Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 28th, 2024, 11:47am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 197866 times)
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #75 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 8:21pm

Hey Dan, welcome to the group. Are you going to ride the bent to Lufkin or drive it there? I have relitives in Lufkin and spent many years there on weekends while growing up. My uncle and several cousins retired from Lufkin Foundries. My family had a home near the lake before they passed away.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
bigride

rbent member

Reply #76 - Mar 31st, 2009, 5:34am

my name is lee and I live up in Ohio but, later this summer I will be riding for veteran issues. www.mybigride09.com from cleveland to dallas not a real big deal right? but, I'm also disabled and have some problems of my own, so that adds to the trip.  
I'm taking the UGRR south but its still undetermined where or when I will break off to head west to dallas?

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2009, 1:52pm by bigride »  

Lee Kelly
lee@mybigride09.com
www.mybigride09.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #77 - Mar 31st, 2009, 8:59am

Quote from bigride on Mar 31st, 2009, 5:34am:
my name is lee and I live up in Ohio but, later this summer I will be riding for veteran issues. www.mybigride09.com from cleveland to dallas not a real big deal right? but, I'm also disabled and have some problems of my own, so that adds to the trip.
I'm taking the UGRR south but its still undetermined where or whene I will break off to head west to dallas?

Welcome to the forum, Lee. Keep us updated on the details of your ride as the time for it gets closer. Some of us may want to do some miles with you. I know your destination better than I'd like to remember. I am a veteran myself, and have had everything from lung surgery to chemotherapy at that Dallas VA Medical Center.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
bigride

rbent member

Reply #78 - Mar 31st, 2009, 1:51pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Mar 31st, 2009, 8:59am:
[Welcome to the forum, Lee. Keep us updated on the details of your ride as the time for it gets closer. Some of us may want to do some miles with you. I know your destination better than I'd like to remember. I am a veteran myself, and have had everything from lung surgery to chemotherapy at that Dallas VA Medical Center.

well then I might have to look you up when it comes time to get in there

Lee Kelly
lee@mybigride09.com
www.mybigride09.com
Email WWW   IP Logged
scooterdaddy52

rbent member

Reply #79 - Apr 1st, 2009, 11:54am

Last week I bought Jman’s Mach2 recumbent bike. Yesterday, I took it out for the first time. The bike shifted great and once I made some intial adjustments to the seating position was very smooth and comfortable for me. I had moved from a recumbent , tadpole trike that was a blast to ride and no worries about balance. However, about 2 years ago I wrecked a Kickbike (a bigboy scooter that is quite fast) and completed dislocated my knee.  That kept me off everything for about a year. During that time I guess I read too much and became concerned about potential leg suck on a trike  plus, I really had no way to transport the trike to good places to ride so I sold it.  I spotted a Burley Canto on Craigslist bought it and rode it a bit but with the crank so high up I never felt safe with the balance so I sold it and thought I might be able to find a used Trike at a good price. I am not a patient person and knowing I need to find a way to exercise outside I picked up the Mach 2. I still have some balance issues but not in a scary way like I did with my feet up so high on the Burley. I did go down on the Mach 2 once already, making a too slow U-turn. Slightly abraded knee but no damage to the bike.  This time I am going to give it a real try.

IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #80 - Apr 1st, 2009, 2:01pm

So glad you are happy with the Mach2. Turning in tight spaces is a bit of a challenge cause of the long wheel base but you can't beat it for the straights Maybe we can catch you at a ride like the CrossTimbers ride out of the Texas Motor Speedway later in the season.
Happy Trails
Joe

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
irodguy

rbent member

Reply #81 - Apr 1st, 2009, 2:48pm

Quote from scooterdaddy52 on Apr 1st, 2009, 11:54am:
Last week I bought Jman’s Mach2 recumbent bike. Yesterday, I took it out for the first time. The bike shifted great and once I made some intial adjustments to the seating position was very smooth and comfortable for me. I had moved from a recumbent , tadpole trike that was a blast to ride and no worries about balance. However, about 2 years ago I wrecked a Kickbike (a bigboy scooter that is quite fast) and completed dislocated my knee.  That kept me off everything for about a year. During that time I guess I read too much and became concerned about potential leg suck on a trike  plus, I really had no way to transport the trike to good places to ride so I sold it.  I spotted a Burley Canto on Craigslist bought it and rode it a bit but with the crank so high up I never felt safe with the balance so I sold it and thought I might be able to find a used Trike at a good price. I am not a patient person and knowing I need to find a way to exercise outside I picked up the Mach 2. I still have some balance issues but not in a scary way like I did with my feet up so high on the Burley. I did go down on the Mach 2 once already, making a too slow U-turn. Slightly abraded knee but no damage to the bike.  This time I am going to give it a real try.

I understand just were you are coming from on the trike issue.  I love my trike and use it on my trainer all the time and some outdoors.  I really like my short wheel base but it can be scary at night if an emergency turn is necessary due to possible heal strike.  I am so used to LWB that turning it on a dime in an emergency is not an issue.  I just hope that I get that way on the new bike.

2008 Rans V-Rex
2009 Rans X-stream
2008 Bacchetta Strada
2008 Catrike Expedition Neon Lime Green
Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #82 - Apr 1st, 2009, 7:09pm

Lee,

I was stationed in Dhahran throughout Desert Storm and lost friends and coworkers in the Khobar towers bombing.  When you get into North Texas, I'll ride some with you as well if I can.  You might need a gang not to get bike-jacked in South Dallas.  I've been to that hospital a number of times myself.  I can't say I've had really good experiences.  I DEFINITELY lock everything in my truck when I go, but I will admit that you can't beat the price.  Maybe if you just ride up really quick, snap a couple photos and clear out, you'll still have tires on the bike.   Smiley  Okay, I'm exaggerating a little, but it would be a really good idea to have other riders with you.  I would definitely take Bud, and anyone else, up on his offer to accompany you on that part of your trip.  Good luck!

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #83 - Apr 1st, 2009, 8:42pm

Yes, that part of Dallas isn't exactly the class part of town, but I've never had a problem at the VA Hospital. I think some of the patients there are more scary than anyone in the surrounding neighborhoods...

Lee, you should start a separate thread about your ride.

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009, 8:47pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
larry

rbent member

Reply #84 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 5:34pm

Hey, my name is Larry, and I bought a Sun EZ-1 SX to use as a commuter vehicle when gas prices were near $4 a gallon last year. I don't care what the prices go to now, I'll never look back. I am 55 and livin' my dream to be riding such a cool bike to work each day. My commute is 5.5 miles one way. I have to use sidewalks more than I would  like, as most of the roads are 40mph speed limits and the rush hour traffic is bonkers. I will try to figure out how to put in a picture of me on the chariot either here or in the pix section....
 Grin

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #85 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:21pm

Good to see ya, Larry!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #86 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:25pm

Quote from larry on Apr 23rd, 2009, 5:34pm:
Hey, my name is Larry, and I bought a Sun EZ-1 SX to use as a commuter vehicle when gas prices were near $4 a gallon last year. I don't care what the prices go to now, I'll never look back. I am 55 and livin' my dream to be riding such a cool bike to work each day. My commute is 5.5 miles one way. I have to use sidewalks more than I would  like, as most of the roads are 40mph speed limits and the rush hour traffic is bonkers. I will try to figure out how to put in a picture of me on the chariot either here or in the pix section....
Grin

SmileyWelcome aboard Larry. Hope we can join up for some rides sometime. What part of town do you live in, we have bent riders everywhere in the Metroplex. I live near hwy 360 and 183 as does the BikeDoc, a bunch live in and around Richardson and Plano area.
To post a jpg, it needs to be posted somewhere on the net to establish a link to it. Photobucket is very popular with a lot of us. Once you have the photos there use the little picture icon at the top of the message you are typing, it will look something like this,  
bracket-img]http://you.addtherest.com/image/your.jpg[/img-bracket
Photo has done most of this for you, it has a variety of codes for your photo on the right hand side of the jpg, select the one with the [img][/img]around the link
Hope that helps, see you down the trail, Joe

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #87 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:37pm

Welcome to the forum, Larry!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #88 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:56pm

{scene: Cheers bar, bar is wall to wall patrons} Larry!{end scene}

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
tohopko

Recumbent Addict

Reply #89 - May 22nd, 2009, 10:57pm

Hey Folks!  I'm Jim and my better half is Elizabeth, new on the board as "PinkTink".  We're down in the La Vernia area outside San Antonio.  We've just made the transition to recumbents in the past couple of years.  I was just really getting back into the DF and MTB riding when a shoulder separation--and the desire to go easier on my posterior region got me looking into recumbents.  We each have Catrikes now, along with an older Corsa and a Burley Jett Creek.  We aren't racers, but I do enjoy the speed.  At 44, I think I'm a little late to get into racing, but you never know.  I'm the stronger rider, but Tink usually equalizes things by making me pull our friends 4 year old in a Burley trailer.  I'm 4 months into a year long deployment to Afghanistan at the moment, so she may catch me on the conditioning!  This is a fantastic job--working to rebuild the Afghan National Army Air Corps, but there isn't much riding to be done!  Hope to meet all of you in the future!

Catrike Road
CroMoly Corsa
Stratus XP
Lusting for many more!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28
Send Topic Print