Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 16th, 2024, 12:56pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New 'bent converts (Read 3854 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

New 'bent converts
Aug 28th, 2007, 11:21pm

Just noticed that a BikeJournaler I'm familiar with named "Woodog" just bought a used Corsa from BROL classifieds...  His first 'bent purchase, so the Woodog has gone bent!!!!!!!

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Re: New 'bent converts
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2007, 7:50am

Interesting.  Woodog lives in my home town (one of them, at least), and I've often thought that if I ever find myself visiting the folks and have my bike along, I should look him up to get together for a ride.

Lie Back. Ride hard. Grin like a monkey.
WWW   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2007, 4:11pm

He works at a college bookstore....   no answers yet as to why he made the switch!

PB

FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2007, 7:26pm

At the bookstore, eh?  Even better.  I've been wanting to find a connection to see if WKU has a cycling jersey.  Smiley

Say, did you invite Forrest to pop by here?

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2007, 8:05pm by FooRider »  

WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2007, 7:56pm

Quote from FooRider on Aug 29th, 2007, 7:26pm:
At the bookstore, eh?  Even better.  I've been wanting to find a connection to see if WKU has a cycling jersey.  Smiley

A WKU cycling jersey?? Foo,I'll be nice. There are several jokes I could make,but because I like you,I'll leave it alone. What is a Hilltopper anyway??

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2007, 8:05pm

I am.   Wink

I think the whole Hilltopper thing comes as a result of the fact that the whole campus is on a hill.  I know this because my dorms were always at the bottom of the hill, and the technology building where I had most of my comp sci courses was at the top.

WWW   IP Logged
Killer Bee
Five Star Member

CA2.0 proto type

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2007, 8:17pm

That goofy red mutt of a mascot is a good look for WKU.  Classes? You actually attneded?? Can't ya just feel my love?!!!

I like carbon fiber
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2007, 8:48pm

I did invite him to stop by and say hi, but I believe he's at Bowling Green, not WKU...

P

woodog

rbent member

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2007, 9:00pm

heh... thanks for the invite. I've spoken with Foo in the past and yes, I'm at WKU, work at the bookstore here. ....  

but right now, I'm gonna run on home. It's the first week of classes and I don't get to ride the Corsa that became mine this past weekend. I'm at work from 7a.m. till 9p.m. until this weekend.  

later y'all.... but I"ll be back.

woo

hey hey hey hey hey hey.... C'mere. What kind of bike is *that*?
  IP Logged
FooRider

baccheater   '06
Corsa

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2007, 9:24pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Aug 29th, 2007, 8:48pm:
...I believe he's at Bowling Green, not WKU...

Western Kentucky University is located in Bowling Green, Kentucky.  Just across town from the Corvette assembly plant where I used to work.

WWW   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2007, 10:20pm

Heh - I'm from Lexington.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #11 - Aug 30th, 2007, 2:16pm

I toured the 'Vette museum with my son when he was about 10, during a road trip...  it was fun!

PB

woodog

rbent member

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2007, 10:28pm

Okay, here's the reason. I've been riding like a nut for the past four years, and i started because my health was lousy. I weighed nearly 300 pounds and the cholesterol level was nearly 400 points!  

Diet, exercise, and ditching the car got the weight down to 190 and the cholesterol down to 157 without drugs.  

I started riding with my old '85 Nashbar japanese road bike, and in Late October 2005 dropped some coins on a quality road bike, a 2004 Lemond Zurich. Sweet machine. Riding with my bike club was my recreation of choice, and I really racked up the miles, cracking 9,000+ in 2006 and becoming one of my clubs strongest riders.  Problem, though, was that the Zurich, the Nashbar, the Sekai (another Jap cromoly bike), the Xtracycle (my utilitarian bike), and just about any other DF bike i've been on will hurt me on longer rides. Hurt me on the trainer where i would develop technique for the coming season.  

Last year on RAGBRAI I saw lots of bents. I had never seen one before then. Interesting machines. Then I started reading about how comfortable they could be. Then I started hearing about performance recumbents. All the while ending each day with sore wrists, neck pains, 'shrinkage'.

This year on RAGBRAI i took my xtracycle and hauled my guitar across IA. I also developed severe groin numbness (same as last year on the Zurich that i took). I was impotent for 3 weeks. NOT GOOD.  

I like riding long miles, but riding my bike should not mean I beat myself up.  

I have spent nearly 500 dollars on saddles, stems, seat posts and handlebars and even a pro fitting to get comfortable on my Zurich. I also test rode Specialized, Raleigh, Trek madone, Giant... briefly considered having a custom bike built... but then decided hey, i think recumbents can satisfy my need for speed and bust a lung type workouts as well as being kind to my ever aging parts.  

I lurked at BROL and BACCHETTA forums. I decided on the Corsa because a rider named Beertruck took me and DecafBeanBoy on a brisk jaunt and I learned about speed. They just made sense. So I made the decision to get one and get good on one.  

It is my first recumbent. Now I see that there are utilitarian trikes that I can use to haul groceries, and even RANS has developed a bent that can handle an xtracycle, a truly amazing utilitarian device.  

From the few miles I've done so far I couldn't be happier. I'm going to be easy on myself until the muscle groups and handling skills develop a bit more, then investigate training techniques over the winter.  

so there. Woo's bent.  

will I abandon the DF bikes? Let's just say I'll ride the bikes I have the most fun on. If that includes the DF, fine. If not, fine.  

As an analogy I have a 1959 Gibson J-50 acoustic guitar. Beautiful with an incredible action and something of a collector's item. I also have a 1972 Aria Pro II acoustic guitar, a Japanese guitar that was an almost - mid - level instrument when it was made. Guitar afficianados turn up their nose at the Aria but are very interested in the Gibson.  

But the Aria sounds sweeter. Plays sweeter. Stays in Tune.  

Guess which one I play?  Roll Eyes

Woo

IP Logged
woodog

rbent member

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2007, 10:31pm

oh, as far as making an announcement at Bikejournal, I did. On the TIB (today I bought) thread I wrote an entry that read

TIB a 2005 Bacchetta Corsa

that's all that's needed Wink

woo

IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #14 - Aug 31st, 2007, 6:05am

Awesome.  I'll be interested to hear what you think of the new ride in terms of speed comparison in the next 6 months.

Also, We have an HPV race every year in Xenia, Ohio That I'll be attending for sure.  It's a great way to see/ride a lot of bikes and just have some fun.  You should come!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print