Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 5:07pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New 'bent converts (Read 3855 times)
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: New 'bent converts
Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2007, 7:12am

Quote from woodog on Aug 30th, 2007, 10:28pm:
Okay, here's the reason.

Well, congratulations on the new ride, Woo.  You said it was a 2005, but I can't remember what year Bacchetta switched the frames.  Is yours steel, or aluminum?

With the number of miles you log each year, you're in a whole 'nother class from "when I can get to it" riders like me, but I'll be interested to hear how you like the recumbent once you get it out of B.G. proper and out into the hillier country.  I keep meaning to make it up for Tour de Cave one year, but I always seem to have something else going on--or my lovely bride wants to join me.  Can't take both my girls.  It's either one with her luggage and wheelchair, or the other all sprawled out in the back.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
woodog

rbent member

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2007, 9:12am

Hey Foo,

It's the black frame, so it's definitely aluminum. It might be a 2006. I'm gonna take it on a longer ride this weekend out into the south part of the county, which is still fairly flat with a few hills. I don't remember talking with you about whether you rode when you were here or not, but the south of the county is flat, the east is beautiful rolling hills, and the west is killer hills.  

I've been advised by the seller of the bike, Gary Pichon, to gradually build up the legs before I try to tackle hills hard. He's from Marble Hill, GA, and I checked out the elevation profiles of that area, and no matter where you go, it's uphill.  Smiley

I'm gonna listen to him and put off taking it to the 'stinger' 10-18 % grades of the western part of the county until October. It's definitely geared for those hills with an 11-34 rear and a 53/39/30 front.  

I'm not that concerned about hills. I'm sure it will go up them, and that's all I really need to know.  

If you make it up to BG without your ride, give me a holler anyway. I've got a bike you can ride.  Wink

hey hey hey hey hey hey.... C'mere. What kind of bike is *that*?
  IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2007, 5:17pm

All good reasons, Woo...  especially that numbness thing!!!! Grin

And you're exactly right, you can still have speed and a great workout -- I've dropped 40 pounds myself over a couple  years, with the corresponding health improvements...

Thanks for the info dump!!!!!  

The only thing you'll probably have to get used to is not being especially welcome in the middle of group ride pacelines any more -- you'll have to "pick your spots", especially into the wind....  but don't let 'em bug ya!

Go get 'em!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #18 - Aug 31st, 2007, 5:20pm

Quote from woodog on Aug 31st, 2007, 9:12am:

I'm gonna listen to him and put off taking it to the 'stinger' 10-18 % grades of the western part of the county until October. It's definitely geared for those hills with an 11-34 rear and a 53/39/30 front.

Hmmm.... 18%????   You MIGHT want to look into a 26T granny -- but you probably don't need it...  It's a light bike, and so are you...

PB

woodog

rbent member

Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2007, 5:08pm

grin sezs it all...

woo

IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #20 - Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:46am

So, when you showed up for the club ride, did they all have to sniff you and the new bike?  "Hmm... he smells different, but I think it's still a bike."

Nice picture.  I couldn't help but notice how you got that train to pose for you, and that you have those nice, smooth blacktop roads up there (as opposed to the boulder seal that the TXDOT people use to try and discourage cyclists down here).

Congrats again, and thanks for posting.

WWW   IP Logged
woodog

rbent member

Reply #21 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 2:39pm

Quote from FooRider on Sep 2nd, 2007, 6:46am:
So, when you showed up for the club ride, did they all have to sniff you and the new bike?  "Hmm... he smells different, but I think it's still a bike."

Nice picture.  I couldn't help but notice how you got that train to pose for you, and that you have those nice, smooth blacktop roads up there (as opposed to the boulder seal that the TXDOT people use to try and discourage cyclists down here).

Congrats again, and thanks for posting.

heh. That ride in the picture was just me and another rider. Most of my club had gone to the Clarksville sunrise Century ride. I wanted to go to that ride, but I don't have the handling skills yet.  

today i did go on a 61 mile club ride with 10 others, and since they know me well there was none of the cold shoulder that i expect an unknown rider with a bent might face. (maybe not). These folks know me and like me anyway, so it was just Forrest on yet ANOTHER wierd bike. They asked me to lead out but I requested to stay at the rear of the group, telling them that i was unsure of my skill levels and didn't want to risk taking them out with a boneheaded move. I shouldn't have worried so much about that as it turns out, but better safe than sorry.  

I did ride hills today with the group, even though I promised myself to wait until October. Funny thing, I was expecting to get spanked on the hills, but it didn't happen. I did make sure to spin high cadence on the hills. I didn't leave anyon in the dust, but i didn't get dropped either. One thing that did happen near the end of the ride was this:  

about 5 miles out of town we see a rider turn in front of us. It was Keith, one of the group's stronger riders. I was riding with Brett and John, another of our really strong riders, and I tell Brett 'let's catch the carrot'. I see Keith (about a half mile ahead) go into full tuck, so I know he's seen us and will make us work for it. it's a pretty flat stretch of road, perhaps a 1% uphill grade, and I open it up, reaching and holding 34 mph.  

Amazingly (to me), I drop Brett and John like a rock and quickly cloe the gap with Keith, who was moving at 29 mph on a very windy day, and he says to me 'holy COW... you were FLYING.. then.. holy 'you know the word' check out that bike!' Brett finally catches up with us and we head into the final stretch at a more reasonable pace.  

I really like this bike. I could NOT have caught Keith on my upright. Wink

oh, and Foo, yes the roads in KY are superb. I count myself lucky for that.  

woo

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #22 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:19pm

Quote from woodog on Sep 3rd, 2007, 2:39pm:
..... and I open it up, reaching and holding 34 mph.... ...... I drop Brett and John like a rock and quickly close the gap with Keith, who was moving at 29 mph on a very windy day, and he says to me 'holy COW... you were FLYING.. then.. holy 'you know the word' check out that bike!'

Hee, hee, hee....   Woo, you've just "Done The Demo" on 'em....   Grin Grin Grin

Welcome to 'bentdom! (especially into the wind)

woodog

rbent member

Reply #23 - Sep 21st, 2007, 11:08pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Sep 3rd, 2007, 8:19pm:
Quote from woodog on Sep 3rd, 2007, 2:39pm:
 ..... and I open it up, reaching and holding 34 mph....   ...... I drop Brett and John like a rock and quickly close the gap with Keith, who was moving at 29 mph on a very windy day, and he says to me 'holy COW... you were FLYING.. then.. holy 'you know the word' check out that bike!'

Hee, hee, hee....   Woo, you've just "Done The Demo" on 'em....   Grin Grin Grin

Welcome to 'bentdom! (especially into the wind)

Well I have a new computer and I've double checked the wheel circumference, and there's no way that was 34. 28 maybe, but that would be me spinning at 130, and 130's more than I'm capable of right now. I know, I tried. On a downhill, nearly rocking off the bike I was so out of control! Shocked  

Oh well, the thought that I was super bad was nice while it lasted. However, everything else was right.  

Anyway, a couple weeks later (last weekend) I took the bike on this route  http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Hill-Climber-Delight and the climbs were brutal but I made it over the hills, and that's all that mattered. Felt pretty good after the ride too!  

Here's bikejournal entries of our club's pizza ride a few days later.  

mine:
-------------------------------------
I was wanting to hang back tonight and ride a slow ride (really, I did!) but Joe, Kiersta and Brother John headed off into the distance and I just couldn't stand it. I was looking for the others in the back, but I was in that odd place - far behind the front group and far in front of the rear group. So I pick up the pace to get with the front group. They are ROLLING. Finally catch them a few turns before Dye Ford and then the rollers. Decided to throw restraint to the wind and took off. I got a good bit ahead of the group but I saw Kiersta hunker down and I knew I was done for. I poured on the coal, but still they come. I had planned to be far enough ahead that they would catch me before the big right hand turn and hill, but they caught about half a mile before those sections. I was totally cooked. Joe and Kiersta rolled on ahead (woodogs edit: a familiar sight to me as Joe and Kiersta are seriously strong riders, and kiersta can dust just about anyone I know) and John and I hung on the rear, watching them glide up the steep hills. When we got to the top of Matlock Joe and Kiersta were about to take off again. I said, 'oh no you're not leaving now... I gotta have a minute'. The rest of the ride was calmer, thank goodness. "
---------------------------------------------

Here's Joe's entry (He's JoeBob on bikejournal, my reall name is Forrest, so that's me in his entry)

Joebob:
"I finally got to ride with the club tonight. It has been what seems like weeks since I last rode with the BGLOB group.  

We had a group of around 8 riders that left the park around 5:30. John, Forrest, Kiersta and I took off on a fast paced run down Carter Sims Road to Plano. We headed towards Dye Ford Road and Forrest turned up the steam. Kiersta hung on pretty well and I hung on Kiersta’s wheel as best I could as we traversed the hills at 28 – 30 mph.  

I registered the highest PPT level yet this year. After a very late lunch with my mom and sister in Nashville, a turkey burger with onions and tomatoes, I had little time to digest the sustenance. Oh, the acronym PPT stands for “Puke Point Threshold”. At more than one point I spent some valuable seconds trying to determine if John was too close behind me to safely hurl.  

After cresting Dye Ford at Plano road, we took a couple minutes rest. We headed on to 242 and met up with the rest of the riders and headed back to the park. About ˝ mile from the park Forrest poured on the heat and there was no way I could keep up. Even trying to grab his wheel was soon to be an impossible task. The recumbent has some definite benefits over the standard design. "  

------------------------------------------

What's not said above is that Joe and Kiersta were ahead most of the way, it wasn't a race at all, just fun rocketing, and I took advantage of them when they were unawares!  Roll Eyes

After the ride, no pain except for toasted legs

I really dig riding a bent  Smiley

woo

IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #24 - Sep 22nd, 2007, 6:48am

P.S. for residents of the D/FW Metromess: That's Plano, Kentucky.

Good report(s), Woo.  I'd say that was a lot of hammering for a 75-mile route, but I seem to recall having a lack of restraint on the first day of the MS 150 earlier this year (when I still had some legs).

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2007, 6:52am by FooRider »  

WWW   IP Logged
goldrushdave

rbent member

Kentuckians out there?
Reply #25 - Sep 25th, 2007, 3:45pm

I-m a native Louisvillian myself!!

Any other Kentuckians?

Did you know Louisville had a fairly active recumbent club?

Don't know if they are still active.

David

Email   IP Logged
woodog

rbent member

Reply #26 - Sep 25th, 2007, 9:02pm

I had heard that Louisville had several recumbent riders, and a shop there is even listed as a Bacchetta dealer. I went to visit that shop but they no longer carried Bacchettas and they were 'iffy' as to whether they would in the future.  

Tis a shame, because that day if they had had a Strada in stock I would have bought it. All worked out in the end, though.  

I feel like an intruder around here, since it's geared towards TX and all, but I love the bent.  

I've had it just a tad over 4 weeks and I'll soon crack 1,000 miles on it. The Lemond Zurich, my former favorite machine with high dollar ultra sweet Mavic kysyrium wheels, carbon seat post and costly saddle sits neglected. oh well.  Grin

I was thinking that i could make the Claxton Century on November 10th, but that's WKU's homecoming weekend, and since i'm working in the bookstore and that's a big day for us, it ain't gonna happen.  

You gonna come up to Bowling Green for homecoming, Foo?

woo

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #27 - Sep 25th, 2007, 10:01pm

Certainly Lexington has N-O-T-H-I-N-G in the way of bents....

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #28 - Sep 26th, 2007, 6:47am

Quote from woodog on Sep 25th, 2007, 9:02pm:
You gonna come up to Bowling Green for homecoming, Foo?

No, I'm afraid not.  I never got my dose of school spirit (probably because I was always slaving away in the computer lab), and I only went to a few games even when I was living in Bowling Green.  Kind of a shame, really.  

A buddy from BG was down here on business, a couple months ago, and we got to have dinner with him. To hear him tell it, They have pretty much done away with all the open grassy areas on campus, where people used to play frisbee and lounge around on blankets studying, and put up new buildings.  Sounds like I wouldn't even recognize the place any more.

The next time we'll be up is Thanksgiving.

WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #29 - Sep 26th, 2007, 1:46pm

Quote from woodog on Sep 25th, 2007, 9:02pm:

I feel like an intruder around here, since it's geared towards TX and all, but I love the bent.

woo

Think no such thing, Woodog...   As they say, "ALL converts are welcome..."   Wink   We just consider you a North Texas Wecumbent Wannabe...

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print