Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 6:59am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cruzbike Silvio 2.0 (Read 18819 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Cruzbike Silvio 2.0
Jan 21st, 2014, 6:17pm

Haven’t  bought a new bike since the end of 2011, because I haven’t seen anything that interests me more than the bikes I've previously purchased. I've owned a lot of different types of recumbents, but never a SWB MBB. Didn’t like the looks of Cruzbikes, until the Vendetta appeared on the scene. Then, I happened to see some photos of the Silvio 2.0 with a chainstay extension. I LIKE IT! Its 27 degree seat angle makes it a more practical bike for general riding than the Vendetta with its extremely low seat, yet it still has a fairly aero configuration. Wonder if there are any Silvio 2.0 owners out there that could answer a few questions I haven’t seen posted in the Silvio Forum? My questions are:

1. The seat pan is several inches narrower than the typical hard shell pan. I am 5’-8” and weigh 144 pounds. I’m not comfortable on most hard shell seats, unless I have 2” of firm foam between my butt and the pan. How comfortable is the seat w/padding? Can the pad foam be replaced, or is the seat cover sealed?

2. Does the bike wobble in sprints and aggressive hill climbing when the rider is clipped in and both pushing and pulling on the pedals? Does it require continual steering input to counterbalance the alternating forces trying to torque the MBB assembly around the head tube axis?

« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2014, 7:30pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Re: Cruzbike Silvio 2.0
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2014, 9:21pm

I'm trying to get down to Vite while I am in Florida to look at the Silvio and the MetaPhysic. The Cruzbike I rode last summer was comfortable but that is a very individual thing. I know you can't tolerate the set up I use on the Aero for example. There is some pedal steer on the Cruzbikes but as usual it is spin baby spin to control that.

Corsa Ken

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2014, 10:28pm

Quote from catroad254 on Jan 21st, 2014, 9:21pm:
I'm trying to get down to Vite while I am in Florida to look at the Silvio and the MetaPhysic. The Cruzbike I rode last summer was comfortable but that is a very individual thing. I know you can't tolerate the set up I use on the Aero for example. There is some pedal steer on the Cruzbikes but as usual it is spin baby spin to control that.

Corsa Ken

Thanks, Ken. Spinning is my game, since I ride with short cranks. Looking forward hearing what you think of the bike, after you check it out at Vite. While researching it, I read that the ride quality of the Meta was not near as good as that of the fully-suspended Silvio. Hey, maybe we'll be doing the dual Silvio 2.0 thing at WRL in the future.  

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2014, 11:00am

Quote from catroad254 on Jan 21st, 2014, 9:21pm:

Corsa Ken

Ken, say hi for me....  enjoy!  They've got both the Silvio and the Vendetta there at the Vite shop...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
CruzbikeChris

rbent member

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2014, 6:01pm

Ok, well let's see if I can try an answer theses in my own way. I do not own a Silvio but I do have a custom Cruzbike conversion that I built up myself and love it.  

The seat pan on mine is just a little bigger than the new Silvio seat pan but very similar I have been told. I am significantly bigger th.an you at 210, 5' 9". The pad is capable of change out if you like. I have added a lumbar padding in mine and truly love the thing. Ventist pads are a popular upgrade on the Cruzbikes and I have even considered it myself.  

As for the wobble it doesn't for me now but I have been riding it for almost 2 years clipped in and wouldn't change  a thing, well except a new Silvio if it were in the budget, but that's for later. I have only ridden a few other bents so can't really compare a lot but am dead set on the FWD MBB design with the standard road group and standard chain length.

A fun added benefit is I can also ride hands free for a good distance if the wind is not too bad.  

You are all more than welcome to rest ride anytime you wish. I live north of Denton in the Sanger area just let me know.

Chris

2013 Cruzbike Silvio 2.1
2017 Cannondale Trail 5 for the off road times
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2014, 6:42pm

Quote from CruzbikeChris on Jan 24th, 2014, 6:01pm:
Ok, well let's see if I can try an answer theses in my own way. I do not own a Silvio but I do have a custom Cruzbike conversion that I built up myself and love it.

The seat pan on mine is just a little bigger than the new Silvio seat pan but very similar I have been told. I am significantly bigger th.an you at 210, 5' 9". The pad is capable of change out if you like. I have added a lumbar padding in mine and truly love the thing. Ventist pads are a popular upgrade on the Cruzbikes and I have even considered it myself.

As for the wobble it doesn't for me now but I have been riding it for almost 2 years clipped in and wouldn't change  a thing, well except a new Silvio if it were in the budget, but that's for later. I have only ridden a few other bents so can't really compare a lot but am dead set on the FWD MBB design with the standard road group and standard chain length.

A fun added benefit is I can also ride hands free for a good distance if the wind is not too bad.

You are all more than welcome to rest ride anytime you wish. I live north of Denton in the Sanger area just let me know.

Chris,

Thanks for your input and offer.

The Ventisit pad doesn't work for me, because of my light weight (Feels very stiff). However, it does work for a couple of riding friends of mine that are over 30 pounds heavier than I.

I've been viewing Silvio and Vendetta helmetcam videos this afternoon, and didn't see much triangle movement while the riders were climbing and sprinting. Viewed one video of a Silvio rider riding no hands at a good clip. There was hardly any triangle movement. Pretty impressive.

I have 7 years of experience riding high racers, so I think I probably have a leg up on rapidly learning to ride an MBB bike.

I live a pretty far distance from you (East Dallas), but may take you up on your offer. If I do, I'll PM you to check on your schedule.

Jay G.  

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2014, 4:17pm

USPS delivered a tee shirt and assembly instructions this afternoon. Now if I just had a framekit.........

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2014, 4:41pm

How much instruction do you need to assemble a t-shirt?

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2014, 6:40pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Feb 8th, 2014, 4:41pm:
How much instruction do you need to assemble a t-shirt?

That's a good example of why you were elected #1 Clown.   Cheesy  

Email   IP Logged
jcsadowski
Five Star Member

Clown #1

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2014, 7:23pm

Quote:
That's a good example of why you were elected #1 Clown.

Could be, can you save the instructions for me? I might need a new t-shirt.

2009 Carbon fiber CA 2.0
2014 Schlitter Encore
Email WWW   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2014, 9:55pm

You can get a new T-shirt at Clarksville.. Smiley

IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2014, 9:56pm

Quote from jcsadowski on Feb 8th, 2014, 7:23pm:

Quote:
That's a good example of why you were elected #1 Clown.

Could be, can you save the instructions for me? I might need a new t-shirt.

Guess I should have written: "I ordered a framekit, but all I got was this lousy tee shirt."   Smiley

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2014, 1:47pm

That has got to be the most expensive T- shirt I have ever seen!!!! Smiley

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2014, 1:28pm

Grin Cheesy Wink Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2014, 8:10am

Hard to believe there's a bike in this little box. Let the assembling begin.

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print