Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 10:49am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214938 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #450 - Jun 1st, 2014, 8:36pm

Yes I'm definitely coming down and will have at least a few opportunities to ride with you. And hopefully Travis too.  As awesome as all that sounds, I'm not going to be able to accomplish those feats of strength.  My knees won't let me torque off the line like that and I'm not practiced at drafting with the m5.  I am bringing it though, so we'll see what I can do.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #451 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 10:47am

Jim said you were talking with him about riding in Lakeland. Far fewer stops and less traffic but is a tiny bit hillier inland (not counting the bridges here) so speeds tend to be a little higher. Don't worry too much about the launches. I have to tone my launches way down in order to let the guys hang on (I still haven't run across anyone who can launch as fast and I'm slowing down).

Judy's been practicing doing the bridge loop on the Wed morning (social) breakfast ride lately and is getting a lot better at them. You need to try the bridges on. They are easy as compared to the hills near Helotes but the best we can ride around here.

We also need to run down to Ft Desoto (google ran out of route tags so I couldn't finish the route but it's close enough).

If you are here on Sunday, we can do the social ride down the beach and back. That's a controlled 20-22mph ride except for the last 4 or so miles up the beach, then we go eat breakfast. I usually pull the few remaining fast guys at about 30mpg avg on the fast stretch but the group gets pretty spread out so just jump on with a slower group if you can't hang on. If the John's Pass bridge isn't up, you can try to hang on when climbing that one. I crested it at 32mph yesterday, which is a lot faster than I've seen anyone else do it. :^)

We could also ride out to Lakeland and back to go ride with Jim if you want to make a day of it. It's about 60 miles to Lakeland. Get to ride through downtown Tampa twice that way!

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #452 - Jun 2nd, 2014, 9:36pm

It all sounds great to me.  I just want to ride and get stronger and not be humiliated.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #453 - Jun 3rd, 2014, 12:45pm

Humiliation is an attitude. There is always someone faster so just ride as good as you can. There are two rules for our fast (uncontrolled) rides: 1) Ride safely 2) Don't cry when you get dropped. I add two more: 3) Have fun 4) Sprint the bridges.

Every ride isn't a fast ride! I can be bribed to ride more slowly...

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
testersbc

rbent member

Reply #454 - Jun 6th, 2014, 12:21pm

looks pretty cool..good to see you are still alive

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #455 - Jun 7th, 2014, 6:02pm

Hung the trike in the garage today.   pretty sweet idea, just lowers down into the bed of the vehicle when its time to travel.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2014, 6:59am by Phantom Rider »  

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #456 - Jun 7th, 2014, 7:15pm

I decided I wasn't going through another summer doing open-face baking in the sun while riding.  I sent out a beacon to Texpug for the best covering she knows.  I said DeSoto cooling sleeves...do it NOW!
Okay, so today was the first ride.  I put on the white sleeves and leg covers, still skeptical.  Then, in my warm garage, I blew my warm breath across the back of my bare hand, then across my sleeved forearm.  I had to just laugh.  Warm across my hand, noticeably cooler across my forearm.  Now I'm a believer.  You will probably not see me without my coolers.  Strange to look at, ruins the image, but my skin won't look like leather in a few years.  
In other news, Dallas is moving to make helmets optional, especially because of the new bike sharing program coming.  You may see me with my purple and yellow do rag all summer.  Perhaps later with a white skull cap.   Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #457 - Jun 7th, 2014, 9:22pm

ADD WATER AND YOU WILL BE SUPRISED!!!  Smiley

IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #458 - Jun 7th, 2014, 9:24pm

Quote from Action Lad on Jun 7th, 2014, 7:15pm:
 You may see me with my purple and yellow do rag all summer.  Perhaps later with a white skull cap.   Smiley

First saying not to use a flag now no helmet!?  You are she to be banned!

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #459 - Jun 8th, 2014, 8:33pm

Quote from JimFPU on Jun 7th, 2014, 9:24pm:
Quote from Action Lad on Jun 7th, 2014, 7:15pm:
 You may see me with my purple and yellow do rag all summer.  Perhaps later with a white skull cap.   Smiley

You are she to be banned!

Huh?  Smiley

IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #460 - Jun 8th, 2014, 8:36pm

Lol...typo.  Sure to be banned.

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #461 - Jun 9th, 2014, 8:45pm

You can't band him if you can't catch him!   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #462 - Jun 11th, 2014, 8:18pm

I ended up buying a brand new, made of unobtanium and even gold plated SRAM X-7 9 speed rear derailleur..  At least it should be gold plated and made of unobtanium for what I paid for it but at least they had it in stock..

Oh and sometime next week or so I will also be essentially buying a new rear wheel after getting it rebuilt up at Pat & Charlies in Sherman, (they build bomb proof stuff, just not idiot proof).

Seems my bike had fallen onto the drive side today while I was getting ready to head home from work.  I caught the bent handlebar, (a 30 some odd degree bend was kind of hard to miss)..  Bent it back and gave the bike a quick visual check and everything seemed ok.  Or so I thought...

Coming up to a stop sign I geared down and the chain promptly took up residence between the cassette and the spokes, then it engaged in a tug of war with my rear derailleur, (the derailleur lost).  And in the process of locking up my rear wheel caused a nice long skid and pretty much killed a Conti Gatorskin..   Smiley Smiley  

The one shiny spot was that I think I managed to salvage the chain..  joy.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #463 - Jun 11th, 2014, 8:55pm

Quote from dd5339 on Jun 11th, 2014, 8:18pm:
I ended up buying a brand new, made of unobtanium and even gold plated SRAM X-7 9 speed rear derailleur..  At least it should be gold plated and made of unobtanium for what I paid for it but at least they had it in stock..

Oh and sometime next week or so I will also be essentially buying a new rear wheel after getting it rebuilt up at Pat & Charlies in Sherman, (they build bomb proof stuff, just not idiot proof).

Seems my bike had fallen onto the drive side today while I was getting ready to head home from work.  I caught the bent handlebar, (a 30 some odd degree bend was kind of hard to miss)..  Bent it back and gave the bike a quick visual check and everything seemed ok.  Or so I thought...

Coming up to a stop sign I geared down and the chain promptly took up residence between the cassette and the spokes, then it engaged in a tug of war with my rear derailleur, (the derailleur lost).  And in the process of locking up my rear wheel caused a nice long skid and pretty much killed a Conti Gatorskin..   Smiley Smiley  

The one shiny spot was that I think I managed to salvage the chain..  joy.

Semper Fi

It's like an illness striking folks' derailleurs, this chain falling into the spokes thing.  Jay's been stricken, you on your commute, and me as well, running late for the train, as I was rounding a corner in first gear.  Especially bad with a trike's lateral forces pushing the spokes into the derailleur on a fast right-hand turn...and Sampson can't pull that chain out if it's bad enough.  
Sorry for the sacrifice of the tire.   cry

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #464 - Jun 11th, 2014, 9:02pm

Be careful with that bar, they are often weakened structurally after a spill like that.

I bought a giro air attack shield and tried it out yesterday for the first time.  I was amazed at how much cooler than normal helmets it is.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45
Send Topic Print