Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 27th, 2024, 1:26pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214742 times)
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #585 - Apr 25th, 2015, 8:29pm

After breaking the chain on this mornings ride, I went to Colonels this afternoon and bought a new chain. Aubrey showed me how the chain tool works for pressing out the pin in the broken link, so I bought one of those to put in my tool kit, along with the power links from the old chain. Next time I'll have the knowledge and the tool to fix it on the fly.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #586 - Apr 26th, 2015, 4:17pm

Replacement GP4000 SII, front wheel booster for the trainer for me, 4 spare tubes.

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #587 - Apr 26th, 2015, 4:35pm

I'd not really planned on buying anything today..

However I'd done some tinkering on the bikes yesterday and swapped over to latex tubes.  One just happened to be a Challenger latex tube, (they don't get good reviews).  Fortunately I put it in the rear wheel and not the front.

Just got up to speed and the tube detonated then attacked my drivetrain...

Fortunately it was a quick trip for Vicky to come pick me up as I was less than a mile from the house...   Smiley Smiley Smiley

When I got home, not only had I trashed the tube, but also my Conti GP4KSII and tore the crap out of my rim.  Rim, meet Concrete, Concrete, meet Rim at 25+ mph...

Some work with the dremel, some time with the Spyderco diamond sharpening stones and I think the rim is salvageable.  

Now I have a brand new Conti GP4KSII, some new tubes courtesy of Performance and a HED Ardennes SL rear wheel incoming courtesy of Ebay.

And to think I'd just made the decision to start saving for a nice wheelset and crank based power meter..

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #588 - Apr 26th, 2015, 5:38pm

Quote from Mdicke on Apr 21st, 2015, 7:33pm:
I ordered this little light the other day and it came in today.  At 2800 lumens this thing is definitely going to lite up the night.  

Wow, 2800 lumens...at $24.00?!!!!  Are you listening, NiteRider?

Nice snag.     Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
dd5339
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #589 - Apr 28th, 2015, 1:18pm

Does Vicky's new shoulder count?

For the co-pay we could have bought some sweet carbon wheels or a crank based power meter..  

She's off the bike for awhile, the damage in the shoulder was more than was anticipated, the doc wasn't able to repair everything arthroscopicly as anticipated.  However the prognosis is for full recovery and full range of motion.

Semper Fi

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #590 - Apr 28th, 2015, 2:00pm

Well, that's worth the cost, and thank god for that!

Quote from dd5339 on Apr 28th, 2015, 1:18pm:
Does Vicky's new shoulder count?

For the co-pay we could have bought some sweet carbon wheels or a crank based power meter..  

She's off the bike for awhile, the damage in the shoulder was more than was anticipated, the doc wasn't able to repair everything arthroscopicly as anticipated.  However the prognosis is for full recovery and full range of motion.

Semper Fi

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #591 - Apr 28th, 2015, 2:21pm

At least the open incision is smaller than the last time.

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #592 - Apr 28th, 2015, 3:13pm

Hey dd539,

I think I know what your problem is--there's a big thumb coming out of your tire! Wonder where you picked that up? Did you pass any hitchhikers in that first mile????

Ha! I'm sorry to see that it happened to you--the same thing happened to me at mile 80 of last year's HHH. Tube wound around my cassette--couldn't move at all. I thought I was the only one in the universe that had experienced that. Sucks that you have such a good rim on that concrete!!!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #593 - Apr 28th, 2015, 4:03pm

I'm amazed that the tire came off the rim.  Never had that happen with a conyi.  They're so tight to get on they stay.  I've had others blew off the rim and send me to the deck.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #594 - Jun 20th, 2015, 11:52pm

In Colorado Springs for little vaction and took time to run by Angletech to pick up one of their seat bags.  While there talked my son and my wife into riding a Catrike 559 so they could see what it was like versus the swb or lwb.  Both realy liked it and finally "made" me ride it.  Was really surprised how quick it was for the effort.  Corning a trike with a little speed is a bit tenuous for me but was otherwised pleased with the handling.  Was cranking along and noticed I was stiil in the small ring.  Kick up to the middle ring and it seemed to just take off without significant boost in effort. Yeah its on the list but that is a price for another day.

I also now have a new swirly flag my wife requies to be mounted on my F5.  Maybe i can loose it before i get back to Texas.   Smiley

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #595 - Jun 21st, 2015, 8:32am

I bought a set of SRAM Red Shifters/brifters for a bike I will start building in the next week or two...
Oh yeah, and a new pair of Sidi Eagle MTB shoes off eBay for 130 bucks!

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2015, 8:35am by Rat Rider »  

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #596 - Jun 21st, 2015, 2:37pm

Quote from Rat Rider on Jun 21st, 2015, 8:32am:
I bought a set of SRAM Red Shifters/brifters for a bike I will start building in the next week or two...
Oh yeah, and a new pair of Sidi Eagle MTB shoes off eBay for 130 bucks!

"Brifters" = sounds like you have gone down the cruzbike path, I saw where you were n the hunt and can only assume your success.  So, I for one look forward to seeing a good comparison of the Ca2 to V.  Cruzbikechris has been hounding me for a long time to make the transition.  I really like my CA2 and ride well on it for an old guy.    

Look forward to your comparisons.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #597 - Jun 23rd, 2015, 2:14pm

Quote from Mdicke on Jun 20th, 2015, 11:52pm:

I also now have a new swirly flag my wife requies to be mounted on my F5.  Maybe i can loose it before i get back to Texas.   Smiley

It might be interesting/edifying/eyeopening to see this guy on TED Talks talking about helmets, and if they're really necessary.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07o-TASvIxY
Flags are kinda the same thing.  Unless you're always riding through jam-packed parking lots with little space, a flag is just decoration.  "But you'll get run over...and DIE."  Then again, think about it, do you run over a tractor-trailer retread that's been discarded in the middle of the road?  Never, and they aren't even moving, and aren't lit.  You'll see a good blinkie long before you see a flag.  Most of my videos are on the open road, tens of thousands of miles. (at YouTube, look up: Action Lad Catrike 700.  Once you find one, you'll see many of them.)  Thousands of hours of video over these seven years, and I no one fails to see me.  The opposite is the case, (as you will see in my videos), that they are so transfixed by this beautiful sports car of cycling, that they don't move away.  You see me saying, "Get over...get OVER!"  What a pain.  They see you just fine.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #598 - Jun 23rd, 2015, 3:47pm

Yeah, if they are looking at the road, they should see you just fine...it's the ones that are nose first into their phones, or doing their hair/makeup, or reading the morning paper.... and with those folks, it doesn't matter how bright your lights, how tall your flag,  nor how loud your clothing looks--they won't see you.

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2015, 3:47pm by Monkeywrangler22 »  

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #599 - Jul 5th, 2015, 6:09pm

Got myself a new bike...A P-38 that I ordered thru Easy Street down in Austin. Mike was good to deal with, and was very patient with me as I waffled about everything. I agonized over wheels, brakes, cranks, and rings. In the end I decided to go almost whole hog, and went for a King R45 rear hub laced to a HED Belgium rim, kept the rim brakes, but went the extra Bens for the QRings mounted to 160mm carbon cranks. I did spend a little extra on it, and got the disc brake braze-ons and also the F40 boom. At 27 lbs it came in a little heavier than I thought it would,  but still a good bit lighter than my other bikes, and it rides like a dream.

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 45
Send Topic Print