Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 6:59pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tejas 500 1 lap (Read 749 times)
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Tejas 500 1 lap
Sep 19th, 2020, 8:53pm

Tejas 500 Race report  Well I figured on 1h45min, hoped for 1h30min, but finished in 1hr25!!  Result!  Especially with a good headwind in the hardest part. I forget how much climbing there is on this Glen Rose course.  
3rd in age group, 19th male, first and only recumbent.  
I did decently at not blowing myself up on the first half. Started 2/3 from the back of the group and quickly passed by many.  Started catching them back after 5 miles and played cat and mouse with several until I was either left behind or left them behind on the back half.  Considering where I came from and having only been back on the bike since April I'm quite happy.  

I was sad to learn that Dan was no longer running it. There was no tshirt and I was only given a ribbon, no trophy. That was disappointing. Also sad that I didn't know a single person there and saw no other bents bar one trike.  

I was excited to see the Central texas Major Taylor cycling team. If you don't know, Major Taylor was kinda the Jesse Owens of cycling.  You should look him up.  Black cyclists are something of unicorns in cycling. Seeing such a big group gives me some hope.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
rmillay
Five Star Member

rbent member; go
Clowns!

Re:  Tejas 500 1 lap
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2020, 6:42pm

Hold on to those hopes.  Cycling and racing are becoming very popular in some African countries.  But the pro tour had only one black cyclist in the Tour d' France; Kevin Reza won 1000 Euros.

You have reason to be happy with your performance with so little practice.  I assume they are still using the 26.5 mile course we used to use.  It has about 50 feet of climbing per mile, most of it on the first two thirds, and is not recumbent friendly, with few places to take advantage of momentum.  On the other hand, it's not particularly friendly to DFs either!.  Good work!

Catrike 700
RANS Formula LE , sold
Catrike Musashi
Catrike Speed
Catrike Speed, sold back

"It [Nissan Titan] wasn't named truck of the year because it wasn't the best!" Clay Cooley in his TV a
Email   IP Logged
square_corners
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re:  Tejas 500 1 lap
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2020, 3:29pm

23-Sep-20      WED       DALLAS ROAD CYCLING (Ferndale Loop+)  

Once again, had to cut it short. This time electronic shifting failure making the long hills on the Ferndale Loop less than easy and unable to easily unclip from new pedals making it unsafe to ride. Nice visiting with Cindy, Bill, and Rocky however. Very cool temperature today but tolerable, and light wind so otherwise easy riding.
 BIKE: Specialized Roubaix; start time: 8:26; end: 10:41; avg speed:15.6; max: 31.6; climb: 696; miles:25.43; mtd miles:810.13; ytd miles:8727.99  
 CLOUDY; wind: NE 9; start  temp: 64; min: 59; avg: 61; max: 68; end: 64  
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5580861017

Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print