Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 7:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Out testing new home made body sock! (Read 10699 times)
Bud_Bent

Re: Out testing new home made body sock!
Reply #30 - Apr 24th, 2015, 8:29am

There's a reason most of the top pro riders look like concentration camp survivors. The least amount of muscle mass you can have without hurting your cardiopulmonary capacity is the weight at which you will be fastest. I remember reading about how when Greg LeMond's family came to visit him while he was training in Europe, they thought he was terribly ill, he was so thin.

But looks can be deceiving. One of the fastest riders I met in FWBA is built like a weightlifter. And I've been unable to keep up with more than one obese rider on club rides. Because it's the heart and lungs that matter most, you just can't tell how fast someone is on a bike by looking at them.

And as we obsess over every bit of bike weight we can eliminate, and aerodynamic advantage we can gain, we get reminders every now and then about how much more important the rider's ability is, over and above all that. Greg and I got one of those reminders years ago on a summertime 200k when we rode with a rider who was training for Leadville. Sitting completely upright on a mountain bike, and running big knobby tires which made an alarming racket rolling down the road, he easily rode off and left us behind.

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2015, 8:33am by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #31 - Apr 24th, 2015, 8:46am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Apr 24th, 2015, 8:29am:
There's a reason most of the top pro riders look like concentration camp survivors. The least amount of muscle mass you can have without hurting your cardiopulmonary capacity is the weight at which you will be fastest.

But looks can be deceiving. One of the fastest riders I met in FWBA is built like a weightlifter. And I've been unable to keep up with more than one obese rider on club rides. Because it's the heart and lungs that matter most, you just can't tell how fast someone is on a bike by looking at them.

And as we obsess over every bit of bike weight we can eliminate and aerodynamic advantage we can gain, we get reminders every now and then about how much more important the rider's ability is, over and above all that. Greg and I got one of those reminders years ago on a summertime 200k when we rode with a rider who was training for Leadville. Sitting completely upright on a mountain bike, and running big knobby tires which made an alarming racket rolling down the road, he easily rode off and left us behind.

I agree with all that Bud. But no matter the shape or size, it still takes strength along with cardio. You need oxygen to feed the muscles and strength for the force. I know a leg or arm size does not make any difference, but Greg does have some monster looking legs! I too had an experience like the one you mentioned. I was riding as fast as I could when an overweight guy on a too small mtb flew by me. He had to turn his knees about 45 degrees to the side to pedal. His tires were underinflated and his plumbers butt was hanging out, but try as I may, I could not catch him. About 5 miles down the road he stopped and I pulled up beside him. I asked him were he was going and he said he had just rode 20 miles to go ride the really steep mountain bike trails. It is at a place called Klondike Park and it has trails over 22% grade and about 150 feet tall. I watched him as he beat all the skinny young bloods. He must have outweighed everyone by at least 100 pounds.  

Got to ride before the storms hit.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #32 - Apr 24th, 2015, 8:58am

I'm going to try to bridge a gap here. As I do a months-long build up to an event, I begin by spinning in a certain gear--gear X. If I go higher than gear X my RPMs drop too low. As the months pass and I continue training, I notice that I can now hit that next gear--gear X+1--and maintain my RPMs. Now spinning at the same RPM in a new higher gear nets me more speed. But what allowed me to handle pushing that higher gear? Was it cardiopulmonary, or was it muscular? I would say it is an increase in muscular strength. BUT it came along with an increase in CP strength and efficiency at the same time. They are connected at the hip with successful bikers.
And from what I see, those professional cyclists do look like concentration camp survivors from the waist up. Their legs tell a different story.

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2015, 1:37pm by reever »  

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #33 - Apr 24th, 2015, 5:27pm

Well,  I consulted coaches Coggan and Allan, who are literally the guys who wrote the book on racing with power, and they were kind enough to respond to me.  They more or less agree with Bud (and myself a bit).  So strength can be a factor over a very short time think 200m sprint) , but any real distance negates strength.

Their direct quote:
Strength, force, and power are all different things. You also need to consider the duration over which power must be sustained.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #34 - Apr 24th, 2015, 5:29pm

Quote from reever on Apr 24th, 2015, 8:58am:
But what allowed me to handle pushing that higher gear?

Cardiopulmonary improvement, and nothing else, no matter how much leg strength you may have gained. I don't know any other way to say it. Our limits on the bike for more than a short sprint are cardiopulmonary limits, not muscle limits.

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2015, 5:32pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #35 - Apr 24th, 2015, 6:14pm

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #36 - Apr 24th, 2015, 6:25pm

Here is another one:http://www.usacycling.org/a-case-for-strength-training-for-cyclists-a-practical- view-from-a-cycling-coach.htm

I have the cyclist bible and several other great books. I think I will believe them. You don't get cardio without gaining strength.

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #37 - Apr 24th, 2015, 6:32pm

In response to the assertion that increased speed comes only from increases in cardiopulmonary efficiency.....

I guess that's why Kenya and Ethiopia dominate the cycling world like they do with their off the charts cardiopulmonary capacity, or why Michael Phelps would be the Las Vegas bookie's favorite to be the Tour champ without ever practicing bicycle riding because of his maxVO2. You can't just be a one note Nelly, here. Muscles move pedals--hearts and lungs support them.

There is a difference between strength, force and power. Strength allows for greater force. Power is defined as work/time, or the rate at which work is done. We choose how that work is done by choosing a low gear and high spin rate or a high gear and a low spin rate. The former allows our hearts to do lots of work and gives our legs a break by allowing each pedal stroke to require less force, and the latter transfers the work load to our legs, which tire many times faster when they are required to supply large amounts of force per stroke. I think we mostly agree that CP carries the day in sustained efforts. Where we part company is the belief that leg muscles do not gain strength when exercised. I believe they do, and that their increased strength along with increased CP capacity leads to more sustained speed.

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2015, 6:45pm by reever »  

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #38 - Apr 24th, 2015, 7:33pm

Quote from reever on Apr 24th, 2015, 6:32pm:
In response to the assertion that increased speed comes only from increases in cardiopulmonary efficiency.....

I guess that's why Kenya and Ethiopia dominate the cycling world like they do with their off the charts cardiopulmonary capacity, or why Michael Phelps would be the Las Vegas bookie's favorite to be the Tour champ without ever practicing bicycle riding because of his maxVO2. You can't just be a one note Nelly, here. Muscles move pedals--hearts and lungs support them.

There is a difference between strength, force and power. Strength allows for greater force. Power is defined as work/time, or the rate at which work is done. We choose how that work is done by choosing a low gear and high spin rate or a high gear and a low spin rate. The former allows our hearts to do lots of work and gives our legs a break by allowing each pedal stroke to require less force, and the latter transfers the work load to our legs, which tire many times faster when they are required to supply large amounts of force per stroke. I think we mostly agree that CP carries the day in sustained efforts. Where we part company is the belief that leg muscles do not gain strength when exercised. I believe they do, and that their increased strength along with increased CP capacity leads to more sustained speed.

Reever, you said what I have tried to say. But you are way more eloquent about it than I am. You can not increase cardio without a gain in strength! Their is endurance strength & sprint strength. But you have to have strength or fall over. I am done with this subject. Just think, all this discussion because of a silly comment about the size of someone's legs!! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #39 - Apr 24th, 2015, 8:25pm

I hear you jrob! I'm laughing our loud right now as I read your post. Much ado about next to nothing.......

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #40 - Apr 24th, 2015, 9:38pm

Quote from reever on Apr 24th, 2015, 8:25pm:
I hear you jrob! I'm laughing our loud right now as I read your post. Much ado about next to nothing.......

Yeap! I know this word is not politically correct, but what the hey!!! Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2015, 9:39pm by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #41 - Apr 24th, 2015, 10:15pm

Trained muscles are more efficient at the task they are trained for. If that's what you're considering stronger, then OK. But that's such a tiny part of speed, compared to cardiopulmonary. When Lance Armstrong decided to cheat to make himself faster, did he use anabolic steroids to make his legs stronger, or did he blood dope to improve his cardiopulmonary function?  

I usually refrain from arguing in this forum, for just this reason. It's a waste of time. But when posted information gets this bad in this forum that I moderate, I really have a hard time remaining silent. For all of you newbies reading this, never believe that leg muscle strength gains will do much for making you faster on the bike, because they won't.

With that, I'm locking this thread.

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2015, 11:47pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print