Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 14th, 2024, 8:37am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No Country for Old Men (Read 1700 times)
reever

rbent member

No Country for Old Men
Oct 26th, 2015, 12:30pm

Three races started in Alpine simultaneously Saturday morning--a 1000 miler, a 383 miler, and a 208 miler (which was really a 196 miler). I was in the 208 that went from Alpine to Lajitas and back. We started in the dark, and luckily I was able to start when one of my three headlights worked--ugh! Up through the mountains we went and into the fog and rain from that hurricane that hit Mexico. Downhills were very scary with wet roads and gusty sidewinds at 40+ mph. I literally screamed at the bottom of some of the hills thinking I was going down. This was made worse by my eyewear fogging up so I had to take them off. I found that raindrops begin to sting at 33mph and hurt at 35mph in tightly squinted eyes.  I had to walk my bike up two of the hills going down to Lajitas. I was hoping some powerful drug lord down there would see my bike and just steal it from me. But, I made the turn and headed back. The rain stopped, but it continued to be coold. I finally stopped ten miles from the finish and put on a wool flannel shirt that I could not even button up because my fingers wouldn't work. I reached 47mph coming down the mountain to finish the race. Incredibly scary since my headlight didn't work and I would work my way out of my follow vehicle's headlight beams going around curves. Unbelievable! Finished in 14 hours 14 minutes. My wife and family were able to follow the race online with live stats like elevation, current speed, average speed, place, etc. Dex Tooke, the race director, did the best job of anybody I know of organizing this HUGE bike race. As a matter of fact, the 1000 mile race is still going on!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2015, 12:42pm by reever »  

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: No Country for Old Men
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2015, 3:38pm

Wow - really cool.  What an accomplishment!!!!

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2015, 7:33pm

Way to go Reever.  Congrats on pushing through.

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2015, 11:33pm

Excellent! good for you!   I presume you found those little "peaks" I was talking about earlier ..  

How were the road conditions otherwise?

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2015, 9:55am

Mr. Wizard, the roads themselves were in good shape--no potholes, cracks or rough spots. The only bad thing was the pooling of water and water running across the road. I'll also tell you guys this. On the way down to Lajitas I had my seat all the way reclined, thinking aerodynamically. That absolutely killed me on the hills! On the way back I moved the seat more upright and also moved the "J" handlebars up to give me more maneuverability, and the difficulty climbing those hills lessened a lot. I don't think I'll go extremely reclined again unless I'm on a perfectly flat course.

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2015, 11:26am

Sounds like such an adventure .. I am so doing this ride next year ..     Just need to find some suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H volunteers that want to follow me for the 1000 mile route

[quote author=re

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2015, 11:30am by MrWizard »  
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2015, 5:36pm

That's a seriously impressive race with solid numbers!  I'm impressed and can't wait to maybe team up next year!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print