Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 5th, 2024, 1:05pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bafang BBS02 e-assist (Read 3056 times)
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Bafang BBS02 e-assist
Jul 11th, 2019, 11:21am

When I got Terrie's ICE Adventure HD, I put a Bafang BBS02 assist on it, having ridden Dave Rothgeb's trike with that assist a year or so ago...  We bought the parts from BafangUSADirect, for about $1000, and John's installed it.  Now that we've had it a couple months, I thought I'd make some notes about our riding experiences with it....

* You set a particular maximum speed (apparently you can go above 25mph...), and also set how many steps you want to have -- 1-3, 1-5, or 1-9.

* The unit actually acts as a speed controller, as opposed to a "torque sensor" responding to your push the way the Copenhagen works.  A "1" setting attempts to get and keep you at the 10-11 mph range, with the other steps being a percentage between that and max speed setting.  It seems to resist a push to go faster, although it doesn't resist faster downhill speeds.

* We've been using it with 9 steps to a 24mph max -- so a "2" gets her to 11-12mph, "3" is 12-13", "4" is 14-15", etc...  So the motor works to get you to a particular speed, and you adjust your gearing so you're pedaling at a comfortable rpm to keep that speed.  The "9" step setting gives you good 1-2mph adjustment capability when you're riding with others.

* When we're riding together and she starts lagging behind, I just say, "Kick it up a notch or two!" and she's back up with me...

* The assist is particularly helpful when starting from a stop... there is also a throttle overdrive that can be used from a stop, which requires no pedaling.

* The assist will try to keep you at speed, especially uphill...

* The added weight of the motor and battery actually help the stability of the trike in turns, lowering the COG.

* If you're considering e-assist, go for the biggest battery (amp-hours) that you can get -- weight of a battery is irrelevant with a e-assist, and it's better to have longer battery life...  we went with the 17.5 Ah "jumbo shark," which appears to provide 50+ miles of use.  YMMV.

Paul

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2019, 11:23am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

"A hundred miles on a bike? How many
days does that take you?"

Email FlyingLaZBoy   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Re: Bafang BBS02 e-assist
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2019, 5:14pm

I had noticed that the "max speed" setting on the Bafang controller would go past 25mph...  so I continued on up.  The top speed setting on the controller maxes out at......  61mph....    Shocked

I didn't really want to try THAT fast on the AdventureHD, so I set it to 35mph, and did a test around the neighborhood, tracking with Strava...  Sure enough, the Bafang is definitely NOT limited to 25mph...  zoom, zoom!   Smiley

PB

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2019, 3:12pm

Just a little faster and you could go back in time. Just need that 1.21 gigawatt battery.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2019, 10:54am

An interesting resource for Bafang owners...  although it applies to the "pre-2016 redesign" version...  but it gets into the depths of programming of the controller, and gives you an idea of what factory settings are implemented...  like a "1" assist being defaulted to 40% power.

[note:  copy and paste the entire link ]

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs0
2/  

and an update about the 2016 redesign  

https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/07/12/bafang-completely-redesigns-the-bbs02-a
nd-tells-no-one/  

PB

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2019, 11:01am by FlyingLaZBoy »  

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2019, 5:56pm

For anyone who cares,  I'm getting 70 plus miles on a battery charge.  I'm still sitting 2 bars but I'm too chicken to run it all the way till empty.   I'm somewhat conservative with it and it's pretty flat overall.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2019, 9:25pm

Quote from aikigreg on Nov 11th, 2019, 5:56pm:
For anyone who cares,  I'm getting 70 plus miles on a battery charge.  I'm still sitting 2 bars but I'm too chicken to run it all the way till empty.   I'm somewhat conservative with it and it's pretty flat overall.

What is your motor's wattage and your battery's voltage and amp-hour rating?

Email   IP Logged
aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2019, 5:40pm

I got the big one....😁

Quote from jayg on Nov 11th, 2019, 9:25pm:
Quote from aikigreg on Nov 11th, 2019, 5:56pm:

What is your motor's wattage and your battery's voltage and amp-hour rating?

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #7 - Nov 18th, 2019, 4:16pm

I believe the "super shark" battery is 17.5 aH 48V

Paul

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2019, 12:06pm

That's the one!

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Mac

rbent member

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2020, 8:44am

Now that you had the Bafang BBS02 for over a year, I would like to know how well the system preformed reliability wise. My wife expresses an interest in the system. She defiantly needs some help on the hills and keeping up with me. It seems easy to install and the price is right. Much easier to install than the Bionx I have on my 700.  
Mark

Email   IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2020, 10:11am

Mac.. I have over 6000 miles on the Day6 and have had no problems yet. Don't know what number it is. But it sure helps going up hills and a strong head wind. Smiley

IP Logged
kenbent6
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2020, 10:12am

Quote from kenbent6 on Feb 28th, 2020, 10:11am:
Mac.. I have over 6000 miles on the Day6 and have had no problems yet. Don't know what number it is. But it sure helps going up hills and a strong head wind. Smiley

OOPS!! it is a 350 watt

IP Logged
FlyingLaZBoy

'16 ICE SprintX fs,
'16 Rocket, '12 KHS
Mocha

Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2020, 6:30pm

The Bafang continues to perform without issue... although there have been a couple times where the motor lock ring has loosened up, allowing the motor to "rotate" slightly against the derailleur post.  Tightening and locktite fixed this -- Greg had the same issue a month or so ago.

Terrie is definitely having fun leaving me behind (briefly) when climbing hills...  and she is doing 30 mile rides with still 60% or so left on the battery.

aikigreg

recumbent ninja

Reply #13 - Aug 24th, 2020, 1:20pm

I have charged 4 times and have 430 miles on the trike. But I'm now only using level 1 or 2 out of the 9 when i climb. On the flat it's 0 unless I'm trying to catch up to Alexis when she's cooking.

I'm in it to Schwinn it.
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print