Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 17th, 2024, 5:02am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My ride to Belton (Read 454 times)
Rawhide

rbent member

My ride to Belton
Oct 15th, 2007, 5:43am

Friday turned out to be a great day to ride.  Heading south on 174 from the house, 1st stop was a short one in Rio Vista.  Then on to Meridian for another short stop. Took 6 over to Clifton.  Stopped in to visit one of our Purina dealers and he had just left for lunch, so I refueled at a store and headed on to Valley Mills.  On the way, a group of 8 to 10 vintage VW buses passed me.  They were parked in the middle of town when I got there.  Surely they were having lunch.  Stopped at Subway for a quick sandwich then hit the road again, heading south on 317.  I'd driven this route many times and had never noticed the long gradual climbs heading towards Crawford.  They aren't tough by any means, but they just kept coming, it's after noon so it's getting hot too.  I'm about 5, 6 miles out of Valley Mills, and here come the VW's again.  I pass through Crawford on to McGregor where I make another stop to refuel.  Then it's on to Moody where I make the last fueling stop.  I'm standing in the shade in front of the store, when an older guy filling his Dodge truck asks where I was riding from?  I told him Burleson.  He said he saw somebody on a bike like mine earlier in the day near Clifton and I told him that would have been me.  He wanted to know where I was going and I told him to my bro-in-law's place on Lake Belton.  He wished me luck and said to be careful.  

Coming out of Moody there is a few miles of rollers and with the days ride being just about over I was feeling pretty good.  I knew they had the hot tub ready for when I got there.  From Moody it was 17 miles.  My bro-in-law said it was 12.  Total miles ended up at 117.42 with ride time being 7hr and 5min.

This is a very nice route with low traffic and towns are spaced such that there is always one near.  The only downfall was that 85 to 90 percent of this ride was on chipseal.  DJ      

D J Boyd
Bacchetta Carbon Corsa
Bacchetta Corsa
Rans Rocket GL63
Vision R40
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Re: My ride to Belton
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2007, 11:23am

Sounds like a good adventure.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro