Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 4:51am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Introduce yourself! (Read 197916 times)
yetibike

rbent member

Re: Introduce yourself!
Reply #120 - Jul 30th, 2009, 9:21pm

Hi everyone. My name is Tom and I am recovering from back surgery. I joined to get advice on racing oppertunitys and on bike selection. I come from six years of mtn bike racing with most of my training hours being on the road. My doctor told me about recumbents and how much better they are on the back. I have been told it might not be wise to race offroad again and the tuck position on the road races is not good either so here I am. If I ever get cleared for off road I might try again but plan to do my training on recumbents permanently and race them in the limited oppertunities that exist.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #121 - Jul 30th, 2009, 10:08pm

Hi Tom!  Welcome aboard.  Several people here participate in races, primarily ultra events, so we look forward to seeing you on the road soon.

Having switched back and forth from recumbent to upright for different events over the last few years, I can tell you that having optimum power and speed on both is difficult.  It always takes me a surprisingly long time after changing platforms to get to maximum wattage for minimum effort, despite my base fitness being basically the same.  This year I just gave up, and I am pretty much all recumbent, more fun, and it is what I prefer for the long stuff.  My most recent experience has been trying to do some track racing, and also prepare for randonneuring.  I have basically bagged the track racing.  I can see some DF bikes going on the market before too long!  Wink

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #122 - Jul 30th, 2009, 10:56pm

Quote from Kwijybow on Jul 30th, 2009, 10:08pm:
 It always takes me a surprisingly long time after changing platforms to get to maximum wattage for minimum effort...

Yeah, Nelson's all about "Minimum Effort".....   NOT!!!!!!!!   Smiley Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
yetibike

rbent member

Reply #123 - Jul 31st, 2009, 5:00pm

That is interesting on not develpoing power good for both bent and df. I may doing bent only but I wont kid you if my back will allow me I will definatly race dirt again. So my bent training for dirt fitness may be bunk. If I did all of my base on bent and tempo and intensity work on df does anyone know if that plan may be viable? Also had a friend tell me recumbent is harder on knees due to pushing more off glutes. Any truth to that? Sorry if I ignite alot of debate. I may need to move this subject over to general discussion.

Email   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #124 - Jul 31st, 2009, 6:07pm

Well a lot depends on the bent, as there is a fair amount of variation.  My Corsa/Strada pedal stroke is definitely different than my upright pedal stroke.
I don't find one harder than the other knee wise, although I suppose with closed seating position one could put a lot of force into the pedals if you tried.  The more open seat recline of my Bacchetta's don't seem to promote this.  I believe Greg has had bents with more closed seating, maybe he can comment on that.    Also the different power thing is more of a final few % thing, there is still a lot of transfer between the two.  

Take Care,
Nelson.

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2009, 7:00pm by Kwijybow »  

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #125 - Jul 31st, 2009, 8:38pm

Quote from yetibike on Jul 30th, 2009, 9:21pm:
Hi everyone. My name is Tom and I am recovering from back surgery. I joined to get advice on racing oppertunitys and on bike selection. I come from six years of mtn bike racing with most of my training hours being on the road. My doctor told me about recumbents and how much better they are on the back. I have been told it might not be wise to race offroad again and the tuck position on the road races is not good either so here I am. If I ever get cleared for off road I might try again but plan to do my training on recumbents permanently and race them in the limited oppertunities that exist.

Yes, quick recovery & we look forward to seeing you on the road sometime. Last check, I've had 4 separate back surgeries(I quit counting for obvious reasons). I used to be 6'1",now, I'm 6'0"(or less). Maybe it's just life that's  beating me down?!

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #126 - Jul 31st, 2009, 9:27pm

I used to be almost 6 foot, now I am 5' 9" maybe because of a crushed T-12.  Or maybe just getting old?

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #127 - Jul 31st, 2009, 10:10pm

Well I'm an inch shorter too, but I've got no good excuse like back surgery!

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #128 - Jul 31st, 2009, 11:36pm

Used to be 5' 10" but now I'm 5' 7 1/2". Besides the usual "settling" of old age I lost a bit out of one leg in a disagreement with the driver of a pickup truck.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Hull 697

rbent member

Reply #129 - Aug 1st, 2009, 8:50am

Quote from plcm111195 on Jul 17th, 2009, 5:43am:
Hi everyone! My name is Joanne.   I'm really excited to get going on it and am looking for tips on increasing visibility and good places to ride safely. Hoping to get to know you all better soon.
Joanne

Ouch!  Sorry to hear that about anybody!

I often ride alone so added a flag for increased visibility.  Personally, I figure it's about being SEEN and those standard orange flags are too small and not bright enough.  They also have no "Flash".  I use a Sound Winds fanion and now that I have seen their banners have one on order.  When I started flying the Fanion had a couple folks on my training ride slow down and say, "I can REALLY see you now."  So they saw me with the yellow seat bag, but the flag shows up better.  Also provides extra drag which for training purposes is a good thing.

http://poweroncycling.com/itemdetails.cfm?id=720
Has a good selection.

In-Line Wheelchair Rider

Charlie
  IP Logged
plcm111195

rbent member

Reply #130 - Aug 1st, 2009, 12:21pm

Quote from Hull 697 on Aug 1st, 2009, 8:50am:

Thanks so much for the tip! I love the banner. Off to shop!

Joanne
2010 Candy Purple Expedition
DH: 2010 Red Expedition
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #131 - Aug 1st, 2009, 1:03pm

.... but the flag shows up better.  Also provides extra drag which for training purposes is a good thing.

Almost moreso than having a kickstand!!!   Smiley

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #132 - Aug 1st, 2009, 1:04pm

Quote from plcm111195 on Aug 1st, 2009, 12:21pm:

Thanks so much for the tip! I love the banner. Off to shop!

Joanne, how has the riding been on the trike?  Tell us some tales!!!!
Paul

plcm111195

rbent member

Reply #133 - Aug 1st, 2009, 1:46pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 1st, 2009, 1:04pm:
Joanne, how has the riding been on the trike?  Tell us some tales!!!!
Paul

I'm loving it! It's great on my shoulder. The road vibration can bother it a bit but nothing like leaning on it was on the DF.  
I haven't had too many problems with visibility yet as people really seem to see it since it's so different. I get a lot of thumbs up, "Awesome bike" and "That looks like fun."
I did have one guy ask if I had room for a hitchhiker. Today we got back from 20 miles around Plano and Allen just in time before the sky opened up. I still feel slow (we only averaged 13.5) but I did have my highest max ever at 31.5 coming down a hill. What a blast! I'm hoping I'll improve the average speed with some practice. I hope to be able to keep up with you all some day.

Joanne
2010 Candy Purple Expedition
DH: 2010 Red Expedition
  IP Logged
barlows

Wanna-be

Reply #134 - Aug 7th, 2009, 2:58am

I guess it's high time I introduced myself.  I'm Steve Barlow, and I ride with the LSR group.  I've been wanting a recumbent for a little over a year now, and it looks like I'll finally be getting one this weekend.  I'm getting Greg's Corsa from him.  I'll be out at the LSR Pop to give it the first official ride.  I promised a new LSR prospect that I'd hang back with him, so I won't really be able to give 'er hell.  But I'm looking forward to it just the same.

So get ready guys, I'll be asking all kinds of stupid questions about bags and headrests and light mounts and Q rings.  Oh yeah, and magnets for water bladders.  And probably coroplast discs.  Anything I missed there?  Smiley

Later,
Steve

Email stevejbarlow   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 28
Send Topic Print