Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 10:27pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HHH 2015 -  Who is going? (Read 10425 times)
reever

rbent member

Re: HHH 2015 -  Who is going?
Reply #15 - Aug 19th, 2015, 8:13am

Hey Phantom, it's just my opinion, but I think the HHH is the best century in the country. The start is no problem, with the tandems and recumbents released before the huge masses. It's wonderful to be in a ride/race in which you are NEVER by yourself--always someone to catch out in front of you. The trick to the start is to get there EARLY to get a spot in that place up front with all of your recumbent brethren/sisteren. Hope to share a laid back pace line with you there!!!

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Aug 19th, 2015, 8:34am

I'm hoping for a friendly tandem going just a fraction faster than me, so I can sit in behind them (after asking of course), so we can roll fast, for as long as possible!  DF Tandems make such a lovely large hole in the air!

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #17 - Aug 19th, 2015, 11:10am

Quote:
I hear of a bent cage at the start, any truth to this - what is it how does one get in it

Yes, it's true - just a section up front where they let recumbents go first.   I've always been with my DF buddies, so I've never had the cage experience.   I won't be with them this year, so I'll try to go to the cage.   I think you just have to show up and if you have a recumbent, they'll let you in.

Quote:
Just how ugly is the first 0-5 miles with 10,000 bikes rolling at the same time

I've done this ride 3 times now and don't remember thinking anything except "wow, we're going really fast".    Those who aren't up front might have to wait a bit to get going though.   It does get very crowded at the start.   The bikes never thin out so much that you're riding alone.

Quote:
Aside from saying hey I rode hotter -n-hell is it really worth it to go?  After all you can ride a century anywhere

If you want to ride a fast century and don't mind crowds, it's great.   If you want scenery, go somewhere else.  Smiley

Quote:
If I were to go I would drive out the morning of the ride, is this not a good idea?  Google maps says its only 1.5 hours from home

I think it'll be fine.   In the past, I stayed at a hotel in Burkburnett and drove in the morning of.  I didn't have trouble finding a parking spot.

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Aug 19th, 2015, 11:45am

I;d recommend driving out the night before even if you have to sleep in your car in the main parking lot.  That lot fills up fast, and the ride starts at 7:05am.  Be prepared for long lines at the few portable toilets at the start/assembly area.

The cage is real, and is the best place to start.  You are the lead out group, no delays, and it;s full of bents, trikes, velos, and tandems. Apparently the organizers feel it is safer for us bents to start up front, which is fine by me!

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Patti
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Aug 19th, 2015, 11:55am

Quote from Phantom Rider on Aug 19th, 2015, 7:43am:
9 days away, never been there, never done that.  So enlighten me, cuz I'm intrigued by the concept.

I hear of a bent cage at the start, any truth to this - what is it how does one get in it

Just how ugly is the first 0-5 miles with 10,000 bikes rolling at the same time

Aside from saying hey I rode hotter -n-hell is it really worth it to go?  After all you can ride a century anywhere

If I were to go I would drive out the morning of the ride, is this not a good idea?  Google maps says its only 1.5 hours from home

Last year, starting with the other recumbents, it was not bad at all. We got quite a way out before the bulk of the pack caught us. My first year, I missed the recumbent start and was in the middle of the crush. It was pretty scary as there was a section of very rough pavement about 2 miles from the start. Water bottles began flying off of bikes. Since it was early in the ride, they were full and became nasty hazards in the road for cyclists who couldn't see them before they were on top of them and had no place to go to avoid hitting them. I was on my trike and was able to grab some and throw them out of the road but others caused some nasty accidents. My suggestion is either go early with the recumbents or hold back a bit at the start and let the crazies have the accidents before you get there.

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2015, 11:58am by Patti »  
  IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #20 - Aug 19th, 2015, 1:23pm

Just curious - how much earlier do they let the recumbents and tandems start?

As an aside, I just noticed that I got a red "you spelled it wrong" squiggly line when I typed the word "recumbents" above.  Kinda funny considering what website I typed it into!

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Aug 19th, 2015, 1:55pm

I havnt been to HnH100 in several years.  Is the recumbent cage seen in here  the background?  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
Ldoc1234

rbent member

Reply #22 - Aug 19th, 2015, 10:53pm

Phantom,to answer all your questions, yes it is worth going as an experience like none other. However, for me, I really enjoy the friday afternoon before. We usually go down from Dallas leaving at about 12.30pm. The bike expo in the exhibition hall is huge with everything imaginable to buy or look at for cyclists. Then the criterion races at about 5.30 or 6 pm are amazing to watch sitting on the sidewalk as they fly by feet away from you. The whole atmosphere in the town is like nothing you experience at any other ride.
The problem driving down in the am is that you need to be on the start line by at least 6.30 am, after finding parking etc. You get into the 'cage' just by showing up and they guide you to the front.The recumbents and tandems start in the front of the whole pack and have a 10 minute start on everyone else except for the pace groups. This gives you time to get out on the road before the fast 100 milers catch up with you. This makes for an easy start wthout too much chaos. I am on a trike and do about a 15 mph average so the fast riders started passing me at about the 7 to 10 mile mark due to their slow start. Im sure being in the pack would be tough with 14,000 of your best friends.. I agree that there are always riders around whether you are slow or fast or whether you do the 100k, 75 mile or hundred mile route.  

Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Aug 23rd, 2015, 9:00am

Quote from MrOverdressed on Aug 19th, 2015, 1:55pm:
I havnt been to HnH100 in several years.  Is the recumbent cage seen in here  the background?
http://mediaassets.timesrecordnews.com/photo/2014/03/14/HHH_2013TH_9_3448757_ver 1.0_640_480.jpg

I think I'm in that picture!

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Aug 24th, 2015, 12:14pm

Hey everyone going to HHH---let's all wear our R-Bent jerseys.  I think it would be great to represent our group and let all know, we're loud and proud funny bikes. Smiley

IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Aug 24th, 2015, 3:36pm

That's a good thought Dianne.  I'm not sure what jersey I will wear, but I do have two RBENT choices...

Schlitter Encore
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #26 - Aug 25th, 2015, 7:33pm

I see me and Bud in that photo!  I like the idea about the RBENT jerseys.  But......since I changed the "BACCHETTA" decals on my Corsa to ones that say "U.S.MARINE CORPS", I can't resist wearing one of my Marine Corps jerseys every time I ride.

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #27 - Aug 25th, 2015, 8:42pm

I'm out.  Have fun y'all.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #28 - Aug 25th, 2015, 8:48pm

Man, that bums me out, Greg! I was really looking forward to hanging out with you before and after the race.......didn't really think I could hang with you during the race! Hope your school year starts well.....Oh, I got my seat bag from BentUp today.

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
jdorlon

rbent member

Reply #29 - Aug 26th, 2015, 10:31am

I'll be wearing a HHH jersey.  I really like the looks of them this year.

http://store.hh100.org/images/default/Primal%202015%20Short%20Sleeved.jpg

John D.
Cruzbike Vendetta 2.0
Cruzbike Silvio 1.5
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print