Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 11:22am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214939 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #420 - May 23rd, 2014, 4:15pm

Received the Vuelta Corsa SLR wheelset I ordered from Nashbar, and installed it on my Carbent this afternoon. Advertised weight is 1476 grams. On my scale it weighed 1474 grams. The 2009 Velocity Spartacus Uriel wheelset these wheels replaced weighs 1758 grams. That's a 284 gram (10 oz) weight savings. The SLR set doesn't appear suitable for Clydesdale riders, because of its lightweight components. The previous set I purchased has maintained its trueness at my current weight of 144 pounds. As stated in a different thread, I like the slight performance improvement this set provides.  

Carbent with new SLR wheelset. Ready to roll on tomorrow's Plano East Side ride. Very understated graphics, compared to the older SLR set shown in the below photo.

Older SLR wheelset on Silvio. Note bold red and white graphics.

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2014, 4:30pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #421 - May 23rd, 2014, 7:56pm

This was on my front porch when I got home from work today.

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2014, 9:58pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #422 - May 24th, 2014, 12:15pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on May 23rd, 2014, 7:56pm:
This was on my front porch when I got home from work today.

Wow, Bud, you're going to beat everyone to the best Bass hole on the lake with that seat in the boat!

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2014, 12:17pm by Denman »  
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #423 - May 24th, 2014, 4:17pm

Don't call my friend a bass hole!!  Smiley

Funny, you're going to end up trying the darn thing before I get to.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #424 - May 24th, 2014, 5:29pm

It's hard to take a photo of anything in my garage without including a bike, boat, or kayak...

It's going to take me a while to get my seat mounted too, Greg. I need to get a headrest, figure out mounting, and buy the hardware to do it. I'll do a post on it when I get it installed.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2014, 7:00pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #425 - May 24th, 2014, 5:56pm

I'm working on making a mold to fabricate ABS headrest plates. If anyone has an old, unused Profile aerobar, Bud and Greg sure could use the forearm rest plates (and foam pads) to made their headrests. I ran out of all that I could locate and Profile refuses to respond to me regarding buying a batch of the plates (they don't offer the plates by themselves). It will still likely be a few weeks at least before I can make the plates.

The headrest frame is made from 1/2" CPVC (flex hot water tubing). To finish the headrest, one can determine the length and angle needed from the top of the h.r. frame to where the headrest plate needs to be and cut a piece of cpvc (or whatever) and cut a 4mm bolt to the matching length to affix it. Or if one can locate a Profile aerobar, the aluminum clamps from it can be used and just clamp the thing onto the top of the frame.

Spherical Cows, Dude! Ranch Racing
RailGun performance seats
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #426 - May 24th, 2014, 6:53pm

I've purchased a Profile aero bar on ebay. Hopefully, it's the right one, and will work as my headrest.

I'm still debating how to attach the sprint braces. Has anyone tried just using an expanding rubber nut in the end of the sprint brace tube?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #427 - May 24th, 2014, 7:44pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on May 24th, 2014, 6:53pm:
I've purchased a Profile aero bar on ebay. Hopefully, it's the right one, and will work as my headrest.
Moving quickly! :^)  If the forearm support plates are plastic, it should be fine. Hope they aren't the metal ones. Look at the photos of the headrests at http://synthetictransport.com/railgun/ .  

The paint on the h.r. frame tends to make it stick in the support tubes so you might need a little bit of effort to extract the frame from the seat the first few times. You can cut the ends of the h.r. frame tubes to fit where you want, though there is normally enough stiction from the paint to hold the position you want.

I've been meaning to do a page on making headrests but haven't done it yet. You can use a hair dryer or heat gun to (carefully) bend the CPVC tubes if you want to curve them upward (as in one of the photos), as opposed to using a long post as in one of the others. You can grind the end of the CPVC post to get it to fit the shape of the crosspiece on the frame to make it more solid. Or you can get some CPVS fittings and a short length of CPVC tubing and make whatever shape you want. I have customers doing combinations of the above.

For a pretty cushy headrest you can go down to Target or such and pick up  a 2-pack of those microfiber pocket wax applicator pads in the auto section and slip one over the top of the headrest.

Quote:
I'm still debating how to attach the sprint braces. Has anyone tried just using an expanding rubber nut in the end of the sprint brace tube?
Are you talking about the seat stays? If so, it should just mount like a std carbon seat, though I prefer to use industrial Velcro between the seat and the tube mounts instead of the std rubber spacers.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2014, 7:48pm by goatstick »  

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #428 - May 25th, 2014, 8:38am

Quote from goatstick on May 24th, 2014, 7:44pm:
Are you talking about the seat stays? If so, it should just mount like a std carbon seat, though I prefer to use industrial Velcro between the seat and the tube mounts instead of the std rubber spacers.

I don't have any kind of tube mounts. The F5 came without a seat, and the tube mounts are built onto the Euromesh I'm running right now.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #429 - May 25th, 2014, 10:17am

Hmmm. Where have the RANS folk been getting their upper seat stay mounts for carbon seats? I couldn't find any info on the RANS site. Are they using Bacchetta mounts there? The ones I put RailGun seats on looked like the Bacchetta mounts.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2014, 10:19am by goatstick »  

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #430 - May 25th, 2014, 1:43pm

I suppose the Bacchetta carbon seat mount kit would work. $70 for that little bit of hardware seems like highway robbery, though.  

I guess I could use the seat bracket I already have. It's almost too wide for where I would mount it on the RailGun seat, and has 4 mounting holes, but if I just used the two inside bolt holes on it, that would be about the same as the seat bracket part of the above kit. Then, I could just make the sprint brace tube brackets out of some C-channel.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2014, 1:48pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #431 - May 25th, 2014, 2:49pm

You don't want the whole B carbon seat mount kit. The front mounts you have should work but the front B mounts won't with the way I built the rib. The RANS mount you have works better and should be stronger in this situation anyway.  Just need the two top seat stay brackets (and bolts separately). My daughter just bought a pair of those brackets from Jacquie for her husband's seat a couple of weeks ago.

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #432 - May 25th, 2014, 7:56pm

Yes, I had already decided to use my RANS mount for the lower seat. I'm going to just fabricate the stay tube brackets.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
goatstick

Team SCDRR

Reply #433 - May 26th, 2014, 2:24pm

Ok. Make sure there is a metal plate the tubes attach to on the underside of the seat and it needs to be mounted in the area near where the tailbox attachment flange starts.

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #434 - May 26th, 2014, 7:11pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on May 24th, 2014, 6:53pm:

Are these the pads you guys need for your headrest?

http://planocycling.com/product/profile-design-f-19-replacement-pads-182107-1.ht m

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 45
Send Topic Print