Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 10:42am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Magic Lap Club - Newest Member (Read 8127 times)
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

The Magic Lap Club - Newest Member
May 10th, 2018, 11:36pm

Perhaps it was named the Magic Lap because when you’ve done it, it’s a bit of a surprise, but sure enough, there it was.  I am always pushing a little bit with every ride, anyway and when I came to the end of the second lap, I pulled up the stats, and there it was:

Time: 29:52
Av. Speed: 20.05
Max. Speed: 30.68
Weapon: Performer 26” Highracer  

Shortly after the day’s riding was over, a guy comes riding by, “How was the ride?”  “I got a new record lap!”  Him: “Time for a beer!”  The “ding, ding, ding!” Was so loud you could hear it across the lake.  The Shiner Bock went down just perfectly, too!  

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2018, 10:07pm by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re: The Magic Lap - Newest Member
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2018, 6:41pm

Excellent ride, Key!  And you didn't even need a velo to do it!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2018, 4:08pm

Quote from rmillay on May 11th, 2018, 6:41pm:
Excellent ride, Key!  And you didn't even need a velo to do it!
Thanks.  Hey, Bob, who are the other open-frame bents who’ve gotten the job done?  I imagine Mark Leuck has, but anyone else?  Mr. Square Corners?

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2018, 4:33pm

Not Daniel, that I know of.  He has the speed, but not the inclination.  I would say Paul B., but I think all his laps were shortened when he went for speed.  Don't know who else.  I couldn't have done it with a tailwind the whole way around!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2018, 10:05pm

Looks like it’s getting to be a habit at WRL:
Summary of today’s two laps:

Lap 1:  
Time  29:53.83
Avg.  21.05 mph
Max.  32.33 mph

Lap 2:
Time   30:23.53
Avg.  20.94 mph
Max.  29.93 mph
Vehicle:  Performer 26” Highracer
(Yeah, not a magic lap, but these look like the kind of laps I’ll be doing as weight drops and fitness increases.)  (yay)
Running into Mark Leuck along the way during the “parade lap” didn’t hurt the average, either.  

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2018, 10:08pm by Action Lad »  

IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Re: The Magic Lap Club - Newest Member
Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2018, 4:27pm

That bike is turning out pretty speedy for you Lad!

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
mleuck
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2018, 8:08pm

Quote from Action Lad on May 10th, 2018, 11:36pm:
Perhaps it was named the Magic Lap because when you’ve done it, it’s a bit of a surprise, but sure enough, there it was.  I am always pushing a little bit with every ride, anyway and when I came to the end of the second lap, I pulled up the stats, and there it was:

Shortly after the day’s riding was over, a guy comes riding by, “How was the ride?”  “I got a new record lap!”  Him: “Time for a beer!”  The “ding, ding, ding!” Was so loud you could hear it across the lake.  The Shiner Bock went down just perfectly, too!  

Addictive isn't it?

IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2018, 1:33pm

Need to bring that bike and speed to Northbrook, IL races in July.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2018, 12:45pm

Quote from mleuck on Jun 19th, 2018, 8:08pm:
Quote from Action Lad on May 10th, 2018, 11:36pm:

Addictive isn't it?
The beer, or the lap?   Smiley
Anyway, after a parade lap with the Clowns to start things off, yesterday, I went ahead and took a bonus lap, continuing to shake down the Performer Highracer.  It was to be a brisk lap, but was not going all out for any kind of Magic.  If I had shaved 37 seconds, it would have been my third Magic Lap.  The Performer is a time machine. Can’t wait to see how the Musashi performs with a tiller.  

« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2018, 12:49pm by Action Lad »  

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2018, 7:40pm

I'm sure besting 30 minutes could have been done on the Ghost Xstream, but I never timed the full 10+ miles...  Cheesy

Now, doing it on the SprintX is also possible, but harder -- but we'll have to see when a good time would be to try it -- too much pedestrian traffic makes it impossible.

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2018, 9:19pm

Patience, star cruiser pilot!  The days will soon be getting cooler, and darkness setting in early, sending the pedestrians home.  Trikes were made for the night, as you don't have to worry one whit about sand on the corners, wetness, or anything that could bring down a bike unawares at night.  You can go like blazes!  I will be cheering you on for that Magic Lap in a trike.  My specialty is sprinting in a trike, so I'll never see that speed over the course of a WRL lap until the aforementioned blazes freeze over.  

Go for it!   Smiley  I'm almost tempted to be a rabbit for you, unless that would be cheating.   Smiley  

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2018, 8:27am

My only comparison run on the trike would be the Dallas Senior Games back in March, when I did the 5K and 10K both at almost 22mph average...  with minimal hills, no turns, and no pedestrians.

Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 12th, 2018, 7:42pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 12th, 2018, 8:27am:
My only comparison run on the trike would be the Dallas Senior Games back in March, when I did the 5K and 10K both at almost 22mph average...  with minimal hills, no turns, and no pedestrians.
22 mph avg. on a trike.  That's smokin'.  Unfortunately, the Magic Lap is unsanctioned.  You could get the Clowns to stand at different parts of the lake to ward off the pedestrian silliness and stop traffic, but people just laugh at clowns.  🤡  You'll have all three hazards in place to varying degrees depending on the time of year and the time of day.  Choose the right day, and it's definitely doable.   Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2018, 7:43pm by Action Lad »  

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:24pm

So, feeling my oats, I decided to try the Magic Lap tonight, after parking at the south end and making my way up north.  There was minimal wind, and not many people going CCW, although it was 95 degrees or so. My goal was actually to beat 33 minutes - 10% off "magic lap" pace. I decided to start on West Lawther by the bike shop, to avoid cross traffic at Mockingbird.  Mark L rode up to me as I was about to start, to say hi, then I was off.

I was moving at 21-22 most of the time on West Lawther, and didn't encounter any slow cars or any issues -- although I lost speed climbing TP Hill, and making my way onto the rail path -- and made it to the Spillway bridge in 12 minutes -- which was encouraging, but I knew the hardest part was still ahead. Climbing the Spillway dropped me to 12mph, and I had already noticed the speed scruboff during hard turns, so it was going to be close.

Let's just say that nobody passed me during the entire lap -- However, the climb at the Bathhouse also dropped my speed, and I tried to recover as well as I could after that and around the north end -- but I saw the 30 minute mark pass by on my computer while I was just getting to the north end.  I lost a lot of speed turning onto the path, of course, and finished at just over 32 minutes, averaging ~19.6 -- under my goal, but not officially "Magic".

Which brings up the question -- would there a different criteria for "Magic Lap" for a trike, given the 15% or so reduction in speed from a 2-wheeler (at least that I've experienced)?  Hey, whatever...  it was fun giving it a shot, but I don't see myself getting 10% faster anytime soon!

Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:33pm

You're certainly the fastest open frame trike thus far, as far as I know.  Smiley  

I think my fastest lap on the 700 is about 36 minutes, giving it all I had.   Smiley
Perhaps when the temps are cooler I'll give it another go.

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:34pm by Action Lad »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print