake lap and SoPac up-and-back. We ran across recumbent-riding acquaintances, John and Heidi G, at the north end of the SoPac. My legs and knees started feeling uncomfortable on the north end of the lake property on East Lawther, probably from lack of riding regularly for the past month. I fell further and further behind Bob and Lynn the rest of the way back to Sunset Bay. Back at Sunset, Daniel, Larry, Bob M, and Lynn packed it in and departed the scene. I rode solo to the Green Spot for lunch. Following lunch, I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 51.2 miles at a 16.8 mph average. Max speed of 32.5 mph was achieved headed north in the SoPac bottoms with the wind at my back. Rode my Greenspeed Aero trike today.

Annoying southerly headwinds were blowing all day today. Not many pedestrians and riders on the trails.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #102 - Apr 24th, 2024, 7:52am

11-Apr-24      THU      POTEET RIDE

Joined with Melinda's group. She had a good group and their pace was well matched to our group's - Eva, Ed, & I.
32 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #103 - Apr 24th, 2024, 7:53am

12-Apr-24      FRI      VELO VETS

It was a really nice day for a ride, but I needed to cut it shorter than usual. Needed to mail something to my sister and I wanted to do that before 1 PM.  So, when I left the Green Spot, I didn't do another lap. I went straight back to the van instead. I also only got a couple hours sleep last night because of an extreme sinus drainage issue that kept me coughing. I eventually did sleep in the easy chair until the alarm went off. Despite that, I felt surprisingly good on the bike!
29 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #104 - Apr 24th, 2024, 7:54am

13-Apr-24      SAT      BLUEBONNET RIDE

Didn't go as planned in pace or overall mileage. I had planned to ride solo. That didn't happen and I wound up with pace and distance not my first choice. Unexpectedly met up with friends, Sharon and Tim. I often rode with Tim but he was quite slow on the climbs. I didn't pay much attention to pace and that is just as well.  At Palmer, mile 33, Sharon decided she wanted to take the 37-mile option to return to the start so she could visit with friends. I wasn't in favor nor was Tim. But time was getting on. So I agreed to it and found the remainder of the 37-mile option to be nicer than the remainder of the 55-mile option. That was a plus. I found it to be nice visiting with people at the end whom I hadn't seen in years. So, a bit of a silver lining and at least the flowers were nice, and the wind didn't seem as bad as forecast.  
44 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #105 - Apr 24th, 2024, 7:55am

14-Apr-24      SUN      ROCKWALL - FORNEY RIDE

Windy ride but got the headwind out of the way first and enjoyed a nice tailwind for most of the return trip. It was cloudy and cool to start but the sun was out for much of the return trip. To me, the wind wasn't that bad. Eva disagreed! That's ok, I think Ed would have agreed with Eva had he been there.
43 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #106 - Apr 24th, 2024, 7:56am

16-Apr-24      TUE      POTEET RIDE

My morning ride got cancelled out due to morning rain. Decided to do the Poteet Ride instead but Ed couldn't do it, Melinda didn't respond to my text until after i had lined up Michael Lubben to do the ride with me. Melinda rode with the Eagles. Michael was having blood sugar issues and i stuck with him whether he was fast or slow.  This was his first Tuesday ride this year.
30 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #107 - Apr 24th, 2024, 7:57am

17-Apr-24      WED      CLOWN RIDE (makeup)

Missed the Tuesday morning get together because of rain, and Thursday morning was looking doubtful for the same reason, so we decided to do the Clown Ride today. For me, that was instead of doing the Velo Vets ride. As it turns out tomorrow morning looks good for the 2nd Clown ride of the week. It's the Thursday evening ride that now appears to be in jeopardy owing to potential for rain. Time will tell. But today's ride was good. In my opinion, the south wind wasn't too bad and there was certainly warmth all day. It was partly cloudy and humid, but I only noticed the humidity when we were stopped.  
41 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #108 - Apr 24th, 2024, 7:58am

18-Apr-24      THU      CLOWN RIDE

Warm, cloudy, humid, and pleasant temperatures. Rode with Larry again, 2nd day in a row.  Gives me an option to skip the evening ride as it is looking iffy - storms possible. Playing it safe.
42 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #109 - Apr 24th, 2024, 7:59am

19-Apr-24      FRI      VELO VETS + the FERNDALE LOOP

I've felt really good this week despite riding 4 days in a row. On the Ferndale Loop, though I held back on fast climbing because I was keeping my heart rate in check. Nonetheless, I still kept up just fine. For once, I was on time at the Big Thicket for the start. The group did a nice pace around the lake before heading up Ferndale. We arrived at the Green Spot just as the rest of the group did.  I left later than the Ferndale group from the Green Spot and rode clockwise around the lake to see if I could find them. Just as I turned off the SoPac exit, there they all were. I was very surprised. I u-turned and joined Rocky and Randel right after Cindy and Bill turned off. Randel turned off at his usual exit on the east side of the lake and Rocky and I went on to the north end of the lake before turning back. I dropped off at the Bath House parking having reached my goal of 41 miles and Rocky headed home. Why such an odd number of miles? It gave me 500 miles for the month!
41 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #110 - Apr 24th, 2024, 8:00am

21-Apr-24      SUN      ROCKWALL - FORNEY RIDE

Well, another one of these rides in the book. It was a pretty chilly morning with a NNE wind pushing us down toward Forney. You'd think I would have felt good in those conditions but I didn't. I felt very sluggish and Eva and Ed started strong while I struggled to keep the pace. With a lot of effort, I struggled to catch up when they caught a light. I wanted to be sure to make all the crossings when they did so I wouldn't fall farther behind than i had to. Finally I shifted down 3 or 4 times and made it so I was spinning a low gear to match their pace. That tailwind didn't help at all. We finally got down to Panera Bread in Forney where we enjoyed sunshine and shelter from the wind on the outdoor patio. After 42 minutes shooting the breeze at Panera, we headed out for the ordeal into the headwind. I couldn't imagine how much worse I'd feel in that wind. But, a funny thing happened. As I got warmed up again, I realized the headwind wasn't all that bad. It felt relatively easy. I don't think Ed had that impression as at times I'd pull around in front of him and let him get on my wheel. For me, it was nowhere near the ordeal I had expected. The ride ended up on that high note - didn't seem to be as much of an effort going into the wind as the earlier tailwind had seemed. I chalk it up to one of the mysteries of life!
43 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #111 - Apr 24th, 2024, 8:01am

23-Apr-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

I intended to ride both this ride and the evening ride today. Because I was going to do both on the Catrike, I didn't use the e-assist very much. Instead, I used the shift lever and momentum to get over the few steeper spots on the route. I rode about 60% of the first 20 miles on level zero and about 80% on level zero, on the 2nd 20-mile loop. On the battery, voltage dropped from 58 to 57 during this 40 miles. I had no idea what to expect keeping up with a potentially fast road bike rider on a much hillier course on the evening ride.
40 miles

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #112 - Apr 24th, 2024, 8:02am

23-Apr-24      TUE      POTEET RIDE

My friend Ed has been doing the Tuesday ride solo, which is not a comfortable option in various levels of evening rush hour traffic. I decided if I could keep up with him, I'd be able to accomplish 2 things - keep him company giving him a bit more security on the ride and give me an option for an additional ride like I used to do, and if I could keep the assist level low enough, I'd get some additional fitness benefit. That went much better than expected. During the first 10 miles I did use higher assist levels ranging from 2 to 4 as the first part has some steep hills and I was also trying to assess what I really needed in terms of assist. So that was a third of the ride. The rest of the ride, I did 90% on Level 1. I got a workout and learned that higher assist levels could be used sparingly. So, at intersections I'd set the assist to 4 so I could get a jump start crossing the intersection. Then I would quickly lower it to 1 and settle into a steady pace using minimal assist. This all worked great, and Ed was very happy I joined him. I intend to do this every Tuesday evening when weather is good! It was super strong wind as there had been in the morning, gusting as high as 29 mph. It wasn't an issue for me so strong wind is not a deal breaker for me. At the end, my battery had dropped from 57 volts to 55 - still plenty of juice left!
32 miles

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #113 - Apr 25th, 2024, 6:57pm

Thursday 4/25/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, and me.

Larry, E Bob, and Kenny each rode solo. Bob M led Lynn and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Bob packed it in after 41+ plus miles. Lynn and Kenny loaded up their trikes and drove to the Green Spot. I rode there on my Aero trike and joined them for lunch and conversation. Following lunch, I put the peddle to the metal and completed a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 52 .1 miles at a 16.2 mph average. Max speed was 32.2 mph when I was following Lynn as she was driving towards the Green Spot on East Lawther.  

Not a whole lot of cycling activity on the trails. There were several small groups of roadies and a number of individual upright riders. There was one huge group of police bike patrol trainees riding the lake trail.

Good day for me. My legs were strong, and my knees didn't bother me the whole day.

No incidents or mechanicals.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #114 - Apr 27th, 2024, 4:53pm

Ferd canceled, so I went to the lake this morning to fight the wind and the crowds.  I added a run on the Santa Fe trail to past the high school and park, then back to an up and back on the SPT, then a lake lap.  Then I tacked on another jaunt on the Santa Fe and and overshot up to the turn off to the boathouses, and back to the car to get 32 miles.  The wind was bad on E. Lawther, which made it easier to quit then, as we have my daughter and son-in-law visiting.  Saw two other trikes, and Darth, but none of me mates.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #115 - May 1st, 2024, 9:23am

Tuesday 4/30/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Larry, E Bob, and Kenny rode solo. Bob M led Lynn, Butch, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Bob M and Lynn packed it in after we had ridden 41+ miles. Don arrived late and rode solo, until he joined Kenny, Butch, and me for lunch at the Green Spot. After lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while Butch, Don and I completed a fast counterclockwise lake lap. I got in 52.1 miles at a 16.3 mph average.

Uneventful ride, until Butch, Don, and I were about to cross Buckner Blvd. on our way to the Green Spot. We had a green light, and a car blew through a red light at about 50 mph in front of us. This is the second time this has happened. We have to be very careful crossing Buckner.  

I was feeling wiped out after 41+ miles. Felt somewhat revived after lunch. Felt wiped out again after completing the fast counterclockwise lake lap. Still haven't recovered from not riding much for about a month.

Yesterday, I completed the 750w Tongsheng e-drive installation on Terry C's Catrike 700. He met me at the Mosquito Works after I arrived home from WRL this afternoon. I fitted him to the trike, he test rode it, and took it home.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 6:09pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #116 - Yesterday at 6:37pm

Thursday 5/2/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Butch Y, Daniel S, Bob M, Lynn M, and me.

Larry and Kenny arrived early and rode solo. E Bob, Butch, and Daniel arrived late and rode solo. Bob M led Lynn and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Bob M and Lynn packed it in after we had ridden 41+ miles. Kenny and I rode to the Green Spot where we met Lynn and Keith D, an old riding buddy, for lunch and conversation. After lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while I completed a low energy, slow (13 mph), counterclockwise lake lap. I got in 52+ miles.

I got a late start because I forgot my battery, so I had to drive back home to retrieve it. When I got back to the lake, found out I had forgotten my headlight, taillight, and Garmin computer. Doh! Bob M and Lynn were already riding on the trail by the time I returned to the lake, so I put the pedal to the metal and finally caught up with them at the north end of the SoPac Trail.  

One close call when I was trying to catch up with Bab and Lynn on the SoPac: I was rolling north about 24 mph when I spotted a roadie riding south in my lane. I thought he saw me and would pull over into his lane. Instead, he steered into me. At the last instant he saw me and steered back into his lane, avoiding a head on collision.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print