Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 1st, 2024, 11:55pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tubeless update (Read 2926 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Tubeless update
Aug 11th, 2018, 7:28pm

Back in the January-Feb timeframe, I had determined that my A23 rim wheels didn't have a good, clean seal, and the rim tape was partially up into the bead area, which was behind the random pressure loss.  I had Rhett at John's go over them, replace the rim tape and do the installation, and I've been running successfully on them ever since, with no sudden bleedout.

Not sure how many miles I have on the tires, since I swap out wheelsets fairly often depending upon the ride, but I think they really contribute to my ability to keep up with the >25mph GDB riders I hang with on Tuesday nights...  I'll try to go through my Strava records to figure out miles.

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Tubeless update
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2018, 8:57am

So, going through my Strava data and attempting to sort out when I used the tubeless set, it looks like I've put about 900 miles on this pair of Pro Ones.  Starting to develop a flat spot, but still have miles left on 'em!

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:00pm

I spoke/typed too soon -- I did the Thursday Mesquite ride for 34 miles, and when I went to Saturday's Airport Ride, I noticed a 4" patch of cord showing through on one of the Pro Ones...  I figured I could get one more ride out of 'em, so I did the 40 without incident, then headed to John's to get some new shoes for the Sprint.   So, about 1000-1100 miles on 'em.  Considering the amount of fast speed scrubbing they receive, I'm not too surprised.

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2018, 5:30pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:00pm:
I spoke/typed too soon -- I did the Thursday Mesquite ride for 34 miles, and when I went to Saturday's Airport Ride, I noticed a 4" patch of cord showing through on one of the Pro Ones...  I figured I could get one more ride out of 'em, so I did the 40 without incident, then headed to John's to get some new shoes for the Sprint.   So, about 1000-1100 miles on 'em.  Considering the amount of fast speed scrubbing they receive, I'm not too surprised.

Was your trike's toe-in set with you seated on the trike? I ran 0 toe-in on my ICE VTX trike equipped with tube-type Schwalbe Ones.  

Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2018, 8:41pm

Quote from jayg on Aug 23rd, 2018, 5:30pm:
Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 22nd, 2018, 10:00pm:

Was your trike's toe-in set with you seated on the trike? I ran 0 toe-in on my ICE VTX trike equipped with tube-type Schwalbe Ones.

What is it set to now?  Just curious.  Mine is always set to 0.

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2018, 8:57pm

Yes, I set it to 0 as close as I could...

Tiger_Mike

rbent member

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2018, 6:31am

I'm curious about a couple of things with the tubeless setup...do you notice any difference in leak down with the tubeless? In other words, do you have to pump them up as often to maintain the pressure range you like to ride with? And the bigger question: would you trust it on a commuter setup? I'm intrigued, but I really don't want to deal with a messy flat in the dark at 6:00 am when I'm on the way to work!

P38
Rans XStream
Rans V2
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2018, 7:17pm

Visiting the SchwalbeUS site, looking for tubes (they wanted too much for shipping), I noticed an interesting development in the tubeless scene.  The new style carcases that replaced the One Pro are available in a Marathon Supreme (32-622) and a Marathon Race (26", I think).  That Supreme could be a durable alternative for fast touring.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2018, 11:56am

I've been testing Jay's old set of Scorchers on my 700.  I like the feel and they roll as nice as the Kojaks.  But I've had three tube failures with them in three weeks.  Worse, the tires require a herculean effort to remove and remount.  Not a good fit with long rides.  I'd like to blame the tires, but it's probably as much the tubes.  I can only find 28-35 width with presta stems, and I think the 40-width of the Scorchers over-stresses them.  Anyway, they are off, now, and the winter Marathons (also buggers to mount) are on.  More tubes and a tire jack are on order.  

The failure this morning was the Kojak on the back.  (Sigh!)   Smiley

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2018, 11:57am by rmillay »  

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2018, 3:25pm

I'm quite happy with how the Pro One tubeless roll, that's for sure... Not too happy about only getting ~1,000 miles out of them, though.  No flats so far, but installation can be touchy to guarantee a good seal.  I top them up roughly once a week if I'm not riding them.

I'm using my Duranos for "everyday" riding, and only changing wheelsets when the need for speed is there.

Paul

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2019, 11:29am

The tubeless Pro Ones continue to perform well, and my mileage has improved with a slight toe-in adjustment.  I've now added a tubeless rear 559...

Paul

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print