Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 7:22pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214958 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #555 - Mar 5th, 2015, 12:15pm

I have a fancy trainer in my garage that displays watts, among other metrics. Sometimes I trip over it when I go in my crowded garage. That's about the only action it sees. Cheesy

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2015, 12:18pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #556 - Mar 5th, 2015, 12:41pm

Quote from jayg on Mar 5th, 2015, 12:15pm:
I have a fancy trainer in my garage that displays watts, among other metrics. Sometimes I trip over it when I go in my crowded garage. That's about the only action it sees. Cheesy

Thats the last thing I need t hear Jay, mine is setting up so its out of the way if that happens.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #557 - Mar 5th, 2015, 12:54pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Mar 5th, 2015, 12:41pm:
Quote from jayg on Mar 5th, 2015, 12:15pm:

Thats the last thing I need t hear Jay, mine is setting up so its out of the way if that happens.

Don't let me discourage you, Joe. I have to see ground moving under me when I ride. Can't help it.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #558 - Mar 10th, 2015, 11:05pm

Bought 3 chains, Shimano Deore LX derailleur, and a Deore 10x3 trigger shifter set so I could install the DD3 Hub I had sitting around.

After 5000 miles on the Nuvinci N360 it was time for a change.

Gave it a 15 mile test ride tonight.   Nice.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #559 - Mar 11th, 2015, 11:04am

Quote from Denman on Mar 10th, 2015, 11:05pm:
Bought 3 chains, Shimano Deore LX derailleur, and a Deore 10x3 trigger shifter set so I could install the DD3 Hub I had sitting around.

After 5000 miles on the Nuvinci N360 it was time for a change.

Gave it a 15 mile test ride tonight.   Nice.

John, installation of a trigger shifter set on a trike without horizontal bars (like a Rover's) is pretty unique. How about some photos?

What kind of shifter are you using to shift the hub?

In photos the Nuvinci appears massive, compared to the SRAM hub. Is there a significant weight difference between the two?

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2015, 9:27pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #560 - Mar 12th, 2015, 9:52pm

Quote from jayg on Mar 11th, 2015, 11:04am:

John, installation of a trigger shifter set on a trike without horizontal bars (like a Rover's) is pretty unique. How about some photos?

What kind of shifter are you using to shift the hub?

In photos the Nuvinci appears massive, compared to the SRAM hub. Is there a significant weight difference between the two?

Photos;  For some reason I can't log into my server to upload right now, but I'm working with Softlayer to get that working.

Originally we tried SRAM on my wife's.  Its a Push-Push thumb system that's clumsy on a bike, worse on a trike.

The Shimano Deore 10 speed shifter is a Push-Pull system with better lever positioning.  Works fantastic on the trike.

I got those at Plano Cycling.

Also the triggers are mounted at the top of the bar rather then the bottom.  The cable is looped.

The N360 weighs about 5 Lbs, the DD3 weighs 2 lbs.  Having an infinite gear range is really nice, I can't even begin to put words for it.  But it comes at a price a big price when you're moving slow.  Climbing hills you will go slower.  On the flats I find its almost a bit faster, definitely a reduction in fatigue on longer rides.  Down hills it is slower, not much, but noticeable.   My overall averages on 10+ mile rides is no different, but my knees feel better.

The DD3 has a twisty as the pull from 1-2 is different then the pull from 2-3.  On the order of 4.7mm & 5.3mm.  I considered putting a bar end but the cable exits at the trigger shifter clamp.  The twisty is mounted at the bottom, but after using it a bit, pinky shifting isn't really a problem; its light in feel and I don't use it that often.

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2015, 9:52pm by Denman »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #561 - Mar 13th, 2015, 10:27pm

Nice installation. I prefer trigger shifters for their ease of operation and preciseness. Important when a rider does a lot shifting, like I do.

Email   IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Reply #562 - Mar 21st, 2015, 10:40pm

Well, I think this may just work to get my son interested in cycling Wink  Here's my son on his brand spankin' new Atomic Orange Catrike Pocket.  We're hitting the Cotton Belt Trail tomorrow after church services Cheesy

Matt Bailey
OWN: Optima High Baron
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
Email WWW BentTrekker   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #563 - Mar 22nd, 2015, 8:55am

MUCH more fun for a kid than the back of a tandem....!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #564 - Mar 22nd, 2015, 5:26pm

it has been a day to spend money

Garmin 1000 bundle, Performance had a today 20% discount on any item so i took the plunge - better deal than i could find anywhere and I've been watching for along time now.

Giro Air Attack Shield helmet - picking it up tomorrow because I will use my points from the Garmin purchase to offset the sale price $150 and use the ole Military discount on top of that.  

Performance often has some pretty good deals and if you are a member of their club(forgot what they call it) you accumulate points to offset the next purchase.  The points are 10% of the purchase price of every item you buy, Ive been doing this for a couple years and always come out ahead for the price you pay for the membership.

Rainy days are expensive.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Reply #565 - Mar 22nd, 2015, 5:29pm

What will you do with your Edge 800?  Andrew will need a GPS to start his Strava recording Wink

Quote from Phantom Rider on Mar 22nd, 2015, 5:26pm:

Garmin 1000 bundle, Performance had a today 20% discount on any item so i took the plunge - better deal than i could find anywhere and I've been watching for along time now.

Giro Air Attack Shield helmet - picking it up tomorrow because I will use my points from the Garmin purchase to offset the sale price $150 and use the ole Military discount on top of that.  

Performance often has some pretty good deals and if you are a member of their club(forgot what they call it) you accumulate points to offset the next purchase.  The points are 10% of the purchase price of every item you buy, Ive been doing this for a couple years and always come out ahead for the price you pay for the membership.

Matt Bailey
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #566 - Mar 23rd, 2015, 6:10pm

Sold it  

Quote from BentTrekker on Mar 22nd, 2015, 5:29pm:
What will you do with your Edge 800?  Andrew will need a GPS to start his Strava recording Wink

Quote from Phantom Rider on Mar 22nd, 2015, 5:26pm:

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
Email   IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Reply #567 - Apr 2nd, 2015, 4:51pm

I finally got my 75 yr old father interested in recumbent cycling with me!  Now, I have both my son AND father riding recumbent!!  I found a EasyRacers EZ-3 delta trike like new on Craigslist for $350 and took my father to pick it up this morning.  It's very comfortable for him, and he's pretty excited about his new way of exercising.  It's going to improve his health tremendously, and I'm proud to have two new recumbent converts in my family Cheesy

Matt Bailey
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #568 - Apr 2nd, 2015, 4:59pm

Quote from BentTrekker on Apr 2nd, 2015, 4:51pm:
I finally got my 75 yr old father interested in recumbent cycling with me!  Now, I have both my son AND father riding recumbent!!  I found a EasyRacers EZ-3 delta trike like new on Craigslist for $350 and took my father to pick it up this morning.  It's very comfortable for him, and he's pretty excited about his new way of exercising.  It's going to improve his health tremendously, and I'm proud to have two new recumbent converts in my family Cheesy

Matt, you are really going to have a laid-back family.  Congratulations on getting everyone on a trike.  They're just too much fun to not have one.

IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #569 - Apr 2nd, 2015, 5:17pm

Quote from BentTrekker on Apr 2nd, 2015, 4:51pm:

SWEEEEEET, three generations of bent riders Smiley

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 45
Send Topic Print