Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 10:09am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? 2024 edition (Read 3196 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today? 2024 edition
Reply #30 - Feb 6th, 2024, 6:40pm

6-Feb-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Beautiful day, if a little cool at the start. Gradually warmed up, the sun made an appearance, and the wind was light to calm - thoroughly enjoyable ride with Larry.

bike: CATRIKE 700; start time: 9:39; end time: 12:47; avg: 15.7; max:24.1; climb: 902; miles: 40.45; mtd miles: 166.19; ytd miles: 769.67
SUNNY; wind: Light & variable; start temp: 45; avg: 59; end: 62

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Feb 6th, 2024, 6:40pm

Tuesday 2/6/23 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, Kenny J, Butch Y, Bob M, Lynn M, Don C, and me.

Daniel and Larry rode together. Kenny and Butch rode solo. Butch didn't arrive at Sunset Bay until the rest of us had already gotten in 41 miles. He rode solo after returning to Sunset Bay, after lunch. Bob led Lynn, Don, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Lynn, Kenny, Butch, Don, and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Lynn has just returned from a three-week trip to Argentina and a cruise to Antartica. She regaled us with photos and stories of her adventures. Following lunch, Lynn, Butch, and Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while Don and I completed a 19-mph average counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 52 miles at a 16.6 mph average.

Great riding weather today. Not many pedestrians and cyclists.

Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #32 - Feb 6th, 2024, 7:34pm

bwand Tues 2/6

I got to the lake at 11:15 without my shoes. I'll try again Thursday. The drive was uneventful.

NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #33 - Feb 7th, 2024, 9:44am

Golden years are wonderful  Smiley

IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #34 - Feb 7th, 2024, 11:29pm

7-Feb-24      WED      VELO VETS

Arrived at the lake having realized, while driving over, that I left my potassium citrate bottle home. Could have made up another bottle from the car supply but I didn't have another bottle in the van. Having made the effort to drive over, I wasn't going to leave until i did something. But the only way to control my heart rate without the electrolyte solution I drink to control it, was to ride slowly and try to keep my heart rate below 120. I mostly succeeded in doing that but couldn't keep it under that on the few climbs that exist at the lake. Max HR a low 127; avg a very low 96. No HR spikes. Rode solo before the stop at the Green Spot. Rode with Rocky for 13 more miles after the Green Spot. Also, briefly joining Rocky and I was Mark Shodeen, whom I know from Plano Bicycle Association and rides at the lake whenever he is in town. He saw me and slowed down and chatted for a few miles as he always does when he sees me there. I usually have a low average when I ride with velo vets. Today i didn't ride with Velo Vets and had an especially low average. Despite that, I'm glad I got a decent ride and spent some quality ride time with Rocky.

NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 9:07; end time: 12:57; avg: 12.3; max: 23.8; climb: 787; miles: 37.17; mtd miles: 203.36; ytd miles: 806.84
HIGH CLOUDS; wind: SSE 8-21; start temp: 51; avg: 61; end: 64

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Feb 8th, 2024, 6:28pm

Thursday 2/8/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Larry, E Bob, and Kenny each rode solo today. Bob M led Lynn, Butch, Don, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Larry got in a little over 20 miles before calling it quits, due to a failing front tire on his Velokraft VK2 low racer. He installed a new tire, but still decided to call it quits. Don raced ahead of us several times to get some cardio work in per doctor's orders. He also decided to keep riding after the rest of us called it quits in an attempt to get in 100 miles on his ICE Sprint X Tour trike. After Butch, Kenny, Don, and I got in 41 miles, we rode counterclockwise to the Green Spot for lunch. Following lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay and Butch, Don, and I completed a 10-mile counterclockwise lake lap at a fast 20.2 mph average. Today I got in a total of 52.3 miles at a 16.7 mph average.

Another nice riding day. Few cyclists and pedestrians on the trails.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #36 - Feb 9th, 2024, 5:28pm

8-Feb-24      THU      POTEET NIGHT RIDE

Very enjoyable ride with Ed and Eva. Mild temperature and light wind also helped.

NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:48; end time: 20:29; avg: 16.2; max: 29.7; climb: 889; miles: 32.82; mtd miles: 236.18; ytd miles: 839.66
CLOUDY; wind: SW 6; start temp: 67; end temp: 57

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Feb 9th, 2024, 5:29pm

9-Feb-24      FRI      VELO VETS

Herb had a special ride planned and it sounded interesting, so I made a point of being at the ride start before 9 AM. Trouble is, I had a flat tire within a couple miles of starting out. The group waited just out of sight and Herb and Sandra came back as did Donna and John. They helped and I'm grateful but once the new tube was in and tire pushed on and pumped up, everyone left. I still needed to remount the wheel on the rear. Then the chain fell off and it took me some time to get the chain back on. John came back and I explained what the delay was. Meanwhile, the group moved on and John and I double-timed it around 3 quarters of the lake to make sure we caught up in time to see the next part of the route Herb planned. Good thing we caught up. I felt completely lost for much of the route. But I enjoyed it. After the Dallas Coffee Shop we headed back to Big Thicket. I had just shy of 20 miles and I wanted to do another lap. Donna went with me, and we had some pleasant conversation. We got back to Big Thicket where I was parked, earlier than she thought we would. That was good. She needed to be back in McKinney by a certain time and she had plenty of time to get there.  This was one time I really enjoyed the outing!

NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 8:58; end: 12:33; avg:13.0; max: 23.3; climb: 686; miles: 30.43; mtd miles: 266.61; ytd miles: 870.09
CLOUDY; wind: SSE 4-13; start temp: 53; avg: 61; end: 63

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #38 - Feb 13th, 2024, 5:09pm

Tuesday 2/13/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, and me.

Daniel and Larry rode together. E Bob and Kenny rode solo. Bob M led Lynn, Butch, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. After getting in 42 miles, Lynn, Butch, Kenny, and I rode counterclockwise to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. After we had finished lunch, Johnnybent joined us, and more conversation ensued. After we left the Spot, Kenny and Lynn took the short route back to Sunset Bay and Butch and I completed a fast counterclockwise lake lap. I got in 52.3 miles at a 16.1 mph average.

Weather was great and trails were for the most part clear. Not many cyclists and pedestrians.

When we returned to our trikes, parked on the north side of the Green Spot, I found a sticky note on my trike that read: "You have no flag, so I almost hit you! We cannot see you!" Haven't experienced a comment like that since I quit riding recumbent bikes. Somebody gaslighting me, because I didn't have any close calls with motor vehicles on my way to the Spot. I think what triggered the person was the fact that the three trikes parked adjacent to my trike all had flags on them. I run bright flashing lights on the front and back of my trike. It's my belief that they are more visible than flags.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Feb 13th, 2024, 7:33pm

Jay, I agree with you. I have never used a flag because they are generally invisible to motorists. If the person had any sense, he would have gone in and told you in person and then you could have told him your philosophy in person. My lights are far more visible than any flag would ever be.

13-Feb-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Was running late, so texted Larry not to wait. Arrived at Sunset Bay at 10:05. Larry said he waited until 10:04! Oh well. Got started after about 20 min and decided I could possibly get 2 regular lake laps and then join Larry for his last 20. That was the plan. Rode clockwise around the lake to the north end and then, change of plans, decided to do the Ferndale Loop. That adds about 10 miles. Was finishing that up and heading toward the Big Thicket for a whiz stop when I saw Larry climbing the access trail to avoid hamburger hill. I waved but didn't join Larry. If I had, I would have been 5 miles short on miles at the end. I wanted at least 40 by the end. So, I carried on. i figured I could ride counterclockwise around the lake and get back to Sunset Bay and then I'd have the extra miles I needed. I hoped Larry would still be at Sunset Bay by then. Unfortunately, he wouldn't have been.  

First, I saw the group going the other way. Then I saw Larry going the other way. I needed to U-turn. I was riding along Garland Rd and decided to U-Turn just before the trail goes left across the bridge. Then I high tailed it back the way I'd come and up the SoPac Trail. That's where I caught up with Larry. I rode with Larry after that and finished the ride with about half a mile more than normal. Good enough!

BIKE: CATRIKE   START TIME: 10:24  END TIME: 12:58   AVG SPEED: 17.6   MAX SPEED: 28.7   CLIMBING: 1296   MILES: 40.95   MTD MILES: 307.56   YTD MILES: 911.04    
SKY: SUNNY   WIND: SW 6-10   START TEMP: 46   END TEMP: 62

Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #40 - Feb 14th, 2024, 6:40pm

[quote  I agree with you. I have never used a flag because they are generally invisible to motorists. If the person had any sense, he would have gone in and told you in person and then you could have told him your philosophy in person. My lights are far more visible than any flag would ever be.
[/quote]

Flags are only good in parking lots or when you run into the lake

NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Feb 14th, 2024, 8:12pm

Quote from NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob on Feb 14th, 2024, 6:40pm:
[quote  I agree with you. I have never used a flag because they are generally invisible to motorists. If the person had any sense, he would have gone in and told you in person and then you could have told him your philosophy in person. My lights are far more visible than any flag would ever be.

Flags are only good in parking lots or when you run into the lake [/quote]

Words of wisdom from our eldest member.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2024, 8:13pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #42 - Feb 15th, 2024, 9:32pm

Thursday 2/15/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Don C, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, and me.

Daneil and Larry rode together. E Bob and Kenny rode solo. Bob M led Lynn, Butch, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs for a total of 41 miles. Lynn, Butch, Kenny, and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. Johnnybent drove to the Spot and joined us for lunch. After lunch, I led Lynn and Butch on the completion of a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay. I got in 52.2 miles at a 16.1 mph average.

Another great riding day, weather wise.

Incident in the in the SoPac Trail bottoms: Bob M, Lynn, Butch, and I were riding north when up ahead a Vickery Meadow denizen, pushing a purloined Tom Thumb grocery cart full of stuff south in the middle of our lane, started loudly yelling some unintelligible garbage at us. Who knows what goes through these people's minds (What's left of them). We just rode around her.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #43 - Feb 16th, 2024, 4:51pm

15-Feb-24      THU      CLOWN RIDE

Figured I could do this ride and the Poteet Ride without too much trouble as long as I skipped the boat club after the ride and went home for a proper lunch. I did that, had a 1½ hour nap and felt great on the 2nd ride of the day. Not planning to make this a habit, though.

BIKE: Catrike 700  /START TIME:  9:40  /END TIME: 12:48   /AVG SPEED: 15.6   /MAX SPEED: 25.4   /CLIMBING: 889   /MILES: 40.23   /MTD MILES: 347.79   /YTD MILES: 951.27  
SKY: high clouds   /WIND: SW 6   /START TEMP: 55   /END TEMP: 66

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #44 - Feb 16th, 2024, 4:52pm

15-Mar-24      THU      POTEET RIDE

This ride was with Ed and Eva. We had a good ride, enjoying mild temperature and light wind. It's been quite a while since I've done 2 rides in one day. Today was special, though, as Larry made a banana nut bread loaf for me, for my birthday, and I agreed to ride in the morning to pick it up while it was fresh. It was 72 miles for the day, but I felt great - no tiredness at all.

BIKE: Neuvation   /START TIME: 17:50   /END TIME: 20:11   /AVG SPEED: 16.7   /MAX SPEED: 29.1   /CLIMBING: 958   /MILES: 32.56   /MTD MILES: 380.4   /YTD MILES:  983.8  
SKY: high clouds  /WIND: SSE 4 /START TEMP: 68   /END TEMP: 59

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print