Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 8:39am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
ICE 700c Sprint X fs (Read 18101 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: ICE 700c Sprint X fs
Reply #45 - Dec 22nd, 2016, 4:38pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 22nd, 2016, 2:42pm:
Next "tweaking" phase on the SprintX -- I've changed out the "medium" front suspension elastomers for "hard" durometer ones, and will change from "soft and medium" rear elastomers to "medium and hard" durometer pieces, in an attempt to reduce power loss through suspension bounce -- while also trying to keep some suspension advantage in place, for city street navigating.

Front suspension changeout:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae256/pbrown8js/susp1.jpg

Rear suspension changeout:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae256/pbrown8js/susp2.jpg

The rear elastomers come in Christmas colors. Nice touch.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #46 - Dec 31st, 2016, 4:23pm

Increasing the elastomer hardness feels like it's made the trike a bit more responsive, yet without losing too much of the suspension cushion...  Riding at WRL the last few days of this week, I've been able to keep it in the 20mph range -- how much of that is me getting adapted to it, I don't know, of course.

However, I did the GDB Airport Ride today, for 40+ miles out and back, and was able to stay with the group at 18-20 the entire way, including cranking it up to about 27 mph on the pre-stop sprint...  so, while I had my concerns about keeping up, they were apparently unfounded.  I got several questions from other riders as to the overall weight of the trike, and they were rather shocked at the 40+ pound figure, based upon what they had seen me do...

Key was doing some filming on Thursday morning at WRL with Jay, and I happened to see them about 100 yards ahead of me -- and caught them, photobombing his video -- but this is a good visual comparison of the SprintX and the VTX.  thanks, Key!

https://youtu.be/5dkMpNL-ZlM

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #47 - Jan 3rd, 2017, 11:28am

Key on two wheels, Paul on three...what is the world coming to?

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #48 - Jan 3rd, 2017, 8:54pm

Quote from JimFPU on Jan 3rd, 2017, 11:28am:
Key on two wheels, Paul on three...what is the world coming to?
Circumstances made it necessary that day.  
I really like the bike.  Stupid fast.  I just can't throw it around the way the trike loves it.  Dump excessive watts into that drive wheel and it'll fishtail, (save the explosive starts for the drag racer); high speed turns are true acts of faith that there's nothing on the turn to make the wheels slide out from under you.  On a trike, it's called drifting, but I am still working out how to do it automobile style.  Perhaps, to suddenly turn, (just before hitting the thin patch of sand you've laid out for the purpose), and pedal like crazy to keep the momentum going.  Oh for some sponsorship!! Smiley

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #49 - Jan 9th, 2017, 3:03pm

Drifting through a turn on two wheels is better known as "crashing"...  when that rear wheel slides out from underneath you, you're down in an instant -- gravity works!    Smiley  You've also potentially trashed your rear derailleur, and shaved a few millimeters off the side of your seat.

Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #50 - Jan 10th, 2017, 12:10am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 9th, 2017, 3:03pm:
Drifting through a turn on two wheels is better known as "crashing"...  when that rear wheel slides out from underneath you, you're down in an instant -- gravity works!    Smiley  You've also potentially trashed your rear derailleur, and shaved a few millimeters off the side of your seat.
None of that, of course, on the trike.  Just take a corner as fast as you wanna go...until the inside wheel lifts, anyway, but it's fun to explore when that happens.  The most fun is when you get to show a roadie how a trike can get off the line:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaN-5Qwwvxw

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.  (sorry Paul.  embarrassed)

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #51 - Jan 11th, 2017, 7:58am

First time taking the trike onto the White Rock Trail...  I had put the rear fender on for the first time, as a precaution, and used the 559 rear wheel with 1.3" Kojak.

* Started at 4:30 at Forest Lane / Schlotzky's, per the regular GDB ride start, planning to be back by 6PMish to join the GDB 6:30 group
* Successfully rode down the hill by the dumpster to get onto the trail, without dumping myself;
* Suspension definitely smoothed out the random cracks and bumps of the trail - especially the occasional harsh seam bump along the golf course and other locations - with no steering swerve noticed;
* Just past the tennis courts, noticed the fender rattling - stopped and had to tighten a couple of the bolts - they were trouble-free the rest of the night;
* Typical rolling speed down the trail was 18-19, when I wanted to;
* Did a CCW lap at the lake, passing a few riders along the way, and being passed by a couple as well -- briefly saw and waved to JohnnyBent after the Spillway climb, but neither of us stopped;
* Stopped briefly at the top of the lake to check the fender bolts, but all were still tight;  Had a 17 average at that point.
* Stopped in at Dallas Bikeworks, to purchase a spare 26 x 1.25 tube, after realizing that I had brought 700c spares by mistake(!)
* Typical rolling speed back up the trail was 15-16 mph;
* Successfully rode UP the small hill by the dumpster, at speed, to get back into the parking lot behind Mattito's/Schlotzky's, getting back at 6PM with 21 miles in;
* Put on warmer clothing and full gloves for the "night ride" version;
* Repeated the whole thing with the GDB group, but CW around the lake this time, for 42 miles total.

I'm pleased with the dampening effect of the suspension on the trail, even with the 'hard' elastomers I've got in place.  It was a good test.

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2017, 7:58am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #52 - Feb 15th, 2017, 5:51pm

Took La Machine in to John's for a 1,000-mile checkup...

* At my request, he was going to file a bit off the ends of the front seat receptacle half-tube -- the seatclamps wouldn't QUITE both go past the ends of the piece, at their max separation, and it always takes 15-30 seconds of fooling with it to get the seat set into the support.  Since I take the seat off every time I put it in the car, this needed to be addressed;

* No significant loosening of anything, and the spokes have held tight on all wheels;

* Cleaned drivetrain - I had lubed with T-9 three or four times.

* Front Durano tires are definitely showing wear -- wonder how long they'll go?

Solid machine, for sure.

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2017, 12:51pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #53 - Feb 16th, 2017, 8:41am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Feb 15th, 2017, 5:51pm:
Took La Machine in to John's for a 1,000-mile checkup...

* At my request, he filed a bit off the ends of the front seat receptable half-tube -- the seatclamps wouldn't QUITE both go past the ends of the piece, at their max separation, and it always takes 15-30 seconds of fooling with it to get the seat set into the support.  Since I take the seat off every time I put it in the car, this needed to be addressed;

* No significant loosening of anything, and the spokes have held tight on all wheels;

* Cleaned drivetrain - I had lubed with T-9 three or four times.

* Front Durano tires are definitely showing wear -- wonder how long they'll go?

Solid machine, for sure.
Two questions:  
What is it you like about T-9 Lubricant?  I'm always looking for the fifth essence in lubes.  Smiley  
Also, I'd love to know your final mileage from a front pair of Duranos.  I only get to ride with one on the rear.  Love the tire.  Thanks.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #54 - Feb 23rd, 2017, 12:50pm

Nothing really specific about the T-9 -- it was just recommended to me by John.  Still builds up black crap just like RockNRoll did when I used it.  Only one that didn't was White Lightning.

Took the Duranos off last night, and I'd be surprised if they make it to 2,000...

Paul

Quote from Action Lad on Feb 16th, 2017, 8:41am:

Two questions:
What is it you like about T-9 Lubricant?  I'm always looking for the fifth essence in lubes.  Smiley  
Also, I'd love to know your final mileage from a front pair of Duranos.  I only get to ride with one on the rear.  Love the tire.  Thanks.

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #55 - Feb 23rd, 2017, 12:53pm

Wound up NOT filing off the ends of the half-tube seat support.  Rhett reversed the direction of the seatclamps, and that seems to have created some additional clearance.  Still not perfect, but I think it's an improvement.

[* At my request, he was going to file a bit off the ends of the front seat receptacle half-tube -- the seatclamps wouldn't QUITE both go past the ends of the piece, at their max separation, and it always takes 15-30 seconds of fooling with it to get the seat set into the support.  Since I take the seat off every time I put it in the car, this needed to be addressed;]

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2017, 9:35am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #56 - Feb 24th, 2017, 5:42am

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Feb 23rd, 2017, 12:50pm:
Took the Duranos off last night, and I'd be surprised if they make it to 2,000...

Paul
Then the grass is just about as green on that side.  If I'm a good boy and don't take the bottom of the spillway like a formula 1, I'll get 1,700 miles or more out of a pair of Kojaks.   But what's the fun in that?

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #57 - Feb 24th, 2017, 12:14pm

Took the trike on the GDB Downtown night ride last night, 30 miles from NDallas through downtown and back.  I used Kojaks all around, 1.3" 559 on the back, and 1.3" 406 on the front.

I must say, the suspension does a MARVELOUS job at compensating for the random cracks and potholes one encounters riding at night on Dallas city streets... even McMillan Ave was tolerable (and if you've ever ridden down McMillan, you know what I'm talking about).  All in all, a very successful test, including speeding through downtown on Elm street at 25+ mph.

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2017, 12:17pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #58 - Feb 24th, 2017, 8:02pm

Whats the story on this ride?  I'd probably join up for it if its a regular ride and they are not using the trail .

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Feb 24th, 2017, 12:14pm:
Took the trike on the GDB Downtown night ride last night, 30 miles from NDallas through downtown and back.  I used Kojaks all around, 1.3" 559 on the back, and 1.3" 406 on the front.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #59 - Feb 27th, 2017, 9:40am

It's every Thursday night, year-round, 6:30 rollout from Schlotzky's across from Medical City.  Lights required.  Rolling pace around 16MPH, no drop.  Typically 6-10 people.  Some rough streets, especially downtown.  We do 1-1/2 loops of downtown, going through Deep Ellum, and dodging busses on Elm street going west, but the downhill and traffic light synchronization mean that we do Elm at ~25 mph.   One break, at AA center, for bathroom use at the bar on the corner.  Typically back to the parking lot by 9:15.

I'd suggest a trike, not a velo, due to occasional climbing.

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2017, 9:40am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print