Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 19th, 2024, 12:48am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hit by a pick up (Read 5731 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Re: Hit by a pick up
Reply #15 - Dec 23rd, 2009, 5:10pm

attaboy, get back on that horse!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #16 - Dec 23rd, 2009, 5:52pm

Oh, wow, just now seeing this...  VERY glad you're still with us, buddy....!!!!

Stay away from those curbs -- take the lane!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #17 - Dec 24th, 2009, 12:58am

Glad you're OK.  You know, the police can get cellphone records to determine if the driver was texting or talking at the time.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Lrodshy57

rbent member

Reply #18 - Dec 24th, 2009, 11:03am

So you were headed North! You got hit from behind. It happened at 1:30 PM. He said "didn't see you, was too bright'!  

He is LYING!

The SUN was on both of your right sides, bearly, since it was almost on top of your collective heads! He HAD to be distracted,(texting, etc.) as stated in other post, or was under influence of something. Get a copy of accident report. Not just for you, but , for all other cyclists' sake.

If report says nothing of possible influence, have supervisor take action for an incomplete report.
99% of my riding is in/on lake bike paths.

Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #19 - Dec 24th, 2009, 12:07pm

Hey Paul, I normally take the lane, but had I kept my position & not moved to right side, he would have run me over no question about it(instead of a glancing blow, I would have been under the pick up). I was taking the lane, but as the truck closed in , I moved over to the right to avoid as much of the collision as I could. The helmet, left shoulder & left side handlebars took the brunt of the impact.

I was talking to Bikin' Mike last night about the incident after his spin class, & he said the same thing. He cited some cycling class & lab that teaches the same thing you're talking about-take the lane. It's one thing to teach & write about it in class/lab, but when a 5,000 lb vehicle is barreling down on you,I'm doing everything I can do to get out its way. Theory vs reality.  

I will follow up with the Frisco Police department to see if any citations were issued. Due to the holidays, an accident report will have to wait until Jan 4. I have spoken to another Frisco Police officer about the accident & he said I was the first cyclist that he is aware of that was able to walk away from a car/bicycle collision in the Frisco area.  

I will give the driver some credit. He called me yesterday to make sure I was OK & he again apologized for the accident. Look, I'm not saying this absolves him from his inattentiveness, but that could not have been an easy phone call for him to make.  

As far as the weather conditions, correct, the sun was to our right(behind my left shoulder), so the old "sun in my eyes bit" doesn't hold water. Again, I'm not making excuses for the driver,but everyone of us is guilty to some extent for driving distracted(not enough sleep, argument with friends.wife, bad day at work,etc...). Who knows what the driver was thinking(or not thinking). Only he knows.  

Every time we head for a ride, we take a risk of something this happening. No one looks for it to happen, but that's the reality of the situation. I would rather not ride ,that do trail rides. I despise avoiding runners, dogs, strollers,etc...

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #20 - Dec 25th, 2009, 5:34pm

Quote from Killer Bee on Dec 24th, 2009, 12:07pm:
Hey Paul, I normally take the lane, but had I kept my position & not moved to right side, he would have run me over no question about it(instead of a glancing blow, I would have been under the pick up). I was taking the lane, but as the truck closed in , I moved over to the right to avoid as much of the collision as I could. The helmet, left shoulder & left side handlebars took the brunt of the impact.

Gotcha, pal...  I agree totally -- you hadn't mentioned that in your earlier post.  Glad you had one eye on the mirror...!!!   Smiley

Mike Schwitzgebel bailed once a couple years ago when he saw a guy drive onto the shoulder behind him on purpose...

Good defensive riding...

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #21 - Jan 4th, 2010, 12:59pm

I followed up & received the police report for my accident. The driver was cited  for "failure to give 1/2 of roadway".  At least there was a citation.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Opus the Poet
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Jan 9th, 2010, 2:32am

When I saw the title to this thread all I could think was "not again". Glad to hear you survived.

I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Email WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print