Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 5:51pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Out testing new home made body sock! (Read 10680 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Out testing new home made body sock!
Apr 20th, 2015, 9:26am

It is cold, windy, and wet this morning. In the 40's with a wind chill around 38. I just finished my prototype body sock for the Phantom. If it performs well, I will remake it and use Velcro and zippers instead of clips and springs! If it works, film at eleven! Darn, I'll have to stretch the fabric and climb in from the bottom to get in it.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2015, 5:07pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Ot testing new home made body sock!
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2015, 10:46am

WOW!!! Does it work? YES! I am going to attach it now. I would say it gives 3-4 mph. Down wind about 8-9 mph. The wind is 18 mph gusting to 29 mph. A little dicey with the cross wind. Just have to be ready to lean that way! I will only use it in cold weather and on the Saturday morning road bike 30+ mile rides!!!! Smiley I think I am going to give them fits. They are already talking about how I did 2 days ago. I can hardly wait until I spring this on them!  Smiley  Smiley Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2015, 10:48am by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
BentTrekker

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2015, 11:31am

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 20th, 2015, 10:46am:
WOW!!! Does it work? YES!

Wow!  Great Job, Jerry!  Looks like you're going to have a pretty fast ride going on there Cheesy

Matt Bailey
OWN: Optima High Baron
SOLD: Catrike Expedition, Catrike 700, Catrike Pocket, Bacchetta CA2, Lightning Stealth, TerraTrike Tandem Pro.
Email WWW BentTrekker   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2015, 12:30pm

F-15?  Mig 23?  What do we call it???

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2015, 1:20pm

Kinda looks like a big flashlight...     Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2015, 3:06pm

Looks just like a Bic lighter to me. Light'm up Jerry!  Smiley

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2015, 3:31pm

Thanks fellows. I think I'll call it "The Big Black Bic flashlight-F62. The F for fat, 62 for age and apparently IQ! Smiley I think instead of Velcro, I'll use some 1/4" x 20 gauge aluminum strips and either small bolts or toggle clamps to attach it. I tend to be a bit rough with Velcro, as in pulling it apart. I will order some lighter color fabric also for warmer weather. Thinking about a low racer for next year and keep the Phantom to train and ride every day. Anybody have an opinion on a good low racer? Smiley

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2015, 4:04pm

Well, the nocom and the morciglio are the fastest, but expensive or hard to come by.  The baron, the performer, and others are cheaper, but heavier or need fiddling with.  I think the best option is the vk2.  Comfortable, light and stupid fast.  There's one on brol last I looked.  Come try mine out if you're close to my inseam.  

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 20th, 2015, 3:31pm:
Thanks fellows. I think I'll call it "The Big Black Bic flashlight-F62. The F for fat, 62 for age and apparently IQ! Smiley I think instead of Velcro, I'll use some 1/4" x 20 gauge aluminum strips and either small bolts or toggle clamps to attach it. I tend to be a bit rough with Velcro, as in pulling it apart. I will order some lighter color fabric also for warmer weather. Thinking about a low racer for next year and keep the Phantom to train and ride every day. Anybody have an opinion on a good low racer? Smiley

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2015, 5:07pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 20th, 2015, 4:04pm:
Well, the nocom and the morciglio are the fastest, but expensive or hard to come by.  The baron, the performer, and others are cheaper, but heavier or need fiddling with.  I think the best option is the vk2.  Comfortable, light and stupid fast.  There's one on brol last I looked.  Come try mine out if you're close to my inseam.  

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 20th, 2015, 3:31pm:

I will be there in a couple of weeks! Thanks.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Out testing new home made body sock!
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2015, 6:35pm

I just watched some vk2's on youtube. They climb real well and man are they fast! Maybe my next bike!!!! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2015, 7:08pm

Here's my fat arse on mine from the other day.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2015, 8:35pm

Love the glasses!

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2015, 6:34am

Greg, I can see the reason why you are so fast from the picture. Your legs look like a tree! I lost over 5 inches when my legs went into atrophy from taken Prednisone  for 3 years, when you shouldn't take it for more than 6 weeks. It was either that are not breathe. But hey, I am still here. I do squats, leg curls, step ups, lunges, and climb hills a lot, and my legs are just now stating to grow again. Probably will never be the same, but what can you do? At least I am getting faster!

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2015, 2:09pm

jrobbent, Captain America would APROVE!!!  Smiley

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2015, 3:59pm

I truly understand.  My RA affects me in much the same way.  RA often attacks muscles as well as joints.  My eyes too, actually.  Used to wrestle, do martial arts, race bmx as a kid, and power lift.   My arms were big.  Now they won't grow no matter what.  Legs still respond to maintain size, which truthfully I could do without.   I could also do without the fat, but yanno.....

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 21st, 2015, 6:34am:
Greg, I can see the reason why you are so fast from the picture. Your legs look like a tree! I lost over 5 inches when my legs went into atrophy from taken Prednisone  for 3 years, when you shouldn't take it for more than 6 weeks. It was either that are not breathe. But hey, I am still here. I do squats, leg curls, step ups, lunges, and climb hills a lot, and my legs are just now stating to grow again. Probably will never be the same, but what can you do? At least I am getting faster!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print