Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 8:12am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Life in Hell (Read 5855 times)
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Life in Hell
Nov 2nd, 2019, 4:36pm

Went to Baylor Scott and White for a second ablation Tuesday.  Woke up in the dark with a plastic tube going down my gullet.  I guessed something had gone wrong, and it had.  I am still in the ICU, but they say I am doing well, so I might go to a regular room early next week.  After that, rehab facility maybe?  Who knows?  Meds kicking in, so I stop now.  More later.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Life in Hell
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2019, 5:53pm

Quote from rmillay on Nov 2nd, 2019, 4:36pm:
Went to Baylor Scott and White for a second ablation Tuesday.  Woke up in the dark with a plastic tube going down my gullet.  I guessed something had gone wrong, and it had.  I am still in the ICU, but they say I am doing well, so I might go to a regular room early next week.  After that, rehab facility maybe?  Who knows?  Meds kicking in, so I stop now.  More later.

These Golden years are not for the faint of heart. let Sponge BOB know everyone will be praying. Let us know when you are moved to a room and where.. Smiley

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2019, 11:08pm

Holy smokes, Bob! So glad you're still with us.

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2019, 8:17pm

Sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned.  Just keep thinking good thoughts.  Maybe this calls for a new bike??  Let us know if you need anything.

Dianna

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2019, 4:10pm

They seem to think I'm progressing well enough to get out of ICU.  They're moving me to room 1006 in the Roberts hospital in the Baylor Hospital campus, on Hall Street.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2019, 8:07pm

OMG!!!  Thought you were just going in for a run of the mill ablation! Apparently there is no such thing as that. Hope progress toward getting out of jail continues. Hope I can come visit - we'll see. At least you are not missing any good biking right now.
Continue to get well and soon!

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2019, 8:26pm by square_corners »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2019, 3:59pm

Kenny J and I visited Bob in the hospital this morning. Seems there was a glitch in the minimally-invasive heart procedure he was undergoing that required the surgeon(s) to open his chest twice - once to repair his heart and the other to stop bleeding. When we arrived in his room he was sitting in a special chair. His doctors have told him his recovery is going well. He looked good, considering what he has been through. We had short visit with him, then left as a physical therapy nurse got him up and started walking him down a hallway on a walker. His doctor told him that his fitness, due to cycling, played a part in the positive outcome of his operations.

Email   IP Logged
Mac

rbent member

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2019, 4:27pm

Jay -- Thanks for the good news update regarding Bob.  Lynne and I hope things continue to improve and Bob gets to go home soon.  
Mark & Lynne  

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2019, 4:12pm

After all the trouble, I still have two issues to resolve with the heart.  I'm still leaking lots of fluid, and I won't go home until the drain tubes are out.  Also, the bad valve I've been ignoring has apparently gotten worse, and needs to be replaced.  There is a team here that has been doing that without opening the chest.  They want to evaluate me for that procedure, but I have to be in better shape than I am now.  We'll see in a few days.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2019, 1:35pm

darn, heal fast dude.  Time to cut back on the hookers and blow.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2019, 4:06pm

I hope you all the best Bob. Dang, that is scary stuff!

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2019, 4:43pm

Oh, my, I just found out about this from Jay yesterday...   Best healing thoughts to you, Sir!    Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2019, 6:01pm

Thoughts and prayers are with you Bob.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2019, 1:18pm

Chest tubes came out today.  Yay!  Another small step.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2019, 4:08pm

Well, the doctors said they had done about all they could do to me--for me, that is, so they released me to go home, so, here I am.  I'm still a little dopey from the meds, and my gut is all screwed up.  I hope I can regain my appetite and start enjoying food again.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2019, 6:45pm

Have they said when you will be going back for heart repair? Smiley

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #16 - Nov 18th, 2019, 2:26pm

Next evaluation for the heart valve is Dec. 2.  Still dealing with gut problems.  Have to force myself just to take in small quantities.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Nov 18th, 2019, 4:13pm

Quote from rmillay on Nov 18th, 2019, 2:26pm:
Next evaluation for the heart valve is Dec. 2.  Still dealing with gut problems.  Have to force myself just to take in small quantities.

No Barbec's for you!

PB

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2019, 7:10pm

Lynn M reported this morning that Bob's wife Kathy may bring him to Barbec's for breakfast Thursday morning (Nov 21).

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #19 - Nov 20th, 2019, 9:22am

I had two outings yesterday--they did not go so well.  Looks like no Barbec's until after Kathy gets back from Cozumel.  Besides, food still tastes bad to me; I have to force feed myself.   Smiley

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #20 - Nov 20th, 2019, 5:37pm

Dang, hope you're doing better soon.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #21 - Nov 29th, 2019, 3:11pm

Well, I had to take a little trip to the E.R. Sunday night, when I started coughing and then couldn't catch my breath.  The EMTs nebulized me and got me breathing again.  They were all courteous and sympathetic--a good bunch of guys.

The followup at my clinic on Wednesday resulted in them sending me back to Baylor to determine what is making my breathing so abnormal.  So far, all they're doing is sucking mor water out of my emaciated carcass.  At least my guts are working better.  Don't know if my appetite is any better, because I haven't seen much real food since I got here.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #22 - Nov 30th, 2019, 9:51pm

WHen I was in the hospital my friends would call or text and say "can I bring you anything? "   The answer was always  

Yes. Wataburger.  

Let us know if you need an emergency burger run or something .. hospital food is terrible!  

Quote from rmillay on Nov 29th, 2019, 3:11pm:
Well, I had to take a little trip to the E.R. Sunday night, when I started coughing and then couldn't catch my breath.  The EMTs nebulized me and got me breathing again.  They were all courteous and sympathetic--a good bunch of guys.

The followup at my clinic on Wednesday resulted in them sending me back to Baylor to determine what is making my breathing so abnormal.  So far, all they're doing is sucking mor water out of my emaciated carcass.  At least my guts are working better.  Don't know if my appetite is any better, because I haven't seen much real food since I got here.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #23 - Dec 1st, 2019, 6:44pm

Thanks, Doug.  My wife, Kathy has been pretty good at smuggling food in.  I'm only just starting to taste more normally.  Stuff should start happening tomorrow.  We hope that gets me off TDC.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #24 - Dec 5th, 2019, 9:00pm

Well, on Monday they finally got started on what I came to the hospital for.  (Tip: don't go to the hospital for a procedure over Thanksgiving.)  The doctor drained a liter of  fluid from the space around my left lung.  The next day he drained 1.2 liters from around my right lung.  This resulted in a lot freer breathing, and some decent sleep.  Yesterday I got a CT scan, and after a long and uncomfortable series of breathing tests, they discharged me.  I had to go back today for an X-ray, and for the surgery PA to gaze upon my scars.  With the help of Miralax and Megace, I'm eating more normally now.  I need protein in my blood to discourage the pleural effusion, not to mention to build my muscles up a bit.  Barring any more setbacks, I should be able to make the Christmas party at Barbec's next Thursday.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Dec 5th, 2019, 10:10pm

Looking forward to seeing you at Barbec's, Bob.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #26 - Dec 13th, 2019, 8:02pm

It was pleasant to get out and hobnob with the gang yesterday.  It was a bit of an effort, but I was happy to see I could sustain it that long.  It was also nice to get hugs and stuff.  I saw the heart doc who opened me up that afternoon, and he thinks a lot of my current troubles stem from the bad heart valve.  My primary physician was encouraging today, took an x-ray and some blood.  If I can get better sleep, and increase my mobility, I will be happier.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
ICE_Man

rbent member

Reply #27 - Dec 14th, 2019, 7:16pm

Bob, enjoyed seeing you at Barbec's doing as well as can at this point. Glad your lovely wife has been the help you needed. Praying for your better sleep for sure. Craig

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #28 - Dec 18th, 2019, 11:16am

I'm getting out occasionally, though these cold mornings are discouraging.  I still gasp for breath getting up from a stationary position, but I am able to do for myself most of the time.  I actually got some good sleep in last night.  Don't know if it was a new prescription, but I sure hope for more good nights.  Best part was, I rolled over onto my right side and dozed a bit like that, without my chest hurting.  Feels like the breastbone may be knitting and getting stronger.  No doctor appointments until after Christmas.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #29 - Dec 28th, 2019, 4:51pm

Christmas dinner went off well; good eats and good company.  Kathy modified her planning so everything was ready beforehand, and waiting in the warm oven.  She declared it her most stress-free feast in memory.  My rib cage is feeling stronger, and the sleep aid is really helping (not so good if I skip it, though).  I get out more now, and am looking for a day to join you guys at Barbec's.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #30 - Dec 30th, 2019, 8:00pm

That's very good news, Bob. Sounds like your appetite is on the road to recovery as well as your strength. Hope to see you soon, at Barbec's. Course, my luck, I'd skip Tuesday and go Thursday and you would do the opposite.   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #31 - Dec 31st, 2019, 9:51pm

I'll probably try to tip everyone off beforehand.  This Thursday I've got another doctor's appointment.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #32 - Jan 5th, 2020, 7:09pm

Tip off!  I've got a ride to Barbec's for next Thursday.  Kathy wants to meet Lynn there.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #33 - Jan 6th, 2020, 10:21am

Quote from rmillay on Jan 5th, 2020, 7:09pm:
Tip off!  I've got a ride to Barbec's for next Thursday.  Kathy wants to meet Lynn there.

YYAAAA! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #34 - Jan 13th, 2020, 8:58pm

Busy week.  Kathy wants to take me to the gym Tuesday.  I meet with the valve doctor Wednesday.   She has a doctor's appointment Thursday, so I will drive to Barbec's  then, assuming the weather is not terrible.  Driving is not difficult for me, just the stuff in between.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Mar 6th, 2020, 5:31pm

Mad Dog Bob Had a emergency Morning of the 5th, went to emergency Balor with fluid around lungs. He has had fluid drained from one and is heading to xray to check the other side. If all goes well he may get to go home early next week. Keep him in your Prayers.. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #36 - Mar 8th, 2020, 6:01pm

I'm scheduled to have procedures to deal with the abcess on my chest and to drain the left lung tomorow.  If that works out, we'll talk about heart valve.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #37 - Mar 9th, 2020, 4:11pm

Well, I survived this morning, and now have two tubes running out of my belly.  But they say the abcess is superficial, so now they are discussing when to schedule the heart valve.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #38 - Mar 9th, 2020, 9:49pm

Very glad to hear the procedure stayed on course and the abcess was superficial. The valve procedure sounds like it may be more involved. Hope everything goes well. There are beginning to be signs it will be warming up. Hopefully you'll be ready to ride when the weather gets ready!

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Mar 13th, 2020, 10:39am

Received text from Mad Dog Bob, He had the valve surgery yesterday, Looks like everything went well. Next step will be finding out when he can come home. Lot of rest in his future. Smiley

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #40 - Mar 16th, 2020, 9:36pm

They took the chest tube out yesterday and sent me home this evening with a wound vacuum and scheduled home nurse visits.  Going to have a new daily schedule for a few weeks.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Mar 17th, 2020, 9:45am

Bob, Glad everything is going as well as the doctors want.  I know you're going to get restless because we NEVER heal as fast as WE want to, but since everyone is on "lock-down" anyway, get plenty of rest and get well.

IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #42 - Mar 17th, 2020, 1:38pm

Bob, I hope the nurse is HOT so you'll have something to look forward to every day  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #43 - Mar 26th, 2020, 5:07pm

Bob, I'm curious about which type of valve you chose. I have a leaky valve too, and will eventually need a replacement myself.

Those of you who know Debbie B know she had a valve replacement and it's been a long, tough recovery for her. She never has made it back to doing triathlons, but did eventually get back to longer rides. She had her leaky valve for years before it suddenly got really bad and she had to have the replacement.

As old as a lot of us are getting, and the health struggles we have, maybe there should be a health and medical sub-forum here. Sheesh...

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2020, 5:09pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #44 - Aug 23rd, 2020, 5:19pm

Been away for a while -- what's the latest on Senor Millay?????

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #45 - Aug 23rd, 2020, 6:22pm

Bud she certainly has had a run of bad luck these last years. Some bad crashes too. But what a fighter she is!  Perhaps we have a different thread for each of our various ailments?  Blech. What a depressing thought!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #46 - Aug 24th, 2020, 2:30pm

Quote from aikigreg on Aug 23rd, 2020, 6:22pm:
Bud she certainly has had a run of bad luck these last years. Some bad crashes too. But what a fighter she is!

Yes, between such a long, arduous recovery from valve replacement, and the wrecks she has had, she really has had a tough go of it. But, she's back to pedaling a lot of miles, so good for her.

Perhaps we have a different thread for each of our various ailments?  Blech. What a depressing thought!

So many of us are getting older and/or fighting health issues, I've thought about adding a Health and Riding forum where everyone could detail health issues. It really is nice to read how others have been handling such things when you end up newly diagnosed yourself. I remember when I lost half a lung to surgery for lung cancer, and then had to do chemo, I couldn't find a single rider online who was going through the same thing. Of course, many people do not want to post such personal things as health issues online, so I don't know how many posts we would get in such a forum. And there certainly isn't a thing wrong with posting stuff like that in this general forum.

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2020, 2:35pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #47 - Aug 24th, 2020, 3:22pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Aug 24th, 2020, 2:30pm:
Bud she certainly has had a run of bad luck these last years. Some bad crashes too. But what a fighter she is!

Yes, between such a long, arduous recovery from valve replacement, and the wrecks she has had, she really has had a tough go of it. But, she's back to pedaling a lot of miles, so good for her.

Perhaps we have a different thread for each of our various ailments?  Blech. What a depressing thought!

So many of us are getting older and/or fighting health issues, I've thought about adding a Health and Riding forum where everyone could detail health issues. It really is nice to read how others have been handling such things when you end up newly diagnosed yourself. I remember when I lost half a lung to surgery for lung cancer, and then had to do chemo, I couldn't find a single rider online who was going through the same thing. Of course, many people do not want to post such personal things as health issues online, so I don't know how many posts we would get in such a forum. And there certainly isn't a thing wrong with posting stuff like that in this general forum.

Also, If we are informed of each other medical condition we can put you on out prayer list.  Smiley

IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #48 - Aug 24th, 2020, 10:19pm

I'm alive and riding a little better each week, Paul, thanks.  My valve replacement was the aortic valve, which used the TAVR procedure.  That replaces the valve using a catheter inserted in the femoral artery at the groin.  Other valve procedures require opening up the heart.  I wasn't told the brand of the valve.  It was only described as semi-synthetic.  The valve gave me an almost immediate improvement.  The rest of the stuff they did to me during that hospital stay was not so pleasant.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print