Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 6:24am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paluxy Pedal 2007 (Read 1593 times)
robert.j

rbent member

Paluxy Pedal 2007
Oct 13th, 2007, 2:51pm

Pretty much an excellent day for a ride.  Wind didn't start getting up till later in the day, but still some cross winds that could blow you around.  Opted for the 45 mile course, which was plenty for me with all the hills.  Decent roads except for the last 10 miles or so, which were pretty rough.  I failed to stay on the bike all the way up The Wall, but got a lot closer than last year, close enough I'm thinking I might actually be able to do it next year if I work a little harder.  Met up with Ray right before we started and ran into him again at the second rest stop.  I definitely enjoyed his company for the rest of the ride.  He's got a great little Garmin gizmo that spits out the grade on the hills.  I'm thinking Christmas is coming up pretty soon...  Only saw 4 other bents, a P38 and a lowracer and 2 trikes, but didn't get to talk with any of them.
I did set a top speed record for this bike, 42.5 mph along a great stretch of several miles of mostly downhill maybe out about 15 miles before the finish.  Lots of uprights cussing me for hollering "on your left" when they think they're going so fast at 35 or 36 mph!  Great fun watching them unsuccessfully trying to catch up in my rear view mirror!  Especially the three guys that were obviously trying to see which one of them could get in the best tuck and go the fastest.  I blew by them just coasting!  Of course, sometimes it's their turn to laugh when we hit a steep uphill.
Good ride, good company, very enjoyable morning. Cheesy

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: Paluxy Pedal 2007
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2007, 11:26am

Good report, Robert. Was Ray on his upright?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2007, 12:07pm

Ray was on his upright, a really nice bike.  If I remember right, he thought the course was a little hilly for a recumbent.  He may have a point!

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2007, 7:24pm

Good write-up Robert.  I too enjoyed riding with you.

From the start, my goal was to simply have a fun ride for a change.  Last year, while riding my Seven (DF), I finished 3rd in the 100k, and was with the lead pack until the very end.  I've been traveling a great deal the past two weeks and literally unable to work out.  While in Philly last year I became deathly sick (Wednesday/Thursday) with food poisoining.  Then as I started recoving late Thursday, I came down with the worst tooth ache of my life. So bad, I couldn't sleep.  I called my dentist to see if I could get an appointment Friday afternoon when I returned to DFW.  Unfortunetly they close at  noon on Friday.  

As most of you know I had knee surgery earlier this year.  I was given a prescription for hydacodine (sp?) and never took a single pill for pain.  However, as soon as I got home on Friday, I popped two of them bad boys so I could sleep.  I was still pretty high when the ride started on Saturday, thus my goal to just have fun.

I don't have the gearing for the steep, 19% hills on this ride, so I rode my DF Seven.  While I fairly easily made the climbs, I didn't break any speed records.  I'm fortunate to have even ridden 100k considering what I went through the previous 5 days.

I worked out at LifeTime Fitness today and rode the indoor recumbent real hard for an hour.  I'll do 90 minutes tomorrow, then I'm off to Wilmington Ohio for the rest of the week.

Steve, even though this will be my "most out of shape, recoving from illness, 200k ever", I promise that I'll be slow, but 100% determined to finish, even if takes me the entire 13.5 hours!!!!  

We all need times like this in our lives.  It reminds us not only how fortunate we are to have good health, but also reminds us to not take our accomplishments for granted.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #4 - Oct 15th, 2007, 7:29pm

Sorry, in my above post, I said "While in Philly last year I became deathly sick".  I meant last week I became deathly sick.  I don't wish that degree of ilness on anyone...

My Administrative Assistant accompanied me on the trip, and I asked her to stay with me in my hotel room in case I needed to go to the hospital.  That's a story in and of itself I'll tell you all sometime (but not put into writing  Shocked Roll Eyes

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2007, 7:54pm

Glad you're feeling better, Ray. I look forward to riding with you this Saturday.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2007, 9:15pm

Yes, I hope you're feeling better Ray. As I understand,brevets are all about endurance,not speed. We'll be happy just to finish the 200K(and we WILL finish-God willing). Besides,Peggy has a new HID light she needs to break in anyway.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
robert.j

rbent member

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2007, 9:58am

Hey Ray:  Does your Garmin record total climbing for the Paluxy Pedal?  I didn't realize you were getting over all those medical problems.  Glad you're doing better.

Robert Johnson
Bacchetta Corsa
Ventana Mtn Bike
Barcroft Columbia Tandem
Sun EZ1
1970ish French Roold
Email   IP Logged
bikerteam
Five Star Member

Exceed Your
Limitations

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2007, 5:21am

Robert - I'm in lovely Ohio for the rest of the week.  When I return I'll upload my stats from the ride and will post them.  Have a great week.

Ray Torrey
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2007, 1:32pm

Quote from robert.j on Oct 13th, 2007, 2:51pm:
I did set a top speed record for this bike, 42.5 mph..... Lots of uprights cussing me for hollering "on your left" when they think they're going so fast at 35 or 36 mph!  

Sounds just like the last mile of the Texas Time Trial course...  zoom, zoom, "ding ding!"  Grin

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print