Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 7:35am
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tongsheng TSDZ2 E-Trike Project (Read 5950 times)
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Tongsheng TSDZ2 E-Trike Project
Reply #15 - Feb 8th, 2021, 6:37pm

Rode the trike 33.7 miles today. Have ridden 150 miles without having to recharge the battery. Battery voltage is now 46.4 v. Battery charge indicator on control panel is showing 4 out of 6 bars. Could possibly get 200 miles out of a charge, but not going to try it. Currently recharging the battery.

The throttle has failed, mechanically. For some reason it has locked up. No instructions in the boxes on who to contact, if there is a problem. Guess I will order a replacement from ECO Cycles. A new throttle costs only $10. Shipping is free.

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2021, 8:26am by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #16 - Apr 29th, 2021, 9:57pm

Replaced the big ring with the 60T bad boy shown in the below photos. Didn't have to remove the crank arm and spider, so the installation didn't take very long at all. This new ring is a "narrow/wide" type. The teeth are taller to lessen the chance of the chain dropping. Since the ring doesn't have a built-in guard on it, I will now be able to manually place the chain on the inner 44T "get me home" chain ring. Hope the ring helps increase the top speed of the trike a little.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #17 - May 3rd, 2021, 10:25pm

Tested the 60T chain ring today at WRL. Got the Speed up to 29.5 mph on West Lawther. That's 2 mph faster than I was able to achieve with the 58T ring. Might be able to top 30 mph with max effort and assist level set at 4 of 4 (Turbo).

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2021, 10:29pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #18 - Jul 9th, 2021, 3:47pm

About 2,650 miles on the drive, now. The driveline locked up twice, yesterday. Was thinking: Uh oh, the plastic drive gear is failing. Later, noticed the electronic shifter wasn't shifting through all the gears. This morning, pulled the trike under a shade tree and checked out the driveline, which had an unusual amount of resistance to movement. Discovered the chain had come off the derailleur's jockey wheel and was dragging on the top of the cage. Put the chain back on the wheel and moved the chain on the proper cassette cog (aligned with the jockey wheel). Fine-tuned the shifting, using the Archer on-line app. Driveline drag is now normal and shifting is perfect. Glad I didn't use excessive force to overcome the locked up driveline, otherwise I could have turned the derailleur cage into a pretzel (Been there, done that).

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #19 - Jul 30th, 2021, 9:29am

Yesterday, mileage on the drive exceeded 3,000. It's still operating perfectly. I've seen recommendations on line to not fully charge the drive's battery, because it shortens its life. I've been charging the 48v Hailong Shark battery fully, because the higher the voltage, the better the drive performs. The fully-charged voltage is 55.1. So far, it's been consistently charging to this voltage.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2021, 5:24pm

The drive developed control problems with about 3,450 miles on it. It's still giving assist, and the throttle works, but it's difficult to get the assist above Level 1. And when I do get it above Level 1, it's difficult to get it back to Level 1. It's just not responding to the + and - buttons on the display like it should. Manipulated the cable connection between the display and the controller, then took the trike on a test ride this morning. No change, so I ordered a new $60 controller from ECO Cycles. It's already in the mail. It appears I'll be able to replace the controller without removing the drive.  

Tongsheng uses the same motor for all of its drives. The controller is programmed to the desired power rating (350 w, 500w, or 750w) by the manufacturer, or supplier in ECO Cycles case. So, in the future if I wanted to change my 500 watt drive to 750 watts, I would order a new controller programmed to 750 watts by ECO Cycles.

Email   IP Logged
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob

since 1933

Reply #21 - Aug 27th, 2021, 7:29pm

Quote from jayg on Jul 30th, 2021, 9:29am:
Yesterday, mileage on the drive exceeded 3,000. It's still operating perfectly. I've seen recommendations on line to not fully charge the drive's battery, because it shortens its life. I've been charging the 48v Hailong Shark battery fully, because the higher the voltage, the better the drive performs. The fully-charged voltage is 55.1. So far, it's been consistently charging to this voltage.

For what its worth:
I recently had a discussion with a AA Mechanic about Lithium Batteries which they use on their aircraft. He is telling me to keep them fully charged for long life. There seems to be a lot of opinions about these batteries.

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2021, 7:32pm by NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob »  
NO BATTERY bwand E-Bob   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #22 - Aug 27th, 2021, 9:16pm

Quote from bwand on Aug 27th, 2021, 7:29pm:
Quote from jayg on Jul 30th, 2021, 9:29am:

For what its worth:
I recently had a discussion with a AA Mechanic about Lithium Batteries which they use on their aircraft. He is telling me to keep them fully charged for long life. There seems to be a lot of opinions about these batteries.

I've been charging my 48v rated battery to 55.1v, since February, with no discernible effect on it. It's a large battery, so doesn't have to be charged as often as a smaller battery. Never thought about it, until now, but that's another good reason to go with a big battery. Rated battery life is usually 800 to 1000 charge cycles. Going with a big battery might be more economical in the long run.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #23 - Sep 4th, 2021, 7:33pm

Spent yesterday in the Mosquito Works, replacing the defective original controller with a new motor controller I purchased from ECO Cycles. Wasn't as simple as I thought it was gong to be, but the installation went well. Dropped one of the tiny screws on the pavement. Couldn't locate it visually, nor could I find if when I swept the  area with a large diameter magnet. Had to get a replacement from ACE Hardware, which wasted about 45 minutes. Put the drive back together and installed all the cables. Now it was time to power the drive up and go for a test ride. Pushed the "power button" and, uh oh, "Error Code 3" appeared on the display. Looked up the error code in the display manual. Oh no! Error Code 3 is "Controller Failure". So I replaced a semi-working controller with a dead controller. Back to the drawing board. Next time I replace the controller, I won't complete the full installation, until I verify it's working properly.

Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #24 - Sep 25th, 2021, 4:59pm

Couldn't order a motor and another controller, because ECO Cycles' new website is still partially in transition. So, went ahead and ordered a new 500w Tongsheng drive kit from ECO. I planned on leaving the old display in place to keep from having to remove a bunch of wiring. When I connected every thing up to test the new drive, and pushed the "On" button, the display acted up like it did with the supposed failed motor and controller connected to it. Replaced the old display with the new one. When I pushed the "On" button, everything was normal. Secured all the wiring, then took the trike for a test ride. Drive operated perfectly. Apparently, the source of the problem with the old drive was the display. I have the display mounted on a carbon fiber "Tee" that is anchored to the left steering lever. It's subject to a whole lot of vibration at that location, probably more than it was designed for. It's my theory that vibration killed it. It's actually designed to be installed on a bike's handle bar, centered on the bike's head tube. It would be subjected to a lot less vibration when mounted at that location. Guess I'll order a spare display when the mileage on the new drive approaches 3,400. The VLCD-5 display is not expensive (Around $50).

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2021, 5:01pm by jayg »  
Email   IP Logged
Lowdown

rbent member

Reply #25 - Oct 1st, 2021, 3:12pm

I'm gonna have to check out the BROL thread on ins. My insurance guy rolls his eyes at ebikes.  
The only things I have found are motorcycle level cost and I have too many bikes to make that attractive.
I had a roller skater run in front of me on an announced pass last week , and I shudder to think of what might have happened.
There are lots more punks on ebikes on the trail going 20+ with very little to suggest they have a remote clue
and I see that as foreboding re banning or PI  stalkers looking for a suit.

ICE XL, Trident Spike, Terra Trike 3.2, BF SatRday
  IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #26 - Oct 1st, 2021, 4:57pm

Quote from Lowdown on Oct 1st, 2021, 3:12pm:
I'm gonna have to check out the BROL thread on ins. My insurance guy rolls his eyes at ebikes.
The only things I have found are motorcycle level cost and I have too many bikes to make that attractive.
I had a roller skater run in front of me on an announced pass last week , and I shudder to think of what might have happened.
There are lots more punks on ebikes on the trail going 20+ with very little to suggest they have a remote clue
and I see that as foreboding re banning or PI  stalkers looking for a suit.

I'm guessing the average E-bike rider doesn't know he/she is not covered by their homeowner policy.  

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print