Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 2nd, 2024, 12:00pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Browser Add-On? (Read 5282 times)
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Browser Add-On?
Oct 10th, 2007, 4:44pm

Does anybody know why this forum wants to install an add-on to my browser?  It says, "This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Data Access - Remote Data Services Dat...' from 'Microsoft Corporation'.  If you trust the website... (etc.)"

I'm a little paranoid right now, because I just found a virus on my computer.  Just wondering if anybody else is getting this same message.  Thanks.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: Browser Add-On?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2007, 6:39pm

That's a new one on me.  At various times, I've used (gag) Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari with this forum, and I've never seen anything like that.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2007, 7:32pm

Quote from bent_eagle on Oct 10th, 2007, 4:44pm:
Does anybody know why this forum wants to install an add-on to my browser? It says, "This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Data Access - Remote Data Services Dat...' from 'Microsoft Corporation'. If you trust the website... (etc.)"

I'm a little paranoid right now, because I just found a virus on my computer. Just wondering if anybody else is getting this same message. Thanks.

I'm having the same issues with IE. So I downloaded mozilla-firefox this afternoon and have not had any problems in the few times I've accessed the Rbent website(with firefox).

I don't get it,I used IE for 6 months without any issue on the Rbent website,now I can't access Rbent with IE. Stinkin' computers/internet!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2007, 7:52pm

I only use Firefox and haven't had any issues with it.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
My Blog - uneasy-rider.com
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2007, 9:08pm

Firefox it is. As nutty as this is, my company's website doesn't support Firefox. Another reason for me not to work & to ride instead!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2007, 8:41am

I get a message from my virus protection too. Seems like this just started happening.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2007, 10:34am

I had it come up yesterday, too...  I just said "no thanks"

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2007, 11:53am

Sheesh.............that sure sounds like a virus attack. Everyone keep answering "No" to the download, or use Firefox, while I investigate.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2007, 1:59pm

I'm not finding anything suspicious, and even with Internet Explorer, I can't get it to happen. Is there a particular page that does it?

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2007, 5:50pm

The home page, when I first get there...

PB

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2007, 7:15pm

Does anybody know why this forum wants to install an add-on to my browser? It says, "This website wants to run the following add-on: 'Microsoft Data Access - Remote Data Services Dat...' from 'Microsoft Corporation'. If you trust the website... (etc.)"

I finally had time to investigate more. There's more info on that message here.  As long as it just says the website wants to "run", not that the website wants to "install", then it's just wanting to run a browser add-on that you already have, and not download and install anything. It sounds like your permissions and pre-approvals are just set too low. Raise them, or better yet, switch to Firefox.

I use Hijackthis to keep an eye on what my browser add-ons are doing. If you use Firefox, add the Adblock add-on, and subscribe to a list of known ads, you can browse the entire internet ad free, and Firefox is less prone to malicious code than Internet Explorer.

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2007, 7:21pm by Bud_Bent »  

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2007, 8:44pm

Quote from Bud_Bent on Oct 11th, 2007, 7:15pm:

I finally had time to investigate more. There's more info on that message here. As long as it just says the website wants to "run", not that the website wants to "install", then it's just wanting to run a browser add-on that you already have, and not download and install anything. It sounds like your permissions and pre-approvals are just set too low. Raise them, or better yet, switch to Firefox.

I use Hijackthis to keep an eye on what my browser add-ons are doing. If you use Firefox, add the Adblock add-on, and subscribe to a list of known ads, you can browse the entire internet ad free, and Firefox is less prone to malicious code than Internet Explorer.

That's why we call you "Captain",you got it covered. Thanks,Bud.

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #12 - Oct 16th, 2007, 9:02pm

Well, I allowed the add-on to run, and now I can't use my back button while on the forum.  Every page I click on adds two bogus pages to the back list, so I have to drop down the back button list and select the last good page.

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Bud_Bent

Reply #13 - Oct 16th, 2007, 10:03pm

Quote from bent_eagle on Oct 16th, 2007, 9:02pm:
Well, I allowed the add-on to run, and now I can't use my back button while on the forum. Every page I click on adds two bogus pages to the back list, so I have to drop down the back button list and select the last good page.

Are you saying you didn't dump internet explorer and change to firefox?  Better get Hijackthis, and get your browser add-ons in order, then.

Bud
* 2009 RANS F-5 Pro
* 2009 RANS XStream
* 2004 RANS Screamer
WWW   IP Logged
Richard

rbent member

Reply #14 - Oct 19th, 2007, 10:12am

I downloaded FireFox and it fixed the forum problems. I am fairly impressed with it too.

Modified Bentech
Bacchetta Corsa

It's aaaliiiiiiiive!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print