Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 2:58pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
750 Watt Tongsheng Drive Installation On 700 (Read 1304 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

750 Watt Tongsheng Drive Installation On 700
Sep 30th, 2021, 9:34pm

This Catrike 700 was left in the Mosquito Works before I arrived home from today's Clown Ride. About an hour after I arrived home, UPS delivered the boxed drive kit, shipped by ECO Cycles on 9/28/21. I've already fabricated a carbon fiber Tee mount for the display and a battery mount extension plate from 1/8" aluminum. I've received all necessary components for the installation with the exception of the speed sensor cable extension, ordered from Walmart of all places.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re: 750 Watt Tongsheng Drive Installation On 700
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2021, 6:47pm

Your reading audience is all agog!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2021, 8:36pm

Completed the most labor intensive portions of the build tonight. Completed the fabrication and installation or the display and throttle mount. Also, completed the fabrication of the battery mount adapter shelf and assembled and installed the battery mount assembly. Saved the 700's owner $95 by fabricating these items in the Mosquito Works. Received the last component needed to complete the build this afternoon. Everything will be downhill from here on.

From top left to right: Throttle, Bafang 500c color display (Small & stealthy), and carbon fiber Tee mount                        Mounted throttle and display            

I machined the aluminum adapter that plugs into the steering lever end and the mount. Single button head

screws hold the adapter and mount in place. Used blue thread locker on the threads of both screws.

Top to bottom: 1st two items are T-Cycle battery mount components, 3rd item is adapter shelf I fabricated from 1/8"              Mounted 48v 20ah Hailong battery  
aluminum plate, and 4th item is a battery receptacle. Used blue thread locker on screws that did not receive lock nuts.

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2021, 9:14pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2021, 10:18pm

This would normally be a riding day for me, but I got up late and decided to finish the drive installation, instead. Since I've previously installed two Tongsheng drives, installation of this drive was straightforward. I did have to fabricate a power cable extension by soldering connectors on the ends of positive and negative conductors. Didn't take long to accomplish. Before I sleeved and hung all the cables, I installed the battery, powered up the drive, and made sure it worked by pushing the throttle. Finished the installation late this afternoon. Will enter the appropriate settings in the display and test ride the trike tomorrow. ECO cycles has an online video that shows how to set up and operate the display. With the installed 52T big ring, the owner should be able to reach 28 mph at under 90 rpm cadence. Tried to activate the battery warranty, but as usual the listed website address for the Chinese manufacturer is bogus. The battery charged fully, so it's OK, so far. If the trike is ridden in assist levels 1 and 2 of 5, range provided by the large 20 ah battery should be in excess of 150 miles. Total cost of the drive, as installed, is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1050, if my figures are correct. Pretty cheap for a max legal power drive and the largest available 48v battery. Obtaining components from Aliexpress might be cheaper, but it might take months to receive them.

The drive slides into the trike's empty bottom bracket shell.                                                                                   A large silver-colored nut secures the drive in the shell. A spanner wrench is included  
                                                                                                                                                                         in the kit.  A cheater bar has to be used to apply adequate torque to the nut. 

An anti-rotation clamp needs to be installed on the boom, and screwed to the drive, because the silver nut will eventually            Completed drive installation. Cable runs are wrapped with a split covering  
loosen. This clamp is not furnished in the kit, so must be purchased separately.                                                                         and concealed under the boom and boom receiver. All exposed cable runs
                                                                                                                                                                                           have also received a split covering. Connectors under the trike have  
                                                                                                                                                                                           been wrapped with self-sealing rubberized tape. Note that the drive has  
                                                                                                                                                                                            two chainrings, but no derailleur. Riding will normally be done in the  
                                                                                                                                                                                            big ring  (52 T). If the drive fails or the battery runs down, the chain can  
                                                                                                                                                                                            be manually moved to the small ring (42T) and used as "get me home"  
                                                                                                                                                                                            gearing.

Left view.                                                                                                                                                            Right view. Will be hard for a road bike rider being passed to detect the trike is  
                                                                                                                                                                           motorized.  

Rider's view.                                                                                                                                                         The purpose of this photo is to demonstrate that two different 170 mm crank arms  
                                                                                                                                                                            are installed on the trike. The arm on the rider's right side is straight, while the one  
                                                                                                                                                                            on the rider's left is offset. I haven't checked, but supposedly this corrects for the  
                                                                                                                                                                            drive's 20 mm offset to the right from the trike's centerline. It also reduces the Q  
                                                                                                                                                                           factor. The right arm is from Bafang and the left from Tongsheng. The Bafang arm  
                                                                                                                                                                           can be purchased separately when the Tongsheng kit is ordered from ECO Cycles.

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2021, 10:28pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2021, 5:11pm

Set up the display, then rode the trike to WRL and back home on the Santa Fe Trail (6 miles). Got it up to 28.5 mph on the Santa Fe Trail and 26.7 mph on the WRL rail-to-trail incline. Could have ridden faster. I can certainly feel the difference between it and my 500w Speed E-trike. It's a beast. The speeds I've reported are from my Garmin. The speeds indicated on the display are higher, because there are no provisions for entering the exact wheel diameter when setting up the display.  

The owner picked up the trike late this afternoon.

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2021, 9:12pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2021, 9:10pm

You do awesome work, Sir!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2021, 9:14pm

A bit off-topic, but I discovered the same ~20mm pedal offset from center with Terrie's Bafang setup, and put an extra pedal extender on the left crank to "re-center" things...  however, I feel the Q factor is too wide.  Is it possible to get a straight 150mm right side crankarm???

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Oct 5th, 2021, 10:44pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Oct 5th, 2021, 9:10pm:
You do awesome work, Sir!!!

Thanks, Paul.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2021, 11:20pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Oct 5th, 2021, 9:14pm:
A bit off-topic, but I discovered the same ~20mm pedal offset from center with Terrie's Bafang setup, and put an extra pedal extender on the left crank to "re-center" things...  however, I feel the Q factor is too wide.  Is it possible to get a straight 150mm right side crankarm???

Paul

I would have installed 150 mm arms on my E-Speed, if I could have found them. I ordered a bunch of 152 mm arms, and finally found a straight right one and an offset right one that I re-threaded with a left hand tap, so I could install it on the left side. I also had to grind the left one down to get it to seat properly on the short, square-tapered shaft sticking out of the Tongsheng drive. I don't know where I obtained these two different arms. ECO Cycles sells 152 mm diamond-tapered arms for Bafang drives, but both arms are symmetrical and offset.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print