Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 2:41pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? 2024 edition (Read 3201 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today? 2024 edition
Reply #60 - Mar 4th, 2024, 4:18pm

3-Mar-24      SUN      Rockwall-Forney Ride

I've done this ride many times in strong headwind. Today's may have been the toughest south wind we have endured. I don't know if it was, but I do know I feel wiped out. On the other hand, the return trip was great. It just wasn't great enough to offset the fatigue I felt from going south.  

BIKE:  Neuvation Road Bike  /START TIME:  9:06 /END TIME:  12:43 /AVG SPEED:  14.6  /MAX SPEED:  31.2 /CLIMBING:  1719 /MILES:  43.25 /MTD MILES:  139.68 /YTD MILES:  1513.09  
SKY: Sunny  /WIND:  SSW 16-22 /START TEMP: 63  /END TEMP: 74

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #61 - Mar 4th, 2024, 4:19pm

4-Mar-24      MON      VELO VETS

Started off relatively warm and got warmer. There was some wind which felt strong but was below white cap level. So my impression that it was too strong was probably related to being tired from yesterday's ride. Fortunately, I had good friends nearby and that helped the enjoyment of the ride.  

BIKE: Neuvation Road Bike  /START TIME: 8:51  /END TIME: 12:08  /AVG SPEED: 14.9  /MAX SPEED: 24.1  /CLIMBING: 853  /MILES: 40.08 /MTD MILES: 179.76  /YTD MILES:   1553.11
SKY: partly cloudy  /WIND: S 12  /START TEMP: 66  /END TEMP: 78

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #62 - Mar 5th, 2024, 6:05pm

Tuesday 3/5/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, E Bob, Mark Mc D, Ken 3, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me

Daniel and Larry rode together as did Mark and Ken 3. E Bob rode solo. We had a mix up waiting for Don to get ready to ride (he arrived at the lake later than the rest of us). Butch and I thought Bob M and Lynn had rolled out, and were headed for the SoPac Trail, while we were talking to Don. We told Don we were going to try to catch them, so we rolled out and put the pedal to the metal. When we reached the north end of the SoPac, no Bob and Lynn. We headed back down the trail and ran across Don and finally Bob and Lynn. We did a 180 and joined them as they rode to the north end. We then all rode back to the lake and Sunset Bay. Following a break, Bob led us on a second lake lap and SoPac up-and-back. Back at Sunset Bay, Bob and Lynn packed it in and left the Bay. Butch drove to the Green Spot, while Don and I rode there on our trikes. Following lunch at the Spot, Don and I completed a fast (20.3 mph average) counterclockwise lake lap back to Sunset Bay. I got in 54.9 miles at a 17-mph average moving speed. Max speed was 30.5 mph on the smooth asphalt flats of West Lawther.

No mechanicals today. The new stock power double idler I installed on my Aero trike, yesterday, while noisier than the old single idler I had adapted to the trike, got the job done.

One incident: We had to slow down for two small dogs running free on the SoPac (they should have been on leashes for their safety). As we passed, I think Lynn said something to the dogs' owner, because she responded with: "Mind your own business" as I passed her.  

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2024, 6:08pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #63 - Mar 9th, 2024, 6:24pm

No Eastside ride, so I went to the lake and parked in the Arboretum trail lot.  It was still overcast when I arrived, with the temperature in the 40s, and a stiff North wind, so trail traffic was not so heavy.  I went down to the Santa Fe trail and took it down to the park past Glasgow St., where I turned around and headed back to the SPT.  By then the sky was clearing from the North, and it stayed sunny from then on.  There I encountered Don and Lynn riding together.  The SPT still had puddles, but not so much as I had expected after two days of rain.   I did the up-and-back and went around the lake, stopping at Sunset Bay, where Lynn and Don had parked.  From there I `went on to repeat my first lap, again seeing Don and Lynn on the SPT.  The last half of my ride was more pleasant with the sunshine, though the crowds had started to arrive.  I wound up with 50 miles.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #64 - Mar 10th, 2024, 5:22pm

5-Mar-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Finally, a practically windless day along with very mild temperatures, under partly cloudy skies.

BIKE: Catrike 700  START TIME: 9:34  END TIME: 12:47  AVG SPEED: 16.1  MAX SPEED: 26.1  CLIMBING: 1007  MILES: 41.3 MTD MILES: 221.06  YTD MILES:   1594.41
SKY: partly cloudy  WIND: SSE 6  START TEMP: 66  END TEMP: 81

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #65 - Mar 10th, 2024, 5:22pm

6-Mar-24      WED      VELO VETS - partly solo

This was another ideal day with practically no wind although remaining overcast and little sign of the predicted warmth, at least during the morning hours. But I needed to cut it short, and I skipped the stop at the Green Spot so I could wrap up what more of the ride i wanted to do and head out. That was a good decision in terms of having motivation to get my afternoon errands done.  Traffic heading toward home was lighter and that was a big part of wanting to leave the lake earlier. (Rode with Bill, Cindy, Rocky, Randel, Solo)

BIKE: Neuvation Road Bike  START TIME: 9:09  END TIME: 11:35  AVG SPEED: 14.7  MAX SPEED: 26.1  CLIMBING: 807  MILES: 34.55 MTD MILES: 255.61  YTD MILES: 1628.96
SKY: Cloudy  WIND: NE 6  START TEMP: 60  END TEMP: 64

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #66 - Mar 10th, 2024, 5:23pm

10-Mar-24      SUN      Rockwall-Forney Ride

Today might have been the best Sunday for a ride, this year. There was no wind to speak of and the morning temperature was a bit chilly, but ok. It stayed relatively chilly for the entire ride but that wasn't bad. Riding today was me, Eva, Ed, Paul, and Carlos. We all stayed together pretty well - about 90% of the time so we were a good group!

BIKE: Neuvation Road Bike  START TIME: 9:02  END TIME: 12:47  AVG SPEED: 15.3  MAX SPEED: 31.6  CLIMBING: 1650  MILES: 43.46 MTD MILES: 299.07  YTD MILES: 1672.42
SKY: Sunny  WIND: NNW 2  START TEMP: 44  END TEMP: 57

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #67 - Mar 12th, 2024, 7:03pm

Tuesday 3/12/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Daniel S, Larry K, Mark McD, Ken 3, Kenny J, Bob M, Lynn M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Daniel and Larry rode together as did Mark and Ken 3. Kenny rode 40+ miles solo. Bob led Lynn, Butch, and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up-and-backs. Don arrived at the lake late and rode mostly solo. Bob and Lynn packed it in after riding 41) miles. Kenny, Butch, and I rode to the Green Spot for lunch and conversation. We were joined by Johnnybent who rode to the Spot on his 599cc moped. Following lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay, while Butch and I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. We were joined by Don on West Lawther. I got in about 52 miles. No data recorded because I forgot my Garmin computer.

Good weather, except for the southerly 12 mph+ headwinds after lunch.

One mechanical: I heard a mechanical noise as we were riding south on the SoPac. I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw Butch's trike slowing down. I turned around and rode back to where Butch was stopped. Seems his upper chain tube had loosened from its mooring and jammed itself between the chain and chainring, resulting in the chain being thrown off the chainring. Butch moored the chain tube with a zip tie, put the chain back on, and zoomed off to catch up with Bob and Lynn.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #68 - Mar 14th, 2024, 7:40pm

Thursday, March 14, 2024: Clown ride

I awoke early, and it was dry outside, so, after breakfast I headed to the lake.  I was about to start when Daniel arrived.  After I started Larry, Kenny, and Lynn came.  Daniel and Larry rode together, and Lynn and Kenny rode solo.  Although it was humid, with a few sprinkles, it was a decent day for a ride.  I did two long laps, as usual, with an extra mile at the end, for Saturday.  Total equaled 42 miles.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #69 - Mar 16th, 2024, 12:13am

Wednesday Mar 13
Non-Motorize Group of One

As I reported earlier, I couldn’t wait another day to ride since the doctor gave me the green light to ride. So I started up the White Rock Trail when I saw the North Haven sign I took it. I rode to the end and back. I continued around the lake to the van. I was a little disappointed in the North Haven Trail, basically flat and to many stop signs.

I was approaching Tee Pee Hill when I heard what though was streetcar coming. This dude was coming down the hill picking up speed and fighting to stay on his Walmart Special. I was ready to hit the grass when I saw his problem. He was riding on the rims, no tires. I bet he rode all the down the Santa Fe from home.

NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #70 - Mar 16th, 2024, 10:12am

Quote from NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob on Mar 16th, 2024, 12:13am:
Wednesday Mar 13
Non-Motorize Group of One

As I reported earlier, I couldn’t wait another day to ride since the doctor gave me the green light to ride. So I started up the White Rock Trail when I saw the North Haven sign I took it. I rode to the end and back. I continued around the lake to the van. I was a little disappointed in the North Haven Trail, basically flat and to many stop signs.

I was approaching Tee Pee Hill when I heard what though was streetcar coming. This dude was coming down the hill picking up speed and fighting to stay on his Walmart Special. I was ready to hit the grass when I saw his problem. He was riding on the rims, no tires. I bet he rode all the down the Santa Fe from home.

Are there any port-a-potties on the North Haven Trail? Somebody told me there used to be one, but it had been removed.

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #71 - Mar 16th, 2024, 12:38pm

I better let someone else reply, Been long time since ridden  Smiley it and I forgot!!

IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #72 - Mar 16th, 2024, 7:44pm

12-Mar-24      TUE      CLOWN RIDE

Rode my recumbent trike on this ride along with Larry, although not the entire ride. When I wasn't riding with Larry, I had an opportunity to pick up the pace, especially into the wind. There was a south wind, but it wasn't strong enough to cause white caps on the lake while we were riding.  I felt good, the temperature was pleasant, and the sky ranged from partly cloudy to mostly cloudy.  After the ride, we retired to the boat club where we enjoyed Cheetos and conversation. Bob Millay joined us. While the other 2 drink regular beer, I stick with my non-alcoholic beer choice. Has the same great flavor, but no impact while driving home.

BIKE: Catrike 700  START TIME: 9:37  END TIME: 12:41  AVG SPEED: 15.9  MAX SPEED: 25.5  CLIMBING: 1020  MILES: 40.85 MTD MILES: 339.92  YTD MILES: 1672.42
SKY: Partly Cloudy  WIND: S 9  START TEMP: 55  END TEMP: 68

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #73 - Mar 16th, 2024, 7:45pm

14-Mar-23      THU      CLOWN RIDE

Had a window of opportunity to ride before any storms materialized. We had a little drizzle at times but nothing serious. Got the usual miles and I'm happy I went for it!

bike: Catrike 700; start time: 9:12; end: 12:16; avg:15.1; max: 25.9; climb: 755; miles: 40.44; mtd miles:380.36; ytd miles:1753.71
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: ENE 5; start temp: 60; avg: 64; end: 62

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #74 - Mar 16th, 2024, 7:46pm

16-Mar-24      SAT      South Loop Velomobile Solo

Didn’t get a ride yesterday although I could have. Just wasn’t motivated. This morning, I checked the weather news, and they were saying only low chance of rain before noon. That was close to 9 AM. I decided if I got on the ball I could get out the door by 9:30 (riding from the house) and still get a decent ride during the 2½ hours that would be safe (dry) to be out riding. I finished at 12:15 with elapsed time 29 minutes longer than ride time. Since my remote garage door opener/closer is not working (again) I had to start from my garage area, ride around the block to the front of my house, go in and through the house and hit the closer and back out to the velo to start. Had to do the reverse of that at the end. Also had a few long red lights to wait on and one whiz stop. That added up to 29 minutes. I checked the time of day at mile 29 and saw I had an hour until noon at that point and decided to cut the ride shorter than I had planned, as I still had 20 miles left to get home. I’d say it worked out pretty well. By half an hour later, lightning was occurring, and the rain was pouring. It was still dry when I finished. So glad I didn’t drive somewhere to ride as that would have shortened my available “dry time” for riding!

bike: DFXL; start time: 9:29; end: 12:15; avg:20.4; max: 39.3; climb: 1381; miles: 49.23; mtd miles:429.59; ytd miles:1802.94
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: NE 9; start temp: 59; end: 63

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print