Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 3:14am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 197906 times)
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #225 - Jul 26th, 2012, 7:26pm

Hello Everyone, another n00b here!

My name is Oliver, and my screen name is Mizta_Nice. I'm relatively new to recumbents, but I have been riding for a couple of years, mostly by myself since I don't personally know any other 'bent riders as of yet. I have been reading the boards for a few months now, and I figured it was time for me to stop lurking and start mingling. I'm hoping to get some knowledge about bikes and maybe find out about some of the better rides in the area.

Like many of you, I started out riding a wedgie until I developed back issues. Now, I wonder why I didn't switch to a 'bent sooner, because I love being able to look where I am going while flying down the road. I also love not wondering when my back is going to start hurting or when the neck, wrist and bum pains are going to begin. I've worked up to riding 20-30 miles at a time and wanting to go more.

Right now I am riding a Sun X2-AX which I bought at City Cyclist before they went away. I know from my reading that a lot of people don't like that model of bike, but it's been a good starter bike for me. The LWB really was forgiving for me to get used to the position. Plus, it wasn't so expensive that I couldn't afford some accessories. It's a good beginner bike, but now I wish I had something faster. Much faster. Much, much faster.

I've done some research, and I think I am leaning toward a Rans Stratus or a Lightning P-38. I like the LWB, but I would switch to an SWB if the speed difference was large enough. I just don't want to have my feet too high or my position too reclined because of ruptured and repaired discs in my lower back. I have test ridden some SWB's and putting my feet down caused a little pain, so that's why I am drawn to those more upright bikes. Now, I just need to convince the wife that I need a new bike.  

Well, I have rambled long enough. I hope to meet all of you sooner or later, and go on some rides with you all. It sounds like lots of fun.

See you all soon.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #226 - Jul 26th, 2012, 7:29pm

So, Oliver, where are you located?  

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #227 - Jul 26th, 2012, 7:31pm

Welcome Oliver, good to have you with us.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #228 - Jul 26th, 2012, 7:33pm

Sorry, just realized I forgot to say I was in Fort Worth. I am normally on the Trinity Trails during the weekdays.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #229 - Jul 26th, 2012, 7:51pm

Quote from Mizta_Nice on Jul 26th, 2012, 7:33pm:
Sorry, just realized I forgot to say I was in Fort Worth. I am normally on the Trinity Trails during the weekdays.

SmileyGlad to meet you Mizta_Nice. I have good news for you, several of us ride the Trinity Trails from the east and the westewrn direction. I'm on the mend for a few more weeks after stiring up an old shoulder injury I got while in the Coast Guard.  
Also, your first bent was a good one and you should have no trouble getting a fair resell price  for it.(that should pacify the wife somewhat)  If you prefer lwb rides check out among others, BentRider for sale forum
(http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
cu on the road. I live next to Hulen Mall close to Performance Cycling.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #230 - Jul 27th, 2012, 5:25am

Welcome Mizta.  I'm on the trail, most days after 4 PM riding out from downtown or points farther east (4th St) and usually go to Benbrook & back.  See you around hopefully. D J

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Bent_Vision

rbent member

Reply #231 - Aug 5th, 2012, 2:20pm

I've been lurking long enough so here goes; I am a bentaholic.  

After years of Mountain biking then trying out road biking or a while around the Corinth/Denton area, I was persuaded, thanks Phantom Rider to take a test ride on a used vision R40 that I'd had my eye on for a while at RBM. Apparently the grin on my face after the test ride said it all according to my wife as I was instantly hooked and made the purchase once the sales manager agreed to a reasonable price.  

The funny thing is that when I got it home my oldest son(22) after riding it for 5 minutes said I should go find another one because he wanted to buy that one from me. Luckily my wife instantly fell in love with it too after taking it for a spin and has starting riding it regularly.

So, with little options my quest began and in just a few short weeks after driving to Wichita Falls to pick up a very nice used Bacchetta Strata for myself, we are now a two bent family with the potential for a third, once I find a good deal on a SWB for my son.  

Looking forwarding to meeting you all soon at some local rides and get togethers.

Mike Russell - Lake Dallas
Email   IP Logged
revnron

"I R bent"

Reply #232 - Aug 20th, 2012, 12:20am

Hi, I'm Ron and I've been riding rbents for for about seven years for the same reason most of us have switched from "wedgie" bikes to "lazyboys on wheels." I've lived in lots of places around the metroplex and north Texas - in S. Fort Worth now. It's great to find a group of other bent riders.  I think we need eachother, or at least I do.  Upright riders don't understand why it takes me longer to top that hill but pass them on the way down the other side.  Somehow it never quite works out even, right?  
I appreciate Bud being a good example of a fine rbent rider on some "Rusty Chain Gang" rides I've been on around Crowley and Burleson, at least he seems to be best I can tell since he's always a good ways ahead of me if he's even in sight.  
Hope to get to know many of you as I am approaching retirement gradually and have more time to ride weekdays...retiring that is from preaching but not ministry, but don't hold that against me, OK?

'87 Infinity
Performance XPR Stiletto
Bacchetta Corsa
Riding 50+ years, I R bent but still going...
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #233 - Aug 20th, 2012, 7:14am

Welcome Ron.  I started out on an Infinity, probably an 86 model.  Just sold it this summer to a guy who's putting it in a streamliner in Ohio.  Welcome to the club!

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
LightningRider

P-38 in Blue

Reply #234 - Aug 29th, 2012, 7:58am

Hi, my name is Carl, I live in Mansfield, have had a P-38 since 1995 or so and I have not ridden in over two weeks.  

My last ride was 10 miles on August 11. The last ride of any consequence was the DFW Tour de Cure and I finished the 100Km in about 3:10 moving and 3:50 overall. (Had a bad case of hotfoot that I had to stop for about 3/4 through.)  

The P-38 is back in California now at LCD and it is getting a crack repaired and a refinish. I noticed tha crack while changing out the stock idler for the chain tensioner. Local repair and refinish would have been just a little less expensive but sending it "back home" means that people that know what they are looking at get a chance to inspect it for any other issues. I am also having another set of eyelets put on the rear dropouts so that I can run both fenders and a rack at the same time. (It is an older frame that only had one eyelet on the back.) I have riden this bike on a few brevets and feel the fenders may make things a little more comfortable in wet conditions.  

My other bikes include a Softride Power Wing, a DaVinci Tandem, an old Specialized hardtail MTB, and a classic road Falcon of 70's or late 60's vintage. Not enought time to ride them all though I wish I could.  Oh, and there is also my daughter's trailer that often gets hitched to one or the other.  

Looking forward to catching a ride with other benters, although, I may just show up on one of the other platforms.

Carl
Email   IP Logged
lupulo

rbent member

Reply #235 - Sep 20th, 2012, 8:07pm

Hi, everyone.  I'm Ron, and I'm a father of two grown daughters, and a grandfather of five.  I live with my wife of over 30 years in North Fort Worth, West of Keller.  

Professionally, I'm a Unix/Linux system administrator.  I currently (and hopefully for the foreseeable future) work for Southwest Airlines.  This is the first time in my professional career I've worked outside Tarrant County.   Smiley

I loved to ride bikes as a child, and in College (Commerce, TX) I rode my bike everywhere.  After moving to the Metroplex, I didn't feel there was any safe place to ride, so I stopped.  <time passes>  I hurt my back, three herniated disks.  I spent two months in bed while they worked on it.  After many steroids, and three steroid injections to the lower back, I could walk again without pain.  My doctor told me not to jog, run, jump rope, play basketball or racquetball, ride a bike, or anything the puts pressure or stress on the lower back.  

Two years ago, my brother-in-law showed me his new ride, a 2009 ICE Sprint with full suspension.  He let me ride it, and I was hooked.  I couldn't stop grinning for hours after my first ride.  Smiley  It took a year, hours of research on UtahTrikes.com, and BentRiderOnline.com, then last June I bought myself an HP Velotechnik Scorpion fs (tadpole trike).  I still grin every time I go out for a ride.  

Last summer I rode with my brother-in-law, we started on Bear Creek Trail, worked up to River Legacy, and finally graduated to Trinity Trails, and finished the season on the Cowtown Classic.  This summer, I've been riding mainly the Trinity Trails, and peaked about the end of July with 105 miles.  Saturday before last I did 85 miles.  Last Saturday I only did 30 miles.  I gave up and went home early because I had an unpatchable slow leak around the valve stem of my rear wheel.  I had to stop about every 5 miles and pump up the tire.  On one of the stops, I met a nice couple, also on tadpoles, who invited me to join this forum, and I'm glad I'm here.

Last fall my wife (who was jealous of all the fun I was having) bought an ICE Adventure.  So far she only rides the trails around the neighborhood.  I hope to get her out on longer trails soon.

HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS (2011)
  IP Logged
LightningRider

P-38 in Blue

Reply #236 - Sep 20th, 2012, 9:26pm

I am pretty new to be saying welcome to the group, but I am not the newest -- anymore.  Smiley
Welcome, it is great that you found an HPV that you can enjoy.  

I hope to meet you out on the trail sometime.

Carl
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #237 - Sep 20th, 2012, 9:36pm

welcome to the forum, its good to know there is someone else in my neck of the woods.  'im a two wheeler guy and ride west of keller often.  from fort worth to haslet, saginaw, keller, watagua over to southlake , grapevine,just making the circles.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #238 - Sep 21st, 2012, 7:30am

We keep getting more and more "West Side" 'benters!!!   DJ or Bud, you need to organize an RBENT-West get-together ride...   Welcome, new friends!

A lot of us are planning to ride in the "North Tx Bicycle Rally" in Roanoke on October 13th, and if I can find my canopy, we'll have a "tent" to gather at before and after to socialize...  Check out the "Upcoming Rides" section.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
suecoop-Linda

rbent member

Reply #239 - Nov 26th, 2012, 10:02am

Hi, I am Linda. I am returning to riding again, and am mountain biking on L.B. Houston and Horseshoe Trails on my Specialized mountain bike.  I love the trails, but by the time I finish, my wrists are killing me   cry.   I will invest in another bent in the spring to get back to the rides I enjoyed such as the Mesquite Rodeo and other rides.  My bucket list has completing the Hotter Than Hell Ride on it, and I want to do it this year.  A friend really is encouraging me to do the Shiner Ride  Smiley in the spring, so I really do have alot of road miles to put in before that ever happens!  My old bents were a Burley Koosah and a Lightning Thunderbolt (loved that bike).  I am still kicking my own rear for selling that bike!
Glad to be pedaling again...just getting started!
Linda

Specialize Mountain Bike
(killing my wrists!)

Lightning Thunderbolt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28
Send Topic Print