Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 6th, 2024, 5:09pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
45+ mile Dallas Northeast ride, Sat 11/3 (Read 1113 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

45+ mile Dallas Northeast ride, Sat 11/3
Oct 31st, 2007, 11:38am

I'll be leading a "Distance Builder" ride Saturday morning with the GDB group, departing from the southwest corner of Preston/Forest at 8AM sharp.  This will be 45-50 miles, heading northeast to Plano to join up with the Plano Eastside Ride's 9:30 departure, riding with them out to the Sachse stop, then winding our way back across Renner and down Meandering Way.
Map is at:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/tx/dallas/602180118

No drops, probable final average 14-15, with cruising speeds of 15-18, with regrouping...  Rest stops will try to be short and efficient.  Planned return by noon to noon-thirty.  Not a WHOLE lot of climbing, but most of it is in the 2nd half...

If the GDB Airport Ride is too fast paced for you, but you want to attempt 45 or so miles, this is the one to join in on!  The weather forecast is wonderful, with almost no wind predicted, and a high in the low 70's....

Paul
214 923 9551

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: 45+ mile Dallas Northeast ride, Sat 11/3
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:41pm

We had a very nice ride today -- Nelson joined us for most of it, and we did encounter Mikey at Plano...  It was a brisk, but good 15 miles from Preston/forest up to Plano Cycling - we took advantage of the minimal early morning traffic to actually ride up the 75 service road northbound from Renner up to 18th, without incident.

The Plano eastside ride had a good turnout as well, so there was a BUNCH of us headed to Sachse, keeping a reasonable 16 mph pace.

We had 27 miles in by the Sachse stop, and headed back from there, coming back across Campbell and Lookout, cutting through Sherrill Park golf course.  Nelson cut off on his own from there and the rest of us wound up getting back at 12:30 with 47 miles in, averaging 14 mph overall.

Good times, and thanks for coming out, Nelson!  I'll get some pics up in the next few days.

FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2007, 7:13am

I'm glad the route worked out well for you. Had you done that before? Joining up with Plano East, I mean?

It was great seeing Rick, Gerry, and Susan, whom I hadn't seen in a very long time. Didn't get to ride with Rick or Gerry, since I managed to get trapped at the back with the more casually-paced group. Did get to ride with Nelson for a few miles, which was nice since it had been quite a while since I crossed paths with him, too.

I noticed that your group included a rider on a Strada, but I didn't recognize the guy. Was he an RBENT'er that I haven't met?

You had a 16 mph average? You must've been moving pretty quickly during the sections where you weren't riding with the Plano East group. I ended with 15.1, and that's only because I broke away to ride with James, once we got to Murphy road, on the way back. The pace was a little frustrating, but it was probably a good thing, considering how little I've ridden lately. It also means that John is successfully keeping the group's pace in line what's been advertised—which we know rarely happens.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2007, 7:15am by FooRider »  

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Kwijybow
Five Star Member

mostly a commuter

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2007, 2:44pm

Hi Paul, and Mike,  a real pleasure getting to ride with you guys.  My house guest called at the last moment to let me know they weren't coming, so I took the opportunity to get in a wonderful ride on a wonderful day.  Paul thanks for helping me identify the creaking from the bike, been chasing various ideas all week and you nailed it, by letting me know it was in the hmm err saddle area.  Mike it was great getting to see you again, I look forward to some more chances here this winter.  I always enjoy checking up on things at your blog!  

Take Care,
Nelson.

Commuter 1Cheesyavidson Impulse
Commuter 2: Motobecane Fixie
Commuter 3: Salsa Journeyman
Recumbent 1: Schlitter Encore 20
recumbent 2: Bacchetta Ti Aero
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2007, 12:57pm

Quote from FooRider on Nov 4th, 2007, 7:13am:
I'm glad the route worked out well for you. Had you done that before? Joining up with Plano East, I mean?

We had tried it a year ago, but it didn't work well.  This time, there was a 90 minute difference between starting times, which was perfect.

Quote:
I noticed that your group included a rider on a Strada, but I didn't recognize the guy. Was he an RBENT'er that I haven't met?

That's Mark Allen, a GDBer who recently converted...  he bought a used Strada with Rotor cranks.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print