Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
rbent - Recumbent Bike Enthusiasts of North Texas
May 3rd, 2024, 5:06pm
News: Want to join the rbent Forum? See this thread.
Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dallas Senior Games (Read 1324 times)
diannalightning
Five Star Member

rbent member

Dallas Senior Games
Mar 16th, 2019, 3:15pm

It was a little cool in the morning but the sun was out so all were happy.  There were 4 or 5 2-wheel recumbents, aound  6 or 7 trikes, 1 velo and 1 corovelo.  It was a good showing for recumbents in general.  There was a couple there on Catrikes that lived in Carrollton and didn't know about the forum.  I gave the wife the URL---hope they look us up.  Everyone seemed to have fun, good company and NO RAIN.  What more can you ask for?  Oh, and they ran the whole thing on time this year.  

Glad everyone showed up.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2019, 3:17pm by diannalightning »  
  IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Re: Dallas Senior Games
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2019, 8:26pm

I wish it had been the same temperature for the 5k as for the 10k. I would have brought my M1 and then there would have been two M1's there! I was told I couldn't race my corovelo and I told them then to take all the aero bars off. I pulled up to starting line and they let me go. Had a lot of trouble just before the hill with an asthma attack because of the cold wind. I had forgotten to put the windshield back on after taking the hood off the day before the race. I think Doug decided to race his DG velomobile in the 10k after he saw they let me race the corovelo in the 5k. I could hear those wheels coming way before he flew by me! Sounded like tires on the interstate. I was doing pretty well in the 10k until the 5 mile mark, then it was just survival mode! Anything over a kilo is ultra racing for me!

Good time and good recumbent turn out. Next year there will be at least two velomobiles in the race!

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2019, 8:28pm by jrob_bent »  

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
reever

rbent member

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2019, 8:56pm

You get what you train for....... Looking back at last year's races I lost a few mph this year. I kind of thought I really didn't have to train for races that were this short. No excuses....I just rode less this year than in last years.

Oh, and did I mention that Steven Weins was just on fire this year? He took off so fast and gapped me so early in the 20K that I thought 'he must think this is just one lap around this thing!" At least I was hoping he thought that. Turns out he was just in good enough shape to maintain that speed all the way around--twice. Very tough guy.

I don't know how I got to be the first guy to go in both time trials. Not an excuse--just an observation. Having that thing behind me really had me going--as in going WAY TOO FAST--the first quarter mile of the 5k. Wasn't wearing a heart rate monitor, but it felt like it was close to 200bpm, and I was up to over 25mph. The M5 or NoCom or whatever it was passed me before the hill! I passed him back going up the hill, but after the hill he just cruised on past me like he wasn't even trying. I dug deep to stay within maybe two seconds of him at the finish. So, of course I'm thinking this guy who puts 32 seconds on me is by far and away the winner, but Steven on his CA2 put a dent in that guy!!!

I heard a few rumblings about letting recumbents go on to nationals. It'll never happen. There is too much variation in recumbent design. There would have to be ten categories. The upright folks have one type of bike--it's all standardized. There are many, many more of them than there are of us. They have paid their dues......for years. Let them have their thing and we'll have our own fun.....just on a smaller scale.

Adults should have fun so kids will want to grow up!

For every mile of road there's two miles of ditch.

I'd rather be sorry for something I did than for something I didn't do.
Email   IP Logged
MrWizard
Five Star Member

bonus mile sponge

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2019, 11:21pm

What do you think the chances of them letting me get near that track again next year ?

Here's my on bike 20km run + awards starting at 35:23 https://youtu.be/MoymHTOaVCc?t=2123
fun comments from the announcer ( anyone know who this guy is?  )  are at 28:23 and 36:26

Quote from reever on Mar 17th, 2019, 8:56pm:
You get what you train for....... Looking back at last year's races I lost a few mph this year. I kind of thought I really didn't have to train for races that were this short. No excuses....I just rode less this year than in last years.

Oh, and did I mention that Steven Weins was just on fire this year? He took off so fast and gapped me so early in the 20K that I thought 'he must think this is just one lap around this thing!" At least I was hoping he thought that. Turns out he was just in good enough shape to maintain that speed all the way around--twice. Very tough guy.

I don't know how I got to be the first guy to go in both time trials. Not an excuse--just an observation. Having that thing behind me really had me going--as in going WAY TOO FAST--the first quarter mile of the 5k. Wasn't wearing a heart rate monitor, but it felt like it was close to 200bpm, and I was up to over 25mph. The M5 or NoCom or whatever it was passed me before the hill! I passed him back going up the hill, but after the hill he just cruised on past me like he wasn't even trying. I dug deep to stay within maybe two seconds of him at the finish. So, of course I'm thinking this guy who puts 32 seconds on me is by far and away the winner, but Steven on his CA2 put a dent in that guy!!!

I heard a few rumblings about letting recumbents go on to nationals. It'll never happen. There is too much variation in recumbent design. There would have to be ten categories. The upright folks have one type of bike--it's all standardized. There are many, many more of them than there are of us. They have paid their dues......for years. Let them have their thing and we'll have our own fun.....just on a smaller scale.

Email   IP Logged
jrob_bent
Five Star Member

rbent member

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2019, 11:09am

You did great Doug! I'll be there with the WAW next year! I am not even asking, I'll just pull up and race just like we did this year.

I get about 15 miles per honey bun!
Email   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print