Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 9:57am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214932 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #60 - Feb 1st, 2012, 7:23pm

Quote from TonyWard on Feb 1st, 2012, 6:26pm:
2002 Steel Corsa with all my normal riding gear minus water:  36.8 lbs
Actionbent LowRacer with all my normal riding gear minus water:  32.4 lbs

Your low racer is 1.4 lbs lighter than my Baron low racer. Next time we ride together, be sure to bring your Corsa.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #61 - Feb 3rd, 2012, 9:05am

Quote from kenbent6 on Feb 1st, 2012, 7:18pm:
OKOKOKOK!!! You all should be happy, I have never weighted my bike cause I knew it was heavy but I did! With all my tools, spare tubes, rack, fenders,faring, pump, computer,big wheels and tires, water bottles with water, camera,sun screen, head light, tail lights 2 bags and comb the Gold Rush was at 50 pounds!!!! I hope you all are happy!!! Go Clowns!!!  Smiley  See me tomorrow!!

Well, you know what the problem is, don't you?  It's that industrial size bottle of sun screen...   Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #62 - Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:10am

Dave got in a batch of cable housing and Jagwire cables.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #63 - Feb 4th, 2012, 6:38pm

Yet another new back light.  Its about the 4th in 800 miles.  I had the lights mounted on 10" tall stand mounted on the rack but they kept breaking the plastic mounting thing on the light.  OK so this time I removed the stand and mounted it directly on the rack.

Also ordered a pair of Schwalbe Tryker tires.  According to folks on BROL they're supposed to be radials, and slightly faster then the Marathon Racers that came on my Expedition.  I suppose I'll find out, and after a hundred miles or so I'll post my impressions.

Hopefully we'll be putting in the order for my wife's Expedition over the next two weeks, I'll give a shout when that happens.

Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #64 - Feb 5th, 2012, 10:01pm

I got a new cell to replace the one that went into reversal during the burn test (this is why you do burn tests, to find cells that give up their energy too fast and go into reversal). Now I have to break the pack and then put it back together and mount it on the new tail light and bolt that back to the back of the bike. Smiley Breaking a pack is 3 times harder than making the pack in the first place...

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
jdviz

Mushashi Rider &
Sloshbuckler

Reply #65 - Feb 9th, 2012, 10:03am

Two new purchases this week. First, I've upgraded my heart rate monitor to the RCX5. Look for a review from me in a week or so.

Second, after I got 3 flats in a row on the Santa Fe Trail last Saturday, I finally broke down and bought an up-armored version.

JD-
Musashi Rider
www.sloshbucklers.com
WWW   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #66 - Feb 17th, 2012, 8:17pm

Talk to me about  "an up-armored version" as I have had more flats since I bought my Musashi than I have ever had in my whole life????

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jdviz

Mushashi Rider &
Sloshbuckler

Reply #67 - Feb 18th, 2012, 12:21am

Buy a Gatorskin, but get the 25mm wide version. It gives a little better ride overall. Who knew 2mm would make a noticeable difference, but it does! Gatorskins are laced with carbon fiber and are puncture resistant. Not proof, but resistant. They have a foldable version for $60+, or a wire bead version for $40 (which is the one I bought).

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/race/ racetyres/gatorskin/gatorskin_en.html

JD-
Musashi Rider
www.sloshbucklers.com
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #68 - Feb 19th, 2012, 9:11pm

Quote from jayg on Jan 8th, 2012, 5:53pm:
The 10-speed drivetrain on my Carbent has not shifted crisply in the rear since the bike was new. It was originally equipped with Dura Ace bar end shifters and Shimano Ultegra road bike front and rear derailleurs. Since I have had such good luck with the 10-speed SRAM Rival drivetrain on my Musashi, I replaced the right shifter with a SRAM TT-500 bar end, the rear derailleur with a SRAM Rival unit, and the Shimano cassette with a SRAM cassette. Still experienced some shifting problems. My latest attempt to improve the situation was to replace the bar end shifters with SRAM X.9 trigger shifters. In conjunction with the shifter change had to replace the Bacchetta long-reach handlebar with a RANS B-41 handlebar for leg clearance. The Ultegra road bike front derailleur was of course not compatible with the SRAM "Exact Shift" trigger shifter (The large lever on the shifter wouldn't even budge the derailler's lever arm). I solved that problem by fabricating a 15 mm extension for the lever arm. Shifts easily, now, and indexes properly. The rear derailleur upshifts fine, but downshifting against the spring pressure is not completely satisfactory, as I sometimes have to actuate the shifter lever again to center the chain on the cogs. My next step will be to replace the large diameter shifting cable with a smaller diameter one (Might be binding). If that doesn't work, may try a SRAM X.0 derailleur. A continuing saga. Oh well, at least I don't have bar ends poking me in the stomach when I make sharp turns.  Smiley  

Replaced the 10-speed SRAM "Rival" mid-cage rear derailleur with a 10-speed SRAM "X.0" long-cage derailleur, and replaced 0.0485" shifter cable with a 0.0435" cable. Put 37 miles on the Carbent at WRL, this afternoon, to test the new derailleur. Success!  Smiley The Carbent is now a sweet-shifting bike. Love those trigger shifters.

Rival Derailleur

New X.0 Derailleur

Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #69 - Feb 21st, 2012, 7:33pm

Just got a new pair of Schwalbe Tryker tires.  I'll mount them on Saturday after running a few comparison tests on the 800 mile Marathon Racers on my Expedition.

Heard comments that the Trykers were radials.  They aren't.

Schwalbe hasn't said offered much technical discussion about them but their marketing staff has spun a few tales.  I suppose the only way to know is to let the rubber meet the road.

I'll post an update after riding them a bit.

BTW, they only come in 20".

Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #70 - Feb 23rd, 2012, 9:51pm

New grips for Dave's F5. Reflective leg bands. a Park Tool bike hanging hook (with metal screw threads not wood screw). Ordered a new helmet mirror for Dave.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #71 - Feb 25th, 2012, 5:39pm

Tested the new pair of Schwalbe Trykers on my Expedition.  Too much wind to get meaningful comparison numbers to the Marathon Racers, but...

The Strykers are fabulous!!!

At 80 PSI they roll like 110 PSI tires!

A bit stiffer then the Marathon Racers, with handling improvements in all the right ways.

Email   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #72 - Feb 27th, 2012, 10:55am

Wow, ordered some new tires from Utah Trikes and look what came in the box!!  Apparently, they're having a special.  Smiley

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #73 - Feb 27th, 2012, 12:13pm

Quote:
Wow, ordered some new tires from Utah Trikes and look what came in the box!! Apparently, they're having a special.

You got a whole trike? instead of tires, that is special

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
Hurricane Dan

Boom chika wow
wow...

Reply #74 - Feb 27th, 2012, 1:19pm

Actually, I got both!  Smiley  If you look at the bottom left of the picture, you'll see three new Marathons stuffed in the corner.  This is Karla's new Pocket.  I ordered the rack and bar-end shifters with it and it's yellow to match the TT I'm now riding.  Wish I could make it to the rally this weekend, but I'll have to settle for WRL.  It will be weird riding the lake without the clowns.  cry

Happiness is riding home into the sunset.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45
Send Topic Print