Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 10:51pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? 2024 edition (Read 3210 times)
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Re: Did you ride today? 2024 edition
Reply #75 - Mar 17th, 2024, 3:32pm

Quote from jayg on Mar 16th, 2024, 10:12am:
Quote from NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob on Mar 16th, 2024, 12:13am:
Wednesday Mar 13
Non-Motorize Group of One

As I reported earlier, I couldn’t wait another day to ride since the doctor gave me the green light to ride. So I started up the White Rock Trail when I saw the North Haven sign I took it. I rode to the end and back. I continued around the lake to the van. I was a little disappointed in the North Haven Trail, basically flat and to many stop signs.

I was approaching Tee Pee Hill when I heard what though was streetcar coming. This dude was coming down the hill picking up speed and fighting to stay on his Walmart Special. I was ready to hit the grass when I saw his problem. He was riding on the rims, no tires. I bet he rode all the down the Santa Fe from home.

Are there any port-a-potties on the North Haven Trail? Somebody told me there used to be one, but it had been removed.

I didn’t see any, all residential not even a bush to kill.

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2024, 3:43pm by NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob »  
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #76 - Mar 18th, 2024, 6:05am

17-Mar-24      SUN      Rockwall-Forney Ride

Had a good ride with my 2 ride mates, Eva and Carlos. The north wind (headwind on return) seemed like it would be pretty tough as we first left Forney but then it didn't turn out to be that bad. Thankful for that!

bike: Neuvation Road Bike; start time: 9:11; end: 12:46; avg: 14.6; max: 30.1; climb: 1617; miles: 43.74; mtd miles:473.33; ytd miles:1846.68
CLOUDY; wind: N 9; start temp: 56; end: 59

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #77 - Mar 19th, 2024, 6:20pm

19-Mar-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Have been noticing unusual noises coming from the rear derailleur. There was a discussion at the lake about it. Ideas put forth: remove links from the chain; need new jockey wheel, bent chain hanger. After the ride, took the trike up to the shop. Conclusion: chain completely worn out: replace it; needs a jockey wheel but better yet, replace the rear derailleur - agreed about the jockey wheel, thinking about the rear derailleur; probably need a new cassette - agreed about that. Guess I need to find something new to ride for the next few weeks.

bike: Catrike 700; start time: 9:44; end: 13:20; avg: 15.2; max: 24.3; climb: 719; miles: 41.55; mtd miles:514.88; ytd miles:1888.23
SUNNY; wind: S 5; start temp: 42; end: 62

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #78 - Mar 19th, 2024, 8:19pm

Tuesday 3/19/24 Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, Bob M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Daniel and Larry rode together. Don rode extra fast, solo, to get in some cardio. Bob led Butch and I on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs for a total of 41+ miles. Butch, Don, and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Following lunch, Butch and I completed a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Don's motor was inoperable, so he took the short route back to Sunset Bay. My Garmin's battery failed and didn't record any info, so all I know is that I rode the usual 52 miles total.

During the 20-mile break at Sunset Bay, Daniel complained about excessive slack in his 700's chain and noise. A group gathered at his trike and a number of off the cuff opinions were given. Larry finally discovered why there was slack in the chain - the teeth on the derailleur cage pulley were worn down. As concluded in the above ride report, a worn-out chain ultimately caused the cage pulley to wear out.

After our ride, Don brought his ICE Sprint X Tour e-trike to the Mosquito Works so I could get the motor to operate. Both brake handles have magnetic switches on them that cut power to the motor when either brake is applied. The reason the motor was not operating is the magnet on one of the brake handles was missing. I used double-backed mounting tape to apply a double stack of ceramic magnets to the brake handle. The motor now operates when both brake handles are in the "not applied" position.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #79 - Mar 22nd, 2024, 5:14pm

Clown ride, 03/21/24  

It wasn't raining Thursday morning--in fact, the sun came out for a while-- s a few of us showed up.  The sun went away, but Kenny and Larry rode solo, and I led Lynn and Butch on two SPT and lake laps without more than a few sprinkles to bother us.  Afterwards, Butch decided to get another reverse lap in to be more in line with his usual effort.  Larry and I retired to the boathouse for a bachelor lunch, just beating the rain there.  Didn't look good for Butch's bonus lap!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #80 - Mar 23rd, 2024, 5:21pm

Eastside ride, Saturday, 03;23/24:

Heidi, John, and I joined Ferd this morning and did the North loop, as we were starting against a chilly wind.  The sun was out and roads were drying off, so we had a pleasant ride.  John and Heidi turned back from the water tower in Lucas, and Ferd and I tried to overtake them before they got back to the shop, but somehow failed to do that.  They might have altered their route back.  We got 32 miles for the day.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #81 - Mar 23rd, 2024, 6:45pm

Saturday 3/23/24 WRL Ride:

I led Lynn M, Butch Y, and Don C out of Sunset Bay at 10:00 am and we headed for the north end of the SoPac Trail. Once there, we did a 180 and headed back down the trail to the Ridgewood Trail exit, which we took and did a round trip to Glencoe Park. Back on the SoPac, we rode to the north end again, then rode back to the lake and on to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail. We rode both branches of the Spine Trail, then returned to Sunset Bay. After a break, we did a lake lap. Back at Sunset Bay, Lynn packed it in, Butch and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch, and Don skipped lunch and rode some more lake laps. Following lunch, Butch and I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. I got in 53 miles at a 16.3 mph average.

The trails were heavily crowded with pedestrians and cyclists today. Lots of road bike riders.

Johnnybent rolled up on his 500cc motorcycle-like moped while we were in the Sunset Bay parking lot packing it in, after having completed our riding. Talked to him for a while.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #82 - Mar 29th, 2024, 5:26pm

Thursday morning I came to the lake with a sore back.  Moving a bit slowly, I was late.  Kenny had started, and both Don and Lynn had afternoon appointments, so they took off together as I crept around getting ready.  Butch stayed and rode with me at a moderate pace.  Larry rode at the same time, but at  his own pace.  E Bob showed up later, as did John and Heidi.  The sun kept some of the chill off early on, and we completed 41 miles.  Jay showed up in time for a trip to the Spot.  He's been getting his house ready for visiting family

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #83 - Mar 31st, 2024, 8:04pm

Eastside ride, Saturday, 03/30/24

Just Ferd, and Jim showed Saturday morning, so the three of us headed South against the wind. Jim left us at Spring Valley.  We continued on, Ferd taking a bit of extra time at the stops.  That was fine with me, as I was hobbled by my back.  We got 30 miles done at a modest pace.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #84 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 7:07pm

Lynn and Kenny were at the lake when I arrived, and soon Larry joined us.  Kenny started early, and Don came as we were about to start.  Don rode solo, and the rest of us rode together sometimes and untogether the rest of the time.  On the second lap Lynn and Larry ran off and left me, and I had an unusual moment.  Coming off the SPT alone as the clouds broke up, I pulled onto West Lawther in full sunshine with not a soul in sight.  No cars, cyclists, or pedestrians.  I was alone in Dallas in the middle of a sunny day!  I struggled on W. Lawther against the stiff wind so I switched to level three boost with immediate effect.  I got around to go with the wind and enjoyed 20 to 25 mph touring for a couple of miles before switching back to level two.  I collected 41 miles.  Jay showed up to go to the Spot with Kenny for lunch.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #85 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:35pm

I'm a little behind on posts, but not by many as I've been sick for the better part of a week. Starting with the first ride i didn't post yet

20-Mar-24      WED      VELO VETS + the FERNDALE LOOP

Did a nice lap following Herb and Sandra and then the Ferndale Loop before the Green Spot. After the Green Spot, did another lap and a little extra for 40 miles. It was warmer than yesterday morning but felt cooler because of the cloud cover and wind. Eventually it got better.

bike: NEUVATION; start time: 8:58; end: 12:26; avg:13.9; max: 29.8; climb: 883; miles: 41.6; mtd miles:556.48; ytd miles:1929.83
Mostly Cloudy; wind: SSW 5; start temp: 50; end: 65

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #86 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:39pm

23-Mar-24      SAT      South Loop Velomobile Solo

Ride start in Rowlett and most southerly point reached was near Cartwright & Lawson in Mesquite. I wasn't feeling it on this ride. I was riding because it would have been a shame to blow off this beautiful day.

bike: DFXL; start time: 11:52; end: 15:35; avg:29.3; max: 39.2; climb: 1696; miles: 65.38; mtd miles:621.86; ytd miles:1995.21
SUNNY; wind: NNE 7; start temp: 54; end: 65

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #87 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:41pm

24-Mar-24      SUN      ROCKWALL-FORNEY RIDE

12.0 avg Rockwall to Forney, in that combination crosswind and headwind.
17.2 avg Forney to Rockwall, in that combination crosswind and tailwind.
The last 5 miles felt really good at 19.1 avg even though we had to stop at 1 stop sign and 3 traffic lights.  
The good news is that I was riding with Eva and she was keeping up just fine so i didn't have to hold back at all on the return trip.

bike: Neuvation; start time: 9:12; end: 12:56; avg:14.8; max: 32.8; climb: 1713; miles: 43.4; mtd miles:665.26; ytd miles:2038.61
CLOUDY; wind: SSE 17-28; start temp: 56; end: 59

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #88 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:43pm

26-Mar-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

The ride was really hard. I don't know if that is because it was so cold; so windy; not much sleep last night; or not much to eat yesterday or today. I'm exhausted and sleepy. Rode with Larry. I also rode a different trike - my Bacchetta Carbon Trike. There's a bit of a learning curve riding that. Hadn't ridden it in months.  This is making me wonder if I should do the Velo Vets Ride tomorrow?

bike: BACCHETTA TRIKE; start time: 10:23; end: 13:36; avg:14.9; max: 24.6; climb: 650; miles: 40.2; mtd miles:705.46; ytd miles:2078.81
SUNNY; wind: NW 11; start temp: 45; end: 51

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #89 - Apr 2nd, 2024, 8:44pm

28-Mar-24      THU      POTEET RIDE

Pleasant temperature without strong S wind but I just wasn't feeling it this evening. Kept up ok but I was often feeling like I had to work hard. That isn't normal. Rode with Ed and Eva. That evening after the ride I began to come down with strong symptoms of a cold.

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:55; end: 20:12; avg:17.0; max: 28.5; climb: 787; miles: 30.79; mtd miles:736.25; ytd miles:2109.6
SUNNY; wind: S 9; start temp: 74; min: 57; end: 64

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print