Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:16am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 45
Send Topic Print
W.I.B.T. Thread (Read 214729 times)
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: W.I.B.T. Thread
Reply #405 - Apr 10th, 2014, 3:06pm

Ya know Jay ya ol' weight weenie...I surprised  ya don't fill yer tires with ....wait...I better not temp you.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #406 - Apr 10th, 2014, 5:33pm

Quote from johnnybent on Apr 10th, 2014, 3:06pm:
Ya know Jay ya ol' weight weenie...I surprised  ya don't fill yer tires with ....wait...I better not temp you.

Go ahead, tell me. I'm all ears. The big wheel didn't turn the Speed into a rocket this morning at WRL, so I'm open to suggestions.  Cheesy

Email   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #407 - Apr 10th, 2014, 7:31pm

Well Jay.. that stuff those race cars people use... Nitrogen.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #408 - Apr 10th, 2014, 8:01pm

Quote from johnnybent on Apr 10th, 2014, 7:31pm:
Well Jay.. that stuff those race cars people use... Nitrogen.

Hey, thanks, never thought about that.  Smiley

Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #409 - Apr 11th, 2014, 7:59am

Well, since "air" is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen already.......   Roll Eyes

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #410 - Apr 11th, 2014, 8:05am

Quote from jayg on Apr 10th, 2014, 5:33pm:

Go ahead, tell me. I'm all ears. The big wheel didn't turn the Speed into a rocket this morning at WRL, so I'm open to suggestions.  Cheesy

Were you spinning out with the 451 wheel?  Ya still gotta push that big wheel (and the rest of the machine and rider) against the wind...  I'm finding that, having gone from the 52T to the 55T on the Xstream, that I'm still not able to spin out in 55/11 except on a downhill...  top end spinout is about 38+mph, but it's TOUGH to get there on a flat!!!

Same reason I'm sticking with a 559 (26) on the Rocket -- it's got room for a 650 or a 700 (I think), but with the more upright seating profile, it wouldn't do much good, because I can't really get fast enough to take advantage of it!

I'd stay with the 559(26) on the trike, though...  it probably does make SOME difference!     Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2014, 8:06am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #411 - Apr 11th, 2014, 2:59pm

Quote from FlyingLaZBoy on Apr 11th, 2014, 8:05am:
Quote from jayg on Apr 10th, 2014, 5:33pm:

Were you spinning out with the 451 wheel?  Ya still gotta push that big wheel (and the rest of the machine and rider) against the wind...  I'm finding that, having gone from the 52T to the 55T on the Xstream, that I'm still not able to spin out in 55/11 except on a downhill...  top end spinout is about 38+mph, but it's TOUGH to get there on a flat!!!

Same reason I'm sticking with a 559 (26) on the Rocket -- it's got room for a 650 or a 700 (I think), but with the more upright seating profile, it wouldn't do much good, because I can't really get fast enough to take advantage of it!

I'd stay with the 559(26) on the trike, though...  it probably does make SOME difference!     Smiley

Just jesting, Paul.  Smiley  I've had a heavier 26" wheel/tire combination on the trike and felt, maybe, it rolled a little faster and smoother than with the stock 451 wheel/tire combination. With original gearing and 451 wheel I spun the trike out at 28 mph with 52/11 gear combination. The old guy can't spin out the trike with current gear combination (48/11) and a 26" wheel. I ordered the 650c wheel/23 mm tire combo, because it's somewhat lighter than the 26" wheel/1-1/8" tire combo, and I thought the narrower tire might make the trike roll a little faster. Both combos have roughly the same OD. Really don't think the 650c wheel and 23 mm tire makes that much difference. Time will tell. The biggest difference I notice about the big wheels is the trike is turned from a sprite, hill-climbing machine into a lumbering cruiser when the 451 wheel is replaced by either of them.

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #412 - Apr 11th, 2014, 6:28pm

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Rat Rider

Recumbents Across
Texas

Reply #413 - Apr 13th, 2014, 12:14am

Lightfoot Traveler -- Nighttime bike.

Metabike Mystique
Lightning Phantom II
CruzRocket indoor recumbent Zwift trainer
Ranger
Dakota

Need dependable wheels?
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #414 - Apr 18th, 2014, 6:00pm

I just bought the TerraTrike Rambler listed in the classified section of BROL - complete with 26" rear wheel conversion and various accoutrements...  should have it in a week or so, but I need y'all to keep it a secret  - I've gotten it for Terrie, as a present for Mother's Day, which is also her birthday.  So, nobody say nuthin' at the Brunch Ride!

(And no, she never logs on here, so she won't see this post...   Smiley  )

« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2014, 1:22pm by FlyingLaZBoy »  

FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #415 - Apr 28th, 2014, 7:03am

It's heeere....  thanks, Mike Russell!!!  Mike and spouse just HAPPENED to be driving up to Michigan to pick up a different bike (a velo), and brought the Rambler back with them...

Even with the 26" rear wheel, it fits nicely in the Prius...

artcat

rbent member

Reply #416 - Apr 28th, 2014, 8:54am

Now when are you getting a trike to ride with her?

Green Musashi
Bachetta Corsa SS
Black Catrike 700
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Digital Mag Trainer
Reply #417 - Apr 28th, 2014, 9:50am

I've been thinking of building a power meter, using a generator adapted to my old trainer, and a wattmeter and load bank. Saw this yesterday: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_544129_-1___202382. It would be cheaper than building a power meter. I'm a sucker for cheap prices (Harbor Freight is one of my favorite stores), and have been stung many times. There has to be something wrong here, because a trainer with a power output feature is normally about $1,600 more expensive than this Nashbar unit. Well, I'm going to find out pretty quickly, because I just ordered one.  Smiley

I hate using a trainer for its intended purpose. My intent is to use it as a stand when I need to get on my bikes or trike and pedal them to test a modification under load or set boom extensions. I'm going to use the power output feature (I hope) to determine optimum boom extensions for my recumbents. The trainer will fit recumbents with 130 and 135 mm dropout spacings, as long as wheel diameter is a minimum of 26".

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2014, 10:00am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Denman

rbent member

Reply #418 - May 3rd, 2014, 9:54am

Having dealt with hotfoot over the years using Shimano SPD pedals it was time to find a solution as things were worsening.
The 17 year old SPD design offers about 1.5 square inches of platform, which for me is a 120 PSI force on the ball of my foot roughly 5000 times an hour for each foot.  Ouch.

Hotfoot is a result of nerves swelling which becomes a painful numbness around the ball of the foot.  No matter how the cleats are set to the shoe it happens after about 10 miles.

Looked at Speedplay, cool looking, but not for me.

Eggbeaters by themselves weren't much better but coupled with the Mallet DH pedals looked like the thing to try.  So try them I did.

After the first 15 mile trial and no hotfoot I'm thinking they may work pretty well.

BTW, the lights are the Martha Stewart specials on weak batteries; pretty visible in the dark, especially with new batteries.  My $10 Arizona Whip.

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2014, 9:59am by Denman »  
Email   IP Logged
rcko

rbent member

Reply #419 - May 22nd, 2014, 8:23pm

Pickup a 9 speed Shimano 12-36 rear cassette for the Corsa.  Help get up the short steep stuff that's around here...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 45
Send Topic Print