Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 5:55am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Out testing new home made body sock! (Read 10694 times)
Bud_Bent

Re: Out testing new home made body sock!
Reply #15 - Apr 21st, 2015, 8:06pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 21st, 2015, 6:34am:
Greg, I can see the reason why you are so fast from the picture. Your legs look like a tree! I lost over 5 inches when my legs went into atrophy from taken Prednisone  for 3 years, when you shouldn't take it for more than 6 weeks. It was either that are not breathe. But hey, I am still here. I do squats, leg curls, step ups, lunges, and climb hills a lot, and my legs are just now stating to grow again. Probably will never be the same, but what can you do? At least I am getting faster!

Speed on a bike isn't about leg strength, not even a little bit. It's about heart and lungs. Leg strength will help in a short sprint or climb, but that's all. When you go into oxygen deficit after a few seconds, it's all about heart and lungs.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Apr 21st, 2015, 8:57pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 21st, 2015, 3:59pm:
I truly understand.  My RA affects me in much the same way.  RA often attacks muscles as well as joints.  My eyes too, actually.  Used to wrestle, do martial arts, race bmx as a kid, and power lift.   My arms were big.  Now they won't grow no matter what.  Legs still respond to maintain size, which truthfully I could do without.   I could also do without the fat, but yanno.....

Greg, I can see the reason why you are so fast from the picture. Your legs look like a tree! I lost over 5 inches when my legs went into atrophy from taken Prednisone  for 3 years, when you shouldn't take it for more than 6 weeks. It was either that are not breathe. But hey, I am still here. I do squats, leg curls, step ups, lunges, and climb hills a lot, and my legs are just now stating to grow again. Probably will never be the same, but what can you do? At least I am getting faster!

Unfortunately, I to have rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. I played college football, power lifting and Olympic weightlifting, Golden Gloves, karate, aikido, plus 38 years as a structural Iron Worker. You can tell how dumb I am, it takes me two weeks just to watch 60 minutes! Wished I had listened to the old timers about taking care of my body.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Apr 21st, 2015, 9:25pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Apr 21st, 2015, 8:06pm:

Speed on a bike isn't about leg strength, not even a little bit. It's about heart and lungs. Leg strength will help in a short sprint or climb, but that's all. When you go into oxygen deficit after a few seconds, it's all about heart and lungs.

I agree Bud. Sprinting and climbing hills does take leg strength. And here in MO you had better have leg strength, because it ain't flat. And to maintain 30+ mph for a mile takes both strength and stamina, something I think Greg has! So, I think leg strength has a lot to do with speed. For long distance speed, you do need more cardio. But if two riders are racing, let us say a 10 lap race, and they are even coming to the finish line, the guy with the sprinters legs will win if everything else is equal. I know quiet a bit about lack of oxygen, I have had 2 lung diseases all my life. And now I have COPD. Before any ride, I have to take two puffs from my inhaler. That is why I have to work so hard to improve my lactate threshold.

Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Reply #18 - Apr 21st, 2015, 10:23pm

OK, Bud, cardio without leg strength will let you piddle around for miles and miles at low speed.  Without leg strength, you won't go fast except down hill, and you had better live at the top of the hill, unless it has a T-bar.  The fast folks have great cardio and great leg strength.

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #19 - Apr 21st, 2015, 11:11pm

I find the truth to be somewhere in the middle.  I get a lot of speed and can put a hurt on people with sheer strength.  That pop to get up to the top of the hill or perhaps get/stay in a draft can be an advantage.  But, if you do that more times than you can recover from, you suffer mightily.  If I'd done any of that at Bessie's Creek I'd have been screwed long before the 12 was up.  As it was, I had a good result with gas left in the tank.  The aerobic capacity aids in the recovery.  One other place that I think strength is helpful is with cadence.  I can get into a bigger gear, use pure strength to get it going, but once I have it spinning the amount of power input needed to keep it spinning deceases dramatically.  That 300 watt initial effort quickly becomes a 130 watt effort.  I can tell you my quads are a different shape after 4 months of solid training.....  

Quote from rmillay on Apr 21st, 2015, 10:23pm:
OK, Bud, cardio without leg strength will let you piddle around for miles and miles at low speed.  Without leg strength, you won't go fast except down hill, and you had better live at the top of the hill, unless it has a T-bar.  The fast folks have great cardio and great leg strength.  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Apr 22nd, 2015, 6:06am

Quote from rmillay on Apr 21st, 2015, 10:23pm:

I agree rmillay. And Greg is also right about aerobic capacity. But saying leg strength has little to do with speed is a contradiction in its on self. You need both strength and cardio. You need the leg strength to get to speed and cardio to keep it there. And I stand by my original statement that Greg's legs look like a tree trunk! Smiley Then you look at Warren Beauchamp's legs and wonder how he is so fast. Believe me, he has tremendous leg strength as does Charlie Ollinger, and Jim and Maria Parker. And you are not going to win a race without being able to sprint, which is leg strength!  Smiley And you can't win a long race on shear strength, you need great cardio. Before I started getting serious with training, I tried riding big gears to go fast. I would wear out fast. Now I use lower gearing and spin faster. I am getting better cardio, but also I have built up my leg strength for when I need to climb those hills and sprint. So I agree you need cardio to last, but you also need leg strength. You can stick a fork in me now and roll me over, I am done! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Monkeywrangler22
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Apr 22nd, 2015, 7:08am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Apr 21st, 2015, 8:06pm:

I'd have to disagree some Bud.  Lifting (deadlifts and squats) this past winter has helped me immensely with my on-bike speed, despite taking 8wks off the bike in the lovely Feb-Mar weather here.  Now, I still can't sprint worth a tinkers dam on the bent, but I can sprint if I am on the DF (well for me is it a sprint...)

The Monkeywrangler's blog
Schlitter Encore
Fisher HKEK - Spec. Roubaix
Seavo - Serenity
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #22 - Apr 22nd, 2015, 12:22pm

Muscle size is no indication of strength.  I know female power lifters who you'd never realize could dead lift 400 pounds.  The ability to gain muscle size is largely genetic.  Strength isn't.  You can influence that a lot with hard work.  Arnold Schwarzenegger was famous for having puny looking calves on the bodybuilding community back in the day.  But he wasn't weak!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #23 - Apr 22nd, 2015, 8:50pm

Seems like this little thread is all about assertion and then disagreement. I've got to throw my two cents worth in here. Muscle strength is 100% related to its cross-sectional area. Once you pass puberty you are stuck with the number of muscle (and fat) cells that you have at that point. When you stress them, they respond by getting thicker. That's called hypertrophy. Increasing the number of cells is called hyperplasia and that just don't happen with muscle or fat cells--the ones you've got just get bigger or smaller. What body builders build is blood flow through their muscles along with some hypertrophy. That's why Hans and Franz always say they want to "pump you up." They can pump up the volume of their muscles by increasing the blood flowing through their capillary beds. The work they do is great for muscular endurance, but not too much for cardiovascular endurance, since they work small muscle groups at a time.

I have a friend who has a recumbent. When I got my Musashi we went for a ride in the neighborhood. He asked me if mine was really fast. I said I didn't know.Before I knew it he said, "Ready GO!" and started sprinting away for a block to the next stop sign. That was his measure of if a bike is fast. Since he squats 475 pounds, he will cook me on any short sprint like that, but I think we all know what would happen even in twenty miles.

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #24 - Apr 23rd, 2015, 8:37pm

Everyone has enough leg strength to be a fast rider. So, I repeat, speed on a bike isn't about leg strength at all. Even a short sprint or climb at a hard effort will put you into oxygen deficit. Speed on a bike is about cardiopulmonary function. Period. Post whatever other BS you want, but it won't change that.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #25 - Apr 23rd, 2015, 8:54pm

Wow, Bud! Really? BS???

Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #26 - Apr 23rd, 2015, 9:34pm

Sorry,  but that's just how it is. Maintaining enough power to move yourself on a bicycle at speed for any length of time is a function of heart and lungs. Cardiopulmonary function per rider weight is the biggest indicator of rider speed of all. (That's why slender riders tend to be faster; their cardiopulmonary function to body weight ratio tends to be higher.) Things like aerodynamics, bike weight, rolling resistance, and pedaling efficiency matter, but are much less important.

On longer rides, the other factor that becomes important is nutrition. Even the most slender of riders has enough body fat to power themselves for days, so those who can use fat efficiently can maintain more speed longer than those who must depend more on metabolizing carbohydrates.  

But if you study this stuff, you'll read a long time before you find much about leg strength. It truly is not much of a factor, unless you have something terribly wrong with your legs.

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2015, 10:14pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #27 - Apr 23rd, 2015, 10:21pm

I was a little put back at the tone of your text, mostly because I was agreeing with your point. My buddy who can leg press 475 pounds is a very weak rider. In a mile he is in oxygen debt and his ride is over if he's trying to stick with me.

That's the thing about riding versus running. When riding the effort required to maintain good speed on a flat is minimal because we (especially recumbents) are so efficient. In running when you go into oxygen debt it is a serious matter. We can go into little debts and pay them off over and over again on a bike ride--if we have our hearts and lungs in shape for it. That comes from spinning at high RPMs.

Now can a guy with legs like trees succeed in the bike world? The answer is.....go pick a fight with Greg out there on the roads. He uses his trees to do some serious beat down.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #28 - Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:04pm

No way, Jose.  Bud‘s a sneaky dude.  I ain't messing with him.  He's burned me up or pulled me so I would survive to the end of the ride more times than I can count.

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2015, 11:05pm by aikigreg »  

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #29 - Apr 24th, 2015, 8:07am

Quote from Bud_Bent on Apr 23rd, 2015, 8:37pm:
Everyone has enough leg strength to be a fast rider. So, I repeat, speed on a bike isn't about leg strength at all. Even a short sprint or climb at a hard effort will put you into oxygen deficit. Speed on a bike is about cardiopulmonary function. Period. Post whatever other BS you want, but it won't change that.

You can call it BS all you want to, but it still takes strength!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are just splitting hairs. I do agree you have to have good cardio, but saying leg strength has nothing to do with it is really BS! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print