Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 6:38pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wildcats at River Legacy Park (Read 2145 times)
Mizta_Nice

rbent member

Wildcats at River Legacy Park
Apr 23rd, 2019, 4:47pm

Since I am in Arlington, I tend to stick to the trails out here, and overall I can't complain. I am usually out there during the week so there aren't any crowds to compete with and I can get in a nice twenty or thirty mile ride at my leisure. Lately I have been seeing a grey and white bobcat or wildcat (depending on where you grew up) wandering on the trail. Yesterday he came up pretty close to me, eight or so feet. I wasn't scared so much as I was worried, as it was pretty far out into the woods and I had passed a couple of mothers with small children.

Wondering what the etiquette is in this situation? Do I warn others that there is a big cat wandering about, or is that assumed when you're in a nature preserve you're going to see that type of wildlife? I don't want to freak anyone out unnecessarily if I don't need to.

"Slow and steady wins the race" is what all us slow and steady people say when we don't win the race.
WWW   IP Logged
johnnybent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Wildcats at River Legacy Park
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2019, 8:33pm

We see bobcats at WRL often. One just sat on the side as I passed on the trail. I wouldn't worry about them. Now coyotes in the area have been a different matter. We have not seen any attacks like they have in the Plano/Frisco area but if they're out in the day they ain't healthy.  And you could tell anyone heading their way about them. Just in case keep your Rick Perry with you.    

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2019, 9:29pm by johnnybent »  
Email   IP Logged
jayg
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2019, 10:20am

A couple of years ago, saw a sandy-colored bobcat on the White Rock Creek Trail in Valley View Park with a squirrel in its mouth. At first, thought it was a dog, because it was so big. It ran down into the creek bed, as I approached it.

Ran across a large rooster in the woods, last Sunday afternoon, as I was riding the trail extension, North of Valley View Park. A bobcat or coyote probably had nice chicken dinner that night.

Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2019, 9:13pm

The bobcat at River Legacy has become a tourist attraction.  I rode on the trail  about a month ago, heading back east towards Hwy 360 and had a lady and a man ask if I had seen the bobcat recently.  They actually came out to RLP just to see the bobcat.  The last one that I encountered at RLP (last year) was very well mannered.  He/She bobcat was heading towards me on the correct side of the trail and as I approached, he/she got off of the trail, waited until I passed, then got back on the trail and kept walking.  I was impressed and wondered where or who had trailed he/she.  I would say if people go over to RLP often, they are aware of the bobcats but I sure would hate for a child to get bitten.

IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2019, 3:42pm

Off topic a bit.

I was unaware of this trail and am now curious as we have family down there and I may want to ride it.  Appears as if you can start on the south end at Dotty Lynn and ride it north east to 360.  Is it all paved, conducive to a trike and wide enough to actually enjoy?  How long is it from end to end?

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2019, 8:27pm

Quote from Phantom Rider on Apr 28th, 2019, 3:42pm:
Off topic a bit.

I was unaware of this trail and am now curious as we have family down there and I may want to ride it.  Appears as if you can start on the south end at Dotty Lynn and ride it north east to 360.  Is it all paved, conducive to a trike and wide enough to actually enjoy?  How long is it from end to end?

The main entrance to River Legacy is Margaret/Green Oaks Blvd.  You can do approximately 15 miles within the park, but if you take the trail out of the main entrance and west over to Village Creek (Dotty Lynn), you can get around 25.  It is all paved trail except for the two areas where they are working on the bridges om River Legacy.  The park has laid dirt paths around the bridge construction.  You can ride it but it's usually too wet so I walk my bike or trike since it's not a very long dirt path.  There is also an entrance just north of Green Oaks Blvd / Hwy 157 (Collins).  The last time I was there last week, that entrance was closed due to flooding. Village Creek has a low water crossing just as you leave the Village Creek park to head east which floods as well. The trail is paved and double wide--nice to ride.

IP Logged
Phantom Rider
Five Star Member

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2019, 8:46pm

Quote from diannalightning on May 5th, 2019, 8:27pm:
Quote from Phantom Rider on Apr 28th, 2019, 3:42pm:
Off topic a bit.

The main entrance to River Legacy is Margaret/Green Oaks Blvd.  You can do approximately 15 miles within the park, but if you take the trail out of the main entrance and west over to Village Creek (Dotty Lynn), you can get around 25.  It is all paved trail except for the two areas where they are working on the bridges om River Legacy.  The park has laid dirt paths around the bridge construction.  You can ride it but it's usually too wet so I walk my bike or trike since it's not a very long dirt path.  There is also an entrance just north of Green Oaks Blvd / Hwy 157 (Collins).  The last time I was there last week, that entrance was closed due to flooding. Village Creek has a low water crossing just as you leave the Village Creek park to head east which floods as well. The trail is paved and double wide--nice to ride.

Sounds interesting, thank you.

2017 Cruzbike V20
2019 ICE VTX Black
SOLD - 2011 GT Karakorem 1.0 - 2012 Lightning Phantom II - 2004 Lightning P38 2013 Rans Rifle 2014 Catrike 700 - 2014 Bacchetta CA2
Email   IP Logged
Mdicke

rbent member

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2019, 11:24pm

At one point the parking lot at the Dotty Lynn and was noted for having some security issues related to breaking but have not heard anything recently. They have left the brush close to the side of the trail on that end as well so a couple of the corners are blind and tight.  Up on the east side there is a cross over into the Viridian trail system but habe not been on it yet  As noted the central part can be a little crowded on weekends

Rans F5
Catrike 700
Specialized Allez (DF)
  IP Logged
bent_eagle

Recumbents Rock!

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2021, 1:10pm

I know this is an old(ish) thread, but my wife and I just rode the River Legacy trail and saw the bobcat mentioned earlier.  It did exactly as others have said, moved off the trail as we approached then back on after we went by.  

It was our first time on the trail east of 157 (Collins).  We parked in the lot on the west side of 157 and north of Green Oaks.   We first rode westbound but the trail was fairly crowded with walkers and joggers, too curvy in places, and is still under construction in a few places, forcing you to get off and walk your bike unless it has wider tires or three wheels.  Not fun.

Then, we crossed under 157 and headed east.  The difference compared with the west side was dramatic.  Because there is only one entrance to the trail east of 157, it's not very crowded and nearly all bicycles.  Mostly wooded, occasional open views of the Trinity River valley, fairly new concrete, not too curvy, and nice and wide.  It's so nice that it just might be my new favorite trail in the metroplex.

My wife was on her road bike and I was on my Ti Aero.  We saw another guy on a Bacchetta and someone on a trike.  Not sure what brand or model. Highly recommend trying out the trail if you haven't already.  Enjoy!

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2021, 6:43am by bent_eagle »  

Steve W
Bacchetta Ti Aero
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print