Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 5:58am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tongsheng TSDZ2 E-Trike Project (Read 5949 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Tongsheng TSDZ2 E-Trike Project
Jan 13th, 2021, 10:02pm

After much research, ordering of components, and some shop fabrication, I'm in the installation phase of my 2007 Catrike Speed trike retrofitting project. The system I've selected is a 500 watt Tongsheng mid drive. I selected it, because it's torque-sensing feature will provide more of a workout than than the cadence-sensing feature of a Bafang mid drive system. Other advantages of torque sensing is motor-cutout brake levers and and a gear-shift sensor will not be needed. I will be able to retain the locking brake levers currently installed on the Speed. I went with a mid drive, because it's more stealthy than a rear wheel drive. The Tongsheng drive unit is smaller and lighter than the equivalent Bafang mid drive unit.

If I didn't have a home machine shop, I wouldn't have been able to start the project, because T-Cycle is currently sold out of display mounts ($50) and Catrike battery mounts ($128). My homemade display mount and battery mount were significantly less expensive than the T-cycle products.

T-Cycle Display Mount                                                                                           Shop-fabricated Carbon Fiber Display Mount. Used high tensile strength, 2-component glue to join the 22 mm tube  
                                                                                                                            sections. Machined an adapter from an aluminum rod and added a bar end shifter expanding plug to it.

Display And Throttle Switch Installed On Carbon Fiber Mount

T-Cycle Catrike Battery Mount                                                                                   Shop-Fabricated Aluminum Plate Battery Mount. Mount is attached to trike's frame with 2" muffler clamps.

17.4 ah Battery Installed On Shop-Fabricated Mount. Battery installation is more stealthy than if the battery was installed on a T-Cycle mount.

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2021, 10:59am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Tongsheng TSDZ2 E-Trike Project
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2021, 1:18pm

You never cease to amaze me Jay!  Remind me not to try and race you on the trike.  Will be expecting a report on top speed soon!!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2021, 8:54pm

Quote from TonyWard on Jan 14th, 2021, 1:18pm:
You never cease to amaze me Jay!  Remind me not to try and race you on the trike.  Will be expecting a report on top speed soon!!

Thanks Tony.  

Supposedly, the controller cuts pedal assist after a 90 cadence. With the stock 42T single chain ring, theoretical speed at a 90 cadence is 19 mph. If I installed a 52T chain ring, max theoretical speed would be 24 mph. If I replaced the current 406 mm rear wheel with a 26" wheel, theoretical max speed would be 31 mph.  

May have an insurance problem with the trike, now that it will be motor powered. My umbrella policy provides liability coverage when I'm riding my non-motorized recumbents,  but it's possible I will not have any coverage when I'm riding the Speed (There was a recent BROL thread addressing this subject). Going to have to check with my insurance company.

Installed the motor drive unit and battery wiring today. Received the last of the parts I need to complete the project late this afternoon.

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2021, 9:01pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2021, 9:44pm

A 52 chainring would be an easy fix.

Since Trikes are not registered the cheapest insurance is bailout and make a run for it.

NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2021, 10:23pm

Quote from bwand on Jan 14th, 2021, 9:44pm:
A 52 chainring would be an easy fix.

Since Trikes are not registered the cheapest insurance is bailout and make a run for it.

I've purchased some additional components to experiment with. One of them is a heavy duty 52T ring. I'm thinking about installing it next to the 42T ring that came with the drive unit. For various reasons will have to move the chain to it by hand.

"Since Trikes are not registered the cheapest insurance is bailout and make a run for it."  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2021, 8:50pm

Finished installing the wiring and motor drive unit today. Will program the display and test ride the trike (If the system works) tomorrow. Replaced the stock chain guard with a 52T chainring,  
so the trike now has two chainrings. A typical installation has only a single 42T chainring. A 42T ring provides a decent top speed for a trike with a 700c rear wheel, but not for the Speed with its much smaller 406 rear wheel. The trike has a ten-speed, 11-28 cassette installed on the rear wheel. Shifting is accomplished via an Archer electronic shifter.  Running 349 x 40 mm Scorcher tires up front, and a 406 x 40 mm Scorcher at the rear.

Note how small the motor/gear/controller housing is.                                                                                           This is the super stealthy side. Hard for a rider being passed to tell it's an E-trike.

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2021, 9:11pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2021, 10:28pm

IT'S ALIVE! Took it for a short test ride. Front end shook severely. Sort of expected that to happen. Rode back home and replaced the upper headset bearings with PTFE bearings from Catrike. Problem solved. Took it for a longer test ride that included climbing some hills. It's a great hill tamer. It's going to be my trike of choice on high head wind days. Going to take it on its maiden voyage on the WRL trail tomorrow afternoon.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2021, 10:46pm

Rode the Speed 17.8 miles at WRL and on the SoPac and Ridgewood Trails. Just before I entered the Ridgewood Trail from the SoPac, the horizontal carbon tube, upon which the Tongsheng display, throttle, and rear view  mirror are mounted, broke off the mount's vertical carbon tube. The high tensile strength adhesive I used to join the horizontal and vertical carbon tubes obviously has very little fatigue resistance. Made a duct tape repair at Craig B's house and continued riding with Craig. Think I will rejoin the tubes with epoxy adhesive and an overwrap of epoxy-saturated fiberglass cloth.

Just like I read prior to purchasing the Tongsheng drive, I still got a workout riding the Speed. The biggest benefit I noticed was the satisfying boost it gave when I was climbing hills. The amount of boost is determined by the amount of torque applied to the crank axle. The throttle proved beneficial when my left knee started stinging, and I had to use it to get back to the lake parking lot where my van was parked. Got the trike up to 19 mph (indicated on the display) using only the throttle. The speed and mileage indicated on the display are not precise, because a mounted tire's actual circumference can't be entered during setup. Just a generic wheel diameter can be entered.  Got the Speed up to 22 mph (indicated on my Garmin computer) on the SoPac flats. I've reached 24 to 25 mph at the same location on my Aero trike. I may not have been riding the Speed at the maximum power level. I'll be doing sprints at maximum boost in the future.  After riding almost 18 miles the battery charge indicator was still showing a full charge. The Tongsheng drives are supposed to be kinder to batteries than Bafang drives. The drive is quiet. It doesn't give itself away by emitting a high-pitched whine. I'm liking the Tongsheng, so far.

Don't know what the cost of a Tongsheng basic DIY installation would be, because I purchased excess components and fabricated a couple in my shop. I'm thinking it would be somewhere between $1,300 and $1,500. Wasn't as daunting task as I expected. Very little instructions are furnished with the drive components. Fortunately, there are plenty on the Net. A wealth of info and components can be found on ECO Cycles' website.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2021, 2:23pm

I have the bafang and love it.  I get all the workout I could possibly want. I really enjoy having the motorized trike around for shenanigans. I know you will too.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2021, 6:07pm

Quote from aikigreg on Jan 18th, 2021, 2:23pm:
I have the bafang and love it.  I get all the workout I could possibly want. I really enjoy having the motorized trike around for shenanigans. I know you will too.

Definitely got a workout on the trike today, fighting high head winds. My legs had had it after just 31 miles of riding, mostly in Level 2 of 4 levels of assist. Average speed was a couple of mph faster than if I had been riding my unassisted Aero trike.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2021, 7:08pm

The ergonomics of the trike are not all that great right now. I can feel the battery pushing on my back, so I've been trying various cushions. Also, the seat cushion is not all that comfortable. Further,  the "Finer Recliner" headrest is not supporting my neck when I have a cushion behind my back. All those things may have contributed to me being tired after just 31 miles of riding today.

Found out today that the battery charge level indicator on the display is not working. Fortunately, the battery has a built in charge indicator. However, I have to remove the heavy battery to check the charge level.   May have to do a workaround, like splicing in a little digital voltage meter.

I've ridden the trike 50 miles since installing the E-system on it. The charge indicator on the battery is displaying just a 33% discharge. I'm very pleased with that. Current battery voltage is 47.9 (Battery is rated 17.4 ah at 48 volts). Going to have to find out what the battery voltage is supposed to be when the battery is considered discharged.  

Checked max speed on flats with assist level set at max (52T chainring and 11T cog on cassette). Max speed achieved was 22 mph. Going to have to replace current 20" rear wheel with a larger diameter wheel to increase trike's top speed.

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2021, 9:21pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2021, 7:01pm

Made some improvements to the E-Speed this afternoon. Replaced the 406 mm rear wheel and 40 mm Scorcher tire with the trike's original 451 mm wheel and a 28 mm Panaracer Minit Lite tire. Should increase the trike's top speed from 22 to 24 mph. Since the display on the 48 volt battery that powers the trike only gives a general idea of its charge status, I added an $8 Chinese digital voltmeter to the trike. Now I can tell the exact status of the battery at a glance. Typical 48 v Hailong battery voltage at full charge is 54.6 v. Cutoff voltage is 36.4 v.

Don't know what's with Chinese manufacturers of electronic products. Just like the Tongsheng drive system, the voltmeter didn't come with a wiring diagram. It had 3 wires coming out of it - red, black, and yellow. Red is typically + and black -. The red and black wires should be all that is needed to check D.C. voltage. Well, not with the this voltmeter. The red and yellow wires have to be joined together on the positive side and the black wire on the negative, or the voltmeter won't work. A simple wiring diagram would have helped save me 30 minutes of time.

451 mm rear wheel w/28 mm tire.                                                                                                                     Digital voltmeter below water bottle. Voltage is 53.9 v, after 20 miles of riding at Level 2 of 4.

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2021, 4:38pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2021, 7:10pm

Rode the trike 51.4 miles today. Not used to riding that far, lately, because of bad weather. Was an ordeal. My knees, particularly the right one took a beating. The right crank arm is offset 10 mm to the right, because of an enclosed large gear on the right side of the drive unit. Will ride some more and see if the right knee continues to give me a problem. Utah Trikes will custom alter a boom to correct the offset crank arm problem (they offset the bottom bracket shell on the boom 10 mm to the left). May have to order a custom boom from them.

Sprinted the trike up to 24.1 mph at assist level 4 of 4, between the WRL Bath House and the gate at Dreyfus Club hill. So, installing the 451 mm wheel increased the trike's previous top speed of 22 mph by 2.1 mph.

After I charged the 17.5 ah battery the last time, voltage was 54.6 v. After 71.4 miles of riding, current voltage is 51.2 v. Looks like there's a good chance I may get over 100 miles out of one charge, since cutoff voltage is 36.4 v. Tongsheng drives are supposed to be more kind to batteries than Bafang drives.

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2021, 7:53pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2021, 6:07pm

After I made the above post, I experienced a lot of pain in my right leg, just below the knee, and in my right hip, that lasted into the night. Never happened before, so there's definitely an ergonometric problem with the Tongsheng drive, as installed, when it comes to my body. I'm used to a Q-Factor of 160 mm when riding with Eggbeater pedals. The Q-Factor of the Tongsheng drive is 210 mm, plus the crank arms' centerline is offset 10 mm to the right. Called Utah Trikes and found out they can alter a Catrike boom to center up the drive unit. Problem is their custom fabrication shop is stacked up with work, so they wouldn't be able to work on a boom for about a month. Will have to mothball the Speed, and go back to riding my Aero trike. If my body won't tolerate a 210 mm Q-Factor, after I install the new boom, the Tongsheng drive will be history. In that case the only option will be to install a rear motor drive on the trike. I already have a battery, so I wouldn't take that big a hit in the pocketbook.

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2021, 6:12pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2021, 10:55pm

Got the Speed back to WRL today. Rode 22 miles with no significant ergonometric issues. Have ridden 112.4 miles without recharging the 48 v 17.5 ah battery. Current battery voltage is 50 v (Cutoff voltage is 36.4 v). Pretty amazing. I've read Tongsheng drives use less battery power than Bafang drives, but didn't expect to get this much mileage out of the battery. And, it still has plenty of reserve left. Sprinted to 24 mph at Level 4 of 4 assist on West Lawther today. Assist cuts out at a 90 cadence (Confirmed by my Garmin computer). I have a Utah Trike extension kit that will allow me to install a 26-inch rear wheel on the trike and increase the trike's top speed at a 90 cadence.

Took some accurate measurements of the drive's Q-Factor and offset from the trike's centerline. Q-Factor with ECO Cycles 152 mm crank arms installed is 215 mm. Drive is offset 35 mm to the right of the trike's centerline. I found an old, straight Origin 8 crank arm in my parts box. It had a left-hand peddle thread. I re-tapped it as a right-hand and installed it on the right side of the drive. I ordered a 175 mm Suntour bowed crank arm, machined it down into 155 mm, and installed it on the left side of the drive. New Q-Factor is 212 mm and offset is 24 mm. So, the Q-Factor has been reduced by 3 mm and the offset by 11 mm. The drive would be pretty much centered up if I installed a custom boom with an offset bottom bracket shell. I talked to Utah Trikes about obtaining same from them, but they never made promised follow-up call. I rode today with my body shifted to the right a little and experienced no knee or hip issues, after 22 miles. Maybe I can get by without a custom boom. I'll have to ride 50 miles sometime and see what happens.

Note straight crank arm on left and bowed arm on right

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2021, 10:57pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print