Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 12:54pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214804 times)
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #45 - Jan 25th, 2012, 11:14pm

You mean like White Out? I've seen that used as spoke dope in the past.

Quote from Denman on Jan 22nd, 2012, 9:58pm:
I bought service.

Rear spokes were loose.  Got out my dial indicator and tuned the guitar; tuned the wheel true and the spokes to the key of G.  A few miles later they came loose.

Did it again.  They came loose again.

OK so I get off my wallet and take the wheel to the LBS (Cadence Cyclery McKinney).  $40 later Chris has my wheel tight & true.  I give the spokes a strum, and hear that familiar key of G...

"Will they stay tight" I asked?  He tells me that he used some spoke dope..."You mean like locktite"?  

Apparently the deep V rims need a locktite equivalent.  Now I know.  It was worth the $40.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #46 - Jan 26th, 2012, 6:50am

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Jan 25th, 2012, 11:14pm:

Quote from Denman on Jan 22nd, 2012, 9:58pm:

Apparently the deep V rims need a locktite equivalent.  Now I know.  It was worth the $40.

White-out is only for when you make a mistake adjusting the spoke tension...   Grin  Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #47 - Jan 26th, 2012, 6:50pm

Got new tires for the Formula today.  I hate to replace tires that show hardly any wear, but the Primo Comets have gotten several flats from insignificant looking stickers.  The Schwalbe Marathon Races should provide better protection with only a minor weight penalty.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #48 - Jan 28th, 2012, 9:30pm

In my quest to reduce the weight of my Performer high racer, and also make it roll faster, I replaced the stock Mavic 26" disk brake wheels and 1-3/8" wide Conti Sport Contact tires with 650c, bladed-spoke, Vuelta XRP wheels and 23 mm wide SERFAS SECA Tri folding tires (187 grams, each). The rear Vuelta rim is designed to fit a 130 mm dropout spacing, so I had to force the high racer's 135 mm spaced dropouts in with the skewer to make the wheel fit. The aluminum rear stays were flexible enough for me to easily accomplish this. Overall, I saved 1.38 pounds with this wheel and tire change. I had already replaced the disc brake assemblies with caliper brakes. The jury is still out on the cheap Taiwanese SECA folding tires, but right now I have the impression they don't roll as fast as the Michelin Pro Race 3 folding tires on the X-Stream wheels I temporarily installed on the high racer. The bike still weighs 33 lbs 1 oz ready to ride with bag and tools. Not a light bike. I could spend a lot more money and still not get the weight below 30 pounds.

Vuelta XRP 650c Road Bike Wheels. Ain't they purty?

Installed Vuelta wheels and SECA tires.  

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2012, 5:41pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #49 - Jan 28th, 2012, 11:06pm

Installed Vuelta wheels and SECA tires.  

It may be heavy - but it sure does look pretty sweet!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #50 - Jan 29th, 2012, 10:22am

Quote from TonyWard on Jan 28th, 2012, 11:06pm:

Thanks, Tony.

Email   IP Logged
Ric_Clark

2012 ~ Musashi

Reply #51 - Jan 29th, 2012, 11:19am

Quote from jayg on Jan 29th, 2012, 10:22am:
Quote from TonyWard on Jan 28th, 2012, 11:06pm:

Thanks, Tony.

I bet Jay can make it go fast though>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ric Clark

I will persist until I succeed...

Gig em AGGIES, Smiley

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #52 - Jan 29th, 2012, 5:08pm

For Jay's edification I will now attempt to post a picture of the trike modification:

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2012, 9:41pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #53 - Jan 29th, 2012, 11:44pm

Quote from Monkeywrangler22 on Jan 25th, 2012, 11:14pm:

This was more like a light green viscous liquid, almost like thick locktite.   Probably a little more water resistant then White out.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #54 - Jan 30th, 2012, 12:13pm

Jay's post about wheels and bike weight reminded me of something... (very nice looking machine, there, by the way!)

The listed weight of an Xstream is ~26 pounds (although I have an Xstream26 model, which is spec'd at 30 pounds, it's got "regular" Xstream components -- so, 26) -- but like all bike specs, this is with wheels and tires, but "naked", without pedals and other accessories.

I've never been a "weight weenie", and carry my kickstand proudly (despite John and Randy Schlitter's admonitions -  Cheesy )... and switched the front brake to disc a few months ago --  and for typical riding, I carry a tool kit, a RoadMorph pump, a Fastback 70 water holder, a bottle cage, and a seatbag that contains two tubes, a spare tire, and minor other things.  I use Velocity wheels and Duranos for road riding, but heavier wheels and Marathon Plus 1.75" tires for harsher situations.

So, I put it on the scale over the weekend, with the Velocity/Durano, and was somewhat surprised to see that it weighed 35 pounds -- an extra 9-10 pounds of stuff, basically -- WITHOUT water!!!  Meaning that it hits 40+ when I carry water and put on the heavier wheels with the Marathon Plus 1.75" tires.

A bit sobering...  No wonder climbing Loving Hill on the White Rock night ride is so tough...

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2012, 12:18pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #55 - Jan 30th, 2012, 4:13pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 30th, 2012, 12:13pm:
Jay's post about wheels and bike weight reminded me of something... (very nice looking machine, there, by the way!)

The listed weight of an Xstream is ~26 pounds (although I have an Xstream26 model, which is spec'd at 30 pounds, it's got "regular" Xstream components -- so, 26) -- but like all bike specs, this is with wheels and tires, but "naked", without pedals and other accessories.

I've never been a "weight weenie", and carry my kickstand proudly (despite John and Randy Schlitter's admonitions -  Cheesy )... and switched the front brake to disc a few months ago --  and for typical riding, I carry a tool kit, a RoadMorph pump, a Fastback 70 water holder, a bottle cage, and a seatbag that contains two tubes, a spare tire, and minor other things.  I use Velocity wheels and Duranos for road riding, but heavier wheels and Marathon Plus 1.75" tires for harsher situations.

So, I put it on the scale over the weekend, with the Velocity/Durano, and was somewhat surprised to see that it weighed 35 pounds -- an extra 9-10 pounds of stuff, basically -- WITHOUT water!!!  Meaning that it hits 40+ when I carry water and put on the heavier wheels with the Marathon Plus 1.75" tires.

A bit sobering...  No wonder climbing Loving Hill on the White Rock night ride is so tough...

Thanks, Paul. I weighed my stock X-Stream the other day with bags, tools, and no water. Weight was 30 lbs 8 oz. It's one pound lighter than my Musashi.  

Email   IP Logged
power_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #56 - Jan 30th, 2012, 4:30pm

Well i don't feel so bad now. My square bike was total with everything was 48 lbs.

Keep Pedaling,the power coming
Midracer being built
Homebuilt Bike X orange
Homebuilt Squared High Racer (20")
Catrike Expedition ( Red)
Wife: Sun Tadpole Trike
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #57 - Feb 1st, 2012, 5:52pm

I had to do it!  I checked my Catrike 700 today and weighed it at 36 pounds, without tools or water.  It is listed as 34 lbs. as sold, though it comes with pedals.  Those are steel, though, and probably weigh slightly more than the clunky aluminum ones on it now.  So the bags, spares, lights, bottle cage, heavy duty tyre, dirt, and computers add about two pounds.  Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #58 - Feb 1st, 2012, 6:26pm

2002 Steel Corsa with all my normal riding gear minus water:  36.8 lbs
Actionbent LowRacer with all my normal riding gear minus water:  32.4 lbs

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #59 - Feb 1st, 2012, 7:18pm

OKOKOKOK!!! You all should be happy, I have never weighted my bike cause I knew it was heavy but I did! With all my tools, spare tubes, rack, fenders,faring, pump, computer,big wheels and tires, water bottles with water, camera,sun screen, head light, tail lights 2 bags and comb the Gold Rush was at 50 pounds!!!! I hope you all are happy!!! Go Clowns!!!  Smiley  See me tomorrow!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 45
Send Topic Print