Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 11:28pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 198136 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #105 - Jun 9th, 2009, 7:19pm

Quote from UofHLesley on Jun 9th, 2009, 1:06pm:
Hello everyone,

My name is Lesley. I am 25 and will be graduating in the fall from the University of Houston with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology.

...I joined the RBENT forum to ask technical questions, get advice, find contacts, possibly find sponsors (we badly need help), and to find riding buddies for when I finally get a recumbent. So far I have met some very friendly and helpful people. Thank you Joe, Doug, and Andy for your help!

Lesley

Welcome, Lesley!  Not sure what we can do regarding sponsorship, or providing parts, etc.etc etc, but this is certainly a good place to pose questions and get inputs.  We have riders of all types of 'bents, who do all kinds of riding...   Post a photo of you and your design team!  (You'll need to upload the photo to a publicly viewable site like Photobucket.com, and put the link here)

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
UofHLesley

rbent member

Reply #106 - Jun 10th, 2009, 8:33am

Quote from larry on Jun 9th, 2009, 3:24pm:
Hi Leslie,
Welcome to the recumbent family! I am also a newbie, having purchased my first recumbent (entry-level, Sun EZ-1 SX) last Sept. as a commuter vehicle to go 5.5 miles to work each day. I am SO GLAD to have made the switch to recumbent cycling! comfortable and efficient. I have found this forum very helpful and patient with newbies asking questions. No question is too dumb--I've tried!   Grin

Hope your riding experience is pleasant.
larry

Grin I have already been asking many questions and have gotten very good replies, so it is apparent what you said about the forum being very helpful and patient. Thank you for the warm welcome, Larry.  

Lesley

Email   IP Logged
UofHLesley

rbent member

Reply #107 - Jun 10th, 2009, 8:39am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jun 9th, 2009, 7:19pm:

Welcome, Lesley!  Not sure what we can do regarding sponsorship, or providing parts, etc.etc etc, but this is certainly a good place to pose questions and get inputs.  We have riders of all types of 'bents, who do all kinds of riding...   Post a photo of you and your design team!  (You'll need to upload the photo to a publicly viewable site like Photobucket.com, and put the link here)

Paul

Ahh, so that's how you do the pic. I was trying to post one of me on a tandem bent at the East ASME HPVC this year, but I could not get it right. I will work on getting a photo up of us later this week. For now many pics can be seen on our website at www.teamrecumbent.com . I have already gotten many good replies from the forum since making posts yesterday, so I have quickly seen that this is a place to get good input like you said. Thank you for your welcome!

Lesley

Email   IP Logged
plcm111195

rbent member

Reply #108 - Jul 17th, 2009, 5:43am

Hi everyone! My name is Joanne.  I tore my rotator cuff recently so it's been painful to ride my road bike. So instead of continuing to be a slug until my surgery I decided to trade in my 2008 Bianchi Elena for a new Catrike Trail. I brought it home from RBM last night. I'm really excited to get going on it and am looking for tips on increasing visibility and good places to ride safely. Hoping to get to know you all better soon.  
Joanne

Joanne
2010 Candy Purple Expedition
DH: 2010 Red Expedition
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #109 - Jul 17th, 2009, 6:28am

Quote from plcm111195 on Jul 17th, 2009, 5:43am:
Hi everyone! My name is Joanne.  I tore my rotator cuff recently so it's been painful to ride my road bike. So instead of continuing to be a slug until my surgery I decided to trade in my 2008 Bianchi Elena for a new Catrike Trail. I brought it home from RBM last night. I'm really excited to get going on it and am looking for tips on increasing visibility and good places to ride safely. Hoping to get to know you all better soon.
Joanne

Welcome Joanne - wow, quite a change from a Bianchi to a trike.  There are many on this forum who have previously owned, or currently own a trike.  Use the "rbent lobby" or "technical" boards to post questions.  Also, if you can take a little time, read through old posts.  You'll pick up all kinds of good information.  

You'll find quite a few bent riders who've converted from DF bikes due to injuries.  The great thing is many of us have realized the benefits of this type of bike, and absolutely love them.  Through this forum, I've met quite a few people in the DFW area, which has given me the opportunity to learn about many different types of recumbents and trikes.  It's a whole new world, and we're here to help you!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
larry

rbent member

Reply #110 - Jul 17th, 2009, 8:24am

HI JOanne, sorry to hear about your rotator cuff. Ugh! May you heal quickly. I think you may find you like recumbent riding so much you won't return to uprights, even after you heal up. I bought an entry-level Sun EZ-1 SX as a commuter vehicle (5.5 miles to work) last October. Purchased at Bicycles, Inc in Arlington. Has worked like a dream. Performance has been terrific, I mainly have to watch out for 4 wheeled traffic at rush hour, which can be harrowing. This forum is patient with newbies. I have asked loads of dumb questions and always gotten a bunch of patient, ;informative replies. Use the lobby to post your Q. Happy riding and quick healing! Smiley

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #111 - Jul 17th, 2009, 8:27am

Hi everyone! My name is Joanne.  .... I decided to trade in my 2008 Bianchi Elena for a new Catrike Trail. I brought it home from RBM last night....

Welcome to the fold, Joanne!  You picked a nice trike for a first machine.  Here is a little additional information about the Catrike line, from a knowledgeable dealer up in NY:

http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/catrike/catrike.htm

As mentioned in that article, you may find that the twist shifters are a bit clumsy to use, as the twisting motion will affect your steering a bit --  (Catrikes are more sensitive to steering, being a direct link system.)  They can be replaced by "bar end" shifters by RBM, if you so desire.

Trikes are great fun, although not very "group ride" friendly when riding with a bunch of "standard" bikes, being so much lower -- you'll need to hang at the back.  You'll also feel the "bumps" of the White Rock Trail a bit more than you're perhaps used to, but it's all good, you'll be having too much fun to really care!

Again, welcome.

Paul

irodguy

rbent member

Reply #112 - Jul 17th, 2009, 9:30am

Joanne

Hi Joanie,

What part of town do you live?  If Dallas proper the white rock trail from Hillcrest to the lake is probably your best bet.  If you want a longer trip go around the lake on the trail proper, the street is a bit bumpy on a big cat.  

If your up north the Plano trail system is perfect for a trike.  I always like going past the dog park with the dogs coming up to say hello.  While on a bike you look like some kind of monster to them, on a trike dogs come up and frequently say hello.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
larry

rbent member

Reply #113 - Jul 21st, 2009, 9:55pm

Quote from Don on Sep 21st, 2008, 3:48pm:
Hi Guys, My name is Mike..........Kidding, its Don : )

Eventualy i saw a picture of a sun EZ1 bike and started calling different bike shops. I told them i needed something i could ride and explained my situation as best i could.  The bike shop owners all suggested i try one first but assured me that i could ride the bike and it would support my back with me leaned back so i could see in front of me. I slept and dreamed about riding and feeling fresh air on my face. I started doing the math as to what i could put together cash wise to get one of these bike and started making calls. Friday i ordered a used (1 year old) Sun EZ1 SX They said it would ship Monday.

Don,
You are amazing. I am a Sun EZ-1SX owner too, live in Arlington and commute to work every day (11 miles round trip). It is a GREAT entry level bike, especially for those of us who have to manage our incomes closely. I worked as a missionary Bible Translator 27 years in Indonesia and Asia, and just this past year took an assigment in our home office here in Arlington. This bike enables me to pass on buying a second car--lets my lovely wife take the motorized wheels while I tool to work happy as a lark most of the time. I have gone through my first winter here and am halfway through the summer. I think this commuting thing on the recumbent will work great.
God bless you Don.
Larry  

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2009, 10:49pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #114 - Jul 21st, 2009, 10:50pm

Quote from larry on Jul 21st, 2009, 9:55pm:

Don,
You are amazing. I am a Sun EZ-1SX owner too, live in Arlington and commute to work every day (11 miles round trip). It is a GREAT entry level bike, especially for those of us who have to manage our incomes closely. .....I think this commuting thing on the recumbent will work great.
God bless you Don.
Larry

Yep, my commmuting started out on the EZ-1, going about 5 miles one way -- works just fine!
Paul

GrandpaPhil_Bent

rbent member

Reply #115 - Jul 28th, 2009, 10:34pm

My name is Phil. Just this last Saturday I bought FlyingLaZBoy's old Sun EZ 1AX. I am new to recumbent riding, but already I love it. A big thankyou goes out to FlyingLaZBoy for his help. More than just sell me a bent, he took the time to teach me and demonstrate how to ride it.

Now a little about myself. I am 57 and have been married for 34 years. I have three grown children (out of the house - YIPEE!!) and 4 granddaughters and a grandson on the way.  Thus the handle GrandpaPhil_bent. I had heart By-Pass surgery in 2002 and a kidney transplant (from my wife) last year in August. I am currentlhy overweight and out of shape. But I would like to see that change!  

This past June my wife and I were up in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota where we hiked a little on the Mickelson trail (a rails to trails trail). It was spectacular country. It is 100 miles of valleys and hills and tressels and tunnels. Well, I was in no shape to ride that trail this year. But it is my intention to ride all 100 miles on my Sun EZ 1 AX next June. I've got almost eleven months to train for it.  

I'm just now getting in shape, but soon I'll be joining you on some rides.

GrandpaPhil_bent

Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #116 - Jul 28th, 2009, 11:02pm

Hi Phil, and welcome.  I'm sure you'll find recumbent riding an awesome experience, and, it is GREAT for losing weight and getting in shape.  Just keep after it!  Hope to see you soon.
Robert

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #117 - Jul 28th, 2009, 11:13pm

Great to see you, Phil!  You've joined quite a wacky, but fun group!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
larry

rbent member

Reply #118 - Jul 29th, 2009, 9:28am

Hey Phil! I am so glad we have another EZ-1 rider in the group!  Smiley The little wheels are great to navigate on the sidewalks during my rush hour commutes. congrats on your long stretch of marital bliss. Linda and I mark our 32nd year next month. We are empty nesters too, but our one married son hasn't yet graced us with grandkids. As you well know, we parents don't have a lot to say about such things. Happy riding!
Larry

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #119 - Jul 29th, 2009, 11:22am

Welcome to the gang, Phil...   enjoy the bike, and feel free to ask any "newbie" questions that come up.  Also look into the www.bentrideronline.com website, it's a busy discussion board for recumbent riders worldwide.

Paul

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28
Send Topic Print