Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 12:37am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cruzbike Silvio 2.0 (Read 18813 times)
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Re: Cruzbike Silvio 2.0
Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2014, 9:14pm

What are you waiting for? You don't have time to post pics. Get that thing built so we can see it roll!  Smiley

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Feb 19th, 2014, 10:14pm

Quote from CruzbikeChris on Feb 19th, 2014, 9:14pm:
What are you waiting for? You don't have time to post pics. Get that thing built so we can see it roll!  Smiley

Still staring at the box and contemplating the task I have ahead of me.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2014, 9:15pm

Completed my Silvio build, yesterday. This was my 11th recumbent build, and by far the most difficult. Some of the holes in the carbon fiber components were not drilled accurately and the rear suspension rubber dampener's diameter was too large. Corrected the problems in my shop. Two screws were missing and the supplied headset spacer was not thick enough. The front derailleur mount gave me the most trouble. Couldn't adjust the SRAM Force derailler's cage any closer than 10 mm from the 46T big ring on the crankset. Spent 15 hours fabricating and fitting various adapters, but was ultimately unsuccessful, as the derailleur's cage was too loose on the body to hold the required 1 to 3 mm cage-to-ring clearance when cable tension was added. Going to have to live with 10 mm clearance. Everything else fit OK. Been assembling it in my kitchen, during the cold weather. Rolled it out the door this morning. Many thanks to John S for donating a pair of Bacchetta X-Eyed caliper brakes for my project. They work great. Ready to ride (except for bag and tools), the bike weighs 25 lb 9 oz (11.6 kg). Not bad for a fully-suspended bike with an aluminum fork. Advertised bare weight is 11.5 to 12.5 kg, depending on selected components. Seat angle is 27 degrees.  

This is what you get for $2,280, including shipping from factory in Taiwan.

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2014, 4:37pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
TonyWard
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Mar 10th, 2014, 9:28pm

that is one sweet looking bike - when are you going to be adjusting it to a 45" xseam?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends - Robert Earl Keen
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Mar 10th, 2014, 9:55pm

Quote from TonyWard on Mar 10th, 2014, 9:28pm:
that is one sweet looking bike - when are you going to be adjusting it to a 45" xseam?

Uh, I think it's permanently fixed at 41.5".  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Reply #20 - Mar 11th, 2014, 8:14pm

Smileyperfect for me.i want a ride!

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #21 - Mar 11th, 2014, 9:11pm

Quote from CruzbikeChris on Mar 11th, 2014, 8:14pm:
Smileyperfect for me.i want a ride!

Any time Chris.

Email   IP Logged
bob wand
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 11th, 2014, 10:08pm

Looks like tiller steering similar to the Barcroft I had.

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Mar 11th, 2014, 10:22pm

Quote from bob wand on Mar 11th, 2014, 10:08pm:
Looks like tiller steering similar to the Barcroft I had.

Yeah, it's a tiller with a modified road bike handlebar.

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #24 - Apr 11th, 2014, 8:09am

So, Jay -- give us some impressions...  and I don't mean your best Dean Martin...   Cool

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #25 - Apr 11th, 2014, 12:11pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 11th, 2014, 8:09am:
So, Jay -- give us some impressions...  and I don't mean your best Dean Martin...   Cool

Grin.  Paul, I just have 150 miles on the bike, so I'm not ready to declare it the fastest and best climbing bike I've ever owned.  Smiley  I've progressed from wobbling all over the WRL path, not clipped in, to sort of riding in a straight line, clipped in, to finally "getting" the bike and riding at decent speeds in a straight line. Still can't start from a stop (haven't been working on that). I do Fred Flintstone starts. That's why John S has named the bike "Fred".  Cheesy  Working on making sharp turns clipped in and pedaling. Have successfully climbed Flag Pole Hill in the lowest gear combination (34/32) and have tried a short sprint to 25.7 mph. It's not affected by gusting side winds anywhere near like my Carbent is. Not ready to take it on a Clown ride, yet. After I take it on a number of those rides and average out my performances, compared to those of Bob M and Larry K, I'll be ready to compare the bike to my other performance bikes. It's fast downhill, like the typical aero recumbent bike. I'm hoping it's going to be a superior short hill climber.  

If I had taken Cruzbike Chris up on his gracious offer to let me test ride his Cruzbike conversion, I might not have purchased the Silvio kit. I had doubts about the wisdom of my purchase when I first started riding the bike. When I finally "got" it, I had a pleasant sense of accomplishment. Cruising at 17 to 18 mph requires little hand/arm input to keep it going in a straight line. Sprinting and hill climbing requires high input to keep the front triangle straight. Part of the reason for me getting the bike was to get an upper body workout. So far, I like the bike. I also like the fact I haven't gone down on it, during the learning process.

Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #26 - Apr 13th, 2014, 9:36am

Looks really nice Jay.

Never tried a FWD bike.  It seems a bit bizarre to turn the cranks with the steering, but that comes from having zero experience with it.  It likely works a whole lot better then I would expect.  Someday I've got to try one.

Email   IP Logged
rcko

rbent member

Reply #27 - Apr 13th, 2014, 10:37am

Very nice looking Machine. Congratulations!

I like how it integrates road specific "hood" brake and shifter levers on the hybrid handle bar assembly.  Wonder if this a set up that could be duplicated on a stick high racer like a Corsa, Rifle etc by using a tiller?  Not sure how much tilt can be achieved from a tiller and or reach required to make it work.

The bottle mount location is very convenient as well.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2014, 10:39am by rcko »  
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #28 - Apr 13th, 2014, 12:21pm

Quote from Denman on Apr 13th, 2014, 9:36am:
Looks really nice Jay.

Never tried a FWD bike.  It seems a bit bizarre to turn the cranks with the steering, but that comes from having zero experience with it.  It likely works a whole lot better then I would expect.  Someday I've got to try one.

Thanks, John.

The Silvio offers a dual challenge to a first time high BB recumbent bike rider: Learning to ride both a high racer and a bike with a moving bottom bracket (MBB). There was a poster on BROL who reported he was falling down on his new Silvio almost every time he rode it. That concerned me, as I had already ordered my Silvio. I'm thinking he must have never ridden a high racer. IMO my extensive high racer experience gave me a leg up on the learning process. Still, I've come close to going down, during my continuing learning process.

The Silvio has been on my recumbent bucket list for a while. I've seen one (don't know if it's the same one) at WRL, maybe once or twice a year in past years, mixing it up with the roadies and flying down West Lawther at high speed. Also, I've read that they climb like a road bike. Those are the reasons I was attracted to the bike. The new design (2.0) with the 27 degree seat back angle and Vendetta-like tiller finally made me pull the trigger.

Email   IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #29 - Apr 13th, 2014, 1:07pm

Jay

I think you made a wise decision by not taking up CruzbikeChris on his offer, I too was interested in the Silvio.  After a few attempts on his conversion I quickly decided that was not for me and made my transition from the P-38 to my Rifle.  After riding a couple thousand miles on the high racer i often wonder if I would have a different experience now.

Enjoy following your story, please keep the info coming and I'm very much intrigued by the silvio.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print