Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 9:39am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zwift racing (Read 795 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Zwift racing
Jul 17th, 2020, 11:02am

When i was futzing with going through all the free training and cycling apps, Ratrider Roy planted the seeds of doing the weekly team time trial. I joined his team for the first time last night. The team is mostly recumbent and dedicated to helping new racers.  

We did a 29k race that was fairly flat. Everyone slowed down when i kept falling behind. It took a while to figure out some nuances and not get dropped so often, but this group is dedicated to getting everyone to the finish together. The time went quickly and i enjoyed chatting with everyone on the discord app during the race. I've done nothing but solo rides and forgot how much fun and how much faster you can go when BSing with others.  

If you're interested I'm sure you can join the gang.  I still don't think I'll do a ton of solo zwifting, but the racing, especially the team, is cool.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Re: Zwift racing
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2020, 5:42pm

It's an acquired taste. I have seen my cycling improve and the number of Zwifting events increase too. It is just very convenient for me; I find I work out more frequently.  

As for the team time trial, it is frequently very brutal. Often, my heart rate is at the edge of red for the entire hour race. It depends on the makeup of the team.

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2020, 9:39pm

This was my 4th week. It's getting to be more and more fun. I don't really think of it as a race as much as an unplanned interval training ride with cool bent riders i can talk to. Probably because I'm pretty slow right now.  Even though I'm too out of breath to talk a lot, it also helps with the socializing need. I've been getting real tired of solo rides.  

We need more riders though to maintain the bent only teams. Not everyone can make it every week and we have a team for newer slower riders and one for faster racers. If we can't field a team we have to separate and go to other teams.  If you have ANY interest let me know and I'll get you set up.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2020, 9:32am

Cross posting

Update:

I am happy to report the akigreg has been sucked into the Zwift borg. He is a contributing member of a recumbent time trial team (TTT) that races every Thurs. Surrounding the race is a constant flow of BS and recommendations about all things Zwift racing. Ours is a team comradery, minus the judgmental nonsense - equal parts self aggrandizing and self deprecation. Fun, Fun, Fun, till her daddy takes the t-bird away ♫♪♪!

Observe Greg (in France) on the left, out of the saddle. Quite a trick on his RANS trainer-bike.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50258825166_0f1f884077_b.jpg

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2020, 5:14pm by Rat Rider »  

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2020, 5:11pm

Alas, I have only a "stupid" trainer, and none of the required accessories - and no real budget for it.  Maybe someday...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2020, 5:16pm

It has gotten bunch cheaper recently. You can buy a second gen trainer like mine new for about 500. Much less than my investment.

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2020, 2:23pm

Anyone have any luck trying a Wahoo Kickr on a recumbent? I was wondering about that for Christmas this year...

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2020, 2:29pm

Any smart trainer will work. I ended up with an H3 used based partly on Bud's recommendation. I would have bought a kickr otherwise. But they'll all work, though certain models may have differences like dropout spacing or whatever.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print