Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 10:49am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
LSR 100k Populaire, October 28th (Read 7369 times)
Bud_Bent

LSR 100k Populaire, October 28th
Oct 20th, 2007, 9:40pm

This ride is hosted by Jerry Austin. It starts Sunday, October 28th, 9:00 am, at the new Bicycles Inc location in Arlington, at the southeast corner of I-20 and Green Oaks. This is not a super early start, so everyone won't have to get up at dark-thirty to get there. 100k is just 60 miles, so even with the late start, there will be plenty of time to finish before dark.

There are no membership requirements for a populaire. For anyone who would like to find out what the randonneuring style of riding is like, without have to start with the longer distances of brevets, this ride would be a great ride for that. I'm planning on doing the ride, and I'll be glad to help anyone who wants to make this their first randonneuring ride.

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2007, 9:40pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Re: LSR 100k Populaire, October 28th
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2007, 10:19pm

I'm in(Peggy is a "maybe" depending on her work schedule).  This should be a GREAT ride!! Let's get as many 'bents as we can for a strong showing.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2007, 5:06pm

I'll be there, though I'm not sure which bike I'll pull out.  I'd like to know the route, so I can match the bike to the route.  

Who knows, I may bring the new Honda so you all can moto-pace a sub 3 hour 100k.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2007, 8:08pm

Can anyone just "show up" for this or do I need to register or do something else beforehand?  I'm pretty sure my schedule is open for this Saturday and I'd like to join everbody.  I think 100K is probably doable for me if the roads are not too hilly or someone will make me tone it down a little!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2007, 9:44pm

Quote from robert.j on Oct 21st, 2007, 8:08pm:
Can anyone just "show up" for this or do I need to register or do something else beforehand? I'm pretty sure my schedule is open for this Saturday and I'd like to join everbody. I think 100K is probably doable for me if the roads are not too hilly or someone will make me tone it down a little!

All you have to do is show up. There still isn't a map or cue sheet posted, but considering the ride is leaving from southwest Arlington, I wouldn't expect it to be a terribly hilly route.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:13am

Robert,

I had the honor of riding withyou as you tore up the hills in Glen Rose recently.  You can easily do a 100k out of S. Arlington.  Plus there are mandatory "controls" every 25-30 miles, where you have to stop and get a card signed and time stamped.  This allows you plenty of opportunity to rest.

Can we get a roll call of bents that are planning on participating:

Bud - yes
Steve - yes
Robert - yes
Ray - yes
Peggy - depends on work schedle  

Come on everyone - I know there are a bunch of you out there.  I want to meet all the other DFW rbent riders. Spread the word... Oh, did we say there is no "fee", so the ride is free.  Everyone come out and see what Randonneuring is all about!

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:14pm

Quote from robert.j on Oct 21st, 2007, 8:08pm:
Can anyone just "show up" for this or do I need to register or do something else beforehand? I'm pretty sure my schedule is open for this Saturday and I'd like to join everbody. I think 100K is probably doable for me if the roads are not too hilly or someone will make me tone it down a little!

Robert-FYI,the Populaire is this upcoming Sunday(Oct28th).

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:28pm

Good eye, Steve. I hadn't noticed that Robert wrote "Saturday". The ride is, indeed, Sunday.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #8 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 12:42pm

Glad you guys are looking out for my absentmindedness!  I'll see if I can rearrange my church schedule so I can be there Sunday.  Put me down as a maybe/probable for this Sunday.
Ray, maybe if I hadn't "tore up" the hills in Glen Rose I wouldn't have been cramping near the end! Grin  My relative inability to do longer rides (anything >45 miles) has always been related to cramping, never because I've been tired.  However, I've had no trouble with cramping until Glen Rose since I got my Corsa.
See you Sunday (I hope).

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 3:19pm

I would love to ride the 100K but this Sat & Sun are already committed. The bad thing about this time of year is that events start to pile up. I would like to try some longer distances. Maybe this rando thing will develope. On a high note my back is back. Im about 90%. Another couple good days and I will call myself healed. Smiley

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 6:52pm

Robert, to your point about church... Angie and I are very active in our church.  As a matter of fact, I am captain of the stage crew, and spend about 4 hours every Sunday performing very physical work (setting up the band's equipment, sound, lighting, etc). I worked out a back-up plan for this Sunday.

I sent an e-mail earlier today to Jerry Austin, who is sponsoring this Sunday's Populaire.  I asked him if he'd send me the cue sheet (in Excel) so I can print in large font.  Here is Jerry's reply (note that you can link to the cue sheet from inside bikely.com)

Ray,

There is a choice of 100k or 150k on Sun.  Here are the maps on Bikely.com

150 km Pop
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Pleasant-Point-Pop

100 km Pop
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Velo-Venus

Jerry

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #11 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 7:02pm

In addition to my post above, I plan on riding the 150k Populaire this Sunday.  After completing this ride, if I ride two 200k in November and one 200k in December, I'll finish the year with just over 5000k of LSR mileage.  Every 1000k earns you a nice year end medal.  

You can look at any members results on the RUSA site.  Just click on "Results" in the "Search For" area and enter the persons name:
http://www.rusa.org/results_search.html

You can also see the numerous awards, under the "Members Info" area, and click on "Awards".  Here is the link to the Distance Awards web page:
http://www.rusa.org/rusaaward.html

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #12 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:10pm

Dang, I sure don't like a couple of miles of those roads.  CR615 and CR506, just north of Venus, had some horrible gravel stretches when I rode on them a few weeks ago. Has Jerry been on them lately?

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:11pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
MrOverdressed
Five Star Member

rbent member

Is their any interest in this 1:00PM  Ride
Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:14pm

I cant make the 9:00AM start on Sunday due to a volunteer commitment at church.  But according to the FWBA forum their is a 1:00PM start for a 38mile 100K ride at the same Bicycles Inc location.  Is their any interest in this 1:00PM ride?  Some of YALL could ride both.  Smiley

http://www.fwbaclub.org/ride/ride_pop.cfm?page=pop&ride=471

Message from the FWBA forum
Quote:
Plans for the joint FWBA / LSR ride this Sunday have gotten a little
unscheduled, as the FWBA ride has moved their start time to latter in the
day to better accommodate the store employees. The LSR group will still
start at 9:00am from the new Bikes Inc. location in Arlington. We will have
a 100km route and a 150km route, courtesy of Ricky Ray. Pace will vary, and
we should have several different groups riding at several different speeds.
Depending on the route you pick and the speed your ride you may finish in
time to do both rides Smiley We would love to have you join us. There are no
membership requirements, just the good ol' waiver.

Happy Trails, DanD

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:17pm by MrOverdressed »  

Happy Trails! Smiley
Terry Pickl
  IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2007, 6:59am

Bud, I am not familiar with those roads.  Can you reach out to Jerry and let him know?  His e-mail address is:

jeraus@aol.com

I was going to mount my Zipp 404's, but if there is gravel, then I'll ride with my 28mm Brevet tires.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print