Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 1st, 2024, 9:24pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
ICE 700c Sprint X fs (Read 18081 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: ICE 700c Sprint X fs
Reply #30 - Dec 5th, 2016, 9:16pm

Quote from rmillay on Dec 5th, 2016, 8:52pm:
Presumably, the problem with differential electromotive properties in different metals is supposed to be addressed with thorough paint coverage of the adjacent parts, possibly including a gasket (Jay?)  Any little breach in this protection, however, can start the corrosive chemical reactions that occur between unlike metals.  We cyclists may be too demanding of our hardware to prevent this.  We could ride our trikes gently, on sunny days, and wash them with damp cloths, but we still rely on good warranties like ICE's.  If Jay or Craig is not satisfied with this, some of us would be glad to take them, cheap!   Smiley

I taped the slip joint under the seat on both my and Craig's VTXs. The boom may or may not be separated from the frame by a thin plastic spacer. Just to make sure no water gets in the joints, I don't ride my trike in the rain or on wet pavement. The owner's manual doesn't address galvanic corrosion prevention, and I haven't found anything on the Internet about owners having experienced same, but I did hear second hand that Mike R in Denton (Bentvison) had to replace the aluminum rear section of his ICE Vortex, because it "corroded". If he's still participating in the Forum, maybe he can comment.  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #31 - Dec 6th, 2016, 8:50am

I've sent an inquiry to Patrick Selwood at ICE, for his comments...  and even suggested possible maintenance checks.

Paul

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016, 3:03pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #32 - Dec 6th, 2016, 12:21pm

Asked, and answered!!!
Paul

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Hi Paul,

The aluminium back end of all of the trikes is always protected, in the case of the VTX by a tough powder coat paint finish and in the case of the Sprint, Adventure and other trikes by an anodised finish. There is also a plastic shim in there which stops direct contact between the two materials even in the case that the finish is damaged. We have been producing trikes with steel cruciforms for about 20 years and trikes with steel cruciform and aluminium back ends and booms for over 6 years and we do not see the issues that the forum members are worrying about. The benefits of the different properties of the materials outweigh any potential issues with corrosion which might occur because of the dissimilar metals.

If you wanted to pull out the back end and boom and treat the inside of the main frame with a product like framesaver occasionally it certainly wouldn’t hurt but I wouldn’t say it is vital unless you regularly ride in salty or other corrosive conditions.  

Thanks,  

Patrick

Patrick Selwood,
Inspired Cycle Engineering
Unit 15
Tregoniggie Industrial Estate
Falmouth, Cornwall  
TR11 4SN

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016, 12:38pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #33 - Dec 6th, 2016, 12:25pm

IMO in this situation , Framesaver should be a requirement.  

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 6th, 2016, 12:21pm:
Asked, and answered!!!
Paul

....If you wanted to pull out the back end and boom and treat the inside of the main frame with a product like framesaver occasionally it certainly wouldn’t hurt but I wouldn’t say it is vital unless you regularly ride in salty or other corrosive conditions.

« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2016, 12:28pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  
Email   IP Logged
Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #34 - Dec 6th, 2016, 12:35pm

Quote from rmillay on Dec 5th, 2016, 8:52pm:
If Jay or Craig is not satisfied with this, some of us would be glad to take them, cheap!   Smiley
We'd only be taking them off their hands because we care so much for them....Jay and Craig, that is.   Smiley  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Dec 6th, 2016, 5:47pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 6th, 2016, 12:21pm:
Asked, and answered!!!
Paul

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Hi Paul,

The aluminium back end of all of the trikes is always protected, in the case of the VTX by a tough powder coat paint finish and in the case of the Sprint, Adventure and other trikes by an anodised finish. There is also a plastic shim in there which stops direct contact between the two materials even in the case that the finish is damaged. We have been producing trikes with steel cruciforms for about 20 years and trikes with steel cruciform and aluminium back ends and booms for over 6 years and we do not see the issues that the forum members are worrying about. The benefits of the different properties of the materials outweigh any potential issues with corrosion which might occur because of the dissimilar metals.

If you wanted to pull out the back end and boom and treat the inside of the main frame with a product like framesaver occasionally it certainly wouldn’t hurt but I wouldn’t say it is vital unless you regularly ride in salty or other corrosive conditions.

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick Selwood,
Inspired Cycle Engineering
Unit 15
Tregoniggie Industrial Estate
Falmouth, Cornwall
TR11 4SN

Thanks, Paul. Double protection (Powder coat or anodizing and plastic shim), so galvanic corrosion is a non-issue, unless the rear section is removed from the cruciform frequently, causing finish and shim damage. Then, application of Framesaver, particularly in a wet area where road salt is present, would be a good idea.  

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #36 - Dec 7th, 2016, 3:00pm

This means J can start riding his new trike. YYEEEAAA!!!! Smiley

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Dec 7th, 2016, 4:56pm

Quote from kenbent6 on Dec 7th, 2016, 3:00pm:
This means J can start riding his new trike. YYEEEAAA!!!! Smiley

Now's the time to give yourself a Sprint X trike for Christmas. Was at John's Trikes and Bikes this afternoon, buying some accessories. Patti informed me they currently have one that's waiting to be assembled. If you want to spend a little less money, they have an example of Catrike's latest offering, the Dumont, in a display on the floor. You know you want a suspended, folding trike of your own.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2016, 4:59pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #38 - Dec 7th, 2016, 5:56pm

So Key has been preaching the Gospel of Trike all these years, and since Paul converted, now everyone has to join in? Well that's OK I guess...I have 6 trikes, if you count the velo. It does have only 3 wheels...

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Dec 7th, 2016, 6:38pm

Quote from JimFPU on Dec 7th, 2016, 5:56pm:
So Key has been preaching the Gospel of Trike all these years, and since Paul converted, now everyone has to join in? Well that's OK I guess...I have 6 trikes, if you count the velo. It does have only 3 wheels...

Add another trike to the list - I'm currently assembling a 700 in my kitchen for a Forum member.

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2016, 6:43pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #40 - Dec 8th, 2016, 3:53am

Ooh ooh   do tell, who did we convert?

Quote from jayg on Dec 7th, 2016, 6:38pm:

Add another trike to the list - I'm currently assembling a 700 in my kitchen for a Forum member.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Dec 8th, 2016, 12:24pm

Lynn is adding a performance trike to her stable.

Quote from MrWizard on Dec 8th, 2016, 3:53am:
Ooh ooh   do tell, who did we convert?

Quote from jayg on Dec 7th, 2016, 6:38pm:

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #42 - Dec 8th, 2016, 3:40pm

Lynn bought Rothgeb's 700...

The Sprint X at John's is a duplicate of mine, ordered at the same time.

Action Lad
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #43 - Dec 8th, 2016, 9:54pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Dec 8th, 2016, 3:40pm:
Lynn bought Rothgeb's 700...
Attagirl!  Now watch her fly.  Can't wait for next episode of The Performance Trike Effect.  This year saw Craig go from mild mannered Dr. Delta to the blistering ICE Monster.   Smiley  

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2016, 9:49pm by Action Lad »  

"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal!"
T.J. Fowler -- Chicken Run
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #44 - Dec 22nd, 2016, 2:42pm

Next "tweaking" phase on the SprintX -- I've changed out the "medium" front suspension elastomers for "hard" durometer ones, and will change from "soft and medium" rear elastomers to "medium and hard" durometer pieces, in an attempt to reduce power loss through suspension bounce -- while also trying to keep some suspension advantage in place, for city street navigating.

Front suspension changeout:

Rear suspension changeout:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print