Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 6:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? 2024 edition (Read 3207 times)
Bud_Bent

Did you ride today? 2024 edition
Jan 4th, 2024, 6:15pm

The forum has only crashed a couple of times in all these years, but both times, it's been the big Did you ride thread that's taken the worst of the crash. It makes me wonder if such a giant thread file has caused the forum software problems. So, let's start a new Did you ride thread every year. Whoever posts the first ride report in 2025, start a new Did you ride post instead of using this one.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today? 2024 edition
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2024, 9:05pm

Yay! The Forum is back up. Thanks Bud.

Thursday 1/4/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Lynn M, Butch Y, and me.

Larry, E Bob, and Kenny each rode solo. Ride leader, Bob M, is out with the flu, so I led Lynn and Butch on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Lynn, Butch, and I rode to the Green Spot to join Kenny, E Bob, Johnnybent, and Craig B for lunch and to celebrate Craig's birthday. Johnnybent, an accomplished artist, presented Craig with a framed watercolor rendering of a Dodge automobile. Craig used to own a hemi-powered Dodge Challenger drag racing car. Following lunch, Lynn rode the short route back to Sunset Bay, while Butch and I completed a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 51.9 miles at a 17.3 mph average. Max speed was 27.3 mph, sprinting with a south wind at our backs in the SoPac bottoms. Average heart rate was 92 bpm, which means I got a good workout for someone who takes a heart rate lowering beta blocker.

The trails were sparsely populated which led to us achieving a decent average.  

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2024, 9:02pm

My 2023 mileage and other stuff recap!
3,725 miles road bikes (Neuvation, Specialized Roubaix)  
75 miles road tandem (Santana)  
2,380 miles recumbent trikes (Catrike 700, Bacchetta Carbon Trike)  
4,139 miles velomobile (DFXL)  
10,319 miles 2023 total  
268,169 feet total climbing, 2023 (or put another way, equivalent to 50.8 miles)  
8,381,464 feet total climbing, 1996 thru 2023  
 (or put another way, equivalent to 1587.4 miles)  
600 hours moving time, 2023  
297,303 miles 1996 thru 2023 Texas miles, actual  
182,000 miles 1970 thru 1995, estimate, California  
479,000 lifetime miles, estimate (excluding pre-1970 mileage)

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2024, 6:15pm

Saturday 1/6/23 WRL Ride:

Just Lynn M and I showed up for today's ride. I was on my Catrike Speed, and she was on her Catrike 700. I led her clockwise out of Sunset Bay around 10:00 am under cloudy skies with the temperature at 42 degrees and wind blowing from the north. We rode to the north end of the SoPac Trail where we did a 180 and headed back down the trail to the Ridgewood Trail entrance, which we took and did a round trip to Glencoe Park. The Ridgewood Trail is supposed to be closed to traffic at the Matilda bridge from Jan 4 to the 19, but the construction company has created a pathway for cycle and pedestrian traffic through the construction area. The only work taking place right now is removal of the fencing between the trail and the Dart train tracks. When we re-entered the SoPac, we rode to the north end again, did a 180, rode back to the lake, then to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail. After riding both branches of the Spine Trail, we rode counterclockwise back to Sunset Bay. After a break, we did a lake lap, then rode to the Green Spot for lunch. Following lunch, we completed a counterclockwise lake lap. My aged Garmin shut off twice during our ride, so I don't have any accurate ride data, but I know from previous rides that we got in a little over 53 miles,

Not a lot of cycle and pedestrian traffic on the trails, due to the chilly weather. The north wind made the temperature feel lower.

Before lunch, my legs were operating at 50 to 75 % usual power output. After lunch, they were around 90%.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2024, 9:46pm

2-Jan-24      TUE      Solo Velomobile South Loop

Today, as it was to be in the 40s for my ride and cloudy, I put on the race cap. That results in about 5 times as many motorists slowing down next to me trying to figure out what I am. The first one, on Rowlett Rd, no more than 3 miles from the house, sat in the left lane matching my speed, which was about 28 mph for a quarter mile, backing up a mass of vehicles behind me. When cars match my speed, I don't look at them, lest they try to have a conversation with me. It's been known to happen. Finally, they moved on. I was concerned angry motorists would take it out on me. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Motorists slowing down next to me happened a couple dozen more times. Nonetheless, I'm glad I put the cap on. It was cold and using it helped keep me warm.
 bike: DFXL; start time: 11:35; end: 14:26; avg:20.2; max: 42.6; climb: 1417; miles:51.29  
CLOUDY; wind: ESE 5; start temp: 43; avg: 45; end: 47

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2024, 9:48pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2024, 9:46pm

6-Jan-24      SAT      North Loop Velomobile ride with Doug

With a start from the shop, we did our usual ride over to Richardson, north through Plano and Frisco, east on Virginia Pkwy to Lake Forest, south through part of McKinney to Stacy and then east to our lunch stop at Rosa's Cafe. After lunch, we continued east on Stacy to Angel Pkwy, south to Parker, east to Murphy Rd and south to Betsy. On Betsy we headed west to the shop. It was cold. I put the race cap on my velo and that protected me from the cold wind making it a very pleasant ride overall. The avg temperature shown, 55°, is the temperature inside the velo in the warmer air. Outside the velo was about 10 degrees cooler with a wind chill.
 BIKE: DFXL; start time: 12:29; end: 16:20; avg: 21.8; max: 38.9; climb: 1188; miles: 51.14  
CLOUDY; wind: WNW 4; start temp: 46; avg: 47; end: 49

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2024, 12:42pm

SOLO mostly at the LAKE

I got started right around noon and brought the trike because in the wind we had today, I didn't want to be on a road bike. Velo Vets was supposed to be today at 10 and I didn't want to start with them in the low 40s when it would be much warmer a couple hours later. I came across Kenny, at the portapotty at Jackson Point and chatted with him for a while. Otherwise, I would have done this entire ride non-stop other than nature breaks. I was down to the last lap when a road bike rider I'd passed earlier caught up to me.  I hadn't recognized him. He was an old friend from the PBA and I rode the entire final lap with him.  But he actually slowed me down. I preferred to ride faster but I didn't want to be rude, so I rode his pace for the final 10+ miles. and, of course, we were catching up on things. I normally see him at the lake but last time was sometime last year. Anyway, good day to get out despite the ridiculous wind. However, the wind eased up quite a bit by the time we were on that last lap. There were barely any white caps on the lake by then.  It was sustained at 16, gusting to 26 by the time I finished, vs the 17, gusting to 34 when I started. That was truly a tough wind!    

bike: CATRIKE 700; start time: 11:58; end: 14:55; avg:16.9; max: 28.7; climb: 1316; miles:43.02; mtd miles:182.27; ytd miles:182.27
SUNNY; wind: SW 17-34; start temp: 50; avg: 54; end: 64

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2024, 12:43pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2024, 7:05pm

Thursday 1/11/23 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Larry and Kenny rode solo. Bob M, back from a battle with a virus, led Lynn, Butch, Don, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. After 41 miles, Bob called it quits. The rest of us rode to the Green Spot for lunch. Johnnybent was cruising around in his Toyota sports car and happened to stop at the Spot. He joined us as we ate and conversed on a wide range of subjects. Following lunch, Lynn and Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while I led Butch and Don on a fast (19.1 mph ave.) counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 52.2 miles at a 15.2 mph average.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2024, 6:17pm

11-Jan-24      THU      Poteet Night Ride

The 3 of us (Ed, Eva, me) took advantage of an abnormaly warm winter evening. The warmth was supported, in part, by very strong south and SE wind gusting up to 38 and sustained at 16. There was, in fact, a wind advisory during our ride. The ride south was challenging to say the least. Of course, that meant the ride north would be the opposite - much faster and more pleasant. This was our first evening ride since Dec 14th - very close to a month ago! It eas good to finally get together for the evening ride and just before the weather goes south for the next several days.  

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:54; end: 20:21; avg:15.3; max: 27.6; climb: 965; miles: 32.55; mtd miles:214.82; ytd miles:214.82  
CLEAR with WIND ADVISORY; wind: SSE 16-38; start temp: 67; avg: 61; end: 59

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2024, 6:26pm

13-Jan-24      SAT      North Loop Velomobile ride with Doug

Today I wanted to make the best of a decent day. Combining the North Loop with a ride from the house guarantees me an 80-mile day. Started off using the Race Cap which ensures warm conditions inside the velo as the opening for the rider is closed off. I started with a LS jersey over a SS jersey and wicking t-shirt. I used my camp pants because even though I had closed off the outside air circulation from the boom, I didn't know if I'd be warm enough. Turns out I didn't need the camp pants - it was plenty warm. That was certainly helped by a sunny day. On a cold day with cloud cover, the pants might still be necessary. The temperature had warmed up to 38° by the time I got started and I arrived at the shop about 10:40, later than desired. Sometimes the traffic lights don't cooperate.  

It had warmed to the mid-40s, and I was overheated. Off came the LS jersey for the rest of the ride after only 15 miles. As it continued to get warmer, I left the wind screen open more and more. That is like opening the vent in the car - cool air comes in and it helps me regulate the inside temperature. By the time we left the shop, the SW wind had picked up considerably. We had partial headwind heading west, mainly tailwind heading north and east and partial headwind heading south. But after we finished lunch at Rosa's Mexican in Allen, there seemed to be practically no wind. That meant to me that the cold front was nearly on top of us.  

We took off heading east on Stacy, over to Angel Pkwy. We had a very strong west wind at that point. We took Angel south to the Malone split and took that all the way south to Chaparral Rd, hung a right and later a left and worked our way through the new development south of Chaparral, to Parker. Then it was east on Parker and south on Murphy. Doug turned off at Betsy and I continued south. By this time, the wind screen was open 100% of the time. It felt pretty warm. Inside the velo, it was 66°. Usually that means it is about 10° cooler outside. I went a different way home than the way I started, to avoid traffic near the Bush Tollway and ended up on Rowlett Rd, still heading south. Finally, I neared Chaha Rd traffic light and there was a nice break in traffic. I got over to the left lane and made the left turn lane just as I got a green arrow - win-win! I took my left on Chaha, another left on Liberty Grove, and reached the Bush Tollway right of way. This part has much lighter traffic and I got onto the Service Road, which is one way south, U-turns at Lake Ray Hubbard and becomes one way north. I turned off of that into my neighborhood and went straight home. Back at home, the day was lovely and warm, and the wind was dead calm! I got the velo unloaded, parked it in the garage and went out to get my mail half an hour later. What a change! The wind was now strong from the north and noticeably chilly.  Wow - lucky to get home before the front arrived! Good ride, no issues, and a nice ride before this winter blast set in, in earnest!

BIKE: DFXL; START TIME: 9:38; END TIME: 15:32; AVG SPEED: 21.5; MAX SPEED: 39.9; CLIM: 1926; MILES: 80.55; MTD MILES: 295.37  
SUNNY; WIND: S 5; SW 16-25; W 9-13; START TEMP: 38; AVG: 49; END TEMP: 61

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2024, 9:34am

There was no one at the East Side ride start Saturday morning, so I drove back down to the lake and parked on West Lawther just south of the Mockingbird overpass.  In mid-January the sun always feels like it's early morning or late afternoon.  Though it was mostly clear at the start,, there were high clouds that eventually interfered with the sun and the southwest wind was cold and persistent.  I trundled off and did two lake laps with SPT up-and-backs, with pauses at the turn-around.  I only stopped once to use the potty at Sunset bay where I noticed some of the Clown crew's cars.  Traffic was light getting denser after noon.  I saw three trikers and a hand-cycle but only saw the Clowns when they whizzed past me as I was loading the trike back into the car.  40 miles at 15.9 mph.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2024, 12:44pm

Saturday 1/13/24 WRL Ride:

Lynn M, Don C, and I waited in the Sunset Bay parking lot until 10:00 AM for other riders to show up, but none did, so I led Lynn and Don out counterclockwise on the lake trail, headed for the north end of the SoPac Trail. Once there we did a 180 and headed south for the Ridgewood Trail exit. Lynn and I stopped at Ridgewood Park to wait for Don. While we were waiting, Lynn took a call from Don who informed her he was still at the north end of the SoPac with a dead motor on his Sprint e-trike. I installed the Bafang drive on his trike but couldn't offer any suggestions as to what could be wrong. He said he would limp back to Sunset Bay in a 58T/36T gear combination, and for Lynn and I to continue on on our usual route. Subsequently, we did a round trip to Glenco Park through the construction area at the Matilda bridge, again rode to the north end of the SoPac, and did a 180, and headed south for the lake. When we reached the Mockingbird Lane overpass, we ran across Don, who was headed north. He turned around and joined us. He informed us that the reason his trike's motor was not operating was because a motor kill switch had been activated by a partially locked brake handle (each of the two brake handles have kill switches mounted on them). We continued south to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail, rode both branches, then rode counterclockwise back to Sunset Bay. After a break, we did a clockwise lake lap, then rode to the Green Spot where we met Craig B for a birthday lunch for Don, whose birthday is today. Following lunch, we noticed the wind had shifted to the north, and it was cooler, as we prepared to ride back to Sunset Bay. Lynn took the short route back, while Don and I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. When we reached Big Thicket, we ran across Butch Y, who had gotten a late start. He rode back to Sunset with Don and I where we all called it quits with the temperature significantly lower than when we entered the Green Spot. Got in 52.8 miles at a 16.6 mph average. My legs were burning. The cold weather and headwinds probably contributed to that. I can't wait for summer to return.

We encountered several road bike pelotons on the trails, but not a whole lot of bike riders overall. Don ran across Clown Ride leader, Bob M, when he was riding on the SoPac by himself, but Lynn and I never saw him.

We ran across some big groups of pedestrians partially blocking the trails and a lot of walkers with dogs on long leashes.

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2024, 12:52pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2024, 6:01pm

Thursday 1/18/23 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Bob M, Kenny J, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

When I arrived at Sunset Bay, the only Clown in the parking lot was Kenny. Looked like it was going to be just him and me riding today, but later Butch, Bob, and Don arrived. Kenny rode solo. Bob led the rest of us on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Bob called it quits at 41 miles. The rest of us rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. We ran across Dainiel S at the Spot. He was riding with the Velo Vets today who stopped at the Spot for a break while we were eating lunch. Following lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while I led Butch and Don on the completion of a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 52.1 miles at a 16.5 mph average.

It was in the low 40s when I arrived at Sunset Bay and the mid 50s when I left. A cold wind was blowing off the lake and wind-blown water in the form of ice lined the southeast shore of the lake.

No incidents or mechanicals today and just a few cyclists and pedestrians on the trails.

Current extended weather forecast indicates it's going to be too cold to ride this weekend and too wet to ride until next weekend.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2024, 10:45pm

18-Jan-24      THU      Velo Vets special day

I had to run an errand over off of 75, after 9AM, and by coincidence Herb had a special Velo Vets ride scheduled for noon. Since I couldn't start at the same time as the Clowns, I opted to bring my road bike and join the Velo Vets. I arrived a bit early and rode a little more than 8 miles before the ride start. At first I rode with Lynn and Di. They lagged the main group though and I had planned to ride with Cindy. So when we approached the Flagpole Trail I let Lynn know that I needed to catch up with Cindy as we had planned to ride together. I sped up to catch the group which I found on West Lawther a little south of Mockingbird and Cindy was there. We rode 2 laps, chatting and chatted some with Debra, also. The others were up ahead a little and we made it over to the Green Spot. Four of the five who showed up for the Clown Ride were inside. Jay knocked on the window to get my attention. I went inside and visited with the 4 of them for a few minutes. The only one missing was Bob. I was pretty sure he had led the group as I thought I saw him the one time our little road bike group passed the trike group going opposite directions. Then I went back outside to visit with the rest of the Velo Vets who were there. It seemed we were at the Green Spot much longer than usual. Turns out it was 51 min, nearly double the time we usually spend there. We left but it was already 2:30 PM and I was still in hopes I’d make the evening ride, but it would be tight. I told Cindy I had decided not to do another lap as I needed to get home. I’d parked at the Big Thicket today as that location made the most sense. That was my first time to park where the Velo Vets park. All in all, it was a pleasant ride. The temperature had gotten relatively nice and it was good to visit with Cindy and some others at the Green Spot. Unfortunately, it turned out to be too late to make the evening ride.

NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; START TIME: 11:14; END TIME: 14:45; AVG SPEED: 13.4; MAX SPEED: 22.8; CLIMB: 728 FT; MILES: 32.26; MTD MILES: 327.63  
SUNNY; WIND: NW 9-15; START TEMP: 51; AVG: 54; END TEMP: 57

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2024, 6:55pm

20-Jan-24      SAT      North Loop Velomobile Ride with Doug

I had originally planned to drive to Plano as I figured it would be too cold to start from my house. Then I got to thinking, 'what about when I get to Plano? I'll have to stand out in the cold getting my velo ready to ride, a process that takes about 10 minutes. If I get it ready inside my garage, which is usually about 15° warmer inside than outside and no windchill, that would be better, right?' It was a no-brainer. Of course, that was the best option. I already know that riding with the hood on over the manhole keeps the rider very warm - at least 15° warmer inside the velo than the ambient temperature outside, and no wind chill!  

So, at 10:15 AM I rolled out of my driveway and set out toward Plano. Just as I imagined, it was comfy inside the velo, and I did use the hood. I usually go north on the Bush Tollway Service Road but owing to the lateness of the morning, I chose not to go that way. There can be more traffic on that than I care for. This time I road west on Miller Rd to Dexham, north on that to Hickox, and north on that to Merritt. That's a couple miles longer than my usual, but I liked it better. Took me about 50 min to reach, Plano, corner of Los Rios and Park.  

Doug had just arrived at the shop, and we set off a few minutes later. We did our usual, which took us all the way up to Virginia Pkwy, taking us through Frisco, McKinney, and then back south on Lake Forest/Watters to Stacy. Rosa's Cafe is on Stacy, east of Watters. After a leisurely lunch there, where the temperature had reached a nearly balmy 34°, we set out heading east and south - Doug toward Murphy, and me, toward Rowlett. It was a slightly longer distance than last week because I had used an alternate route to reach Merritt, but the rest of the ride was identical to last week's ride, albeit colder!

bike: DFXL; start time: 10:15; end: 16:07; avg:21.0; max: 38.2; climb: 2100; miles: 82.42; mtd miles:410.05
SUNNY; wind: NE 9-6; start temp: 24; avg: 30; end: 35

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print