Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 13th, 2024, 1:33am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
2 wheels bad, 3 wheels good? (Read 19177 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: 2 wheels bad, 3 wheels good?
Reply #30 - Aug 8th, 2016, 11:58am

While I like the aerodynamics of the recline, and the relative speed potential, running with the high pressure skinny tires makes every ride rather jarring (not surprising). I'm starting to form the opinion that the 700 is somewhat limited in its versatility... yes, I know, different tools for different jobs --  

...but if I had to have only ONE trike, 1) what's the next step model away from the 700, with a bit less recline, yet still "fast"; and/or 2) do any of you 700 owners change to wider tires (swap wheels) when you're doing rides that are either more casual or where you know the roads are going to be less than smooth?

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
JimFPU
Five Star Member

RBENT member, now in
Virginia.  I miss
Texas!

Reply #31 - Aug 8th, 2016, 12:33pm

I agree the ride on my 700 can be 'rough' at times, especially after the fully suspended Quest.  But, I don't change tires and all that like some.  I ride the skinny's all the time.  The one thing is after the Quest: I 'feel' faster...might just be that I can see the ground again, or the rough feel of the road.  But they're both great for me!

'13 Bluevelo carbon Quest QB 74 - The Flaming Eyeball
'12 ICE Sprint X 26

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_cUvLNb9JJ6UAQkw7KYDQw

Store: https://flaming-eyeball-graphics.square.site
WWW   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #32 - Aug 8th, 2016, 7:40pm

I can't deny the harshness of the ride on the 700.  That's the reason I use a seat pad on mine.  The rid is improved noticeably with it.  I also run a 28-622 on the back.  Other than going tubeless, I wouldn't recommend much change in the tires for the 700.  Reviews suggest the new VTX and the Carbontrikes have a smoother ride than the 700,  but either of them cost more than a custom seat pad.  Were I starting over, I might have chosen the Expedition instead.  The mote upright seat is easier on the neck, and the wider wheels allow selection of smoother riding tires, but you still have to search hard to find good rolling tires.  The weight penalty is not too bad.  It boils down to the question, do you want a fast trike, or a comfy one.  I guarantee on smooth, flat pavement, even I can smoke it on the old 700, and in reasonable comfort.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #33 - Aug 8th, 2016, 9:56pm

The previous owner put 35s all around on my 700.  Since I have not ridden with the skinnies I can not say more soft or not.  I will say it is still a bit jarring on rough sections.  I will also say I am definitely slower on the trike than on my high racer but some of that is due to a lower level of training this year.  As for the next level trike the 559 might be an option although it sits higher than the expedition but the seat recline is also adjustable.  I do not remember if it will match the expedition on recline.

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2016, 9:57pm by Mdicke »  

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
esbee

rbent member

Reply #34 - Aug 9th, 2016, 9:45am

is the cat ok?
Susan in Paris
 Smiley Smiley

Susan In Paris (Texas, that is!)
Email WWW   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Aug 9th, 2016, 10:46am

You could always consider an ICE Sprint 26 with full suspension. Put the skinniest, highest pressure tires on it that will fit and let the suspension smooth out the ride while you fly.

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #36 - Aug 10th, 2016, 7:17am

That's what Dave Rothgeb rides, out in Portland.

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #37 - Aug 10th, 2016, 7:42am

Took the 700 out to the GDB Mesquite ride last night...  The "fast" group tends to roll at 18-22 mph, similiar to the Airport ride, but Mesquite has got more hills to climb, and almost no stoplights -- so this was ~16 miles of nonstop keeping up, out to the 7-11 on Cartwright.

Frankly, this is the hardest I've worked on the Mesquite ride in a LONG time -- it felt more like a 16 mile time trial!  But, I kept up...

Observations --  

1) the 700 coasts downhill at essentially the same speed at the DF riders do -- so the three wheels and perhaps additional wind resistance definitely make it slower than the Xstream in that regard...  I easily outcoast the others when on the Xstream. However, I hit 37mph on the Barnes Bridge downhill, and the steering was rock solid.

2) When putting power to the pedals during hill climbing, sitting up in a "crunch" position greatly reduces the pedal steer effect.

3) Again, I had essentially no mental concerns about road hazards causing a wreck.

4) Riding the 700 in a group gives me an excellent view of DF riders' calves   Smiley

By the time we got to the 7-11, I was tired -- the ride back was at a more casual pace.

Here is the route, and speed/elevation tracking for the segment out to the 7-11:

Compare that elevation map to that of the Airport Ride -- you'll also notice many more stoplight stops on the Airport Ride.

It was an interesting challenge, keeping up with the group -- I doubt I would have been able to, on a slower machine.

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2016, 7:43am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #38 - Aug 10th, 2016, 8:05am

Utah Trikes is having a sale on the Trisled Rotovelo. $1000 off the standard model and $2000 off the EV (electric assist).

IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #39 - Aug 10th, 2016, 8:07am

Paul, I don't get a "pedal, steer effect" on my 700. I have never had to crunch up to put power to the pedals. Maybe it's the ultra skinny front tires or something slightly out of adjustment on that trike. Of course, I use the big ring and shift down in the back if necessary when climbing easy hills. I use the middle ring on steeper hills. That may be the difference on my trike.

I have often wished to try the trike on that ride but was certain I wouldn't be able to keep up on the climbs. Seeing that you had to employ your best effort, I now know it would not go well for me.

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #40 - Aug 10th, 2016, 9:57am

I can ride that 700 (and my carbon trike) without hands for quite a distance and it will stay steady in track ..  I also show 0.01% deviation on the garmin "cycle dynamics" pedal power  meters over any given ride . So I'm blaming the engine   Grin

Quote from square_corners on Aug 10th, 2016, 8:07am:
Paul, I don't get a "pedal, steer effect" on my 700. I have never had to crunch up to put power to the pedals. Maybe it's the ultra skinny front tires or something slightly out of adjustment on that trike. Of course, I use the big ring and shift down in the back if necessary when climbing easy hills. I use the middle ring on steeper hills. That may be the difference on my trike.

I have often wished to try the trike on that ride but was certain I wouldn't be able to keep up on the climbs. Seeing that you had to employ your best effort, I now know it would not go well for me.

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2016, 4:39pm by MrWizard »  
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Aug 10th, 2016, 12:54pm

Figured if I responded and pointed a finger at a potential trike issue, Mr Wizard would respond  Smiley
Really didn't think there could be an alignment issue or any deviation given that it is Mr Wizard's trike so I agree there's only one possibility remaining - the engine!

Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #42 - Aug 10th, 2016, 4:41pm

Well paul might have whacked it into something, I did witness him riding over cobblestones, or simply by carrying it in a prius could have had negative effects so you really don't know.

Quote from square_corners on Aug 10th, 2016, 12:54pm:
Figured if I responded and pointed a finger at a potential trike issue, Mr Wizard would respond  Smiley
Really didn't think there could be an alignment issue or any deviation given that it is Mr Wizard's trike so I agree there's only one possibility remaining - the engine!

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #43 - Aug 10th, 2016, 7:58pm

Doug, you and Daniel are very experienced cyclists.  When I loaned Daniel my 700 last year (yes, I'm the guilty one) I commented at the start that the pedal steer would go away with practice.  By five miles into the ride, I was following him up a hill and watching him: no pedal steer.  What took me months to tame took him a couple of miles.  I also noticed no sign of the rear flexibility Bob Wand complained about with Daniel's new 700.  So it's apparent to me it's all about technique.  Paul, being in test mode, hasn't concentrated on technique yet.  If he starts spending time on a fast tadpole, he'll figure it out.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #44 - Aug 10th, 2016, 8:47pm

I know -- I'm just teasing paul  ..   I can't speak for Daniel  but i had a UCI coach that believed in training on rollers . every practice session before a ride we'd do 20-30 minutes on the blasted things.  IMO nothing teaches you a smooth pedal stroke faster than fear of falling and loosing skin

Quote from rmillay on Aug 10th, 2016, 7:58pm:
Doug, you and Daniel are very experienced cyclists.  When I loaned Daniel my 700 last year (yes, I'm the guilty one) I commented at the start that the pedal steer would go away with practice.  By five miles into the ride, I was following him up a hill and watching him: no pedal steer.  What took me months to tame took him a couple of miles.  I also noticed no sign of the rear flexibility Bob Wand complained about with Daniel's new 700.  So it's apparent to me it's all about technique.  Paul, being in test mode, hasn't concentrated on technique yet.  If he starts spending time on a fast tadpole, he'll figure it out.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print