Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 5:00pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Did you ride today? 2024 edition (Read 3206 times)
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Did you ride today? 2024 edition
Reply #15 - Jan 22nd, 2024, 7:54am

21-Jan-24      SUN      South Loop Velomobile Solo

Now that I know I can do a ride on a cold day without too much discomfort in the velomobile, with the hood on, that opens up days I wouldn’t ordinarily ride. Today, being dry for most of the day, it was an opportunity to get a decent ride and I was hoping the route I had planned would end up being 50+. That worked great.  

I rode across the Rowlett Road causeway across Lake Ray Hubbard to reach a low traffic southbound route which took me through Garland, Sunnyvale, and Mesquite. I didn’t go south of Cartwright in Mesquite but rode east and west on that. Then I tried a new route by turning north off of Cartwright onto Mesquite Valley but continuing north rather than veering off to the NE. I knew I could get to Pioneer that way but was uncertain of the route. I used the map on the Garmin to help with that navigation.  With uncertainty about construction the usual way I would go, I planned on Pioneer because that would take me straight north back to US80 and continuing on Collins. Then at the roundabout, I took a right on Tripp and turned north up the school access road. That was so I could cross Collins at the light and ride through the adjacent neighborhood. That gets me to Stoney Creek and then west over to Jobson. Then I went south on Jobson, looped through the neighborhood just north of 80 and back north on Jobson to Hidden Lake. That was strictly a run for extra mileage. I do it sometimes because it’s easy. Then I took Hidden Lake over to New Hope and north to Town East. I stayed westbound on Town East to the 2nd light, hung a right and rode north to Barnes Bridge. After a turn west on BB I turned right on Palos Verdes and rode north to Northwest Drive and then east to Belt Line. I prefer that indirect route to riding straight north on Belt Line. There is more traffic on Belt Line which I don't care for. I turned right off of Belt Line at the last light before I-30. From there, I take my usual route home, which adds the last 10 miles to my ride.  

Despite the temperature being in the low 30s for the entire ride, I still managed to get too hot. To get relief, I partially unzipped the 3 LS jerseys I was wearing and opened the windscreen more to let some refreshing cool air in. The inside temperature of the velo at the end was 55° - outside, it was 33°. Part of that is me breathing on the Garmin. It probably wasn’t that warm inside the velo. It felt like upper 40s, but again no windchill – that really helps. I did see 2 road bike riders coming north on Rebecca as I was heading south on my outbound. We all waved!

bike: DFXL; start time: 11:57; end: 14:53; avg:18.9; max: 36.4; climb: 1450; miles: 51.56; mtd miles:461.61
CLOUDY; wind: SE 8; start temp: 32; end: 33

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Jan 25th, 2024, 6:52pm

Thursday 1/25/23 WRL Clown Ride.

Participants: Larry K, Kenny J, Bob M, Don C, Butch Y, and me.  

Larry, Kenny, and Butch all rode solo. Butch didn't arrive at Sunset Bay until the rest of us had gotten in 41 to 47 miles. Bob led Don and me on two lake laps and SoPac Trail up and backs. On our second trip down the SoPac from its north end, Bob and I lost sight of Don, who was bringing up the rear. We had ridden 2.5 miles when we decided to turn around and look for him. We found him about a half mile from the north end with Larry. One of the Velcro straps on his right pedal had come loose and wedged itself between the chain and chain ring, forcing the chain off to the left where it wrapped itself around the e-drive. Larry and Don had to remove the rear wheel to get enough slack to get the chain unwrapped. Back at Sunset Bay, having ridden 47 miles, Bob called it quits. Don, Kenny, and I planned to ride to the Green Spot. I mounted my trike and started to strap into my right pedal when I noticed one of the Velco straps was about to rip off the pedal. Don and Kenny went ahead and rode their trikes to the Spot while I loaded up my trike in my van and drove there. After lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay and Don completed a counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 47.1 miles at a 15.1 mph average.

Pleasant weather today. Temps were in the 50s and there was hardly any wind.

We all got splattered with dirty water from the many pools of water on the SoPac Trail.  Trail drainage leaves something to be desired. Many low spots in the trail pavement surface. The poor surface quality of the pavement makes for a rough ride. If you ride with your head on a head rest, your head is going to get pounded.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2024, 11:20am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2024, 11:07pm

25-Jan-24      THU      Poteet Night Ride

It was just Eva and I tonight. We had considered riding with Melinda, but Eva was ready to go at 5:40. So I texted Melinda to let her know and we rolled at 5:42. Skies were light for about the first half hour of the ride. That allowed us to get onto the quieter roads by the time it got dark. There was practically no wind, and I expected the temperature to stay around 50. But I guess the clouds broke enough and the temperature dropped as low as 42.8 along Rebecca. My plan was to stay north of 80 and I planned a route that would give us 32.5 miles. That involved doing the eastern part of the route twice. That area was generally bounded by Jobson, Collins, East Fork, Polly, Barnes Bridge, and the 80 Service-road, north side.  I didn’t want to go south of 80 because a key road, Long Creek, was under construction, southbound, and the south side service road was likely to be heavy with overflow traffic from 80. That appeared to be the case. The first time on the 80-service road westbound, eastbound 80 was a parking lot. The second time around it was still heavy, although improved a little. But it was too late then. One area that I wished we had skipped was the access road through the high school. There was a lot of school related traffic and parked cars along that. I’m not sure I would do that again, at least not in the dark. We finished up back at Poteet, not having stopped anywhere. That is not unusual for me when I ride out there solo, but I was wondering how Eva would do without a stop. She seemed unfazed and that’s good. We were surprised that there was no sign of the ‘Eagles’ group – it was just our 2 cars at the finish just as it had been when we left.

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:42; end: 19:51; avg:15.6; max: 28.8; climb: 1020; miles: 32.86; mtd miles:494.47
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: WSW 2-8; start temp: 55; avg: 45; end: 45; min: 42.8

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2024, 6:38pm

No East Side ride this morning, but I just had to get a few miles, so I went to the lake.  There was a running event still going on which seemed to be winding down.  I started at the dam parking lot and took a trip down the Santa Fe trail to the high school, then back to the SPT.  Then down and onto W. Lawther and around the lake.  The clouds and the chilly and persistent wind made for an uncomfortable ride, so I did the Santa Fe and rail trail and back for 32 miles at 15.4 mph., then home for a hot shower.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Jan 28th, 2024, 5:05pm

28-Jan-24      SUN      Rockwall-Forney Ride

It was pretty darned chilly at our start time of 9 AM. It was 34° when I arrived at Eva’s, but that was 20 min before 9 AM. Strava shows it was 37° at our start. In any case, we were blessed with sunshine, a NW wind (tailwind on first half), and expectation that it would warm up quickly. I think it did – by the time we reached Forney, it was 45° and when we left, my Garmin was showing a shade temp of 50°. But the return trip felt shockingly cold – that headwind was frigid. I had taken my ski gloves off and my windbreaker and I intensely regretted that during the start back to Rockwall. It was quite uncomfortable on the way back although it became less so as we neared Rockwall. I would say, in the last 5 miles, I was reasonably comfortable. I pulled part of the time; Eva did at other times. It was a balanced ride, I thought. It was nice to get this ride and I felt good for all of it. Not riding on Saturday helped, I would say!

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 9:01; end: 12:49; avg:14.6; max: 28.8; climb: 1732; miles:43.23; mtd miles:537.7
SUNNY; wind: NW 6; start temp: 37; avg: 45; end: 55

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Jan 29th, 2024, 3:53pm

29-Jan-24      MON      Short South Loop

I stepped out early afternoon to move my trash barrel back in and couldn't believe how fantastic it had become. Just couldn't pass up a ride. Rode down to Sunnyvale, did a couple loops, and headed home. 2 of those loops took me along westbound 80. Eastbound 80 was a total parking lot!! That was at 1:30. At 2:15, same thing. But it was just east of Collins. West of Collins those poor folks rolling east probably had no clue about what lay in wait for them. In any case, I had better luck on my ride than folks on 80. Nice to be able to get a good ride from the house!

bike: DFXL; start time: 12:54; end: 15:06; avg:22.2; max: 38.1; climb: 1407; miles: 47.49; mtd miles:585.19
SUNNY; wind: WSW 7; start temp: 62; avg: 66; end: 70

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2024, 8:24pm

I found Butch, Jay, and Kenny at Sunset Bay when I pulled in this morning.  Larry arrived after me and E-Bob and John and Heidi were there when we finished the first lap.  Kenny started before us, and Jay found he couldn't et his battery to work, and went home to deal with that.  Butch and I did a SPT up and back and lake lap, with Larry near us most of the way until he pulled away on the last five miles.  Jay was back when we rolled in.  He had had to fix a cable from his battery, but made a mistake and lit it up trying to connect it up there in the parking lot.  He didn't ride with us.  Butch, Larry, and I took another long lap.  Handcycle Bob joined us coming back down the SPT.  I kept up a pretty good pace on both laps to average 16.2 mph for 41 miles.  Larry's average was a bit higher.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Jan 30th, 2024, 8:46pm

Tuesday 1/30/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, E Bob, Kenny J, Bob M, Butch Y, and me.

Larry, E Bob, and Kenny rode solo. Bob M led Butch on two lake laps and SoPac up-and-backs.

I didn't get to ride with Bob and Butch. I've been waiting for dry weather so I could ride my Greenspeed Aero trike. Today was going to be the day. I showed up early at Sunset Bay, unloaded the Aero from my van and started prepping it. After everyone else had arrived, discovered that one of the Aero's battery connectors was missing. I loaded up the trike and left for home as Bob and Butch were doing their initial rollout. Fabricated a connector in my garage, then drove back to Sunset Bay and unloaded the Aero. Prepped the trike, got on it and tried to turn on the display. Uh oh, no power. Got off the trike, separated the connector, checked the voltage, then re-engaged the connector. POW! 58.8-volt arc. I had mistakenly installed the new connector backwards, so there was a big reverse polarity arc that blackened the male and female connector components. So, it was back to my garage for the second time to correct the problem. By the time I got back to Sunset Bay, Bob M, Butch, and Kenny had completed 41 miles, and it was time for lunch. I unloaded the Aero, prepped it, powered up the display, and we were off to the Green Spot with me in the lead. About 1/3 mile east of Sunset, I lost power. Fiddled with the connector and the power came back on. After we started the long climb up Tiffany Hill, behind Dallas Academy, the Aero lost power. Butch informed me that a wire had come loose from the connector (poor soldering job). I turned around and rode back to Sunset Bay under muscle power. I came off the hill by the Stone Tables at 24.5 mph and sustained over 22 mph for about 1/4 mile on the flats (the old guy has still got a little muscle left  Smiley). Back at Sunset Bay, I loaded up the trike then drove to the Green Spot to join Butch and Kenny for lunch and conversation. Got in only 1.94 miles. A great riding day wasted. I should fire my mechanic, but that's not going to happen because he's me.

Found the lost power connector when I got back home, so the Aero's going to be fully operational for Thursday's Clown Ride.

My Greenspeed Aero e-trike. Battery is located in the pod at the rear. 750-watt Tongsheng mid drive at the front.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2024, 8:15pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Jan 31st, 2024, 11:49pm

31-Jan-24      WED      Velo Vets Cut Short

I have no public comments.

BIKE: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; START TIME 8: 54; END TIME 10:24; AVG: 15.3; MAX 26.1; CLIMB: 404; MILES: 18.29; MTD MILES: 603.48
SUNNY; WIND: CALM; START TEMP: 45; AVG TEMP: 49; MAX TEMP: 54

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Feb 1st, 2024, 9:22pm

Thursday 2/1/24 WRL Clown Ride:

Participants: Larry K, Kenny J, Bob M, Butch Y, Don C, and me.

Larry and Kenny both rode solo. Don arrived late and did 30+ miles solo. I reported on Thursday that my Aero trike would be fully operational today. Well, that didn't happen. Bob M led Butch and I out on an initial lake lap and SoPac Trail up-and-back. Initially, I thought the trike's drive was functioning, but when we started riding into the headwind, I couldn't keep up with the pace Bob was setting. I tried increasing the assist level to no avail. Finally, came to the conclusion that the drive was providing no assist. When I was halfway to the dam I turned around and rode back to Sunset Bay where I loaded the Aero in my van and drove home. Unloaded the Aero, loaded my Catrike Speed, and drove back to the lake. Just as I finished prepping the Speed, Bob and Butch returned to Sunset Bay, after getting in 20+ miles. Rode with Bob and Butch on their second lake lap and SoPac up-and-back. Back at Sunset Bay it was time for lunch, so Butch, Kenny, and I rode to the Green Spot. Don's SUV was in the parking lot, but he was out riding the trails. He eventually joined us at the Spot. Following lunch, Kenny took the short route back to Sunset Bay. I led Don and Butch on the completion of a fast counterclockwise lake lap. Back at Sunset Bay, Don decided he wanted to ride another lake lap. Since I was short on miles for going home to exchange trikes, I joined him. Total mileage for the day was 42. Mileage for the last lake lap was 11.2 at a 19-mph average. Got good workouts on the last two lake laps.

Good riding weather today. Would have been perfect if not for the southerly head winds.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Feb 2nd, 2024, 7:36am

1-Feb-24      THU      POTEET RIDE

Ed was not enthralled with his experience on Tuesday. He'd had to walk his bike a significant distance on the south side frontage road along Hwy 80 due to bumper-to-bumper traffic. He wanted to do what Eva and I had done last Thursday. So, we started out doing that, but I knew I would have to add miles to make up for not going through the high school area off of Tripp. The adjustments I made to the route ended up adding a couple miles to what Eva and I got last Thursday. The east loop including the side trip to Barnes Bridge was done twice. Ed was fine with the mileage. His words, "it was a good workout!"

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 17:24; end time: 19:47; avg speed: 16.4; max speed: 28.1; climb: 1047; miles: 35.23; ytd miles: 638.71
CLEAR; wind: S 12-26; start temp: 68; avg: 61; end temp: 59

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #26 - Feb 3rd, 2024, 5:41pm

With the cloudy, cool weather this morning, I decided to drive to the lake to ride. As I respected, the traffic was fairly light there.  There was a bit of a southwest wind, and I turned into it to do the Santa Fe trail to the school and back, then headed up the SPT.  All the puddles were full on the trail, and the mud was reactivated.  Thence back down to the W. Lawther access and around the lake.  I spotted Jay's minivan at sunset, and weaved through the foot traffic on the trail by the arboretum.  As I approached the dam, I encountered Jay coming the other way, and I pulled into the lower overlook and waited.  He came up in a minute, and I waited for him to use the little plastic room.  We did another Santa Fe tour, and came back to get onto W. Lawther and do another lake lap, as Jay was averse to splashing through the SPT.  I finished my ride with 41 miles and came home, while Jay continued on to get some more miles (and, no doubt, to improve his average speed).

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #27 - Feb 3rd, 2024, 6:53pm

Short South Loop

Had planned to get out and ride much earlier, but despite the rainless forecast, it looked like it would rain. I didn't get to ride with Doug, either. He had gotten out early and encountered sporadic rain in his area. 2 hours after I decided not to ride because it looked like it would rain, the sun was out, and I decided then and there I would ride. I didn't plan on anything long. My recent habit of staying north of Hwy 80 was working out well and that is what I decided to do. I did ride south through the high school along the access road and there was a boat show going on there - all the parking areas were filled with outboard motorboats on trailers hooked up to pickup trucks. I can't say I've ever seen anything like that before. The temperature was pleasant and there was wind although it wasn't strong enough to feel on the velomobile.  

bike: DFXL; start time: 14:51; end: 17:11; avg: 20.7; max: 38.1; climb: 1299; miles:46.8; mtd miles: 82.0; ytd miles: 685.5
PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: S 10; start temp: 63; avg: 65; end: 64

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Feb 3rd, 2024, 7:00pm

Saturday 2/3/23 WRL Ride:

Was supposed to ride with Don C and Butch Y today, but they opted out, due to the sloppy trails. I rolled out of Sunset Bay at 8:00 AM and did a clockwise lake lap. After a break, I rolled out intending to do another lake lap. When I reached the parking lot below the dam, decided to see if Bob M's van was in the lot. It was, so I took the Santa Fe Trail in search of him. Rode to Glasgow Dr. No Bob. Then rode to the Trinity Forest Spine Trail and searched both branches. No Bob. On my way back to Sunset Bay, ran across Bob on the trail bridge below the WRL dam. Turned around and joined him on an up and back on the Santa Fe Trail. Back at the lake we did a lake lap. I decided to do another lake lap and left Bob at the lot where his van was parked. Back at Sunset Bay, I rolled out counterclockwise on the lake trail and rode to the Green Spot for lunch. Johnnybent happened to be there, so we ate lunch together (he munched on cookies while I downed a chicken fajita plate). Following lunch, I completed a counterclockwise lake lap. Got in 56.7 miles at a 15.5 mph average.

Cloudy and cool when I started riding and sunshine and moderate temp when I finished. A few sprinkles on East Lawther when I was on my third lake lap.

Splish splash. Wet and muddy. I ran off the trail, west of the Stone Tables, dodging a large puddle, and ran into another puddle. My left side got soaked and I got a face full of muddy water.

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2024, 6:27pm

4-Feb-24      SUN      Rockwall /Forney /rtn

Cold ride to Forney; windy cold ride back. Saw some sun near the end.

bike: NEUVATION ROAD BIKE; start time: 9:08; end: 12:43; avg: 15.0; max: 30.3; climb: 1670; miles: 43.71 mtd miles: 125.74; ytd miles: 729.22
CLOUDY, becoming PARTLY CLOUDY; wind: NNE 11; NW 14; start temp: 50 min: 46 avg: 48; max: 55; end: 55

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2024, 6:28pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print