Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 8:15am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
LSR 100k Populaire, October 28th (Read 7368 times)
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: LSR 100k Populaire, October 28th
Reply #30 - Oct 26th, 2007, 5:08pm

After all this,I was riding this afternoon & felt  a sharp pain on the exterior of my right knee(I felt this same pain during the last 1/2 of the 200k last Saturday). After 9 miles,I turned around & limped home. The family doctor has referred me to an orthopedist. So,I see him & see what he says. I can't imagine it's anything too serious. But I won't be riding at all this weekend(and probably for the next week or so).

Sorry all, sometimes we have to listen to what our bodies are telling us, but I won't be riding this weekend's Populaire & may not be riding the at the 200K in Winnsboro. I would hate to get stuck in the middle of nowhere & have this problem flare-up again.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #31 - Oct 26th, 2007, 6:01pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a mild twinge!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #32 - Oct 26th, 2007, 7:04pm

Quote from aikigreg on Oct 26th, 2007, 6:01pm:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for a mild twinge!

Thanks. Sorry to dump out at the last minute,there's no way I could ride 150K with the pain(it was bad enough the last 1/3 of the Italy Brevet).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #33 - Oct 26th, 2007, 7:35pm

Well hell, another one bites the dust.........

Hang in there, Steve! Here's hoping that it's not too serious. I guess if you have to ease up on your riding, the coming winter months aren't a bad time to do it.  

So, it's Paul, Robert, and I for the 100k, Greg and Ray for the 150k. Anyone else coming?

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2007, 7:39pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
catroad254

rbent member

Reply #34 - Oct 26th, 2007, 9:21pm

I'm planning to do the 100K.

Ken

Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #35 - Oct 27th, 2007, 7:37am

I'll be there for the 100K.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #36 - Oct 27th, 2007, 5:07pm

Sounds like we'll have a good recumbent turnout. I'll see you all tomorrow morning!

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #37 - Oct 29th, 2007, 5:55am

Wow... It was great seeing so many recuments at yesterday's event.  Since Dan refers to me as a "switch-hitter", I rode my DF.  It was great to officially meet DJ, and see Ken and Robert on the ride.  

Here's my ride debriefing.

For the first 10 miles or so, Greg, Paul and I were playing see-saw with the lead groups.  Shortly after that I started talking to Sharon Stevens.  Somehow, which is common with me, we missed a turn and had 5 bonus miles.  When we got back on course we caught up with Greg and DJ.  That's when we encountered the road from hell.  Jagged rocks, bumpy road... Yuck....

DJ was doing to 100k, so he had to stop at a control in Venus.  I kept going as the first control for the 150k was in Maypearl.  At this point, I was riding alone, and assumed that since I got off course, everyone was way ahead.  A few miles later, a group of "A" riders appeared in my mirror.  As they got closer I heard Pam yell at Dan, slow down you're killing us.  Later he told me that when he saw me ahead, I became the rabbit, and he had to chase down.  Val had a flat, so they all waited for him.

I rode the remaining 80 miles with this group.  It consisted of the following "A" riders:
Dan Driscoll
Pam Wright
Mark Metcalf
Sherry
Shellene
Richard Whitaker
Jerry Austin
Robbin Phelps
Val Phelps
We averaged 18-20mph.  On the flats, we rarely were under 20mph.  We were in and out of the control fairly quickly for this size group.  We finished the 100 miles in a little over 6 hours.  That's total ride time, including bonus miles, stopping to change a flat, stops at 3 controls, etc...

Around mile 80, I don't remember what town, I was about 100 yards behind the group, catching up after a pee break.  A car pulls out quickly from the left, trying to beat oncoming traffic.  They didn't see me, and "bumped" into my.  I was able to move to the side of the road to negate a significant, eat the pavement, accident.  I quickly caught the group and told them what happened.  We caught this vehicle at a traffic light and followed them into a gas station.   Dan immediately defended me, and began jumping all over her.  The woman driver said she didn't know she hit me and began apologizing since a group of 10 cyclists surrounded her car!  I'm fortunate it wasn't worse.

Be careful out there everyone!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #38 - Oct 29th, 2007, 8:11am

It was nice to meet a couple of the guys I see on the forum but have never met -Paul and Greg specifically.  I hung out around the back of the main pack the first several miles, but flatted going over those first railroad tracks - my first flat on the Corsa!  Bud and Ken caught up to me there and we stayed together the rest of the 100k.  Frankly, the track left a lot to be desired.  About the worst road surface I've ever tried to navigate on a bike in places and way to much traffic on way too narrow roads for much of the second half of the ride.  Despite that, the company was excellent and I did get my longest ride yet on the Corsa with NO CRAMPS!  Thanks, Bud, for being a great navigator.  I'd still be out there somewhere if you weren't in the lead.

Ray, glad you survived your encounter with the auto.  I was so frustrated at times with the stupid drivers, I asked Bud if he knew whether or not they made a 50 caliber mount for a Corsa!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #39 - Oct 29th, 2007, 9:21am

Yeah, the route definitely left a lot to be desired. This is actually the FWBA Bicycles Inc metric century route. LSR scheduled this ride to be a joint ride with FWBA, but that part of it fell apart, with the FWBA version starting at 1:00 pm. I had done the FWBA version before, but we didn't hit Rendon Road just at the time the churches were letting out, like we did yesterday. FWBA plans to make the Sunday afternoon Bicycles Inc ride a regular ride during the winter. Unless they change the route, I don't think I'll be joining them again on this ride. The Lone Star Randonneurs usually pick better routes than this.

Bad route and all, I still enjoyed the ride. It was great seeing everyone, and all the recumbents about. Glad you weren't seriously hurt, Ray.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #40 - Oct 29th, 2007, 9:41am

Excellent ride reports. Very nice to hear the 'bents had a good turn out.  Again,sorry I had to miss the ride.What a beautiful day for a bike ride! It sounds like a little drama was thrown in for good measure(Ray's incident with the car. Ray,glad to hear you're "OK").  Very dangerous stuff.

Robert,Bud is an excellent navigator,strong rider & helluva nice guy.  I trust Bud's review of routes. If  I had to miss this ride(due to a sore knee),this maybe the ride to miss(based on the bad road conditions/traffic).

Congratulations to everyone that rode. I hope you enjoyed yourselves.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #41 - Oct 29th, 2007, 6:51pm

Holy crap, Ray - glad you're ok.

Steve - you didn't miss anything other than the company (which was excellent, if I may so so.)  The route stunk up the place.  I don't seem to feel any ill-effects despite having to cut my ride short and the burning sensation in my lungs when I breathed.  So hopefully the burn was just crud coming out of my lungs and there's an end to it!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #42 - Oct 29th, 2007, 8:43pm

Greg,you're 100% correct. The thing I miss the most is the fellowship with riders such as yourself.  Bud was dead on with his concern regarding this route.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Rawhide

rbent member

Reply #43 - Oct 30th, 2007, 5:14am

I concur with the previous assessments of the route.  DJ

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #44 - Oct 30th, 2007, 11:58am

Yes, except for the crappy 3 mile pothole/gravel section (TWICE) and having to dodge all the Babtists getting out of church on the 6 miles of Rendon Road, it was a good ride, and a beautiful day!   I hung with the lead group till the Venus checkpoint, having averaged a little over 18mph to that point.  Having just completed the "Honey Dog-Doo" 200K the previous day, I was pleasantly surprised to feel no ill effects whatsoever from those exertions, trying to keep pace with Shellene, Mark, and others.

I'm just glad we didn't encounter the Lost Bull...   Shocked  (see pic below)

After that, I regrouped with Greg, DJ, and Sharon, and we started the return when Bud and his gang arrived, and kept a fairly constant 15 minute difference between us the rest of the way.  Sorry to not hang back to keep everybody together, Bud, but Sharon wanted to be back before 1:30.

Good to meet you, Robert, and glad everybody made it through the 2nd half "unscathed"...  Although Sharon said that she apparently developed a couple of significant cracks in her rear wheel from that pothole/gravel section -- glad I went bombroof for the weekend!

Here are a few pics:

At the Start:

Early On:

The Lead Group:

Unusual sign:

Bud and company:

Caught you looking, DJ!!!

Such a deal!

Notice the difference between "New" and "Like New"...  Only a dollar! Grin

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2007, 12:04pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"