Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 3:26am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Post/log your PRs here! (Read 32511 times)
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Post/log your PRs here!
Reply #30 - Apr 14th, 2015, 8:42pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 14th, 2015, 12:31pm:
That IS good.  No, great.  And if you're doing it on a phantom, that's smoking!  I feel you on the health stuff, believe me.  Spin is king.  I could have gone a bit faster if I'd been willing to let my cadence drop below 80, but I want.  My knees never hurt, not even the next day, thanks to high cadence.

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 14th, 2015, 7:50am:
Way to go Greg!! And I thought I was doing good with 10 miles in 32 minutes for an 18.75 average with 452 feet of climbing, a personal best! It is real good for me. I took 4 days off before yesterday and my legs felt almost young again! Grin  The end of June will be 4 years since I started back riding. I only started training in December of 2014. Even with this old body and health issues, I have gained over 4.5 mph average since December. I need to lose 20 more pounds and another year of training for holding my average for longer distances. I am going to add a body sock to the Phantom and see if that helps. I am trying to spin faster, I stay in the middle chain ring and try to spin 90-100 rpm's, sometimes faster. No more knee pain. And what a cardio workout!

I hope to keep improving my speed for longer distances. And by spinning faster instead of using a bigger gear is really helping my cardio! I'll probably will never be as fast as you or Phantom Rider, but I sure have been surprising some people. The Phantom is a lot faster with the big front fairing and long tail box. By adding a body sock I hope to pick up 1-2 more mph's. I am going to a few hpv races this summer in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, and Texas and see what the fastest bikes are. Maybe next year I'll have a new bike!  

Until I met and rode with Phantom Rider, I was just a long distance tourer. I could ride 40-80 miles a day at a steady 12-13 mph pace. Now I am obsessed with speed. I have  lot more work to do!!! I found out that I need two easy days after a hard, fast day. I may never reach my goals, but it is fun trying!

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #31 - Apr 14th, 2015, 10:14pm

There's an hpv race in Texas??  I did the Xenis hpv races a few years.  It's a blast!  If you want a car buddy to any of these, let p me know.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #32 - Apr 15th, 2015, 7:07am

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 14th, 2015, 10:14pm:
There's an hpv race in Texas??  I did the Xenis hpv races a few years.  It's a blast!  If you want a car buddy to any of these, let p me know.

https://tt24tt.com/ . I believe a certain Greg Gross and Kent Polk still holds a record there at Glen Rose! That same Greg Gross and a 4 man team also in Cleburne! I would be happy to have you as a car buddy. I'll be headed that way in September  for the Texas time trails. I think the Zenia races have been changed to this, http://www.calvinschallenge.com/ in Springfield, OH May 2nd. My phone # is sis3six-5eight3-two38one, if you would like to meet up and go there this year. Or any race, except for CA.  

Jerry

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #33 - Apr 15th, 2015, 12:29pm

Ahh, I see the confusion.  Calvin's and the TTTT are really considered "ultra" races.  Hpv races are usually recumbent only and take place on a closed course such as a raceway or velodrome.  See recumbents.com.  battle mountain is the biggest hpv race of the year.  

I had the single recumbent lap record too in Glen rose.  I may try getting it back this year.  

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 15th, 2015, 7:07am:

https://tt24tt.com/ . I believe a certain Greg Gross and Kent Polk still holds a record there at Glen Rose! That same Greg Gross and a 4 man team also in Cleburne! I would be happy to have you as a car buddy. I'll be headed that way in September  for the Texas time trails. I think the Zenia races have been changed to this, http://www.calvinschallenge.com/ in Springfield, OH May 2nd. My phone # is sis3six-5eight3-two38one, if you would like to meet up and go there this year. Or any race, except for CA.

Jerry

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #34 - Apr 15th, 2015, 6:51pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 15th, 2015, 12:29pm:
Ahh, I see the confusion.  Calvin's and the TTTT are really considered "ultra" races.  Hpv races are usually recumbent only and take place on a closed course such as a raceway or velodrome.  See recumbents.com.  battle mountain is the biggest hpv race of the year.  

I had the single recumbent lap record too in Glen rose.  I may try getting it back this year.  

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 15th, 2015, 7:07am:

Jerry

I have this saved on my favorites:http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/calendar.asp . But there are others, they just include any human powered bike, recumbents, streamliners, velomobiles, and even upright wedgies! And yes, most are at a velodrome. The one near Chicago is very bumpy. I would like to see you get the record back at Glen Rose. I just hope I don't get too embarrassed Saturday trying to stay with the local fast group, all uprights. I know I can stay with them on the flats and down hills, but I am slow uphill. I really will not be embarrassed, just more motivated to kick their asses one day!!! Smiley

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #35 - Apr 15th, 2015, 7:43pm

Where do you ride?  I forget.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #36 - Apr 15th, 2015, 8:28pm

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 14th, 2015, 8:42pm:
That IS good.  No, great.  And if you're doing it on a phantom, that's smoking!  I feel you on the health stuff, believe me.  Spin is king.  I could have gone a bit faster if I'd been willing to let my cadence drop below 80, but I want.  My knees never hurt, not even the next day, thanks to high cadence.

Way to go Greg!! And I thought I was doing good with 10 miles in 32 minutes for an 18.75 average with 452 feet of climbing, a personal best! It is real good for me. I took 4 days off before yesterday and my legs felt almost young again! Grin  The end of June will be 4 years since I started back riding. I only started training in December of 2014. Even with this old body and health issues, I have gained over 4.5 mph average since December. I need to lose 20 more pounds and another year of training for holding my average for longer distances. I am going to add a body sock to the Phantom and see if that helps. I am trying to spin faster, I stay in the middle chain ring and try to spin 90-100 rpm's, sometimes faster. No more knee pain. And what a cardio workout!

I hope to keep improving my speed for longer distances. And by spinning faster instead of using a bigger gear is really helping my cardio! I'll probably will never be as fast as you or Phantom Rider, but I sure have been surprising some people. The Phantom is a lot faster with the big front fairing and long tail box. By adding a body sock I hope to pick up 1-2 more mph's. I am going to a few hpv races this summer in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, and Texas and see what the fastest bikes are. Maybe next year I'll have a new bike!

Until I met and rode with Phantom Rider, I was just a long distance tourer. I could ride 40-80 miles a day at a steady 12-13 mph pace. Now I am obsessed with speed. I have  lot more work to do!!! I found out that I need two easy days after a hard, fast day. I may never reach my goals, but it is fun trying!

You have improved greatly since our ride in Argyle, keep up the good work.  I to started on a Phantom and have migrated to high racers since, be patient, enjoy your ride and research everything before you drop money on the next one.  If fast is what you want there are several folks here who can help steer in that direction.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #37 - Apr 15th, 2015, 9:18pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 15th, 2015, 7:43pm:
Where do you ride?  I forget.

About 55 miles SW of St. Louis, MO.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #38 - Apr 15th, 2015, 9:28pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Apr 15th, 2015, 8:28pm:
Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 14th, 2015, 8:42pm:

You have improved greatly since our ride in Argyle, keep up the good work.  I to started on a Phantom and have migrated to high racers since, be patient, enjoy your ride and research everything before you drop money on the next one.  If fast is what you want there are several folks here who can help steer in that direction.

Thanks Joe. Since our first meeting I have put in over 1,800 miles of training. I now realize you have to train and rest properly, not just ride miles and miles. I really love the Phantom. Best money I have spent on a bike. Instead of a new bike, I might turn the Phantom into a streamliner. I'll weigh all my options before making any plunge. Thanks for all the kind words and wisdom.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #39 - Apr 16th, 2015, 9:49pm

Awesome.  I'm going home to Kentucky at some point this summer.  I'll to detour a bit and come ride with you.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #40 - Apr 18th, 2015, 8:55pm

The storm was on it's way in on the return trip from tonight's easy spin with my wife - saw lightning in the distance and the wind was picking up a bit, so I thought, "Why the hell not?" and tested out the VK2 on the almost mile long flat sprint zone.  Given that I am not adjusted to the bike, still recovering, and haven't ridden much this week, I figured I'd end up stopping the sprint early.  

Last time I set my PR for this route it was 28 something.  Today's new PR on the Vk2 was 30.1   Smiley  The bike was mud encrusted and the drivetrain was dry and in want of re-lubing.  So I could go much faster when trained on the bike.  We'll see what the year holds.   That was the 2nd fastest sprint of the year, but still good enough for only 39th.  Another 1 mph would be top 20.   The guy who holds the KOM is 34.0mph with an avg of 628 watts.  Yeesh.  I'm gonna need some tailwind!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #41 - Apr 19th, 2015, 6:23pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 16th, 2015, 9:49pm:
Awesome.  I'm going home to Kentucky at some point this summer.  I'll to detour a bit and come ride with you.

It would be a real pleasure to meet and ride with you Greg. Let me know when you are close by. What part of Kentucky? I have several friends around Kentucky Lake.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #42 - Apr 19th, 2015, 6:27pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 18th, 2015, 8:55pm:
The storm was on it's way in on the return trip from tonight's easy spin with my wife - saw lightning in the distance and the wind was picking up a bit, so I thought, "Why the hell not?" and tested out the VK2 on the almost mile long flat sprint zone.  Given that I am not adjusted to the bike, still recovering, and haven't ridden much this week, I figured I'd end up stopping the sprint early.

Last time I set my PR for this route it was 28 something.  Today's new PR on the Vk2 was 30.1   Smiley  The bike was mud encrusted and the drivetrain was dry and in want of re-lubing.  So I could go much faster when trained on the bike.  We'll see what the year holds.   That was the 2nd fastest sprint of the year, but still good enough for only 39th.  Another 1 mph would be top 20.   The guy who holds the KOM is 34.0mph with an avg of 628 watts.  Yeesh.  I'm gonna need some tailwind!

Darn!!!!! I would need to draft behind a rocket and reach out and hold on to it to go that fast!!! Way to go! Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2015, 6:28pm by jrob_bent »  

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #43 - Apr 19th, 2015, 8:09pm

I assure you, another mile of that would kill me.  I'm from Lexington.

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 19th, 2015, 6:23pm:

It would be a real pleasure to meet and ride with you Greg. Let me know when you are close by. What part of Kentucky? I have several friends around Kentucky Lake.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #44 - Apr 19th, 2015, 8:38pm

Quote from aikigreg on Apr 19th, 2015, 8:09pm:
I assure you, another mile of that would kill me.  I'm from Lexington.

Quote from jrob_bent on Apr 19th, 2015, 6:23pm:

I have a friend who lives in St. Peters, MO who is from Lexington. I have had a drink or two there in my younger days!  

My wife just informed me that we would be back in Texas in about 3 weeks. We are going to be looking at a house on Bridgeport Lake in Runway, TX. Maybe we could get together then for a ride. Then ride again in Missouri when you go to Kentucky.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print