Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:10am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
January 19th Brevet (Read 3856 times)
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Re: January 19th Brevet
Reply #15 - Jan 17th, 2008, 11:00pm

Yeah but its a dry cold!

Wonderfully Gloriously DRY!!!!  WhooHoo!!
Should actually be a nice day, now you can't tell me someone who works at thingy's doesn't have access to some nice warm clothes.  Wink

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2008, 11:23am

Dear Strada's,

I agree with Nelson.  Cold is a relative term.  It's supposed to be sunny, and that makes a tremendous difference in the colder weather.  A sunny 40 degrees is much more tolerable and actually enjoyable than an overcase 40 degrees.

I wear several layers, and usually end up taking clothes off as the day progresses as I get quite hot.  

Besides... ask Nelson about his exploits last year, when he rode this event in sleeting rain and high winds.  This Saturday's weather will be great in comparison.

So you see, this wacky sport of Randonneuring puts everything in perspective.  Once you endure rides of extreme temperature varients, a ride like this Saturday's where it will be sunny, yet cool, will be a cake walk.

So come on, join us.  It will be great.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2008, 1:06am

Quote from bikerteam on Jan 18th, 2008, 11:23am:
Dear Strada's,

I agree with Nelson. Cold is a relative term. It's supposed to be sunny, and that makes a tremendous difference in the colder weather. A sunny 40 degrees is much more tolerable and actually enjoyable than an overcase 40 degrees.

I wear several layers, and usually end up taking clothes off as the day progresses as I get quite hot.

Besides... ask Nelson about his exploits last year, when he rode this event in sleeting rain and high winds. This Saturday's weather will be great in comparison.

So you see, this wacky sport of Randonneuring puts everything in perspective. Once you endure rides of extreme temperature varients, a ride like this Saturday's where it will be sunny, yet cool, will be a cake walk.

So come on, join us. It will be great.

Nelson & Ray,enjoy your day tomorrow. Have a safe ride. The Stradas will be a no show for this brevet. We'll be keeping our "thingy's" toasty warm in our home. We will miss you guys tomorrow. Looks for us in February(if it's warmer by them).

-The Candyas#es

P.S. give us a good ride report.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2008, 1:40pm

It really IS amazing what temperatures it's still "relatively" comfortable to ride in...  but I agree, full sunshine makes a WHOLE lotta difference.  38 and sunny beats the heck out of overcast and 52!

However, let's just say I got a better offer for today... Wink

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #19 - Jan 19th, 2008, 3:04pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 19th, 2008, 1:40pm:
It really IS amazing what temperatures it's still "relatively" comfortable to ride in... but I agree, full sunshine makes a WHOLE lotta difference. 38 and sunny beats the heck out of overcast and 52!

However, let's just say I got a better offer for today... Wink

Agreed. However,the first 3 hours of todays ride(with temperatures in the mid/high 20's) was the determining factor for me.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2008, 3:14pm

It's 2:00 pm now, and still colder than I'm willing to ride in........... sheesh. Tomorrow's supposed to warm up to 50 degrees. I guess I'll try for a few afternoon miles, then.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #21 - Jan 19th, 2008, 6:17pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Jan 19th, 2008, 3:14pm:
It's 2:00 pm now, and still colder than I'm willing to ride in........... sheesh. Tomorrow's supposed to warm up to 50 degrees. I guess I'll try for a few afternoon miles, then.

You got it. Peggy & I will be out tomorrow riding as well.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
jman
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Jan 19th, 2008, 6:47pm

Too Cold, naw, I rode out from my apt on Post Oak and Trinity (just west of 360) and rode south west to River Legacy Park at 10AM. It was a beautiful sunny morning and temps were already up to 30F Smiley . $ other cyclists and about a dozen runners were out enjoying the uncrowded park. It was a bit windy but it didn't bother me too much. Hwy 157 wasn't very busy today and that made riding southbound a real pleasure for a change.

My car is a Recumbent
Bent in Ft.Worth
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #23 - Jan 20th, 2008, 9:51am

Quote from jman on Jan 19th, 2008, 6:47pm:
Too Cold, naw, I rode out from my apt on Post Oak and Trinity (just west of 360) and rode south west to River Legacy Park at 10AM. It was a beautiful sunny morning and temps were already up to 30F Smiley . $ other cyclists and about a dozen runners were out enjoying the uncrowded park. It was a bit windy but it didn't bother me too much. Hwy 157 wasn't very busy today and that made riding southbound a real pleasure for a change.

Try riding at 7:00am, 3 hrs before it gets remotely warm & riding 200K in the wind & cold. 20/20 miles is nothing in the cold. Add about 75 miles.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #24 - Jan 20th, 2008, 4:32pm

Steve,

LOL...

you're so right.  It was about 6am as I drove up to the start at Joe Pool.  The radio announcer said the wind chill was 18 degrees.  I didn't want to hear that.  I have a bag full of extreme cold weather cycling gear, and utilized them to their fullest.  

We started in the dark at 7am sharp.  I wore a under armor base layer, Craft cold weather shirt and my Sugoi jacket.  As Nelson said, it was sunny, and even though it was probably in the 30's at the warmest (with the wind chill) the sun made the "apparent temperature" much warmer than the "true temperature".  Since we dressed appropriately, it was a great day. Around noon I had to take off the Craft shirt as I was sweating.  After about mile 110 it was getting near dark again so I put it back on.  

One of the deceptive "ride awareness" lessons of ultra distance riding in the cold weather is that riders tend to forget to hydrate enough.  Many of the veteran riders bonk.  So if any of you ride in excess of 8-10 hours in the extreme cold (as Nelson and I did yesterday), drink, drink drink. and pee, pee, pee.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #25 - Jan 20th, 2008, 7:15pm

Quote from bikerteam on Jan 20th, 2008, 4:32pm:
Steve,

LOL...

you're so right. It was about 6am as I drove up to the start at Joe Pool. The radio announcer said the wind chill was 18 degrees. I didn't want to hear that. I have a bag full of extreme cold weather cycling gear, and utilized them to their fullest.

We started in the dark at 7am sharp. I wore a under armor base layer, Craft cold weather shirt and my Sugoi jacket. As Nelson said, it was sunny, and even though it was probably in the 30's at the warmest (with the wind chill) the sun made the "apparent temperature" much warmer than the "true temperature". Since we dressed appropriately, it was a great day. Around noon I had to take off the Craft shirt as I was sweating. After about mile 110 it was getting near dark again so I put it back on.

One of the deceptive "ride awareness" lessons of ultra distance riding in the cold weather is that riders tend to forget to hydrate enough. Many of the veteran riders bonk. So if any of you ride in excess of 8-10 hours in the extreme cold (as Nelson and I did yesterday), drink, drink drink. and pee, pee, pee.

Ray/Nelson,congrats on the successful ride. Peggy & I were close to joining you & Nelson. We miss riding with you guys. Look for us soon.

-Steve

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pedalin` Peggy

rbent member

Reply #26 - Jan 20th, 2008, 11:22pm

As it turned out I had to work over night Saturday night. Helping a store with its inventory. I don't think I could have ridden a 200k then worked all night . I'm not that tough .  
                                         Looking forward to see you all next month.
                                                                                        Mrs Strada

'07 Strada
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #27 - Jan 21st, 2008, 10:45am

....drink, drink drink. and pee, pee, pee.

Hmmm, for some reason I'm having a flashback to college daze....   Cheesy

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #28 - Jan 21st, 2008, 3:28pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Jan 21st, 2008, 10:45am:
....drink, drink drink. and pee, pee, pee.

Hmmm, for some reason I'm having a flashback to college daze.... Cheesy

...or just another weekend night for me.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print