Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 4:00am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VTX test ride (Read 1161 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

VTX test ride
Apr 15th, 2019, 8:02am

Had a chance to take a VTX Black out on a 40k test ride today, from John's - I did the Lancaster 23 mile route... ProOne tubeless tires, disk brakes, 153 cranks, and Rotor chainrings 52/40/26, seat reclined to max. Oh, my....

Sweet ride - I almost didn't miss my full suspension from the SprintX.  I think the seat support being halfway down the seat helps reduce shock transfer from the rear wheel, and I know the ProOnes helped, too.

Handling was superb, as expected, with great high speed turn stability.  Downhills at 30+ were rock solid.  Hill climbing on the "5 mile hill" 8% grade was about 1mph faster than on my SprintX, staying above 9mph - the lower trike weight and Rotor rings undoubtedly helped - and I didn't have to use the 26T granny.  

Typical flat rolling speeds were 20-22mph, top flat speed was 28mph, and it felt good overall, but I don't have a direct speed comparison to the SprintX on this route... however, the VTX is probably a bit faster, if for no other reason than better aerodynamic profile than my Sprint.

The new wider neckrest is a definite improvement - wider, and cushier...  However, about the only thing I didn't really like was the fixed handlebar position - you can't tilt it forward/back or change the width -- this left my upper arms almost vertical, increasing wind resistance.

Overall, I would have to say that this is a great machine...  if I had the chance to try it in 2016 before buying the SprintXfs, I probably would have chosen the VTX...  Getchaone!

>> note on the Rotor elliptical chainrings: This was my first ride using them, and I immediately noticed that it was easier getting through the pedaling "dead zone"... I didn't notice any particular erratic change in pedaling rpm, it was just "easier"...  and I LIKE it...  and there were no shifting irregularities.  Kinda makes sense, since it creates a lower/easier gear through that pedaling dead zone.  I may just have to spend some bucks...

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2019, 11:14am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: VTX test ride
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2019, 9:31am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 15th, 2019, 8:02am:
Had a chance to take a VTX Black out on a 40k test ride today, from John's - I did the Lancaster 23 mile route... ProOne tubeless tires, disk brakes, 153 cranks, and Rotor chainrings 52/40/26, seat reclined to max. Oh, my....

Sweet ride - I almost didn't miss my full suspension from the SprintX.  I think the seat support being halfway down the seat helps reduce shock transfer from the rear wheel, and I know the ProOnes helped, too.

Handling was superb, as expected, with great high speed turn stability.  Downhills at 30+ were rock solid.  Hill climbing on the "5 mile hill" 8% grade was about 1mph faster than on my SprintX, staying above 9mph - the lower trike weight and Rotor rings undoubtedly helped - and I didn't have to use the 26T granny.

Typical flat rolling speeds were 20-22mph, top flat speed was 28mph, and it felt good overall, but I don't have a direct speed comparison to the SprintX on this route... however, the VTX is probably a bit faster, if for no other reason than better aerodynamic profile than my Sprint.

The new wider neckrest is a definite improvement - wider, and cushier...

Overall, I would have to say that this is a great machine...  if I had the chance to try it in 2016 before buying the SprintXfs, I probably would have chosen the VTX...  Getchaone!

>> note on the Rotor elliptical chainrings: This was my first ride using them, and I immediately noticed that it was easier getting through the pedaling "dead zone"... I didn't notice any particular erratic change in pedaling rpm, it was just "easier"...  and I LIKE it...  and there were no shifting irregularities.  Kinda makes sense, since it creates a lower/easier gear through that pedaling dead zone.  I may just have to spend some bucks...

Paul, how much does a basic VTX cost?

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2019, 11:19am

Quote from jayg on Apr 15th, 2019, 9:31am:

Paul, how much does a basic VTX cost?

Going through their configurator, choosing BB7 disc brakes and 10-speed gearing, 52/39/30 triple with short cranks, total comes out to ~$4500 delivered

Paul

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2019, 2:51pm

Jay is not going to ride the GRP seat, it weighs a whole pound more than the CF, so there goes another $700.

It’s is a very sweet ride, I spent some time on the same one Paul rode and feel in love with it.  Better hurry though, I just got wind of a price increase from a dealer.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print